The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mafia - General Discussion

Rate this topic

Rather than work today, I created a quiz. Below are 20 quotes from players (including some of you) in past games (within the last 4 years, no earlier). The quiz is simple: is the poster town or mafia?

PM me your answers.

(Bonus points if you correctly guess who wrote any of them.)

Agreed.  Basically anyone trolling to that degree is a null read at best.  However, it can throw off the reads for other players as it can bring emotion into other players' votes.  Behaviour like this gives an easy target for the mafia to latch onto and gives them a great excuse to lynch a TP. 

By my count, Aladeen has 65 posts in the last 24 hours. Does anyone know what the limit is? He's claiming he's hit it and can't post, but I thought it was 100/day.

What do we make of the CL post?

He's mafia  so he could just be trying to set up bassi but heffy getting lynched is odd.  Didn't bassi say that heffy was the most TP player and then this happened?

Let's hear what bassi has to say.

Just take a strong hard look at who's leading all of you guys (for those few that don't already know, Aladeen). Jazz swayed so easily, Heffy so easily taking Aladeen's side given he's a veteran (do you even skepticize bro?) and look at AV, bandwagon central, "yup I agree with this and yeah I agree with that". Throws in the random disagreement to make himself look legit.

I'm going to predict that bassi joins the wagon on me at some point, and for someone who hasn't contributed much aside taking sides he's obviously one to look at. I would laugh so hard if these guys were all Mafia and they're the ones carrying the discussion.

The ones who've had the most experience (Heffy of note, bassi previous round) and are least skeptical of whoever is leading (Aladeen). I'd rather trust GG at this point because he's actually trying to think it through now. At least the guy is willing to think things out. And that's saying a lot since I doubted him since the game began.

I'd like to think I'm pretty level-headed aside from last round, but you guys are really testing me. That's why I really, really hope I'm the naive sheriff. Then everything would make sense.

VoteA ilduce

VoteB Aladeen

At least, with this, you guys can't say I gave up too easily. I tried to stay alive, summarized pages of content to make it easier on the actives/inactives, and risked being suspended/permanently banned (though I didn't know this was a consequence at the time) from future games.

TLs gotta die if he is Mafia that will clear zfetch and town will be sitting pretty... All town have to vote TL imo

if Kaz and Jazz are telling the truth then it will be down to Mau, JL, Dral and a very slim almost non existent chance AV 

i think there is almost no chance zfetch would make this claim as a Mafia since it was looking like TL was going to be hung anyways and zfetch could have just voted for TL.

TL is caught probably Mafia JOAT 

JL is likely

Then maybe mau or Dral? Idk

WE CAN'T LET THIS BE A TIE. THAT WOULD PROBABLY SEAL IT.
AAAAAAHH

5 mins!!

At this point, it doesn't matter what tone I'm using.

We have just over a half hour to verify his role claim.  By refusing to tell us who his targets are, he's only making his self-proclaimed TP self look bad.

As I write this, he's refused again.

So, so, so scummy.  There is absolutely no benefit to withholding that info.

If you are actually town, do what's best for your faction.

Looking back, the jazz vote honestly looks clean to me with the exception of the last vote on him. I went back and looked at TL's round 1 posts, and the only time he mentioned or acknowledged jazz was when he said he didn't like any of J23's reads, which featured BW, WW, and Jazz on them. He also agreed with Zfetch that WW gave off scummy vibes and WW had 2 votes on him closer to nightfall when TL entered and voted jazz. I can't give TL any sort of town lean because I don't see any sort of mindset progression from him that warranted him voting for jazz (an inconsequential vote I might add) over someone he previously agreed was scummy in WW

Ask yourself this, only if you are town, would I have thought we caught BW together if I was scum? BW is leading all of this and leading you along... he has been pocketing you from the get go... you contacted scum first round assuming anything you told me was true

Unvote

Vote Kryten.

Too low-key. Reaction desired.

Bbl.

LOL, says you. MR was an eazy call for me. Literally no one had him as a scum candidate other than me, so I didn't fear the risk of potentially setting it on the would be lynch. DM and jazz had their names thrown out in the previous round and I wasn't sure if Lewt was going to be able to talk himself out of a lynch in the time I was gone. Intoews was my other serious consideration, but as soon as MR taunted me, he figuratively and literally asked for it. My poor decision has put us in a tougher spot than need be, but I don't have any regret/hesitation over the final decision.

