The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Season's To-Do List? (3 Things)

Nuxfanabroad

Another thread got me thinking, what should be our main objectives/priorities next season? For the sake of(somewhat focused) discussion, let's agree on a few things:

- Willie will be shown the door

- We'll be healthier(perhaps around 200 man-games lost)

- We won't be PO-ready, yet in 2017~18(presumably finish bottom 25% of teams)

- Not signing any significant FA's to big bucks this summer(not over 3 mill, or so)

Here's a few steps I'd like to see...

1) More toughness inserted into lineup

2) Aim for more offensive contributions from the back end..(partly by trading for an offensive D, off-season)

3 ) More balance spread throughout lines. Try to roll all 4, more evenly

Obviously at 29th OA, there's a sh*tload of areas to improve upon..what would be your hopes for 3 areas they might first address?

I would like to see:

- improvement in our special teams under the new coach. This is a must if our roster is weak 

- better in game management. We need to get back to line matchups instead a pure rolling 4 lines. Need greater focus on offence vs a pure trap defence first environment

- we need more accountability regardless of whether it's a vet , farm plug or a rookie 

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

I would like to see:

- improvement in our special teams under the new coach. This is a must if our roster is weak 

- better in game management. We need to get back to line matchups instead a pure rolling 4 lines. Need greater focus on offence vs a pure trap defence first environment

- we need more accountability regardless of whether it's a vet , farm plug or a rookie 

Pretty good 2-8er, I was thinking about special teams too. Thanks

I don't see WD going anywhere but behind our bench next season, but having said that, there are some in-house answers to your points ....

Re team toughness:  Guddy will be back, as will Dorsett (although how aggressive he will be after neck fusion, who knows) and I can see Labate winning a permanent 4th line spot. I hope we manage to retain Sbisa, who is one of our few defensemen who hits  (hello Tanev and Hutton).  I'm ambivalent about Edler, who does hit, but in my mind his bad (lethargy, screening own goalie,  pass choices, shot choices, passivity) outweigh the good (minute-muncher, hits, shot-blocking, mentoring of Stecher), so it wouldn't faze me if he were exposed to and claimed by Vegas, or traded.  But I doubt it.

We do need a fresh face drawing up our power play -  or maybe with Brock's success, and the return of Loui and the insertion of Goldy, the PP might look totally different next season, esp if Juolevi makes the cut. On paper, we have snipers (Boeser, Goldy, Boucher, Daniel, Loui, Granny and Bo). We have playmakers  (Henrik, Daniel, Goldy and Baer), and net front guys (Sutter, Bo). We have 2 mobile defensemen in Stecher and Hutton, and some  with big shots like Edler, Stecher and Tram. With that array, the feeble PP has to be laid at the door of the designer of the system. 

I agree with the accountability premise.  The vets have to be cut a little slack, but coach needs to call them out if their shortcomings and fails are as egregious as the newbies. 

And, please, let's have fewer man-games lost to injury 

Is OJ going to be ready?  Even if he is he isnt going to have an impact.  

Something that is key to this teams success next year is getting two players going that should have a positive impact, but haven't thus far. 

Gubranson and eriksson 

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Another thread got me thinking, what should be our main objectives/priorities next season? For the sake of(somewhat focused) discussion, let's agree on a few things:

- Willie will be shown the door

- We'll be healthier(perhaps around 200 man-games lost)

- We won't be PO-ready, yet in 2017~18(presumably finish bottom 25% of teams)

- Not signing any significant FA's to big bucks this summer(not over 3 mill, or so)

Here's a few steps I'd like to see...

1) More toughness inserted into lineup

2) Aim for more offensive contributions from the back end..(partly by trading for an offensive D, off-season)

3 ) More balance spread throughout lines. Try to roll all 4, more evenly

Obviously at 29th OA, there's a sh*tload of areas to improve upon..what would be your hopes for 3 areas they might first address?

Play making centerman to play with Boeser...

Charles Sarault who played with Boucher and Goldy (see link below) and got 86 Assists...possibly give him a PTO.

Play him with Boeser

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=116074

4 minutes ago, PlanB said:

1. Find, through draft or trade, a legit top 6 center. 

2. Find, through draft or trade, a legit PMD. 

Butterflys when thinking about winning next game...We could slide up four spots with Vegas in the mix.  But if we lose keep second and pretty good odds at picking first or second overall comparitavely which should get us our top six center to go with Horvat.  

we are a few seasons away, so the plan should be to prepare for the first year making the PO

1. give the kids fat minutes where they are put into positions to succeed

2. Keep trading away vets for picks.  Sedins, elder, Erickson if we can somehow

3. Hope we place well in the lotteries - we just fully started this rebuild this year... so we have 3 more years of lottery hopes.  

4. Develop the players - keep it up

Wd:  he fits right now for developing kids... but not when the team is ready to win - the power play plan/system has been a long term disaster.  But since we are a few years away no harm keeping him one more year.  It would mean we get another good lottery pick...

signing ufas:  if we do this instead of signing or playing our young guys... a lot of people will quit watching.

Keep the game entertaining.  I like what we have done lately, actually playing a player of some talent with the sedins, etc.   We haven't won but it has been fun to watch.  Funny how the end of the year when it doesn't matter is better hockey than when the team supposedly thought they had a chance.  Keep the end of the year for all of next year

think about a WD replacement... or get him some assistants who can help him with special teams and deployment.  Can WD learn?

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Butterflys when thinking about winning next game...We could slide up four spots with Vegas in the mix.  But if we lose keep second and pretty good odds at picking first or second overall comparitavely which should get us our top six center to go with Horvat.  

If ever there was a time to tank... this next one game is it!!! 

1. Fire Willie.

2. Have a strong draft (take the BPA with our 1st round pick).

3. Re-sign Bo to a long-term contract.

4. No long-term contracts for veteran UFAs.

5. Trade Edler (or make some other relataed move) to avoid us losing Sbisa for nothing via the expansion draft.

6. Fire Willie!!!

42 minutes ago, PlanB said:

1. Find, through draft or trade, a legit top 6 center. 

2. Find, through draft or trade, a legit PMD. 

Hischier 2017.

Dahlen 2018.

We'd be 80% done the 'not rebuilding' plan.  

Just need to scrounge up a top level checking center to free up BoHo from that task and a few odds/ends.

2020 we should be properly competitive. 

I'm pretty sure willy be gone. He's lost this fan base, they have had enough of him. 

1. Trade one of edler, tanev or sbisa for a pick and/or forward. Preferably a centre

2. Get tougher!!! Grit! Size! Truculence!!!!! This team is softer than the inside of a Twinkie 

3. Continue to get younger. That's all it is. It's a rebuild plain and simple. Acquire picks and start stocking up on prospects 

3 minutes ago, billabong said:

I'm pretty sure willy be gone. He's lost this fan base, they have had enough of him. 

1. Trade one of edler, tanev or sbisa for a pick and/or forward. Preferably a centre

2. Get tougher!!! Grit! Size! Truculence!!!!! This team is softer than the inside of a Twinkie 

3. Continue to get younger. That's all it is. It's a rebuild plain and simple. Acquire picks and start stocking up on prospects 

Please don't think Willie has lost me, and I am part of this fanbase, thanks.

Archived