The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Willie Desjardins

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

Gallant...give him a 5 year deal and lay the foundation for the re-build.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Will wait to hear the rationale from management, but a questionable move IMO.

The one benefit for now -- it will finally shut up the incessant moaning, groaning, and whinging of the reactionary element of this fanbase.

Rationale for moving this quickly might be the fact that Tallon is back in the big chair in FL and he might want Gallant back. Lindenning might be courting Gallant as we speak.

4 minutes ago, WiseOne said:

People seem so convinced this is the right move.  I hope Benning and Linden thought long and hard about this.  Coach is always an easy scapegoat.

They definitely did, as when a GM and president fire a coach, the crosshairs move to them next.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

*for about 1 day :lol:

1 minute ago, Brad Marchand said:

No it won't, people are just going to shift blame towards management. That's how it works.

Well yeah, I meant that it would stop the insane WillieHate.  There will always be hate for someone in management, along with requisite whipping-boy players.

Now for the prediction -- how long until we start hearing "Fire this clown, bring back Willie"?  I'll give it until mid-December next season.

2 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

That was our plan with Torts.

I think you need to find the right guy and stick with him. If you keep switching coaches on young players you get a 10 year rebuild, ala, the Edmonton Oilers. 

I think this team needs two years to rebuild, so that's two years of the contract done before they've even sniffed the playoffs. Then from there, it's a three year deal where the coach actually has a team to work with. 

Just now, FijianCanuck said:

Benning and linden lose their safety net. Travis green next hc of canucks?

I'm not sure they can bring in another AHL coach right now, especially one with a style similar to Willie. 

That said, I don't think a dinosaur like Hitchcock is a good idea either. 

Archived