THAT'S THE POINT

3P DON'T GIVE A &^@# IF TOWN WIN

if you throw this game after complaining about dm throwing last game you're a &^@#ing hypocrite (unless mafia obv)

i have to wait for you to die to see if you're lying. but i cant just nolynch, and i cant vote 112 for theres way too much risk there. the only option i have is to lynch the 3p who's explicitly claimed NOT TOWN. if we lynch anyone but him today or nolynch, i die tonight, town might lose majority depending on where jazz swings, and it's unnecessary risk.

the ONLY play for town to make here is to lynch jazz. if not, you'd be throwing harder than melvin ever has

it's real &^@#ing simple

Interesting observation: TL is acting very confident in Kryten being the last wolf - like he isn't really talking about the other hypotheticals. A wolf in his spot obviously needs two mislynches to win, so he'll need to go after someone other than Kryten next round. The more obvious wolf-oriented plan is to already set-up the next lynch by establishing possible cases against his future mislynches. i.e. he wouldn't necessarily be acting like Kryten is locked as the final wolf.

So maybe he is just town, or maybe he's a smart wolf that's doing some anti-TMI tactics to throw us off?

- Zfetch looking very towny after R1 nightfall (P.48-49).

- falcon posting without really adding anything to the discussion.

- MR with a good dive into T-rex's posts. Can't say I disagree with anything here. One thing to add: if T-rex were the type of player to call any of his teammates out, I'm leaning falcon right now. But as MR notes, this is WIFOM and not worth reading into too much.

- Still very much town-reading Zfetch. Disagree on wanting to lynch 112 and TL but his posts are very good.

- MR makes a good point about BJ jumping onto the T-rex bandwagon quite late. No progression towards scum-reading T-rex; just seems to want to follow the pack. Not a good look. As for Jazz, he always seems to post that wishy-washy kind of stuff but I agree that in a vacuum, that's not a very towny look.

One thing I find quite interesting is that when you're being voted and under the pressure of one other individual, it is usually very easy to understand if their intent is towny or scummy.

AVs suspicion in me comes off to me as scummy and not genuine.

What's even wilder is that AV should be picking up that my view of him is from a towny perspective but he's locked in his ways. I don't think TP AV would do that

I think every game I play with you, I'm a scum lean. Usually its because I'm inactive and I think that reputation has followed me. 

Or maybe it's because I don't do the lists and leans, and stuff that is common. With the number of players in round 1, its just unwieldy and guess-y

These post are too stupid by half for you two. You're both way better critical thinkers than this.

MR been playing confused and sketchy all game. Just making everything muddy. Having absolutely no direction is totally out of character for him.

Way too much white space in the quoted falc post. It's like he wanted to say something else, but didnt because it looked scummy.

At least hogs is using his brain.

MR, Falc, WW?

Dude, you are an aggressive poster, and quite frankly most of your 'townreads' consist of "I said they're town, nobody question me"

You gave TP cred to GCG16, after like 2 posts? Absurdly premature. Don't act so shocked when people doubt your reads.

M&H/kaz seems forced... dunno, maybe I'm just stoned... MH is kinda scummy, maybe, dunno you can never read a drunk - I definitely like the idea of Thunderdoming BW and Kryten tho

Virt didn't vote for me first either, so he's definitely mafia.. at the very least he's our MVP so it's no big loss if he dies first...

AV has a convienant aliby to cruse into the 2nd/3rd round under the radar, I'd investigate him first, or someone else quiet, if I was the sheriff... but I'm not, so I wont...

If I was the vig, I kill some of the quiet older  vets... Duce, GFY, KH... none of them are big losses to the TP, but are very stronger players when they are mafia... especially when they aren't contributing...

I think we should have a prop bet on who gets GK'd for inactivity first... make a pool... I'm definitely putting my money on WOATIS

That all seems about right (especially the MH and TL portion). 

I did not like Falcon's opening post at all but I dont really know him to say if that is his TP persona or not.

I am not sure about Duce but at least he posted something, even if it is as safe as can be. 

With this much uncertainty, wouldn't it be prudent to remove the players who will not engage and keep around the players who will?

Unvote for now

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, DarthMelvin said:

They all seem logic based... so Lucky isn't in the mix - Well maybe #5 where he mentions almost everyone in the game..

Soooo....

John Cena Reaction GIF by WWE

heh heh

jourdan dunn finger guns GIF

Well #17 is scum me, 18 might be too... but I kinda feel like that's falc.

So you're still the dumberest

Edited by luckylager
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

I made some changes to the rules that I thought were needed. Let me know if you have any critiques or suggested adjustments. 

1) Rounds end at a specified time, usually during late evening PST; the exact time will vary depending on the GM. The GM will update as quickly as possible; please be patient if there is a delay.

