The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Season's To-Do List? (3 Things)

Nuxfanabroad

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

I don't see WD going anywhere but behind our bench next season, but having said that, there are some in-house answers to your points ....

Re team toughness:  Guddy will be back, as will Dorsett (although how aggressive he will be after neck fusion, who knows) and I can see Labate winning a permanent 4th line spot. I hope we manage to retain Sbisa, who is one of our few defensemen who hits  (hello Tanev and Hutton).  I'm ambivalent about Edler, who does hit, but in my mind his bad (lethargy, screening own goalie,  pass choices, shot choices, passivity) outweigh the good (minute-muncher, hits, shot-blocking, mentoring of Stecher), so it wouldn't faze me if he were exposed to and claimed by Vegas, or traded.  But I doubt it.

We do need a fresh face drawing up our power play -  or maybe with Brock's success, and the return of Loui and the insertion of Goldy, the PP might look totally different next season, esp if Juolevi makes the cut. On paper, we have snipers (Boeser, Goldy, Boucher, Daniel, Loui, Granny and Bo). We have playmakers  (Henrik, Daniel, Goldy and Baer), and net front guys (Sutter, Bo). We have 2 mobile defensemen in Stecher and Hutton, and some  with big shots like Edler, Stecher and Tram. With that array, the feeble PP has to be laid at the door of the designer of the system. 

I agree with the accountability premise.  The vets have to be cut a little slack, but coach needs to call them out if their shortcomings and fails are as egregious as the newbies. 

And, please, let's have fewer man-games lost to injury 

I believe with all that said. we could possibly end up having an up year. perhaps pull a Calgary and make a playoff push before falling back down to reality. if Juolevi makes the team and Jake breaks in I feel good. I just don't see where Dorsett slides in if Jake is up here.  

mayve they will start him in the A unless  proves he belongs at the nhl.  I expect Juolevi will likely make it 80% is my guess he will. but those are hilary clinton odds so let's wait and see lol.

we are going to have a deep team. my biggest question is if we add a top 6 forward how will that affect our teams chemistry.   big changes a head. I'm expecting our 1st this year won't make the club since we are far deeper.  

unless it's maybe one of those top 2 picks or possibly even a Lilegren.  #excitingtimes ahead.  my biggest concern is replacing Willie and the team lose its compete. I don't see green letting that happen though. 

26 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

1. Fire Willie.

2. Have a strong draft (take the BPA with our 1st round pick).

3. Re-sign Bo to a long-term contract.

4. No long-term contracts for veteran UFAs.

5. Trade Edler (or make some other relataed move) to avoid us losing Sbisa for nothing via the expansion draft.

6. Fire Willie!!!

I'd rather re-sign Bo twice than fire Willie twice.

8 minutes ago, Iced Canucks said:

1. Accumulate more draft picks and prospects

2. Let the kids play and develop 

3. Hope for a top three pick in next years draft 

Same.

To OPs other point.  I don't think injuries will be any less of an issue. The training staff needs a review /overhaul. Leading the league this year in man game's lost and near the top last year as well in that stat isn't acceptable

I expect one of Tanev or Edler to be traded, would not surprise me if the Canucks then went after Alzner in FA (BC Boy, solid shutdown Dman not unlike Hamhuis ) 

Then we lock up our guys (Bo, Gudbranson) and hope that Brock, whoever we draft with our top 5 pick, JV and the rest of the kids come in and play well.

I, unlike most of this board, don't believe the Sedins are done yet, they are not 1st liners anymore but I think they can bounce back next year and hopefully with some of the youth taking some of the scoring burden off they team they wont be faced with the pressure of producing as much as we have needed them to in the past

Everyone seems to want to play the kids which I agree with to an extent but we must not forget the importance of having Vets to help the team (not just on the ice but the intangible stuff off the ice as well). Balance is key but in short, I expect a pretty quiet offseason 

I can appreciate the support for the Sedins staying and playing as second liners as a nice sentiment. However if the twins are not receiving a vast majority of offensive zone starts they will be exposed, imo, on the defensive side of the game.

1) Fire Willie, get a new coach

2) Resign Horvat, Gudbranson, and Tryamkin.

3) Draft  Hischier if we get #1, unless we get #2 then and Hischier is taken then take Nolan.

4) Trade Edler for whatever assets we can get.

5) Horvat gets #1 line next season

6) Split the Sedins, unless they come back with a vengeance

7) Give Virtanen, Subban, and Joulevi NHL time

8) End up in the bottom 3 ideally.

Optional:

Resign miller with no NTC and trade him later.

2 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

3) Draft  Hischier if we get #1, unless we get #2 then and Hischier is taken then take Nolan.

Optional:

This pretty much. 

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

This pretty much. 

4 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Optional:

Also resign Boucher, would like to see more of him.

1) Free Willie.

2) Hopefully draft one of Hischier, Patrick, Vilardi or Mittelstadt. If not one of them, then Liljegren.

