The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Nick Ritchie suspended 2 games

Roszival should've dropped the gloves instead of cowering. When you hit a star player expect to answer the bell. Ritchie didn't really give him much time but still, I don't understand why players cower after hitting a star player, just answer the bell and you'll gain at least a little respect among the players. 

So no history and he gets the same amount of games as Marchand.. I would call this more of a hockey play than Marchands cheap shot. 
Sucker punching someone isn't good, but his actions make more sense than Marchands. I just don't understand how they come up with this $&!#. 

23 minutes ago, Wonder__Bread said:

Roszival should've dropped the gloves instead of cowering. When you hit a star player expect to answer the bell. Ritchie didn't really give him much time but still, I don't understand why players cower after hitting a star player, just answer the bell and you'll gain at least a little respect among the players. 

I disagree in this case.  Perry was skating backwards into Roszival.  Perry was not crosschecked into the boards, and neither was it a hard cross-check.  It was just an average play, and IMO could potentially have gone uncalled by the refs.  We see crosschecks all the time get let go.

I can see standing up for your teammates, especially a top player.  Sucker punch, no way.  And, considering it was an average offense, and nothing particularly dirty or suspension-worthy, why would Roszival bother dropping the gloves?  Ritchie overreacted, IMO, and I am getting tired of the constant (at least for teams not based in Vancouver) rush to fight after every big hit gets thrown.  Even last night, after Hutton threw his nice hit, someone was trying to get him to fight (Connauton, IIRC).

Eh. Ritchie should've waited until Rozsival was ready to fight. That said, this doesn't really constitute much more than a roughing minor from Ritchie to me. A fine at most. 

4 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Eh. Ritchie should've waited until Rozsival was ready to fight. That said, this doesn't really constitute much more than a roughing minor from Ritchie to me. A fine at most. 

Yeah. Not that I in any way want to defend a sucker bunch, but I never quite understand when these are suspensions. They talk about it all the time how you have to defend your players after a hit. They glorify it, talk about how great it is to stand up and beat some justice into another player in defense of your team. Then they suspend you if the guy you grab to fight doesn't want to face that "justice". Its a mixed message. 

If Rozsival had been bloodied by the punch but started swinging back it would have been a normal hockey play. With the announcers talking about how Ritchie is a brave and loyal team mate. But since Rozsival went down, its a disgusting play and a suspension. Again, the league suspending based on outcome rather than on the action.

The players need some clarity here. 

2 minutes ago, Sygvard said:

Yeah. Not that I in any way want to defend a sucker bunch, but I never quite understand when these are suspensions. They talk about it all the time how you have to defend your players after a hit. They glorify it, talk about how great it is to stand up and beat some justice into another player in defense of your team. Then they suspend you if the guy you grab to fight doesn't want to face that "justice". Its a mixed message. 

If Rozsival had been bloodied by the punch but started swinging back it would have been a normal hockey play. With the announcers talking about how Ritchie is a brave and loyal team mate. But since Rozsival went down, its a disgusting play and a suspension. Again, the league suspending based on outcome rather than on the action.

The players need some clarity here. 

It's over the fighting days of the NHL are gone...I missed out on it. If only I was born in the 90's. Gary Bettman has destroyed the NHL for money. Anyone have a time machine?

36 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I disagree in this case.  Perry was skating backwards into Roszival.  Perry was not crosschecked into the boards, and neither was it a hard cross-check.  It was just an average play, and IMO could potentially have gone uncalled by the refs.  We see crosschecks all the time get let go.

I can see standing up for your teammates, especially a top player.  Sucker punch, no way.  And, considering it was an average offense, and nothing particularly dirty or suspension-worthy, why would Roszival bother dropping the gloves?  Ritchie overreacted, IMO, and I am getting tired of the constant (at least for teams not based in Vancouver) rush to fight after every big hit gets thrown.  Even last night, after Hutton threw his nice hit, someone was trying to get him to fight (Connauton, IIRC).

Although I do partially agree with you in regards to fights getting started over clean hits, I disagree with the notion that this was a sucker punch. Both players were facing each other and Roszival taunts him by opening his hands/arms as if to ask, "What are you gonna do about it?", and Ritchie clearly showed him (you can argue that Roszival wasn't taunting but just opening his arms in a way to ask Ritchie, "Really? What did I do?", but I don't buy it based on his facial expression). Whether that was Roszivals intentions or not is irrelevant. 

Roszival knew what he was doing and he knew who he was doing it to. He should expect to at the very least get into a scrum for doing something like that, it's just a part of hockey. Say we turn the table and Ritchie crosschecks Kane like Roszival did to Perry, you would 100% expect someone from Chicago to go after Ritchie and come out swinging.

I don't like Ritchie, but I didn't see anything wrong here, at the very least I don't think this should've been suspended (penalty for sure though). Roszival should've dropped the gloves to protect himself, instead he pushed Ritchie then cowered. Whether or not you believe there should've or shouldn't have been a fight after that crosscheck, you have to agree that Roszival tried to snake his way out of it which made it look much worse than it should've.  

10 minutes ago, Wonder__Bread said:

Although I do partially agree with you in regards to fights getting started over clean hits, I disagree with the notion that this was a sucker punch. Both players were facing each other and Roszival taunts him by opening his hands/arms as if to ask, "What are you gonna do about it?", and Ritchie clearly showed him (you can argue that Roszival wasn't taunting but just opening his arms in a way to ask Ritchie, "Really? What did I do?", but I don't buy it based on his facial expression). Whether that was Roszivals intentions or not is irrelevant. 

Roszival knew what he was doing and he knew who he was doing it to. He should expect to at the very least get into a scrum for doing something like that, it's just a part of hockey. Say we turn the table and Ritchie crosschecks Kane like Roszival did to Perry, you would 100% expect someone from Chicago to go after Ritchie and come out swinging.

I don't like Ritchie, but I didn't see anything wrong here, at the very least I don't think this should've been suspended (penalty for sure though). Roszival should've dropped the gloves to protect himself, instead he pushed Ritchie then cowered. Whether or not you believe there should've or shouldn't have been a fight after that crosscheck, you have to agree that Roszival tried to snake his way out of it which made it look much worse than it should've.  

I think what gains it the label of sucker punch was how fast it came when there was no scrum or gloves being dropped by both sides.  A scrum was exactly what I expected to happen here, with some words and shoves to heat things up and potentially escalating into some punches thrown, but Ritchie came in with the fist flying instead.

I think with the Kane example you gave, I don't think I would expect anything other than a scrum.  While it was close to the boards, it didn't look from the OP video that Perry went into the boards as a result of the check, so I don't see it any different than a crosscheck in front of the net with people sparring for position.  The crosscheck just wasn't that big a deal from the angles I saw, which is why I think Ritchie overreacted.

I'm not sure on Ritchie's suspension history, so the two games for this could be out of line when compared to Marchand, for instance.  But you know this league is trying to wuss things down some and cut down on fighting, so perhaps that weighed into the decision.

2 hours ago, Wonder__Bread said:

Michael Rosival was doing his job. He shouldn't have to or be expected to "answer the bell".

Archived