The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kyle Okposo hospitalized and in intensive care unit

After Dan Bylsma admitted to being “very concerned” about Kyle Okposo’s health, word came that the Buffalo Sabres forward is hospitalized and in intensive care.

Okposo is in the Neuro Surgical ICU at Buffalo General Hospital, Paul Hamilton of WGR-AM 550 reported Wednesday. The Buffalo News has confirmed the story.

Okposo has been sick since March 28. The 28-year-old has visited doctors, but Bylsma had no diagnosis to announce Wednesday.

“It’s a difficult thing for him to be dealing with now in this situation,” Bylsma said in KeyBank Center. “Very, as a coach and a person, concerned for him and his situation.

“He’s seeing our doctors and done some tests.”

According to the website for the UCLA Neurosurgery Department, the neuro ICU cares for patients with all types of neurosurgical and neurological injuries, including stroke, brain hemorrhage, trauma and tumors.

“He’s sick and ill,” Bylsma said before the report when asked for further information on Okposo’s condition. "Very concerned."

Doesn't sound very good :( hope he's going to be alright 

IMG_2593.PNG

Just now, The Weasel said:

what the &^@#

I had no idea about any of this. Hoping he pulls through no matter what is going on. So scary not knowing what is happening. 

I couldn't believe it when I read it either. It's just crazy and out of the blue but very scary

Stop it!!! Seriously wtf is going with these young athletes who are supposed to be at the peak of their health in their twenties.

Great exercise, good food provided. Best doctors...

Are they taking PEDs or taking some pain medication that is messing them up?

What is going on is remarkable..

5 minutes ago, JohnLocke said:

bacterial meningitis?

That was the first thing I thought of too, but it could be a number of things.

Wishing him a full recovery from whatever diagnosis he receives.

31 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Stop it!!! Seriously wtf is going with these young athletes who are supposed to be at the peak of their health in their twenties.

If it is bacterial meningitis like some are speculating (which seems plausible, even though I don't like to guess on health issues) then it would have nothing to do with PEDs or pain medication. Neither do the mumps, or Letang's herniated disc. I'm sure there is some issue with those things in the NHL, but they're most likely unrelated to these kinds of injuries.

I think we often forget how much stress these guys bodies are under during the season. Between training, practice, playing a grueling schedule, sleeping poorly on flights, and bouncing between timezones there is so much strain on hockey players. They're in their athletic prime, but that can only carry you so far. That amount of stress is going to impact your body and immune system something furiously.

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

If it is bacterial meningitis like some are speculating (which seems plausible, even though I don't like to guess on health issues) then it would have nothing to do with PEDs or pain medication. Neither do the mumps, or Letang's herniated disc. I'm sure there is some issue with those things in the NHL, but they're most likely unrelated to these kinds of injuries.

I think we often forget how much stress these guys bodies are under during the season. Between training, practice, playing a grueling schedule, sleeping poorly on flights, and bouncing between timezones there is so much strain on hockey players. They're in their athletic prime, but that can only carry you so far. That amount of stress is going to impact your body and immune system something furiously.

Isn't it true these super fit guys are actually more likely to get ill, than people who are more average?  I know that makes little sense, but I thought I read this in another thread a few months ago.

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

Poor recovery sleeping and inconsistent meal times. Good points.

Looks like Grandma was right about 3 square meals and sticking to a consistent eating and sleeping schedule.

9 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

My first thought as well.  That would land him in isolation in the ICU.  A double whammy.  At least he'll have round-the-clock one-on-one care in that instance.

Has he had a concussion lately, SF?

Just now, Chip Kelly said:

Poor recovery sleeping and inconsistent meal times. Good points.

Looks like Grandma was right about 3 square meals and sticking to a consistent eating and sleeping schedule.

Yup to Grandma.  Our body dies its best healing during rest/sleep, right?

36 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

People are fragile.  Drop a car on your leg and you'll most likely survive.  Take a moderately forceful hit to a different part of your body and it could be lights out.

If it is meningitis, a person in peak health can be felled by an infected sneeze.

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup to Grandma.  Our body dies its best healing during rest/sleep, right?

Perfect example Goldy loses 15 pounds after getting sick and apparently I read was force feeding protein shakes to get his weight up asap rather than naturally gradually bulk over the summer.

Archived