The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How to approach Edler about waiving his NTC

Hortankin

I bumped into Edler in Point Roberts last year at that little gas station by the railroad tracks right by the Canadian boarder,

We tried to walk out the front door at the same time, I was cutting a steady pace out the door , all of a sudden he lurched forward with out looking and we bumped shoulders (It was almost 3 stooges like) we both said excuse me and I insisted he walk through the door first after an awkward moment when we weren't sure who was going, he said thanks, looked at me a bit strangley and left, I kept saying to my Girlfriend "I know that guy who the hell......OH!" He looked at me strangely as he was trying to figure out if I knew who he was.

Yean yeah, I know it's a borring story, but my take away from it was 1. he's a polite dude

2, he's a tall gangly awkward sort of guy who  seems a bit careless, 

I don't know how you entice a guy like that to pick up and more, it's too big of a hasstle

9 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

I bumped into Edler in Point Roberts last year at that little gas station by the railroad tracks right by the Canadian boarder,

We tried to walk out the front door at the same time, I was cutting a steady pace out the door , all of a sudden he lurched forward with out looking and we bumped shoulders (It was almost 3 stooges like) we both said excuse me and I insisted he walk through the door first after an awkward moment when we weren't sure who was going, he said thanks, looked at me a bit strangley and left, I kept saying to my Girlfriend "I know that guy who the hell......OH!" He looked at me strangely as he was trying to figure out if I knew who he was.

Yean yeah, I know it's a borring story, but my take away from it was 1. he's a polite dude

2, he's a tall gangly awkward sort of guy who  seems a bit careless, 

I don't know how you entice a guy like that to pick up and more, it's too big of a hasstle

You make Edler out to be a big goof, wanders around looking at his feet and bumping into things.  Was he carrying a stick, and did he break it, when he collided with you?  :lol:

I don't know how we convince him, but this is the deal we need to make"

Edler for Pouliot

Makes perfect sense, derrick is on th outs in PITTS Edler has worn out his welcome here

PITTS needs experienced  defensive help to win cups now, Edler with the Elite players on that team could easily get back to 40pt, we have time to be patient with Pouliot take him in give him ice and let him make a few mistakes, he's got warts but he has talent too, and fits in with our age group and needs just like Edler is a perfect fit for the Pens

Just now, Alflives said:

You make Edler out to be a big goof, wanders around looking at his feet and bumping into things.  Was he carrying a stick, and did he break it, when he collided with you?  :lol:

He kind of did seem like his arms and legs were too big for him. I wouldn't call him a goof, and he was polite so I'm not trying to say anything bad, it's just funny the one time I see him he's awkward....ah, whatever, I was just trying tell a "Mildly" amusing story

On 2017-04-08 at 1:26 PM, Rush17 said:

those are far points.  if he won more draws which he likely would with healthy risks.   he just doesn't ooze talent and on a team with a lot of young talent I'd hate to see them waste away on their wing.

Maybe we could do:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson 

Baertschi Horvat Boeser

Granlund Sutter Goldobin

Shore Cramarossa Virtanen 

I like the idea of sedins with Eriksson if we have a new coach that can actually utilize them.  otherwise I'd like to see bo and baer with Eriksoon. ((where will a top 6 impact forward xfit)

they say granny and Goldie need top 6 minutes to be effective. I don't see bo baer or the sedins getting bumped...

we have a serious talent log jam up front. Maybe Boeser goes to the ahl but can u really send him down after this strong end to the season??

hmm I think we may see a granlund or Goldie packaged up with a d for a top 6 impact forward.

54.2% in the dot this year. Good enough for 24th in the league and that's with playing with a bum wrist. Far and away our best Centreman for that stat. Plus he's a very good PKer and his age doesn't put him out of range for our rebuild cycle. Overpaid perhaps, but not term wise though imo.

17 goals and 34 points for a guy playing with a revolving door of linemates isn't so bad at all. 

1 hour ago, terrible.dee said:

He kind of did seem like his arms and legs were too big for him. I wouldn't call him a goof, and he was polite so I'm not trying to say anything bad, it's just funny the one time I see him he's awkward....ah, whatever, I was just trying tell a "Mildly" amusing story

I know you are, and it is a cute story.  I should have said Edler is a bit "Goofy" like.  

1 hour ago, ThaShady1 said:

54.2% in the dot this year. Good enough for 24th in the league and that's with playing with a bum wrist. Far and away our best Centreman for that stat. Plus he's a very good PKer and his age doesn't put him out of range for our rebuild cycle. Overpaid perhaps, but not term wise though imo.

