The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mafia - General Discussion

Rate this topic

On 4/16/2017 at 3:43 PM, Master Radishes said:

Whilst we wait for a new game...

Mafia question of the day: is fake roleclaiming when you're TP ever good for the Town?

The only reason I can think of off the top of my head would be if the townie in question was trying to take a bullet for the real special they're claiming for, which would usually require both of them to be in contact. In a game with no outside communication, I'd say at least 9/10 times it's bad town play or a scum move.

23 hours ago, Master Radishes said:

Mafia question of the day: Should the Vigilante, if in the game, act on his/her own, or follow the Town's public advice?

It really depends on how strong of a game the town is playing, IMO. If scum are being picked off left and right by good town play, the Vigilante should really be following the town consensus and taking out "obvious" mafia. Otherwise, they should play to their own hunches and ignore suggestions from players who, for all they know, could be scum looking to get an extra townie killed. More often than not, it's probably the latter scenario that's playing out for most of the game so I guess that's the more applicable answer.

• Like 1

Next year, if mafia is still played on this site, we should have a game of mafia, the MVP gets to go no matter what. It'd be a fun game imo because of the reward on the line. 

Edited by Guest
4 hours ago, Stamkos said:

Next year, if mafia is still played on this site, we should have a game of mafia, the MVP gets to go no matter what. It'd be a fun game imo because of the reward on the line. 

Unfortunately, reppin' CDC seems to be more of a burden than it is an award.

• Like 1
On 2017-04-18 at 3:18 AM, Beluga Whale said:

What if I say Vig should act on their own but that includes listening to the Town's consensus sometimes?

Stop being reasonable. We're supposed to be debating.

What if the TP all say 'yeah, MR seems green' and you, the Vig, heavily suspect otherwise?

On 2017-04-18 at 10:06 PM, Intoewsables said:

It really depends on how strong of a game the town is playing, IMO. If scum are being picked off left and right by good town play, the Vigilante should really be following the town consensus and taking out "obvious" mafia. Otherwise, they should play to their own hunches and ignore suggestions from players who, for all they know, could be scum looking to get an extra townie killed. More often than not, it's probably the latter scenario that's playing out for most of the game so I guess that's the more applicable answer.

Follow-up: should the Vig submit a kill R1?

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Stamkos said:

A one-off game doesn't really prove worth, though. And the problem is we have so many players who would represent CDC admirably, but can only send one a year. 'Seniority' (as it were) is perhaps the fairest way to ensure deserving players get their chance.

Also, I object to your insinuation that we might not still be playing Mafia in a year's time. The first game was over eight years ago - we'll make it one more year. :P

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Zfetch said:

Mafia question of the day: Should selecting the MK be based on killing off who is obviously a regular TP or someone who could possibly be a special?

Obviously it varies depending on, e.g. how many roles are in a game, how certain the team is on who is a special, etc. Specials should be taken out, but if it's all just guesswork, it might be better to take out the leading TP in the thread. If someone roleclaims in the thread, I'm usually tempted to let them be if Mafia, and then doubt might be cast on their claim by others about why they weren't killed.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Master Radishes said:

Also, I object to your insinuation that we might not still be playing Mafia in a year's time. The first game was over eight years ago - we'll make it one more year. :P

We've played, what, two games since New Years? It's been going downhill. I hope there's mafia, I just don't know

Are there any rules that specifically deny to a GM, the information they give out or withhold, and/or how to interpret the kills in a Nightfall Report. (info again)

Should a GM be forthcoming (roles and info) in the OP? (I liked how Trex kept no secret on the Specials in the game)

Should the NF Reports format ( Info given) be laid out in the OP also? Similar to the kill order.

Hope that's not confusing.

I guess what I'm really asking is: When does or if, too much information can impact the game negatively.

Can you say in the NF report that the Vig killed a mafia and name that mafia role?

Is it better to say 'would not or could not' make a kill or investigation as opposed to actually saying the real reason?(dead)

I've used that one myself. It seems to me that saying the Vig or SK is dead might influence the game in some way.

Should a GM name all the Special Roles in a game in the OP, or not? A disclaimer like: 'Some of these roles may or may not be used in the game', if a list names more roles than will be used in the game?

Can another mafia team and or 3rd. party be kept secret in the OP?

I would like to be a better GM/Host.

I'm working on a game where rounds are called legs because the game is a rally race.

The period of time from Thread Locked to Next Leg Start is Pit Time.

There would be Time bonuses and penalties. The Winner of each Leg, as determined by the GM would receive a Time Bonus.

(posts and activity would be criteria used)

Leaving the Pit early would get a Time Penalty. There may be other bonuses to earn or get.

