The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Example Twins-Trade(Proposal/Discussion)

IF they wanted out of this rebuild-outhouse, to a decent shot in their last contracted yr. First, let's assume that important detail(for the sake of idle yakkin').

Then assume Mtl does fairly well this PO, but can't emerge from their division.(lose 2nd rd). Soon gotta' re-up Price, Gal, & others...I'd guess they'd be a good destination. Twins guarantee Bergevin they're open to playing on seperate lines(at least half their mins). Habs have lots of speed to surround them with.

What we MUST accept:

-next yr is gonna hurt, either way

-we can't ask much for them(contract, +/-, age, etc...)

-As incentive, we need to take back boat anchors(also enhances return)

So: twins & Brisebois (retain 3 mill on 1 contract) ..11,000,000 outgoing

Mtl: Plekanec, Emelin(10 mill AAV, both off books next summer), Juulsen, & 2 conditional picks(a 2018 & 2019 pick, outlined below).

-If Mtl makes final 4 in 2018, we get a 2nd. Make Finals? We get a 2018 1st. Initially make this a 3rd rounder.

NEXT:

-If the twins re-sign there, we get a 2019 2nd

So Bergevin will be able to judge then whether he would give up a 2nd, for even 1 more yr of the twins at the age of 38/39

Been thinking about this for a bit. It's a pretty modest return. But like Burr & Hansen, would prob be more enjoyable to see two of our longtime-greats have a shot at glory.

We get to add another local kid, & we NEED as many picks as we can get, for Jimbo.

IF they ever told mgt they'd like to go somewhere that has a legitimate shot, I believe this is how such a deal would need to be assembled.

Your premise is sound, for sure. It will have to be a deal with salary retention of 1 Sedin + taking back a big salary too, probably a bad one. But for the right mix of picks and prospects it makes sense. 

If Montreal gets an early 1st round exit, it may not be Bergevin that Benning has to deal with. But if its Bergevin I can't see the arrogant you know what doing it even if it was good for Montreal. 

My bet is the Sedin's would want to be on the west coast for this to occur. So what are the options?

LA: its Dustin Brown back or nothing. What would we have to get to accept 5 years of Brown at 5.875 mil? Two 1st rounders? Ouch. Not worth it. 

ANA: Perry for 4 more at 8.825 mil. He'd bring some much needed grit. Probably a lot of injuries too. 

SJS: They actually don't have any bad contracts, so maybe Paul Martin back for 2 more at 4.85 mil

So to me reuniting the Sedins with Hansen in San Jose makes the most sense for both us and them, they get a legit scoring line and maybe only need to re-sign Marleau for 1 more year and keep the window open for another run. We get some picks and some veteran D back. 

3 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Your premise is sound, for sure. It will have to be a deal with salary retention of 1 Sedin + taking back a big salary too, probably a bad one. But for the right mix of picks and prospects it makes sense. 

If Montreal gets an early 1st round exit, it may not be Bergevin that Benning has to deal with. But if its Bergevin I can't see the arrogant you know what doing it even if it was good for Montreal. 

My bet is the Sedin's would want to be on the west coast for this to occur. So what are the options?

LA: its Dustin Brown back or nothing. What would we have to get to accept 5 years of Brown at 5.875 mil? Two 1st rounders? Ouch. Not worth it. 

ANA: Perry for 4 more at 8.825 mil. He'd bring some much needed grit. Probably a lot of injuries too. 

SJS: They actually don't have any bad contracts, so maybe Paul Martin back for 2 more at 4.85 mil

So to me reuniting the Sedins with Hansen in San Jose makes the most sense for both us and them, they get a legit scoring line and maybe only need to re-sign Marleau for 1 more year and keep the window open for another run. We get some picks and some veteran D back. 

Like the last 2, S'all. But Perry has a NMC. Can't see him agreeing to a cellar-dwellar, relocation.

Sharks seem a pretty logical fit.

12 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Like the last 2, S'all. But Perry has a NMC. Can't see him agreeing to a cellar-dwellar, relocation.

Sharks seem a pretty logical fit.

Sharks noticed that their biggest weakness in the playoffs was their footspeed.  That's why they signed Boedker (who hasn't really worked out as expected) and now traded for Hansen.  The Sedins are too slow for how they want to play.  

Given their salary to production - we're retaining league max cap to get anything worth while to ANY TEAM. 

You know I love ya, NFA, but moving the twins just isn't viable for either side of the table. They're playing out their contracts in Van, probably get extended @ 3.5M each.. or face being torn apart, or just retiring.

11 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Given their salary to production - we're retaining league max cap to get anything worth while to ANY TEAM. 

You know I love ya, NFA, but moving the twins just isn't viable for either side of the table. They're playing out their contracts in Van, probably get extended @ 3.5M each.. or face being torn apart, or just retiring.

