The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion- No NHL in 2018 olympics

Terrible mistake. Who cares if the NHL season is shortened. It should be closer to 50-60 games, not 82 anyways. 

So I wonder if this means the lockout is a certainty then. 

Also I wonder which players will go regardless. Ovechkin for Sure, a couple Russians also I assume, I wonder if anyone from Canada will go

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

The quality of Olympic hockey just took a huge hit.

Well the Mens Olympic hockey. The Women from Canada and America always put on a show, especially in medal rounds. I'm 100% going to watch that rather than spengler cup castoffs.

Just now, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

This cracks me up because you know the good players are still gonna go. You think Ovi's gonna hang around DC because Bettman told him too? Please. 

Ovi has the full support of Capitals owner Ted Leonsis to participate. 

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Terrible mistake. Who cares if the NHL season is shortened. It should be closer to 50-60 games, not 82 anyways. 

So I wonder if this means the lockout is a certainty then. 

if we have another lockout bettman should be replaced, idoit has had three lockouts in his career

Just now, Zhukini said:

Well the Mens Olympic hockey. The Women from Canada and America always put on a show, especially in medal rounds. I'm 100% going to watch that rather than spengler cup castoffs.

Very true. Well hopefully the officials tell whoever is playing in the men's games to go out there and play like girls.

Honestly, as much as I will always be rooting for team Canada, it is going to be absolutely HILARIOUS to watch Ovi versus the B team from every other country. 

Ovi don't care. Ovi gonna show up all alone and grind his way through a mountain of scrubs straight to sweet sweet Olympic gold. 

Just now, mll said:

Ovi has the full support of Capitals owner Ted Leonsis to participate. 

What could Leonsis do if he didn't support it and Ovi went anyway? Fine him? Suspend him? Terminate his contract? Guys like Ovi are pretty much untouchable if they want to go.

Stupid decision. I'll watch and also hope that the star players rebel and go anyways. What are the owners gonna do? They can't spoil relations with their star players lest they face the threat of losing them. They don't want to lose their star players over a two-week tournament.

Personally disappointing that we won't get to see some great hockey and a dominant Team Canada.  McDavid and Crosby would have been great to watch.

On the other hand I can't help but admire the NHL for not bending to the will of the IOC, which is constantly trading the title of "Most Corrupt Sports Organization on Earth" with FIFA. 

3 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

if we have another lockout bettman should be replaced, idoit has had three lockouts in his career

But he got what the owners wanted out of those lockouts.  Why would they replace him?

6 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

What could Leonsis do if he didn't support it and Ovi went anyway? Fine him? Suspend him? Terminate his contract? Guys like Ovi are pretty much untouchable if they want to go.

His statement - he has Ovi's back to go to the Olympics.

Archived