Stay tuned for the "Wacky Racers". (would need a minimum of 25 players)

• Like 1

Simply put, there are no rules about anything. If you're the GM, you do what you want. The flip side, of course, is that players have a right to express their dislike if they don't approve of your set up.

I find myself not really sure if I like giving away too much info. It makes it easier for both sides and ruins potential strategies. There's something to be said for forcing players to speculate about who was which role. Also, I know I've definitely, as SK, purposely not killed one night to make everything think I was dead. That wouldn't work if everything was out in the open.

Just personal preference I think. I'd still play a game otherwise.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Master Radishes said:

Simply put, there are no rules about anything. If you're the GM, you do what you want. The flip side, of course, is that players have a right to express their dislike if they don't approve of your set up.

I find myself not really sure if I like giving away too much info. It makes it easier for both sides and ruins potential strategies. There's something to be said for forcing players to speculate about who was which role. Also, I know I've definitely, as SK, purposely not killed one night to make everything think I was dead. That wouldn't work if everything was out in the open.

Just personal preference I think. I'd still play a game otherwise.

While I certainly don't want players pissed at me, it is more important to me is that the game is fair, balanced, and fun.

I will continue with the stingy NF Reports.(roles) I agree and thanks.

• Like 1

FINAL UPDATE

Your representative has been slotted into this game below.

GAME 6 @ MAY 22 (36/12 Phase Lengths w/ 10 PM EST deadline)
@7-Zark-7 (ARS Technica)
@AragakiAyase (Flash Flash Revolution)
@Bious (Jesus Toast Mafia)
@bruin228 (Nutopia)
@Burnmad (BZPower)
@Cobalt (Gay Teen Forum)
@Fable (No Goblins Allowed)
@Flare (Survival of the Fittest)
@Jon Paul (DailyMafia)
@MysteriousLad (Wars World News Forums)
@One one two (Canucks Community)
@Ronaldwho (Xtratime)
@Shooter0898 (Sackinima)
@Skyoden (Hattrick.org (Chilean))
@Vaimes (MTG Salvation)

Do you wish to spectate and/or talk with players from other communities?
We have a big chat on Discord (300+ members) for those that want to spectate and talk about these games. The representatives will be added to this channel too after they die. Or if you just want to chat with people from other communities, we have a general chat too that is unrelated to the Mafia Championship.

1) CLICK HERE TO JOIN: https://discord.gg/zdeEhcg
2) Tag one of the red or blue people in the chat (write @Thingyman or @staff for example), let them know who you are and from what community, and they'll give you the necessary permissions to see the spectator channel. This is necessary to avoid the wrong people (the representatives and their backups) joining the channel.

You don't need to have Discord installed in order to join the channel, as there is a web version.

Do you want to have your own private community spectator chat?
This is definitely both allowed and encouraged. However, I ask that you please do everything possible to make this chat private and inaccessible to your representative, backup and your representative's opponents. It's important that your thoughts and comments don't influence the game. In other words, please don't post about the game in public threads -- this is very important.

Where do I get more info?
Refer to this thread: http://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/7692-Season-4-The-Time-Is-Now%21

This thread will tell you all the details about this season. It also includes the list of participating communities and their representatives.

If you need to get in contact with me, my Skype is "thingyman" and my Discord is "Thingyman#6075". From this point on I will be checking in less on the various sites. I will make sure to pop in again though when your representative's game starts and post a link :)

• Like 1

@Master Radishes and @Beluga Whale

I pledge to no longer use the terms "I am TP" or "100% TP", even if I am TP. (in game play)

I will try to play better from now on. Thanks for the constructive criticisms.

Any thing else that I should stop doing? I am not being sarcastic.

I enjoy playing with you guys and learning play and tactics.

Edited by JAY JAY
I had a reason
  • Like 1

I only want you to pledge one thing, JJ - pledge to stop apologising for yourself. You say whatever you want to say, and play however you want to play. BW and I (and others) are not Mafia gods who make the rules. Do what you want. We're not mocking you with the 'JJ is TP' thing out of meanness. We just love extended jokes. Roll with it and keep playing the game however you want to play it.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Master Radishes said:

I only want you to pledge one thing, JJ - pledge to stop apologising for yourself. You say whatever you want to say, and play however you want to play. BW and I (and others) are not Mafia gods who make the rules. Do what you want. We're not mocking you with the 'JJ is TP' thing out of meanness. We just love extended jokes. Roll with it and keep playing the game however you want to play it.

9 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

Yeah I was only joking about that. You can say whatever you like as long as it's within the rules. 

I like the jokes and joking that people do. I like my mafia game family.

I meant that I realize that saying I'm TP means nothing to anyone.

If I'm town, I'll scum hunt.

I don't consider you 2 to be gods, just bullies!

Ha Ha

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...