The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks' Team Toughness

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

2 minutes ago, Nuckchuks said:

No, we are not casting for Slap Shot.  Tough hockey players, not goons.

The guy has really good offensive numbers this year too.  Big, tough, mean, and skilled.  Why the heck not draft a guy with that resume?

1 hour ago, Borvat said:

Pretty blanket statement, you included every player attribute possible "size/speed/skill/physicality".  What's left?  That would mean they aren't looking for any top six players. Then you contradict yourself by saying stick to it.  Which is it?  Stick to what?

Put a little more effort into your responses, it makes it look like they haven't drafted or signed anyone.  It's insulting to the other posters who put in an effort.  

That post you are responding to seems pretty straightforward. Not sure what you are having trouble following. He wants top six quality speed and skill, along with enough size and physicality to provide pushback/be difficult to play against.

And the "stick at it" refers to picking up more players like Kass and Jake who have the potential to provide all of those attributes. No contradiction that I can see.

45 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well Gudbranson has that nailed down on the defense. I do agree having a physical force on the forward corps is highly necessary. I'm hoping that Benning makes Evander Kane an offer that he can't refuse. 

There was some issue with Evander, he was in the dog house in Winnipeg.  If he is not a good team player, then he won't be a good fit.  He has the skills and toughness for sure but character is also important, a prima donna won't be good for the team.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The guy has really good offensive numbers this year too.  Big, tough, mean, and skilled.  Why the heck not draft a guy with that resume?

Ok, I prematurely assumed that he was a goon for getting suspended.  I don't know him.  So you may very well be right.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I did look up Zack MacEwan, he must be from the same ilk as Hague.

On 2017-03-29 at 8:59 PM, Elvistein said:

I seriously think that it starts when the Sedins and Edler are gone.  Our leadership is soft...  Travis Green needs to take the tape of the Flames vs Kings game tonight and show Virtanen how Tkachuk has played...  IF we can get Virtanen, Tryamkin and Gudransen playing with grit and push back every game... and we have a stud captain in Horvat...  that leads with grit and determination....  then things will get better in a hurray for our team!  

Leadership too soft during our best chance at a cup? The Sedins are anything but soft. The idea you gotta fight/hit to bring toughness is absurd. They battle night in night out, almost always against other teams physical, shutdown guys. I hope our young guys gain half the toughness and leadership of the Sedins.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

That post you are responding to seems pretty straightforward. Not sure what you are having trouble following. He wants top six quality speed and skill, along with enough size and physicality to provide pushback/be difficult to play against.

And the "stick at it" refers to picking up more players like Kass and Jake who have the potential to provide all of those attributes. No contradiction that I can see.

The post indicates they aren't drafting or signing size/speed/skill/physicality - top six players.  What attributes are left?  Then says stick at it.

Kass was dealt for basically nothing (because he was missing what JB holds in high esteem - character- the only thing not previously mentioned) and isn't here and Jake hasn't made it and some people think he never will, specifically top six.  

That's seems like a contradiction.  

Edited by Borvat

29 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

i heard WD on tsn1040 saying the low amounts of hits this team delivers doesn't concern him as long as they're playing hard. dafuq. 

well i am with you there.  the team doesn't finish checks, they rather crash into the boards.  I have had enough of this Zen philosophy.  'we have to find a way'  'not hitting doesn't bother me as long as we play hard' 'we want to finish well this year and start next year  we we left it'  

Would be nice to actually address the problems: like we are not fast enough, we need more grit,  we need more pressure on the forecheck and finish our checks'  That may inspire more hope in the fans.  Not only is the core group 'stale'  Coaching is a little 'stale'

• Upvote 1

i need help.  My password seems to be good for one sign in only, is there something I'm doing wrong?  I have to reset my password every time to get back in.  So frustrating.  They also lock me out for 30 minutes at a time?  I don't understand the rationale of that other than maybe their server cannot handle the traffic volume.  Your suggestions will be appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Nuckchuks said:

Well, wouldn't you want to have Tkachuk dishing it out for the Canucks when Marchand punches the Sedins in broad daylight.  That will be the push back we need.  You cheap shot us, we can dish it back.  Who's doing that job for the Canucks now?  Maybe Dorset but he is not going to last long.  He had neck surgery.  That is not a good sign. You can't really train your neck to be stronger so one more season max for Dorset.  He was a trooper but way too small with the neck snapping back too many times, ergo the surgery.  Hope he doesn't have screws in there cos contact sports is contraindicated in that case.  

Yeah of course I want someone in our forward depth that will take care of that.  However someone who will cheap shot all Star players in their rookie year? Naw. 

Gudbranson had an off year. Hopefully Virtanen pans out this season. And an off season acquisition along with perhaps Tryamkin taking some off season training to learn to defend himself, I think that may have us set. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Freeridebc said:

Gudbranson had an off year. Hopefully Virtanen pans out this season. And an off season acquisition along with perhaps Tryamkin taking some off season training to learn to defend himself, I think that may have us set. 

