The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mafia - General Discussion

Rate this topic

Con't discussion from the game thread:

21 minutes ago, Armbar said:

This endgame is why I've been complaining about specials since the dawn of time. And by the dawn of time I mean February of 2016.

4 minutes ago, Beluga Whale said:

I tried to eradicate PMing from CDC mafia for this reason. I think specials are fine but it's the PMing that takes away from the true spirit of the game. 

Unfortunately the overall activity of these games is so low that it's very difficult for the town to have a fair chance without PMing. Idk what the solution is at this point. I've tried to implement activity requirements but it never works.

My old solution to the activity problem was to give everyone a role (which is how the original Zodiac game came about). The less active types tend to be more interested when they have a bigger stake in the game. And although I'm sure Armbar is having an apoplectic fit at the idea, I found it doesn't actually change the game all that much - the best scumhunting still comes from the usual methods.

But as fun as those role madness games can be, many of us want a pure vanilla game now and then too, and that is less successful (unless you carefully select your participants; BW, remember that PM invite game we did? I accidentally deleted the thread when clearing my inbox though. :( )

I've also done a game where PMs were banned, except certain roles could connect two players by PM for one round at a time. Sort of a hybrid idea.

But the truth is that CDC Mafia isn't active enough these days to sustain a no-PM vanilla game. Back during 2013-2014, when we had Kryten, Aladeen, GFY, Alchemy Time, Peaches, etc at their peak levels, we could've done it. But not right now.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Master Radishes said:

Con't discussion from the game thread:

My old solution to the activity problem was to give everyone a role (which is how the original Zodiac game came about). The less active types tend to be more interested when they have a bigger stake in the game. And although I'm sure Armbar is having an apoplectic fit at the idea, I found it doesn't actually change the game all that much - the best scumhunting still comes from the usual methods.

But as fun as those role madness games can be, many of us want a pure vanilla game now and then too, and that is less successful (unless you carefully select your participants; BW, remember that PM invite game we did? I accidentally deleted the thread when clearing my inbox though. :( )

I've also done a game where PMs were banned, except certain roles could connect two players by PM for one round at a time. Sort of a hybrid idea.

But the truth is that CDC Mafia isn't active enough these days to sustain a no-PM vanilla game. Back during 2013-2014, when we had Kryten, Aladeen, GFY, Alchemy Time, Peaches, etc at their peak levels, we could've done it. But not right now.

That's true. A lot of the bigger role madness games have had a lot of activity because of that interest from the roles. I think we may be in need of that type of game for a revival.

Whaaaat you mean it's gone forever? That was one of my all time favourite games and not just because I won. :P

I'm still waiting to set another one of those up but a few players we need are too busy right now.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Beluga Whale said:

That's true. A lot of the bigger role madness games have had a lot of activity because of that interest from the roles. I think we may be in need of that type of game for a revival.

Whaaaat you mean it's gone forever? That was one of my all time favourite games and not just because I won. :P

I'm still waiting to set another one of those up but a few players we need are too busy right now.

There are other factors too, but with the right conditions a couple good role madness games would conceivably revitalise CDC Mafia enough to allow for a few good vanilla games to follow too. But we would need more players than right now, I think. If a certain percentage are always going to be less active, we need a few more active players in the mix too for a good game that gets people interested.

CDC Mafia goes in cycles. We're still in a bit of a down cycle, but if we can sustain halfway decent games for awhile longer, inevitably it will grow again. I also think around Game 195 or so I'll start contacting old players to try to build hype for Game 200, and maybe a few would return to play.

As for our game, I guess if one of the other participants (VIC, TL, Toes, 112, you) hasn't left the convo, it still exists? Can someone be re-invited if they've left? Or maybe Stealth can do something - he's offered to help us out before. Not a big deal (I didn't include it in the list of games anyway) but it was a really good game as I recall. :P

Edited by Master Radishes
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Master Radishes said:

There are other factors too, but with the right conditions a couple good role madness games would conceivably revitalise CDC Mafia enough to allow for a few good vanilla games to follow too. But we would need more players than right now, I think. If a certain percentage are always going to be less active, we need a few more active players in the mix too for a good game that gets people interested.

CDC Mafia goes in cycles. We're still in a bit of a down cycle, but if we can sustain halfway decent games for awhile longer, inevitably it will grow again. I also think around Game 195 or so I'll start contacting old players to try to build hype for Game 200, and maybe a few would return to play.