17 goals and 34 points for a guy playing with a revolving door of linemates isn't so bad at all. 

But his Fancy statszzz are teh suck!!!111010101 :rolleyes:

People want way too much from players and for a team that wont be a contender for 2-4 more years Sutter gives stability and allows players to be brought along slowly.

I read an article recently that was about how if you use the modern style of statistics to determine what kind of value Malhotra had to a team he would not even be considered good enough for a 4'th line player. I think we all know how much loosing him hurt the team in 2011.

1 hour ago, R35Godz1lla said:

But his Fancy statszzz are teh suck!!!111010101 :rolleyes:

People want way too much from players and for a team that wont be a contender for 2-4 more years Sutter gives stability and allows players to be brought along slowly.

I read an article recently that was about how if you use the modern style of statistics to determine what kind of value Malhotra had to a team he would not even be considered good enough for a 4'th line player. I think we all know how much loosing him hurt the team in 2011.

That % actually dropped if I'm not mistaken. I seem to remember looking in January or February and he was in the top 12ish range. Obviously as his wrist became more and more aggravated it began dropping. 

Yes to all of that in your second paragraph. Veteran leadership is not a "stat" so it seems a lot of people don't give it the recognition it deserves. It's a huge intangible for the younger generation to know that there's a "go-to guy" that can make important plays when you need them to. Sutter is just such a player for us in that respect. 

Anywho, in regards to Edler... I went to the Dallas game towards the end of the season and made it my mission to watch him very closely. His positioning, at least in that game, was flawless. As a 2 way defenceman he's above average in every zone, he just doesn't have a particularly great attribute at anything. To me, this makes him a very good 2nd pairing D on a very good team. For those saying to expose him and literally lose him for nothing is craziness. 

If management is dead set on moving him, I don't see why it would have to be this big dramatic episode. I don't see him as the type of player who would simply sulk about and say no. As others have said he's been quoted as not wanting to play for a team who doesn't want him there. I believe if asked and a deal was in place to move him to a team he'd be comfortable going to, he would allow it to move forward. 

• 1 year later...

All that hatred earlier in thread, and then Green/Baumer come along and put Alex Edler in a position to succeed and Edler becomes a #1 pairing dman again with one of his most strongest season's since the contending days.

Now his value is sky high imo, but in my ever so humble opinion I think now is the time to sell high, get a 1st, a top right side dman prospect and be done with it.

If asked he'll waive the NTC, only a year left on the contract, he should decide what he wants to do long term.

Our left side D is stacked, but the tweeners value isn't that good (hutton, pouliot, mdz could land a 2nd tho), just Edler's value is top tier.

And if we sign Hughes that's more depth, then there's Juolevi who will likely start in the AHL. Trading Edler while his value is high is smart asset management, plus then the tweeners like Ben Hutton could up their trade value with more workload, I mean he did score 25pts as a rookie.

On 2017-04-17 at 11:31 AM, terrible.dee said:

Edler for Pouliot

Makes perfect sense, derrick is on th outs in PITTS Edler has worn out his welcome here

PITTS needs experienced  defensive help to win cups now, Edler with the Elite players on that team could easily get back to 40pt, we have time to be patient with Pouliot take him in give him ice and let him make a few mistakes, he's got warts but he has talent too, and fits in with our age group and needs just like Edler is a perfect fit for the Pens

this aged well. 

On 4/17/2017 at 11:31 AM, terrible.dee said:

Edler for Pouliot

:lol::lol::lol:

Alex had a good season on a ridiculously terrible team last year.  His contract isn't bad either considering what he was asked to do, and what he could bring on another better team in a different and lesser role.  I am fine with losing him for nothing at the end of this season, if he wants to play things through to the end here.  I am OK with getting something for him at the TDL.   He is the best D-man the team has ever had from many standpoints, and he deserves whatever he wants; he got the full NMC for a reason.  This all being said, I would like to move on from the old core.  His slow, lurching style of play is outdated, will not improve ever, and, is contrary to the vision Benning has moving forward.  So long Alex, and thanks for all the Swedish Fish!

Yaaa no...he was injury free last year and was a beast he eats minutes and has been here since day 1 we need some solid vets on the backend i honestly hope he resigns later this year to a discounted rate for 2-3 years and finish his career here i know alot are not into this but hey hes a lifer canuck 

Archived