The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Would you trade up to get Rasmussen?

4 hours ago, iceman64 said:

If He does go up as high in the draft as projected (at #4) and we were in 5 position, would you tradeup if your Benning?  (i would but that's me)

Scouted as follows and at 6'5 we need this in the west! and more please

Large competitive centreman with skill and good feet. A gritty,naturally strong player with mobility who wins most board scrums, he is a dominant player in the front and below the goal line. A mobile skater who is difficult to contain or move. He wins puck battles and scores. Intriguing prospect with upside offensively, difficult to contain, and effective vision and passing skills. Owns the front of the power play. Owns the area behind the goal line. He might look for the pass over shooting, Protects the biscuit well. Has an upright skating stride but gets there and shows jam when he greets you.He Is an effective two way centre, and rarely loses puck battles along the boards. The combination of power and skill is at the high end of this draft class, even though you might hope he would show a bit more effort all sixty minutes. A raw talent who may end up being the best player out of the West.

Thoughts?

Where do you see him ranked #4? he's ranked 8-15 from all the rankings I have seen and his point totals suggest the same  - he is this years's logan brown

Lucky if he turns into Brian Boyle, he's not an "elite offensive talent' nor going top 5 guaranteed - lol - I am wondering if you're related to him LOL!

I like Rasmussen, and have no qualms about the Canucks selecting him once Hischier and Patrick are off the board.

However, the last thing we should be doing in this draft is trading up. Picks #3-10 are pretty much interchangeable, and they're almost all centers. Any one of them would be a great add for our prospect pool. And even the top-2 are probably not worth what it would cost to move up, as neither are exactly locks.

If anything, I'd be more inclined to trade down, provided we'd still be in a spot to grab one of Rasmussen, Glass, Vilardi, etc.

I wouldn't trade up for him. I haven't seen him listed in the top five and barring terrible lottery luck we should be top five pic. He does have size and seems to want to be in the dirty areas which is a bonus but he doesn't have enough that I'd give up a lot to get him. You know any team below us in the draft is going to charge a fortune to move up. One of good young guys, our first plus something else for sure. So, no he isn't worth that. This draft, and who and what teams will take, is all over the place and we won't really know until the day of draft. Does Colarado take a D early or take BPA? How about that joke in vegas? So we can speculate all we want but it'll be too hard to really say this year. No set top five or top ten.

26 minutes ago, Rocky Balboa said:

Too tall for our Forwards. 

Management here seems to like the Lollipop Guild fowards.  

Ya let's ignore he's not a top tier talent, and won't likely go before #8 lol

but please carry on with this -whatever it is you are doing

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I like Rasmussen, and have no qualms about the Canucks selecting him once Hischier and Patrick are off the board.

However, the last thing we should be doing in this draft is trading up. Picks #3-10 are pretty much interchangeable, and they're almost all centers. Any one of them would be a great add for our prospect pool. And even the top-2 are probably not worth what it would cost to move up, as neither are exactly locks.

If anything, I'd be more inclined to trade down, provided we'd still be in a spot to grab one of Rasmussen, Glass, Vilardi, etc.

C order will be the following

1. Patrick

2. Hirschier

3. Villardi

4. Mittlstadt

5. Glass

6. Rasmussen

That's just the Centers - so the number 4-6 center is likely going to be a number 8-12 or even 8-15 pick

33 minutes ago, Boeser6 said:

Where do you see him ranked #4? he's ranked 8-15 from all the rankings I have seen and his point totals suggest the same  - he is this years's logan brown

Lucky if he turns into Brian Boyle, he's not an "elite offensive talent' nor going top 5 guaranteed - lol - I am wondering if you're related to him LOL!

I think McKeen has Rasmussen at #3.

There's nothing wrong with a big guy who can park himself in front of the net and bang home rebounds. It's actually something we've been lacking, and is a nice add to a team that generates more of its offence from the D-core (which we seem to be moving towards).

But really, any of the top-10 are going to be good players.