Imagine how strongly any poster would have been mocked, if they'd suggested(say, back in Feb) a return like Dahlen, prior to the Burrows-deal. Valuation is pretty much a fool's game. A couple of things occur, & a player's value may ramp up, or plummet.

For example, if Jannik & Burr both have strong PO's, GM's may calculate our fwds being offensively suppressed, by a poor team, and/or wonky coach.

^Further to the above deal, lots of Hab-backers want to kaibosh Emelin & Plekanec(2 of their main whipping-boys). If the twins don't go out guns blazing, all 4 contracts are done next summer, anyhow.

With 2 conditional picks included, I don't see risk even being a factor with this deal.

16 hours ago, JAVALE MCGEE said:

I say keep the Sedins, and when their contracts end don't resign them. We need them for mentoring, and we probably won't get a decent return cause of their contract and age.

I agree with this scenario best. Everyone is afraid of losing people to free agency for "nothing in return". Every other sport lets people go via free agency and its not for nothing. In the case of the Sedins its 14 million in free salary cap. With that type of room one can then go out in the free agency market and fulfill the needs of what the team needs. Hockey needs this paradigm shift in order to succesfully manage your cap every year in my mind.

Waste of time talking about this.  Sedins are not going to be traded.  They will play out their contracts, OR, maybe, there is a chance that they will retire this off season.

We can thank the idiot Gillis for giving them the 4 year deal to begin with, which was about 2 years too long.  We have to live with it now until they retire.  

Then we move on.  

I don't think the Twins have a whole lot of value even if we retain 50% on one which is the best we can do. There isn't really a playoff team with the capspace unless we take a hulking pile of trash cap dump back. Furthermore I don't think that a lineup of:

Bae Bo Boeser

Megna Sutter Loui

Goldoben Granlund Boucher

Virtanen Plug Dorse

Is good enough even if you add a hulking pile of trash to it. That lineup gets slaughtered night after night which won't help develop those players. I think the best thing would be instead of trading them to let their contracts expire and use the cap space to throw at a big ufa *cough*Taveres*cough*. Or throw a younger asset and our 1st out there for an established top line talent around Bo's age *Nate MaK*???? Back to my point we can't trade the Sedins if the lineup we are left with looks like that^^ 

18 hours ago, JAVALE MCGEE said:

I say keep the Sedins, and when their contracts end don't resign them. We need them for mentoring, and we probably won't get a decent return cause of their contract and age.

"I agree. At this point what is the point let them play out the year mentor our young guys, while still getting 60 points in a reduced role. After next year let them retire as Canucks. If they wanna keep playing let them walk. No point in taking back some crap contracts for a meh return. Jb has shown tremendous loyalty to his players. Getting Burr back close to family, Getting Hanson to a nice warm climate on a contending team, all while getting the 2 biggest returns compared to what other teams got imho. Also burning a year of Boesers elc so he could provide for his family. Little things like that revenates around the league. 

And before people say, "oh well he had to sign him otherwise we could have lost him. He wasn't a Senior next year.

The Sedins account for approx 30-40 goals, their combined goals may vary but I would bet that sans 'Sedinery" this team as a whole would score 30-40 goals fewer. So at the very least in order to think about moving the Sedins JB would have to "somehow' Aquire a young 30 goal scorer.

I could see the Sedins playing out their contracts and acquiring E Kane LOL as a mentor for Virtanen on how to be a grade "A POS" and also score goals. A line up of

Bae Bo Kane 

Loui Sutter Boeser 

Dahlen Granlund Goldobin

^Virtanen Gaunce Cram/Dorsett??Gritty Vet  

Might actually do damage with some decent goaltending. Maybe take a D Liljegren with our 1st this year and go for a C next year to add to that group in 2019 as the 2018 draft has some good C's at the top.

My overwhelming feeling is that we will draft around 6th this year if Liljegren is still there and unless Mittel, Vilardi, have dropped to us I could see maybe reaching for Necas/Pettersson but I'd rather Liljegren and cook him for a bit. Having a strong future pipe of D will be essential when our goal scorers start scoring and demanding contracts to match. 

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:06 AM, Ojibwa72 said:

I agree with this scenario best. Everyone is afraid of losing people to free agency for "nothing in return". Every other sport lets people go via free agency and its not for nothing. In the case of the Sedins its 14 million in free salary cap. With that type of room one can then go out in the free agency market and fulfill the needs of what the team needs. Hockey needs this paradigm shift in order to succesfully manage your cap every year in my mind.

So 10 mill for Tavares, FA 2018, their is your legit 1st line center

Granlund Tavares Ericsson

Baer Horvat Boeser

Megna Sutter Virtanen

Cram Gaunce Dorsett

That may make the palyoffs, but who knows

Archived