The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?  

768 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

• Gerrard Gallant (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - LAS VEGAS)
    • Travis Green
    • Ken Hitchcock (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - DALLAS)
    • Marc Crawford
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Doug Jarvis
    • Kevin Dineen
    • Paul MacLean
    • Bob Hartley
    • Other (please explain below)
    • Patrick Roy (added post poll creation)
    • Ralph Krueger (added post poll creation)
    • Michel Therrien (added post poll creation)
    • Darryl Sutter (added post poll creation)
    • Dave Lowry (added post poll creation)
    • Dallas Eakins (added post poll creation)
    • Kirk Muller (added post poll creation)
    • Sheldon Keefe (added post poll creation)
    • Brad Larsen (added post poll creation)
    • Todd Reirden (added post poll creation)

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

Relax we hold his rights, a team has to get our permission to speak with Green. We don't need a knee jerk reaction just because thr out of the playoffs.

Isn't his contract over now? Regardless he has an "out" clause in it if he is still under contract.

20 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

He was the coach of the Oilers when Mac T fired him to save his job, was given a raw deal in Edmonton but coached team Europe to the World Cup finals. He's a good coach and very good at coaching young players. I still want crow but would be ok with Krueger 

I forgot he coached team Europe last year. After doing some homework on Ralph Krueger he wouldn't be such a bad hire. Seems like a very bright guy.

1 minute ago, captainhorvat said:

I wonder if Quenville becomes available if they end up getting swept...ownership would go after him hard if let go.

He'd probably get a Babcock-like contract, with his pedigree. 

22 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

He was the coach of the Oilers when Mac T fired him to save his job, was given a raw deal in Edmonton but coached team Europe to the World Cup finals. He's a good coach and very good at coaching young players. I still want crow but would be ok with Krueger 

I'd actually be more than OK with Krueger. If his meshed well with Linden and Benning, in terms of personalities and club direction, he'd be a great addition to the team.

He's been on my shortlist for a while. Just didn't think he'd be interested in the job here. And that remains to be seen. But I'm happy the Canucks are considering him.

Beyond his Edmonton experience (for which most Oilers fans agree he was scapegoated and fired unfairly), and his success taking a ragtag group of players, with very low expectations, all the way to the World Cup final, he's been very successful internationally. He oversaw what was arguably the greatest sustained period of success for the Swiss national team in the modern era. Before that, he guided Austrian side VEU Feldkirk through  five years of dominance.

He's currently the chairman of Southampton FC in the Premier League and largely credited with turning that organization around. So taking a coaching job in the NHL would actually be a "step down" for him, but it would return him to his first love.

I'd encourage anyone unfamiliar with Krueger to read up on his bio. Even just his Wiki page. He's a highly impressive individual and any team would be lucky to have him IMO.

His strengths are communication, motivation, teambuilding, and leadership. He understands both the coaching and management side of the sports. He's also worked as a scout and an advisor/consultant. He's basically a guy that could step into any coaching or management role and likely excel.

https://www.wch2016.com/news/team-europe-coach-has-seemingly-done-it-all/c-281751508

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2933630/Southampton-chairman-Ralph-Krueger-opens-Saints-miracle-turnaround.html

https://www.thestar.com/sports/breakaway_blog/2016/09/hockey-soccer-team-europe-coach-ralph-krueger-is-one-man-in-two-sports.html

Ralph Krueger is an interesting choice. A Very intelligent person from a hockey standpoint, as well as a business standpoint. It would take a lot of money to get him to leave the Saints. He is known for being a great communicator, evaluator, and developer of talent, and gets the most out of his players. He got kinda screwed in EDM, had a good season with a BAD hockey team. I would not be opposed to it in the slightest.

28 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Please no Krueger or Eakins , they were both awful with the Oilers so why we we want them?

no Green either, would be Willie 2.0 

bring in some experience please 

Crow would be great 

krueger was the best pre mcdavid coach the oliers had with the current core. He is an awesome coach. Look at the wins and losses around 2012 2013 to compare.

He was almost at .500. If u add the points pace to 82 games , they would have finished with 87. Pretty friggin good considering the following years were in the 60's. Doesn't take a genius to connect the dots.  He had them finish the highest in their division in almost a decade. 

The years surrounding his season???? Big gap man. He had far better results then eakins. Not even close. 

As go as far as to say he would be a perfect style of coach for where this team is at. 

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I'd actually be more than OK with Krueger. If his meshed well with Linden and Benning, in terms of personalities and club direction, he'd be a great addition to the team.

He's been on my shortlist for a while. Just didn't think he'd be interested in the job here. And that remains to be seen. But I'm happy the Canucks are considering him.

Beyond his Edmonton experience (for which most Oilers fans agree he was scapegoated and fired unfairly), and his success taking a ragtag group of players, with very low expectations, all the way to the World Cup final, he's been very successful internationally. He oversaw what was arguably the greatest sustained period of success for the Swiss national team in the modern era. Before that, he guided Austrian side VEU Feldkirk through  five years of dominance.

He's currently the chairman of Southampton FC in the Premier League and largely credited with turning that organization around. So taking a coaching job in the NHL would actually be a "step down" for him, but it would return him to his first love.

I'd encourage anyone unfamiliar with Krueger to read up on his bio. Even just his Wiki page. He's a highly impressive individual and any team would be lucky to have him IMO.

His strengths are communication, motivation, teambuilding, and leadership. He understands both the coaching and management side of the sports. He's also worked as a scout and an advisor/consultant. He's basically a guy that could step into any coaching or management role and likely excel.

https://www.wch2016.com/news/team-europe-coach-has-seemingly-done-it-all/c-281751508

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2933630/Southampton-chairman-Ralph-Krueger-opens-Saints-miracle-turnaround.html

https://www.thestar.com/sports/breakaway_blog/2016/09/hockey-soccer-team-europe-coach-ralph-krueger-is-one-man-in-two-sports.html

100 % agree . I would be stoked to get this guy. Team moral is probably very low and , aside from his great coaching , he is also a motivator. Would be a great choice. 

1 hour ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Didn't he coached Oilers to their best seasonal standings before the McDavid era? 

Archived