The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Would you trade up to get Rasmussen?

15th on Hockeyprospect, 20th on Future Considerations. Are you asking if we'd trade down? Because there's no way he's going top 5.

The guys we should be interested in picking (assuming we're outside of the top 2), are:

Casey Mittelstadt

Owen Tippett

Elias Pettersson

With an outside shot of late-riser Nick Suzuki:

I'm not considering D, and I'm putting emphasis on C over W. Even then, I wouldn't rank Rasmussen in the top 10. He gets garbage goals by crashing the net. His size is his best and only asset.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

No...and he's not 4-8 at all IMO.  if I am trading up it's for Foote, Glass, who are slated 8-14

We don't need another questionable guy with size, we've plenty of those in our past

If he were to drop down to 31 and we got the Sharks #1, OK sure why not. Surrey would explode with glee. 

thought about trading down?  2 or 3 picks in the 2 or 3 round?  if this draft is as weak as you folks seem to agree on, there must be a lot of pretty decent guys developing.  benning has a knack of picking these guys in later rounds.  be nice if I knew His plans...and not all of Your speculation!   we're all guessing   LOL

I dont like the comparison to Logan Brown honestly they're very different players. Brown is more of a Thornton type where he has elite vision and playmaking ability. Rasmussen reminds me more of a Hanzel or Boyle, a good top 9 guy buy not what we should be looking at with out top pick. He gets most of his points on the powerplay which is a red flag and he just pushes guys around that are smaller than him. Hard to translate that to the NHL

11 hours ago, Baggins said:

The problem with these guys with size is you never know if their success in junior is because they use their size against guys as young as 15 or if they actually have the real skill. For many of the physical junior guys with size the skill just doesn't translate to the NHL when playing against mature men who are NHL veterans. Just look at 6'4" Taylor Pyatt. Bernier, although 6', was another physical junior guy to put up numbers until facing men in the NHL. How about 6'3" Kassian? Junior success doesn't always translate to NHL for the big physical guys. I think they're actually a bigger roll of the dice for NHL success than the more average sized junior players.

Jolly good.

Only way i take Rasmussen is at the end of the first round, but even then i like players like Norris, Anderson-Dolan, Oettinger, Olivier-Joseph to name a few. That is only by some miracle the Sharks win the cup. 

This is how i would pick if i was drafting. 

1. Patrick

2. Hischier

3. Necas

4. Middlestadt

5. Liljegren

6. Glass

7. Makar

I think 5 is too high for Rasmussen, let alone trade up to 4.

And this team is looking for a playmaking center - Rasmussen is not that.

I think we're more likely to wind up with one of Mittelstadt, Vilardi, Necas, Pettersson, Glass....

If they added Robert Thomas with their 2nd, great - that may not be realistic - that's probably where I'd consider trading up to add him.

Archived