The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion- No NHL in 2018 olympics

18 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

There were professionals playing... the Russian players.

Thats just it. The reason why the Ruskies won so many golds for so many years before the NHL players participated. They cheated (surprise surprise) by insisting that their Red Army team was not "professional", even though it was the highest talent their country produced and they played as much as any professional team anywhere.

But I'd be ok with watching our best amateurs against their best amateurs. In fact it would be refreshing. But what is an "amateur"? and who would decide that?

I'd be ok with substituting the World Junior Tournament that year. Any player, signed or not signed, but not playing for their NHL or KHL team yet, or some number of limited games, and between 17 to 19 years. (Although that could be expanded for this one time)

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Thats just it. The reason why the Ruskies won so many golds for so many years before the NHL players participated. They cheated (surprise surprise) by insisting that their Red Army team was not "professional", even though it was the highest talent their country produced and they played as much as any professional team anywhere.

But I'd be ok with watching our best amateurs against their best amateurs. In fact it would be refreshing. But what is an "amateur"? and who would decide that?

I'd be ok with substituting the World Junior Tournament that year. Any player, signed or not signed, but not playing for their NHL or KHL team yet, or some number of limited games, and between 17 to 19 years. (Although that could be expanded for this one time)

I'd be okay with maybe 22 years old or younger (to include college players) and less than one season of professional experience, or something of that nature. 

A question for anyone who knows....how talented are the 22 year olds in the Swedisk/Finnish elite leagues?  How comparable are they to the college/over-age players in North America?

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bruins/bruins_insider/2017/05/jeremy_jacobs_on_nhl_olympics_i_think_the_four_people_that

Jeremy Jacobs wears two hats. He is, of course, the owner of the Boston Bruins, but he is also the Chairman of the NHL Board of Governors. And as such, his opinion on league issues matter.

Yet again, today, Jacobs expressed little desire for the NHL to participate in the upcoming Winter Olympics in South Korea.

“I don’t think it’s going to happen,” said Jacobs. “When you stop and think about should we take those weeks out of our season, turn it off, continue to depend on these players to perform for us when they get back, if they get back, and come back in good condition. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Do what they did in basketball and play it in the summer. We could go to the Summer Olympics just as easily. They won’t embrace it, so it is what it is.

“Also, Korea doesn’t really help the situation at all. The time zones are so totally different. If you want to watch here at 2 or 3 in the morning, OK. But I think the four people that watch it don’t justify it.”

He said that the idea of participating in the Games without shutting down the league — filling the Olympians’ spots with minor leaguers — has not been discussed.

At least one of Jacobs’ fellow owners, Washington’s Ted Leonsis, has said that he’d support some of his stars, such as Alex Ovechkin, if they wanted to go rogue and participate in the Olympics for their country if the NHL chooses not to go en masse.

Jacobs said that that’s a promise Leonsis can’t back up.

“I think that’s a league decision. I don’t know that he’s got the ability to do that. It’s up to the league and the players association. He may talk about that, but I don’t see any resolutions,” said Jacobs. “There’ll be a lot of talk about (the Olympics), but the fact of the matter is that there won’t be many people watching that game, live at least.”

This guy can't die fast enough.

I'm not a Jeremy Jacobs fan either but I can see his reasoning behind it. The major timezone switch will have a huge affect on the players, especially for the teams that make it to the Gold Medal Game. It does make more sense to have it in the summer Olympics (scheduling wise), but you don't think of "cold" and "ice" in the summer. Plus, it also means that some host nations will need to build new arena's to accommodate this.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Boris Badenov said:

Anyone know the specifics of the NHL restricting players from participating in the Olympics? Is it directed at the starters only? Or does it included it include everyone under contract (even in the juniors)?

I don't think it's so much a restriction as it is the NHL not taking a break during the Olympics and players being contractually obligated to their teams. We've already heard that some players, like Ovechkin, are planning to attend anyway. I think it's more up to the teams themselves to allow their players to go.

So if the team of said player says okay, then said player is allowed to attend the Olympics. I see it as similar to when NHL teams allow junior-aged players on their rosters to attend the WJC, as long as they have team permission any player can attend. I can't see junior and AHL level players having any issue.

On 7/13/2017 at 10:51 AM, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Since this would be the last crack for them and we're a bottom 5 team in the league, should we let the Sedins go play? Give them one last chance to win something in their careers. 

Think there will be fines to pay for both the players and organization who let them go. And also they have to pay for their own insurance, accommodations and airfare in Korea. I doubt they want to go through all that.

On 5/3/2017 at 6:35 PM, 250Integra said:

I'm not a Jeremy Jacobs fan either but I can see his reasoning behind it. The major timezone switch will have a huge affect on the players, especially for the teams that make it to the Gold Medal Game. 

If Time Zone is such an issue then explain Sochi and the league's desire to play in Beijing in 2022? 

32 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

If Time Zone is such an issue then explain Sochi and the league's desire to play in Beijing in 2022? 

Russia cause they need to appease Russian players and China cause they want to go into the large Chinese market.

That said, NHL want to show the IOC that they are sick of being taken for granted and since NHL have no stake or desire to expand the game in South Korea and with the time zone problem, it is the perfect games to give the middle finger to the IOC.

5 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Russia cause they need to appease Russian players and China cause they want to go into the large Chinese market.

That said, NHL want to show the IOC that they are sick of being taken for granted and since NHL have no stake or desire to expand the game in South Korea and with the time zone problem, it is the perfect games to give the middle finger to the IOC.

Well then I hope Ice Hockey stays as a obscure and niche sport forever then. 

If they think people in Asia are 2nd class fans, even when I go out of my way to change my schedule to go Vancouver just to watch the Canucks play or go out of my way from Indiana to St. Louis to see The Canucks, then the NHL doesn't deserve to have a bigger fanbase.

So this means I hope their expansion to Vegas fails. I hope their World Cup of Hockey fails. And I hope the pre-season Canucks vs Kings games in China fails and embarrasses the NHL.

It's hard enough being a ice hockey / NHL fan in South East Asia but now we know what the NHL think about us. 

Archived