As for our game, I guess if one of the other participants (VIC, TL, Toes, you) hasn't left the convo, it still exists? Can someone be re-invited if they've left? Or maybe Stealth can do something - he's offered to help us out before. Not a big deal (I didn't include it in the list of games anyway) but it was a really good game as I recall. :P

I checked my inbox and it wasn't there so I assume it's gone since I wouldn't have deleted it. Maybe PMs disappear if the creator leaves the conversation? Not a big deal though; it can Iive on as a mafia myth.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Time Lord said:

I still have it. MR can't be added back. BW is still there

Good to know. :)

Favour to ask: when you (or BW) get a chance, can you check for me roughly how many pages of the convo there are (preferably not counting post-game chatter)? I think I'll add it to the games list as a '.5' game so we have a record of it but we don't include it in any official stats.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Master Radishes said:

Good to know. :)

Favour to ask: when you (or BW) get a chance, can you check for me roughly how many pages of the convo there are (preferably not counting post-game chatter)? I think I'll add it to the games list as a '.5' game so we have a record of it but we don't include it in any official stats.

Lol yeah I actually still have it. Phew. I was looking for it in the time period it took place but I forgot I had posted in it more recently.

There are basically 18 pages of gameplay which works out to approximately 450 posts I believe.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, Beluga Whale said:

Mafia question of the day:

How do you be a good TP?

This question is deeper than "duh have good scum reads". 

The goal of the TP is to win the game by destroying any other threats. Mainly scum. To be a successful TP, you should play a positive contributing factor in winning the game. There are many ways to achieve this.

○The 112211: Lure others into speaking more often in order to better solve the game.

○The FlirtyVirt: Fake a roleclaim as TP, successfully offputting the mafia and their plans.(use with caution)

○The herder: create a TP alliance

○The Mr.MR: solo the game and dictate the TPs moves and reads.

○The Aladeen: joke in the thread often enough to catch people who are hiding.

○The Bpgula: bounce off the fatty cut of your jib and try to emulate MR.

Generally, there would be many ways in which you can be a good TP, but being helpful in your own way to ultimately win the game is how you are a good TP.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Zfetch said:

The goal of the TP is to win the game by destroying any other threats. Mainly scum. To be a successful TP, you should play a positive contributing factor in winning the game. There are many ways to achieve this.

○The 112211: Lure others into speaking more often in order to better solve the game.

○The FlirtyVirt: Fake a roleclaim as TP, successfully offputting the mafia and their plans.(use with caution)

○The herder: create a TP alliance

○The Mr.MR: solo the game and dictate the TPs moves and reads.

○The Aladeen: joke in the thread often enough to catch people who are hiding.

○The Bpgula: bounce off the fatty cut of your jib and try to emulate MR.

Generally, there would be many ways in which you can be a good TP, but being helpful in your own way to ultimately win the game is how you are a good TP.

Oh oh here's a magic trick for you feltchy:

little-girl-performs-magic-trick.gif

and don't forget:

○The Feltchy: Act so scummy there is no way a scum would act so scummy so he must be TP 

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2017-06-06 at 8:47 PM, Beluga Whale said:

Mafia question of the day:

How do you be a good TP?

This question is deeper than "duh have good scum reads". 

You don't even necessarily need to have good scum reads to still be a valuable TP team member.

A few easy ideas:

-Don't do stupid **** that will distract the Town (like fake roleclaims, etc.)

-Be active. Even if you feel you have nothing new to add, just weigh in on some ongoing discussions or give a list of reads. Lurking is anti-Town and it distracts others from hunting for active scum.

-When voting, always give a reason. Even if you're just bandwagoning, explain why you're doing it.

-Be open to changing your mind about a player you were scumreading early in the game.

-Re-read the game thread whenever you have time, even if it's only bits of it. Often we miss things when we are in the midst of posting, and it's only with a retrospective look do we notice potential clues.

More advanced ideas:

-Read words and tone carefully, and ask yourself a few questions, such as: is this person trying to solve the game? Are they qualifying their statements or fence-sitting? If this person is TP/mafia, do they say this? Basically, put yourself in the mindset of a mafia - you're trying to blend in, you're hesitant to make a strong read, etc.

-When someone flips scum, look at who they previously interacted with. While mafia do tend to call each other out throughout the game, they never actively push a teammate's lynch if they can help it. Look for the names they 'slip in' to their reads list but never vote for.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2