1 minute ago, Boeser6 said:

C order will be the following

1. Patrick

2. Hirschier

3. Villardi

4. Mittlstadt

5. Glass

6. Rasmussen

That's just the Centers - so the number 4-6 center is likely going to be a number 8-12 or even 8-15 pick

Since Liljegren has fallen off, there really isn't anything but centers at the top of the draft. So I wouldn't be surprised if those are actually the first 6 picks.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

There's nothing wrong with a big guy who can park himself in front of the net and bang home rebounds. It's actually something we've been lacking, and is a nice add to a team that generates more of its offence from the D-core (which we seem to be moving towards).

But really, any of the top-10 are going to be good players.

He's not a top 3 pick not even close

Villardi is light years ahead of him

Just now, D-Money said:

Since Liljegren has fallen off, there really isn't anything but centers at the top of the draft. So I wouldn't be surprised if those are actually the first 6 picks.

Mittlstadt may even go before Villardi wait and see

1. Patrick

2. Hirchier

3. Villardi

4. Mittlstadt

5. Glass

6. Suzuki

7. Necas

8. Liljegren

9. Rasmussen

We'll have to see how Logan Brown pans out once he gets into the NHL, size still matters and look at Tryamkin and Chara, players think twice about how they play against those guys or near them- and Tryamkin can really skate for his size.  When Mats Sundin played, he was a hard player to knock down or knock the puck from, there aren't many of those in the NHL now.

1 hour ago, Boeser6 said:

This. Most lists that I have seen have him ranked around 10th. And most of the analysis and expert opinion is that even that is a stretch. He will likely be drafted that high because SOME team will overvalue his size, as they always do. But his actual skill level falls below that. 

Honestly, the success rate of these 6'5 centres is actually quite low. Someone tries drafting them every year, and yet we don't see these elite giant centres around the league anywhere.Among other things, there is always the problem of not being able to trust their junior stats playing against people they can ragdoll.  Best case scenario you are probably getting a Boyle.

For what it's worth, he also throws up a few analytics red flags. The reliance on power play scoring should make you nervous. 

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

The problem with these guys with size is you never know if their success in junior is because they use their size against guys as young as 15 or if they actually have the real skill. For many of the physical junior guys with size the skill just doesn't translate to the NHL when playing against mature men who are NHL veterans. Just look at 6'4" Taylor Pyatt. Bernier, although 6', was another physical junior guy to put up numbers until facing men in the NHL. How about 6'3" Kassian? Junior success doesn't always translate to NHL for the big physical guys. I think they're actually a bigger roll of the dice for NHL success than the more average sized junior players.

^^ this. 

I don't think it would be worth the price of the jump, no team is going to do it cheaply. Also I don't think he's going to go that high... most lists I've seen have him 9 or 10. 

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

That is true but McKeen hasn't been updated since Feb

As of March

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2017/

4th

http://www.dobberprospects.com/dobberprospects-2017-nhl-mock-draft/

8th

http://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-lots-of-talent-after-patrick-hischier-1.702428

16th

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-hockey-top-31-april-2017/

8th

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

9th

I see him as this years logan brown, that uses his size more.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

There's nothing wrong with a big guy who can park himself in front of the net and bang home rebounds. It's actually something we've been lacking, and is a nice add to a team that generates more of its offence from the D-core (which we seem to be moving towards). But really, any of the top-10 are going to be good players.

Nothing wrong with that but i'd prefer not with a top 5 pick.  You can find big hard working players in later rounds.  Like it looks like the wild did with Greenway, heck if we want to go that route we can go after Ratcliffe with our second round pick.

JB did state he's looking for a play making center, which isn't Rasmussen games. 

Maybe could pick him with our 2nd round pick?  If people doubt his hockey sense enough he might fall enough that we could pick him up there.  He won't be the first questionable 1st round prospect to get picked up in a later round.  Even someone like Tomas Jurco in Chicago was an early 2nd round pick even though many tabbed him as a late 1st.

That or if the Sharks win the Cup we could pick him with the late 1st.   Either way, highly doubt he should be picked with our first 1st if it's in the top 3.  That should be Hischier/ Vilardi/ Mittlestadt territory. 

Archived