The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion- No NHL in 2018 olympics

47 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

I never liked that professionals were going to the olympics, isn't it supposed to be amateur sport anyways!?!?!

I never liked it either.  For the amateurs who could never make it to the professional levels, the Olympics was their only dream.  Why take it away from them?

34 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

The Nhl did approach the NHLPA twice with offers to facilitate the olympics if they extended the current collective bargaining agreement. The players were not interested and now they're the ones crying. 

Why should the NHL be allowed to link the CBA and Oly play, when it is iirc not in the current deal or any other historic deal?

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

Why should the NHL be allowed to link the CBA and Oly play, when it is iirc not in the current deal or any other historic deal?

Yea that's just a dirty bargaining tactic that Bettman knew wouldn't fly. Typical move by him to try and put blame on anyone but himself.

Can't see them avoiding another lockout in 2 years. Bettman shows no respect towards the players or NHLPA. He thinks he can take more and more from them every time they negotiate. 

Article from Pierre LeBrun on ESPN http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19076145/washington-capitals-star-alex-ovechkin-says-going-olympics :

TORONTO -- Alex Ovechkin did not blink Tuesday, saying he still intends to play in the Olympic Games for Russia next year regardless of the NHL's announcement that it was pulling the plug.

"Yeah, I didn't change my mind and I won't," the Washington Capitals superstar captain told a huge media scrum after the morning skate at Air Canada Centre.

"Because it's my country," Ovechkin added. "I think everybody wants to play there. It's the biggest opportunity in your life to play in the Olympic Games. So, I don't know, somebody [is] going to tell me 'don't go,' I don't care, I just go."

He also remains hopeful, however, that an NHL deal can still be salvaged.

"Yeah, I hope so," he said. "Again, right now, it's still time to make a decision; you can say whatever, but next year's schedule is not out yet. So if the schedule is not going to the Olympic Games, then you can see they don't bluff. But again, still long time, still everything can change. But in my mind, like I said already, I'm going. It doesn't matter what."

Russian and Capitals teammate Evgeni Kuznetsov echoed Ovechkin, saying he, too, plans to go either way, though he said his thoughts at the moment were elsewhere: on Monday's bomb attacks in St. Petersburg, Russia.

"I didn't really pay attention yesterday about that [Olympic announcement] because there were some tough things in St. Petersburg," Kuznetsov said. "But it is what it is. I still hope [the NHL] will let us play. But nothing is going to change from my point of view."

Which is to say, he still intends to go.

"Of course, if Russia needs us, of course," Kuznetsov said. "It's from the heart for Russian people. We'll see though. Maybe they'll let us go."

1 hour ago, JamesBlondage said:

I never liked that professionals were going to the olympics, isn't it supposed to be amateur sport anyways!?!?!

The Olympics should be about each country's best facing off. Who cares if they get paid or not.

If Sweden asks , will the twins go? They would be on the last year of their contract anyway, thus little to lose. If they go and the league levies a fine or suspension they can simply retire and miss the last few paychecks. would leave the team in a bit of a jam, but it seems this team and others support the league decision so screw the league.

2 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

An important thing to remember is that for players who come from Europe, an Olympic Gold is essentially their equivalent of a Stanley Cup. We're steeped in the lore and tradition of Lord Stanley's chalice here in North America, and we certainly care about the Olympics, but for a young hockey player from somewhere in Russia or Finland, they don't dream about scoring the overtime goal in the Stanley Cup final, they dream about winning Olympic Gold for their country.

I totally understand why Ovi would go regardless.

Just now, skolozsy2 said:

I'm sure the guys whose paying their salaries probably care a wee bit.

Yeah I'm talking about the broader structure of the olympics as a whole. I think the idea that it should be for amateurs only is silly. 

1 minute ago, Bitter Melon said:

Yeah I'm talking about the broader structure of the olympics as a whole. I think the idea that it should be for amateurs only is silly. 

I totally understand what you're saying, and as I stated in an earlier post, it's really a matter of preference. 

My favorite game of all time was USA-Russia 1980.  Game never happens if it were the professionals playing though.  But I can also appreciate how your golden goal for Canada never happens without the professionals.

Both great games....matter of preference. 

2 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

I totally understand what you're saying, and as I stated in an earlier post, it's really a matter of preference. 

My favorite game of all time was USA-Russia 1980.  Game never happens if it were the professionals playing though.  But I can also appreciate how your golden goal for Canada never happens without the professionals.

Both great games....matter of preference. 

There were professionals playing... the Russian players.

4 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

I'm sure the guys whose paying their salaries probably care a wee bit.

Who me?  The fan who buys the merchandise and the tickets?

I could care less.  I'm more concerned about the upcoming lockout which will no doubt occur as a result of this.

I'm actually also hoping that players snub the NHL ASG and world cup as a result of this.

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Who me?  The fan who buys the merchandise and the tickets?

I could care less.  I'm more concerned about the upcoming lockout which will no doubt occur as a result of this.

I'm actually also hoping that players snub the NHL ASG and world cup as a result of this.

No, not you......you're just the customer.  The owners pay the salaries, and they have final say over what their employees do.  

6 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

There were professionals playing... the Russian players.

Hmmmmm, guess you're kinda right....let me rephrase it.  The 1980 Olympics didn't include the participation of NHL players, and still produced entertaining hockey, and my favorite game of all time. 

Archived