3) Move one of Edler/Tanev/Hutton...Preferably Edler....in some sort of a package for a young winger with some grit.

4) Sign no free agents.

5) Suck for another year and draft a franchise player in 2018, either a top line center or top pairing Dman, depending on what we did at least years draft,

6) Start to not suck again by 2018-2019 season.

40 minutes ago, naslundfan921 said:

Everyone seems to want to play the kids which I agree with to an extent but we must not forget the importance of having Vets to help the team (not just on the ice but the intangible stuff off the ice as well). Balance is key but in short, I expect a pretty quiet offseason 

This.

Don't expect guys like JV to lead physically. Most tough guys are scary because they've seen it all and they play with confidence having stared down and thrown down with the best of the best. A player like Peluso  needs stop be signed.

I also want to give Crammer another shot next year. In him I saw glimpses of a skilled player with an edge who likes to finish his checks. We have got to stop passing up on finishing players along the wall. This is a team/identity thing that needs to be addressed.

Bottom line is this team needs to get tougher, especially in the bottom six. As of right now, Sbisa is our toughest player and that's just not fair to ask of the guy. He needs support.

I see skill blooming on this team. Brock looks great with the twins on the power play and Hank and Dank are still premiere players once the puck is on their tape. They have more to give and could make us scary if we somehow managed a way to make them our secondary scoring.

Boucher is finding the net and getting lots of good shots off. Reminds me of Patrick Eaves if he could toughen up a bit.

LE is better than what we saw this year plain and simple. Like JPat said, just get our expectations in check and he's a vet that should score 20 for us.

Pray for Hischier!

OK Fans,

- Linden and Willie need to go!   Yes, Linden is a great guy ..... yada, yada but come on he is not the right guy for the job 

- Willie...... well have no faith in this guy on how to play the right players atb the appropriate time etc.

Edler, oh my god this guy shows NO PASSION,or interest in the game what so ever!! Soft, and coughs up the puck so much he should be taking cough syrup before every game! 

Sedins, ....thanks boys, but your time is up!

Erikkson...... terrible, terrible acquisition and somebody's head should roll for that!!

Miller...... sorry but over rated! Prefer Bachman!

Canucks need some bite, passion  and grit of which will never happen with Linden, Benning, and Willie at the helm.

I loved Marc Crawford as a player even though he had limited scoring skills, this guy had grit, passion, heart and the desire to do what ever it takes to win and that is what is missing from the management and alot of the European players on this Canucks team!

Replace Linden, Benning, and Willie please and bring in Marc Crawford as the new head coach.

53 minutes ago, naslundfan921 said:

I expect one of Tanev or Edler to be traded, would not surprise me if the Canucks then went after Alzner in FA (BC Boy, solid shutdown Dman not unlike Hamhuis ) 

Then we lock up our guys (Bo, Gudbranson) and hope that Brock, whoever we draft with our top 5 pick, JV and the rest of the kids come in and play well.

I, unlike most of this board, don't believe the Sedins are done yet, they are not 1st liners anymore but I think they can bounce back next year and hopefully with some of the youth taking some of the scoring burden off they team they wont be faced with the pressure of producing as much as we have needed them to in the past

Can you imagine Alzner and Guddy on the same team? The question about Alzner's availability came up when discussions about CAP space came up. The Capitals have a problem and have to make choices. It appeared Orlov was their choice. This becomes a bigger problem if they win the CUP. Alzmer is not much of a point producer and actually does not take many penalties. I honestly do not see him play much but he looks like a solid shutdown d-man. Switching Edler out for him would be a god send. Lost offense but I am assuming Stecher, Hutton and Tryamkin can replace that. Alzner is 28 which is a better fit.   

Coaching is the big issue imo. I know the players, well some of them anyway, seem to like Willie, but he's had an opportunity to innovate some things during the last 10 games and has done very little on that front. If there were ever a time to try splitting up the twins it was now, or Tryamkin on the PP, etc. If you can't innovate now.... I just don't see Willie changing his approach whatsoever going forward. And some fans may be just fine with that for opposing reasons, some thinking we'll tank again for a better draft and some because they think WD is doing a good job. 

We may see some smaller free agent signings, like a backup for Marky or a veteran D for some depth but I wouldn't expect much on that front. 

Jim may have some trades up his sleeve, we'll see. 

1 hour ago, naslundfan921 said:

I agree with all but ur last sentence.  Jim has stated he's after a top 6 forward. so a quiet off season would be disappointing. :/

21 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I agree with all but ur last sentence.  Jim has stated he's after a top 6 forward. so a quiet off season would be disappointing. :/

probably via trade I would think - pretty sure all of Tanev, Sbisa and Edler are being shopped or will be soon - there's no cap space for a big free agent once all the RFAs are locked up 

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

probably via trade I would think - pretty sure all of Tanev, Sbisa and Edler are being shopped or will be soon - there's no cap space for a big free agent once all the RFAs are locked up 

How in the heck can we be this crappy, while still spending to the Cap ceiling?

Archived