The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks' Team Toughness

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

I would like to see a guy added who will cross the line when lines have been crossed with our players. A mad dog who will take a penalty to break a guys nose and let em know all game long I'm coming for you I'm coming for you I didn't like that last play on Stetcher, Baertschi etc and before you leave here tonight you are gonna have a broken nose. Come across the middle and take a phone call from DOPS.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
On 3/30/2017 at 1:12 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Like a lot of these comments. Guessing the Van hockey market is rather tired of polite, finesse play, & Lindenning are well-aware.

Would be nice to see them build a gritty team like the '94 run. Not easy to assemble such a cast, assuming at least a dozen other GM's have a similar blueprint in mind.

Respect is deserving for our elite cast of the past decade, but I'd like to see a more hard-nosed identity, as our key kids develop into their prime. Would prefer more depth-roles being given to NA'n, bowling ball skaters.

Been over 2 yrs since making this thread. Of course at that time, so many of us were utterly fed up with the team always having their lunch $ lifted.

It's nice when we combine the last 2 summers of FA-signings/size & push-back. Beagle, Roussel & these new faces. If Tree returns, we are truly in business. Not really outa' control-lunatics, just a good steady bunch of guys that should stand up for the jersey.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing how it influences many of the youth.

********************************Lastly ..1994!******************************

How many CDC'ers would love it if we maintain a solid, competitive team(for a number of seasons), continually inserting top youth(ELC's), but always keeping that 1994 identity, of a driving squad with backbone? Seems to be on the cusp...

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, J-23 said:

Time to bring this thread back.

How tf are Stecher and Motte the most physical guys on this team?

I thought we were supposed to get tougher as a whole this off-season.

We did but we didn't bring in an alpha dog in like reeves or Anderson until we do we will play the same way..... Sad but true 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

We did but we didn't bring in an alpha dog in like reeves or Anderson until we do we will play the same way..... Sad but true 

Would they play the same way they do in Vegas or Columbus? Did Gudbranson play with the same fire, defending his teammates, like he did in Florida?

It seems to me that the only constant with players that are traded to Vancouver, is that they're injured within the season.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Would they play the same way they do in Vegas or Columbus? Did Gudbranson play with the same fire, defending his teammates, like he did in Florida?

It seems to me that the only constant with players that are traded to Vancouver, is that they're injured within the season.

Dorsett was the guy, miss him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think reeves and Josh would both live up to their hype. 

Gubby I don't know what happen but I wouldn't put him in the same sentence as reeves and Anderson cause those two could work out better cause for one reeves sticks up for his team anywhere he goes and josh I think would work cause his use to being the heavyweight , sticking up for guys and he already has ties to bo , which might help Bo find a mean streak. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I think reeves and Josh would both live up to their hype. 

Gubby I don't know what happen but I wouldn't put him in the same sentence as reeves and Anderson cause those two could work out better cause for one reeves sticks up for his team anywhere he goes and josh I think would work cause his use to being the heavyweight , sticking up for guys and he already has ties to bo , which might help Bo find a mean streak. 

I'd put Gudbranson past Anderson from a toughness perspective, as I distinctly remember Guddy throwing Anderson on his ass when he was poking around Markstrom's pads during a game Vancouver had against Columbus. Anderson merely got up and skated away.

Reaves is a tough customer for sure, but I've not seen him and Guddy spar, so until that time (if it ever happens), the jury is out.

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd put Gudbranson past Anderson from a toughness perspective, as I distinctly remember Guddy throwing Anderson on his ass when he was poking around Markstrom's pads during a game Vancouver had against Columbus. Anderson merely got up and skated away.

Reaves is a tough customer for sure, but I've not seen him and Guddy spar, so until that time (if it ever happens), the jury is out.

But pasted that I think reeves and Anderson both stand up for their teammates more. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

But pasted that I think reeves and Anderson both stand up for their teammates more. 

Could that be an overall team culture that makes that possible? Would either player play the same way if they played here?

Sometimes the optics for this team aren't so flattering in that regard.

• Upvote 1

Could that be an overall team culture that makes that possible? Would either player play the same way if they played here?

Sometimes the optics for this team aren't so flattering in that regard.

Your bang on the money blunt. It's one of the reasons we don't see Jake flatten people anymore. 

We need a coach kinda like torts , that will get the boys playing a chippy two way game.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I recall(& hate the recollection) lengthy 5-on-3's when we tried to fight back w/Torts' team, especially in Calif, Jan 2014(was it bxb games?)

The two rulebooks became clear as day.

I think Tort's's one failing was not going for the tri-fecta of ( minute power plays against.

remember that blow hard from US tv blaming / jeering Sestito? 

I always thought if they wemt out and got a 3rd 9 minute power play against it would have looked worse for the bush league than it would for Van/Torts/Sestito.

as it was Torts backed down, then took his frustration out on the Calgary coach. 

Which made it all look like it was Vancouver's fault all along as opposed to Bush HL and Bush reffing

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

rousell tough  motte tough miller tough benn tough   ferland tough but concussed    ,  did we lose any fights no but   we are lacking size in the lineup especially at center  and up front  , time to get that tree on the backend as well

We have tough but we need is a tough SOB like kesler and juice , I use those two cause their the best we had. 

We need a coach and a sob or a heavyweight like Anderson or reeves. 

Even burr mentioned it on kes and juice podcast, he could play his game cause juice had his back....we need that mentality again

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

rousell tough  motte tough miller tough benn tough   ferland tough but concussed    ,  did we lose any fights no but   we are lacking size in the lineup especially at center  and up front  , time to get that tree on the backend as well

Motte/Beagle are tough in the sense that will battle along the boards and block shots, but nobody is intimidated by them.

Miller picks his spots (not a bad thing) he's a gritty player that only fights if he is jumped or defending a teammate from a dirty hit.

Benn, same thing with Miller, although i had hoped he would be a little more physical in stepping up on ppl in the blueline. 

Ferland's fighting days are numbered if or when he comes back, he will be gun shy for sure.

Schaller is not in the lineup regularly enough, and he doesn't instigate fights anyway.

that leaves Roussel as our sole instigator/fighter. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

We have tough but we need is a tough SOB like kesler and juice , I use those two cause their the best we had. 

We need a coach and a sob or a heavyweight like Anderson or reeves. 

Even burr mentioned it on kes and juice podcast, he could play his game cause juice had his back....we need that mentality again

ya his name is ferland  , but we know that story ,  ya bring trymakin in  he will ragdoll a few guys  ,,  Get big mac in the line up  ,  I do agree we need a big tough sob of a center like getzlaf /kesler  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Motte/Beagle are tough in the sense that will battle along the boards and block shots, but nobody is intimidated by them.

Miller picks his spots (not a bad thing) he's a gritty player that only fights if he is jumped or defending a teammate from a dirty hit.

Benn, same thing with Miller, although i had hoped he would be a little more physical in stepping up on ppl in the blueline. 

Ferland's fighting days are numbered if or when he comes back, he will be gun shy for sure.

Schaller is not in the lineup regularly enough, and he doesn't instigate fights anyway.

that leaves Roussel as our sole instigator/fighter. 

the op is about toughness not intimidation , so basically you want a knuckle dragger  to start fights  ?