The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks' Team Toughness

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

True, but there are a lot of sad faces because Virtanen didn't hit the ground running.

If Virtanen had started out, as we all hoped, and management probably expected, JB would have been hailed genius and we would have been well on our way.

There is stil time for Jake to turn it around, and if he does, the plan may still come together... 

You bet. Virtanen is still young.  His confidence  and ego took a solid beating but he has the physical tools to dominate the corners and destroy guys with hits.  Once his body peaks he will become a force to reckon with, either in the minors or hopefully with us.  He could be traded for a new pick too if management decides to cut ties.

My hope is that Benning acquires physical role players either through the draft, free agency, or trades, whose presence helps to shelter the young skilled players coming into the team within the next few years. I'd prefer to see a team commitment to playing a hard, sensible, skilled, and explosive type of hockey led by players who will stick up for their teammates, in every facet of play.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You bet. Virtanen is still young.  His confidence  and ego took a solid beating but he has the physical tools to dominate the corners and destroy guys with hits.  Once his body peaks he will become a force to reckon with, either in the minors or hopefully with us.  He could be traded for a new pick too if management decides to cut ties.

Go on the Utica forum where there is a radio Rock? broadcast posted and Green is talking about young players coming into the League. It's not hard to read between the lines that at some points he is talking about Jake.

I like the idea of getting an all round bigger and more tougher team. But in the more immediate future I'd like them to aquire someone like Peluso or maybe use Pedan as a 4th line forward. Pedan skates well for a big guy and would provide a tougher presence than Dorset in games where it would be needed, he could also be used in defense in a pinch like injuries etc.

• Upvote 1

Well we have shied away from drafting.signing/trading for top 6 players who have size speed, skill and physicality for years. Kassian was supposed to be one and Jake the other that comes to mind. 

We need to stick at it. There is no point having size on the bottom 6 when your top 2 lines are getting pummelled. That is mainly why I didn't like the Loui signing, especially for that term.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Tkachuk is a bit of a punk, and not really indicative of toughness. Hell, I'd say Ferland has him beat in the physical category, although when referees aren't calling late hits, anything goes.

Tkachuk is tough, he went against Brayden McNabb, is abrasive and truculent.  Opposing teams want to take his head off.  We need players like him on the Canucks imho.

Horvat has that, as does Boeser. Players who hate to lose, who can handle and dish out physical play, and who have more skill than Tkachuk.

I take points over skill anytime.  Tkachuk has 46 points, just for comparison, Horvat has 50, Brandon Sutter has 33.  Points win games, not skill.  Just think Stanley Cup Finals 2011, truculence wins.  

14 minutes ago, Nuckchuks said:

Tkachuk is tough, he went against Brayden McNabb, is abrasive and truculent.  Opposing teams want to take his head off.  We need players like him on the Canucks imho.

I take points over skill anytime.  Tkachuk has 46 points, just for comparison, Horvat has 50, Brandon Sutter has 33.  Points win games, not skill.  Just think Stanley Cup Finals 2011, truculence wins.  

What are you? Tkachuks brother? Tell that to Crosby, Kane and Toews...

JB preferred OJ... get over it.

6 hours ago, Freeridebc said:

After seeing how many cheap shots this kids taken in his rookie season, I couldn't cheer for that. 

Well, wouldn't you want to have Tkachuk dishing it out for the Canucks when Marchand punches the Sedins in broad daylight.  That will be the push back we need.  You cheap shot us, we can dish it back.  Who's doing that job for the Canucks now?  Maybe Dorset but he is not going to last long.  He had neck surgery.  That is not a good sign. You can't really train your neck to be stronger so one more season max for Dorset.  He was a trooper but way too small with the neck snapping back too many times, ergo the surgery.  Hope he doesn't have screws in there cos contact sports is contraindicated in that case.  

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Well we have shied away from drafting.signing/trading for top 6 players who have size speed, skill and physicality for years. Kassian was supposed to be one and Jake the other that comes to mind. 

We need to stick at it. There is no point having size on the bottom 6 when your top 2 lines are getting pummelled. That is mainly why I didn't like the Loui signing, especially for that term.

Pretty blanket statement, you included every player attribute possible "size/speed/skill/physicality".  What's left?  That would mean they aren't looking for any top six players. Then you contradict yourself by saying stick to it.  Which is it?  Stick to what?

Put a little more effort into your responses, it makes it look like they haven't drafted or signed anyone.  It's insulting to the other posters who put in an effort.  

Edited by Borvat

Canucks have a good skating great fighting Dman that can play  forward for us   playing in Utica.

Pedan.

I would love to see him given minutes as a 4th line forward. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

54 minutes ago, Nuckchuks said:

Burrows was traded sadly, but I reaching the end of his time in the NHL. Brayden McNabb is a big guy for sure, but he also loves to throw cheap elbows, so maybe Tkachuk wants to learn from another dirty player?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/does-mcnabb-get-away-with-elbow-on-henrik/

54 minutes ago, Nuckchuks said:

Skill usually ends up with points. Truculence usually ends up in penalties. 

And how many Stanley Cup finals have happened since 2011?

My hope is that Benning acquires physical role players either through the draft, free agency, or trades, whose presence helps to shelter the young skilled players coming into the team within the next few years. I'd prefer to see a team commitment to playing a hard, sensible, skilled, and explosive type of hockey led by players who will stick up for their teammates, in every facet of play.

We need a Bieksa type player in the front and back end.  The Miller / Hansen TO incident was fantastic given they aren't known for this sort of stuff but it showed that the heart of our team is cushy to the rest of the league.  No way we would get pushed around like that with an Odjick on our team.   I know you could count the number of true enforcers on one hand now but all it would take is one team to go Philly on the league and pick up five or six bruisers that can take a shift and the arms race would be back with a vengeance.

No fan from any team likes it when there is no push back or retaliation for nasty cheap plays.  Our team could have three of four enforcers and it wouldn't change much in the standings...But other teams would hate playing us.

Just now, IBatch said:

We need a Bieksa type player in the front and back end.  The Miller / Hansen TO incident was fantastic given they aren't known for this sort of stuff but it showed that the heart of our team is cushy to the rest of the league.  No way we would get pushed around like that with an Odjick on our team.   I know you could count the number of true enforcers on one hand now but all it would take is one team to go Philly on the league and pick up five or six bruisers that can take a shift and the arms race would be back with a vengeance.

No fan from any team likes it when there is no push back or retaliation for nasty cheap plays.  Our team could have three of four enforcers and it wouldn't change much in the standings...But other teams would hate playing us.

Well Gudbranson has that nailed down on the defense. I do agree having a physical force on the forward corps is highly necessary. I'm hoping that Benning makes Evander Kane an offer that he can't refuse. 

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

What are you? Tkachuks brother? Tell that to Crosby, Kane and Toews...

JB preferred OJ... get over it.

I'm not his brother or his agent, feel free to suggest your own sandpaper for the Canucks.  Have to admit that 46 points for a 19 yo rookie is a pretty good season. 

On 3/29/2017 at 8:30 PM, Squamfan said:

select and player like tkachuk and not ollie juolevi thats a start

haha, I agree with you but you are getting the hate on for your comment.  

Mind you to be fair to Joulevi, he looks like a great player and if paired with someone who clears the crease, he would be awesome.  He would be like a Duncan Keith!  Just pair him with a Brent Seabrook.  

But again people forget they are posting on a 'get tough' thread!  if we need more grit, Tkachuk is the guy, no disrespect to Joulevi.