The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mafia - General Discussion

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, mau5trap said:

123 pages damn y'all going in rn 

The game was slightly bloated by some classic Zfetch shenanigans. The first 50 pages were from "Round A", where everyone was a villager, thinking we were playing real mafia. After that, Zfetch killed off the inactive and the game started. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Assertion: TP openly special-hunting is not as bad as it seems

-Scum are going to be special hunting anyway, and if a random VT can find the specials in thread then the scum most likely can as well

-Specials often play more to their scum meta because they don’t want to be noticed; it’s likely they will face scrutiny at some point and even a wagon on them; it’s better to find out who they are to stop an accidental mislynch

-If a special has to claim to avoid their own mislynch, the wagon stops but then they get NKed. If, instead, Player X says ‘___ is a special role’ then they can stop the wagon, but the scum then have to gamble on whether Player X is correct or not, and the real special role doesn't have to confirm anything

-If someone openly special hunts it can mess the scum up as much as help them – after all, if they’re wrong, they’ve misdirected the scum’s attention onto a wrong target

tl;dr

Basically scum are going to be hunting anyway and you can misdirect them and/or protect the real special roles if you openly hunt them yourself

Discuss.

7 hours ago, Master Radishes said:

Assertion: TP openly special-hunting is not as bad as it seems

-Scum are going to be special hunting anyway, and if a random VT can find the specials in thread then the scum most likely can as well

-Specials often play more to their scum meta because they don’t want to be noticed; it’s likely they will face scrutiny at some point and even a wagon on them; it’s better to find out who they are to stop an accidental mislynch

-If a special has to claim to avoid their own mislynch, the wagon stops but then they get NKed. If, instead, Player X says ‘___ is a special role’ then they can stop the wagon, but the scum then have to gamble on whether Player X is correct or not, and the real special role doesn't have to confirm anything

-If someone openly special hunts it can mess the scum up as much as help them – after all, if they’re wrong, they’ve misdirected the scum’s attention onto a wrong target

tl;dr

Basically scum are going to be hunting anyway and you can misdirect them and/or protect the real special roles if you openly hunt them yourself

Discuss.

I agree that it's a complex topic that is not black and white.

Here's where it can become negative: Say you have special hunting from a VT results in that VT being excluded from the wolves' list of potential specials. e.g. player X is trying to out the sheriff, so he probably isn't the sheriff, and the pool of potential sheriffs has just narrowed for the wolves. Yes, I agree that this example is an opportunity for deliberate misdirection from villagers, but on CDC most players would never do that.

Furthermore, newer or inexperienced players may respond to being special hunted in a way that is very indicative of their role, causing them to effectively out themselves. I've seen this happen a few times here. 

Another point - and a minor one - is that you may not want to give any help to a wolf team that may be inexperienced or may not be paying enough attention. Example: last game I thought SS was certainly the sheriff in R2. If I'm VT and I share this, maybe he dies and the town loses. 

So in conclusion, whether this is good or bad is highly dependent on the roster you have. In principle, in a game with all or mostly strong and experienced players, I would say almost anything goes. But with many inexperienced players, or players not accustomed to laying special cover, this could be detrimental to encourage. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • -SN- pinned this topic

Here's the thread for Kurisu's game (starts tomorrow): https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/26082-Season-7-Game-7-Dr-Town-and-Mr-Mafia-The-Mafia-Championship

If you plan on following along and want to discuss it with me and others, DM me here or on Discord and we'll set it up. (But remember, no discussions in public threads). I'd recommend following along, because you will learn a lot.

@Kurisu, good luck my man. It's gonna be the hardest game you've played by far, but you'll improve tremendously because of it. 

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, SixFootFiveAndJackedAF said:

Team killing for mafia needs to be allowed.

It is necessary in a situation where you need to smear multiple Townies and the best way to do it is by killing your fellow wolf.

If a player abuses the function, punish them dont punish the game.

who is with me??

Agreed.

In the Krazz days, Mafia kills never revealed info. It would just say something like Master Radishes - [unknown]. It meant we didn't always know when the sheriff or doc was dead or anything.

I once used the Mafia kill to kill a teammate to try to fake out the townies who were beginning to piece the game together. It didn't work - they guessed what was happening and we still lost. :lol:

Anyway, no, team killing is stupid.

8 hours ago, naslund.is.king said:

Mafia Need to start making somewhat of a plan/strategy to hopefully win a game

I don't think scum teams need a plan per se. They need confidence. They need to not just sit back and hope not to be noticed - they need to not be afraid to misdirect the town, create a narrative, etc. If the setup is closed, they need to cause chaos. If the setup is open, they need to push their agenda and stop focusing on bussing their partners for towncred.