Heard Virtanen has gone down to 213 from 240 and is in much better shape.  Heard he is learning the game in Utica.  Hopefully he can come up next year.  He was drafted same year as Nick Ritchie who is doing well in Anaheim with 28 points.

Tryamkin is not naturally mean, that's a bit of a problem.  If he can be unleashed, watch out.  He had Jamie Benn's helmet off, could have destroyed Benn but didn't happen.

I have to say ......we have to stop whining about the past and start looking to the future.........

We may not have our elite players yet, but they may be here, they are all so young......Bert, Naz, hank and Dank all took time to develop.....

As for tougher players, we have some, and even Groot, has it, just not as much as some want, but he is plenty tough,,,,,,just wait until he gets mad....it may take a lot, but every body has a boiling point

My bet is Benning may be looking for talent first, and if someone shows up that He think is both he will take him, but he will be looking for elite talent now

My bet is he trades talent and picks for talent and toughness in 1 for 1 trades, afterward he has all the other pieces in place

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nuckchuks said:

Heard Virtanen has gone down to 213 from 240 and is in much better shape.  Heard he is learning the game in Utica.  Hopefully he can come up next year.  He was drafted same year as Nick Ritchie who is doing well in Anaheim with 28 points.

Tryamkin is not naturally mean, that's a bit of a problem.  If he can be unleashed, watch out.  He had Jamie Benn's helmet off, could have destroyed Benn but didn't happen.

I watch most games with my old man.  We agree that it's inevitable that someone tests him. See what he will take. If he's that big he will have to learn to be mean, that'd be one hell of a stigma being the 'gentle giant'.

Being said though, you can tell how Frickin strong he is, and some regular hits he has made, just look so punishing.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well Gudbranson has that nailed down on the defense. I do agree having a physical force on the forward corps is highly necessary. I'm hoping that Benning makes Evander Kane an offer that he can't refuse. 

I have mixed feelings about him but would be happy if we got him and he's matured.  Look at Maroon having a career year with McJesus scoring his 27 the goal last night reminds me that there are others capable of this role. Stewart is one of them. Huge man that rarely loses and is intimating to other big men. Prout and Peluso are also big guys that can play ten minutes without hurting you.   

19 minutes ago, Nuckchuks said:

i need help.  My password seems to be good for one sign in only, is there something I'm doing wrong?  I have to reset my password every time to get back in.  So frustrating.  They also lock me out for 30 minutes at a time?  I don't understand the rationale of that other than maybe their server cannot handle the traffic volume.  Your suggestions will be appreciated. 

Try TeamTuffness for a reelgud password. It takes you everywhere you want to be...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Nuckchuks said:

There was some issue with Evander, he was in the dog house in Winnipeg.  If he is not a good team player, then he won't be a good fit.  He has the skills and toughness for sure but character is also important, a prima donna won't be good for the team.

Have you not noticed the tear that Evander has been on lately? He's letting his play do the talking lately. 

Byfuglien is a bit of a hypocrite too considering that he was charged with being extremely intoxicated on a boat in a lake in Minnesota. 

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Leadership too soft during our best chance at a cup? The Sedins are anything but soft. The idea you gotta fight/hit to bring toughness is absurd. They battle night in night out, almost always against other teams physical, shutdown guys. I hope our young guys gain half the toughness and leadership of the Sedins.

The twins are great players and class acts, but to call them tough is a stretch, at least in the classical hockey sense of the word. They rarely hit, never stood up for teammates, and tended to be thrown off their game against more physical teams-especially in the playoffs where they often had trouble scoring. Also their leadership left a lot to be desired, they've always been quite passive rather than agressive like Linden or Smyl. Like I said great players, but not tough or great leaders, which is OK they've still had great careers. 

11 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

The twins are great players and class acts, but to call them tough is a stretch, at least in the classical hockey sense of the word. They rarely hit, never stood up for teammates, and tended to be thrown off their game against more physical teams-especially in the playoffs where they often had trouble scoring. Also their leadership left a lot to be desired, they've always been quite passive rather than agressive like Linden or Smyl. Like I said great players, but not tough or great leaders, which is OK they've still had great careers. 

The few times I see one of the twins acting tough is when the other twin has been knocked down pretty hard

My vote for best example of team toughness this season is Ryan Miller jumping in to save Stetcher in Toronto. Being the goalie, that doesn't say a lot about the rest of the orca jerseys out there, save Gudbranson. Special mention to Labate in SanJose for his first fight and  Tryamkin for the biggest hits during this season. Steep drop off after that , maybe throw in Biega and Pizza for their grit .

thats about it. Makes me wonder , Prust for Kassian and a 4th or 5th was it ?