The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ending the rumours and speculation. [Sedins]

On 4/6/2017 at 11:40 AM, Bitter Melon said:

Greatest Canucks of all time. 1A and 1B. 

I hope they stick around a couple more years at a low cap hit. There's nobody in the league I'd rather have mentoring our rookies 

Bure was miles ahead of them!!!!

they are great players but not the best,Bure was better Linden was a better leader

25 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Bure was miles ahead of them!!!!

they are great players but not the best,Bure was better Linden was a better leader

Bure was more skilled. Linden was a better leader, that's great. 

And Odjick was a better fighter, Luongo a better goalie, Kesler better at defense, Tryamkin better at being big, Wellwood at eating cheeseburgers. 

That doesn't mean anything. The Sedins have demonstrated so much skill, class, commitment, and drive that overall, they're the greatest Canucks of all time.

37 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

And Odjick was a better fighter, Luongo a better goalie, Kesler better at defense, Tryamkin better at being big, Wellwood at eating cheeseburgers. 

That doesn't mean anything. The Sedins have demonstrated so much skill, class, commitment, and drive that overall, they're the greatest Canucks of all time.

^ nailed it!

9 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

in your mind or have you watched the Canucks for long or just recently????

Bure was all class and a way better player by far, Linden led with class and got traded when we did not want to as he helped the team, the twins said they wouldn't even thought they know it would help the team and have said so, to me Linden is ahead of them because of that!!!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, cripplereh said:

in your mind or have you watched the Canucks for long or just recently????

Bure was all class and a way better player by far, Linden led with class and got traded when we did not want to as he helped the team, the twins said they wouldn't even thought they know it would help the team and have said so, to me Linden is ahead of them because of that!!!!!!!!!

Neat.

In my opinion, it shouldn't matter if Linden or Bure or the Sedins are better. They are all good in their own way. They are all good in different ways.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Sedins are the best of all time here, but they could be considered in the company of the best while being 2 of the best. ;)

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎08 at 5:29 PM, Bitter Melon said:

If the Sedins didn't allow opposing players to use their heads as punching bags, if they would have more push back/clutch and desire to win (in 2011 finals by scoring some goals) and winning us a cup, if they could score on shootouts or if they could play on the PK on a regular basis, I might agree with you.

They are one dimensional players and their shortcomings are now painfully obvious. Not to mention all this team has gone through the past decade does not spew "Linden like" leadership.

I will have to agree with Melon with his assessment of Bure. There was absolutely "Zero" deficiencies in his game as a hockey player and he had the "desire" and "leadership" miles above the twins by far.

The Sedins are no longer #1 line point producers and their defensive deficiencies makes them less desirable as 3rd or 4th liners so where does that put them? They have some leadership skills to pass on but does that warrant giving them 3-4 million per season each?

The only feasible alternative is to split them up but they have not showed us any indication that they are willing to do this. There is not much else to do but let them go after next season. Thank you for your years of service but it is time to pass the torch(Captaincy) and move on.

Two HOF locks that have been given very little support for a couple of years now so other teams can plan all their hard core neutralization against them as Canucks had nothing else.   If they can grab a solid 2nd or 3rd line role with a semblance of a winger with finish AND some Dmen who can actually clear the zone, they could be 0.6 to 0.8 ppg players and massively important to the rebuild in terms of showing the young guns how to play and, more importantly, how to be OFF the ice.   

These guys are no longer able to be first line studs but very few can be after 35.   They can, however, be very effective NHL players and with only one more year of high cap hit, coming at a time when it really doesn't matter as no need to spend to cap now during rebuild anyway, so pleased they want to be with this team and fans should be happy as well.

18 hours ago, EdgarM said:

The Sedins are no longer #1 line point producers and their defensive deficiencies makes them less desirable as 3rd or 4th liners so where does that put them? They have some leadership skills to pass on but does that warrant giving them 3-4 million per season each?

The only feasible alternative is to split them up but they have not showed us any indication that they are willing to do this. There is not much else to do but let them go after next season. Thank you for your years of service but it is time to pass the torch(Captaincy) and move on.