2) Once you've been killed off, please do not interfere with the game. Don't post during in-game discussions or loan your opinion to players, not even privately. The only comments you make should be completely off-topic and in no danger of influencing the game in any manner. Do not even up-vote posts relating to the game. Please also stay honest when conducting private correspondence.

3) Please stay active. If you sign up, that means you want to play. If you are not active enough you may be killed off or subbed out without notice. Ask the host to clarify any activity rules before the game. 

4) Screenshots of any communication (especially with the GM) are not allowed. It is also against the rules to copy/paste any message from the GM. Do not invite the GM into any private conversations, unless to prove rule-breaking. Faked screenshots/messages are subject to this rule as well, at the discretion of the GM.

5) If you are eliminated by vote, you are sometimes allowed "last words" (ask to host for clarification). You can say whatever you like at this time. However, anyone who is killed by any other means does not get last words.

6) Please avoid editing your posts, in order to prevent changing or removing information in old posts. Some GMs may grant leeway if the edit is made within the first 10 minutes after posting; after 10 minutes, there may be punishment. Other GMs allow zero editing.

7) Do not bring outside factors or external influence into the game. Making bets, offering real-life rewards, or claiming to ban yourself from future games to prove your innocence will not be tolerated. Out-of-game influence constitutes anything that is not within the game itself, but can influence the game. 

8) Do not violate the spirit of the game. Exploiting loopholes or doing anything against the spirit of the game without actually breaking a rule is considered "angleshooting" and will not be tolerated. The exact interpretation of this rule will be at the discretion of the GM. Just because there may be a loophole in the rule's wording does not mean the rule can be averted. The GM of the game will have final say on what constitutes rule breakage.

9) Maintain game integrity. This is an extension of both rules (7) and (8), including anything that has potential to degrade the game's integrity. Below are the most common things that can compromise game integrity:

i. Discussing private communications with the host. This is effectively out-of-game influence and should never be brought up by players in the game-thread. 

ii. Asking the host game-related questions in the thread. This needs to be done in private.

iii. Discussing God-kills and substitutions. Both of these things should be considered external to the game that is being played and thus should not be talked about. This should be left up to the host and not the players. To be clear, this only refers to discussing the act of GKing or subbing-out a player. Examples: "I don't think if Virt was mafia he would let himself get GKd." "Host, Virt should be GKd for that." Or, "Aladeen wouldn't have been subbed out if he was vanilla town."

iv. Any rule-breakage or angleshooting that deliberately confers an advantage to one team is not acceptable and will be taken seriously. 

10) The word of the GM is final. If you disagree with a decision, feel free to say so (privately), but understand that the ongoing game will likely not be altered. And please remain civil if you do have a complaint – remember that the GMs are devoting their own time to running this game for you.

11) Remember, this is just a game! If things start getting heated or personal between players, take a breath and a step back. Just have fun, and don't take it too hard if you get duped during the game!

3) I've changed the ruling that players must vote every two rounds to avoid GK. That was arbitrary and that ruling should be left up to the host of each game. Imo, GKs should not be handed out lightly, as they are basically a last resort to deal with a player that isn't playing. We should do a better job establishing what type of activity is required and how quickly phase lengths will be. Furthermore, substitutions in the early-game should also be considered. 

5) Last words should also be up to the host and not a universal. I personally don't think this should be allowed with the way we play. Consider the fact that the flushed player will be giving last words after the night-actions occur, and thus will be speaking with more information than the time they were alive. 

7) Added a bit to this. Out of game influence or external factors can cover a lot of ground, but essentially nothing outside of the game itself should be brought into the game. 

9) This is slightly redundant as it covers the previous two points, but I still feel it's necessary to explain why certain instances are bad for game integrity. 

Edited by Ceres
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 11:46 PM, Blue Jay 22 said:

What is CDC mafia?

It is a forum where some people come to play a online forum game. The game consists of random roles handed out to some most arrogant and pretentious people who think that their actual status in this forum called CDC Mafia will somehow manifest in their real life. The game starts out harmless enough, but then comes the first accusation of "scumminess"  then all heck breaks loose. The name calling, slandering and disparaging comments come, with a never ending flow of sarcasm. 

And that's from just one person....me lol

goodfellas GIF

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Beluga Whale said:

The only things that truly annoy me are inactivity and angelshooting/rule breaking. Everything else I can deal with. 

I cannot stress enough how bad it is for the game if you have players missing entire rounds or only posting once or twice during them. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

From this day forward.. no more..

Only assy gifs to all players with no offense.

Benedict Cumberbatch Wink GIF

Gotta say, if you'd ever played a tp game like you did the last I might have read your posts.

I've read them now, but your meta was way outta wack.

Did we experience the DM that will continue to play, or was that just a one hit wonder?

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1