Watch their "defensive liabilities" vanish once they are not up against other top lines and once Canucks have some Dmen who can move the puck out of the zone.   These are elite players who have had AHL supporting cast for the most part since 2013.  The emergence of Horvat as helped a bit but still just a two line team - at best.

If the twins reach 45 points I will be shocked,but to me the story has to be how the twins will not help this team be better via trade

you can say what you want but saying NO to a trade no matter who you are is selfish specially this up coming TDL as they more then likely will retire after the season is over and a trade would help them get their names on the cup which every player wants at least every Canadian player

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎12 at 2:50 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Watch their "defensive liabilities" vanish once they are not up against other top lines and once Canucks have some Dmen who can move the puck out of the zone.   These are elite players who have had AHL supporting cast for the most part since 2013.  The emergence of Horvat as helped a bit but still just a two line team - at best.

Frankly I am tired of the excuses and I think they have had more then their share of opportunity to bring us a cup. They had all the right tools in 2011 but still no cigar.

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎12 at 9:27 PM, cripplereh said:

If the twins reach 45 points I will be shocked,but to me the story has to be how the twins will not help this team be better via trade

you can say what you want but saying NO to a trade no matter who you are is selfish specially this up coming TDL as they more then likely will retire after the season is over and a trade would help them get their names on the cup which every player wants at least every Canadian player

I really don't think they are that type of player to be honest. I don't see that "Iginla" type desire for a cup in them. That's one of the main reasons I think its time to move on, I want a cup D%%#M it!!!! :lol:

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Frankly I am tired of the excuses and I think they have had more then their share of opportunity to bring us a cup. They had all the right tools in 2011 but still no cigar.

I really don't think they are that type of player to be honest. I don't see that "Iginla" type desire for a cup in them. That's one of the main reasons I think its time to move on, I want a cup D%%#M it!!!! :lol:

How many Cups has Iginla won? 

I think where the Sedins fit will depend heavily on their game without the puck not just putting up points as they seemed to suggest needs to be the only place they contribute.

If they can produce enough against top lines to offset their defensive game that certainly helps. Because it forces opposing coaches to continue using better players against them and affords Bo's line a bit more reprieve from seeing the top players all game long. Even if other teams do focus on Bo and his line, it would possibly free up the Sedins to contribute more against weaker lines and D pairings. But they have to be more well rounded players to help the team.

To me the bottom line is that they have to be much much better in not only offensive production but also stemming the defensive bleeding better in order to stay together. If they can't do that they need to be separated to better limit their weaknesses and give them more opportunity to take advantage of their offensive talents and also better finishers than either of them are at this point.

I think a real key though is can the team move on to a new culture and leadership voice with them here beyond next season? I think that will be tough considering their larger than life status in that regard. I think as long as they are here it will be their team and that is one thing that has to change imo.

6 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Clearly you have not a clue about the game of hockey.  It is a team game.   There are 30 teams out there - they all want to win.   No one or two players can win a cup if the rest of the team is not up to the task.  If you want a cup so badly, go bandwagoning as a true fan cheers for their team when they win but cheer harder when they lose to give them needed support.   Kicking the two best players to every were Canucks uniforms when they are down and surrounded by AHL talent is very non-fan like of you and clearly also non understanding of how the game works.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Clearly you have not a clue about the game of hockey.  It is a team game.   There are 30 teams out there - they all want to win.   No one or two players can win a cup if the rest of the team is not up to the task.  If you want a cup so badly, go bandwagoning as a true fan cheers for their team when they win but cheer harder when they lose to give them needed support.   Kicking the two best players to every were Canucks uniforms when they are down and surrounded by AHL talent is very non-fan like of you and clearly also non understanding of how the game works.

Please don't try to patronize me buddy I have watched enough games over the past 20+ years thank you very much. You are right in that I care much more about the team then one or two individual players. There has been excuses laid down for these two since they were being called the " Sedin Sisters" and I am so tired of them. Now you say its because they are "surrounded by AHL talent".

Yes I thank them for their services but they need to go away gracefully now. If they are truly team players then they would not want to impede the teams progress.

I will cheer for this team regardless if they win or lose IF I see a well fought effort by the entire team and especially its leaders. If that happens I will cheer for a loss contrary to what you might think.

How the game works? :lol:

Archived