The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?  

768 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

• Gerrard Gallant (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - LAS VEGAS)
    • Travis Green
    • Ken Hitchcock (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - DALLAS)
    • Marc Crawford
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Doug Jarvis
    • Kevin Dineen
    • Paul MacLean
    • Bob Hartley
    • Other (please explain below)
    • Patrick Roy (added post poll creation)
    • Ralph Krueger (added post poll creation)
    • Michel Therrien (added post poll creation)
    • Darryl Sutter (added post poll creation)
    • Dave Lowry (added post poll creation)
    • Dallas Eakins (added post poll creation)
    • Kirk Muller (added post poll creation)
    • Sheldon Keefe (added post poll creation)
    • Brad Larsen (added post poll creation)
    • Todd Reirden (added post poll creation)

This poll is closed to new votes

30 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

100 % bro. I would be stoked to get this guy. Team moral is probably very low and , aside from his great coaching , he is also a motivator. Would be a great choice. 

Definitely. He just brings so much to the table. Honestly, he'd be a candidate for me whether we were replacing the coach, GM, or team president. I'd be pretty comfortable handing him he reins for any position with a sports franchise.

Along those lines, it's nice to see Linden and Benning (assuming rumours are true) opening the search up like this. They're basically considering hiring a guy who could be a legitimate choice to replace either of them. Not that I'd expect Krueger to be looking at the coaching job as a stepping stone to later leapfrog Linden/Benning and take over. Just that he's a highly accomplished guy, smart as they come, and has a wealth of experience at both the coaching and management side.

I've talked about "brain trust" hirings in the past (most recently when I advocated for hiring Hitchcock as an advisor). Krueger would be a big time "brain trust" hire for this organization.

He's the guy that did the advanced scouting for team Canada in 2014, watching every team in the lead up to the Olympics, breaking things down, helping design Canada's roster, and making sure our nation was the best prepared team at the tournament and ready to defend the gold medal on European ice.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sochi/krueger-hopes-his-work-makes-team-canada-best-prepared-country-at-olympics-1.1678609

He's also a guy who's written a best selling book on life skills, is a respected member of global political and economic organizations and thinktanks, does corporate leadership training, speaking tours, et cetera, et cetera. His CV speaks for itself.

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely. He just brings so much to the table. Honestly, he'd be a candidate for me whether we were replacing the coach, GM, or team president. I'd be pretty comfortable handing him he reins for any position with a sports franchise.

Along those lines, it's nice to see Linden and Benning (assuming rumours are true) opening the search up like this. They're basically considering hiring a guy who could be a legitimate choice to replace either of them. Not that I'd expect Krueger to be looking at the coaching job as a stepping stone to later leapfrog Linden/Benning and take over. Just that he's a highly accomplished guy, smart as they come, and has a wealth of experience at both the coaching and management side.

I've talked about "brain trust" hirings in the past (most recently when I advocated for hiring Hitchcock as an advisor). Krueger would be a big time "brain trust" hire for this organization.

He's the guy that did the advanced scouting for team Canada in 2014, watching every team in the lead up to the Olympics, breaking things down, helping design Canada's roster, and making sure our nation was the best prepared team at the tournament and ready to defend the gold medal on European ice.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sochi/krueger-hopes-his-work-makes-team-canada-best-prepared-country-at-olympics-1.1678609

He's also a guy who's written a best selling book on life skills, is a respected member of global political and economic organizations and thinktanks, does corporate leadership training, speaking tours, et cetera, et cetera. His CV speaks for itself.

Bang on. The highlighted summed up my thoughts nicely. Good post. 

Sekeres makes some decent points regarding the Krueger rumours:

All good points and many of the reasons why, much as I wanted him for the job, I hadn't considered Krueger a real option. At least not until a source like Friedman said the Canucks were looking at him.

If Krueger is willing to take the head coaching gig, it's because his love for hockey is outweighing his career aspirations. Otherwise I don't see him leaving his current job (where is basically acts as the de facto "owner" of a Premier League side).

Maybe he relishes the challenge of coming in while the franchise is at a low point, building up the team, and hopefully taking it all the way to the Stanley Cup?

And maybe the Canucks can get creative with the job offer. Some dual role with a title both on the coaching and management side perhaps? 

20 hours ago, alfstonker said:

How long have you watched hockey? You actually think a kid scoring a breakaway goal entitles him to ANYTHING? No wonder WD got canned with people like you whispering BS like this in "not so clever" Trevor's ear. 

Whatever champ. I'll take my hockey knowledge, experience and sources any day of the week. I've coached professional athletes have you?

53 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

And maybe the Canucks can get creative with the job offer. Some dual role with a title both on the coaching and management side perhaps? 

I think that's the only way it would make sense. For all parties involved. Management would benefit from his experiences as well. Think that would be at least required from Krueger perspective as well. 

5 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

100% but we would probably lose the bid to LA.

Wasn't LA prepping John Stevens to be the Kings coach after Sutter? 

I would think LA wouldn't blindside Stevens just to get Quenneville. But if so maybe Steves can be Vancouver's next coach. 

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Sekeres makes some decent points regarding the Krueger rumours:

All good points and many of the reasons why, much as I wanted him for the job, I hadn't considered Krueger a real option. At least not until a source like Friedman said the Canucks were looking at him.

If Krueger is willing to take the head coaching gig, it's because his love for hockey is outweighing his career aspirations. Otherwise I don't see him leaving his current job (where is basically acts as the de facto "owner" of a Premier League side).

Maybe he relishes the challenge of coming in while the franchise is at a low point, building up the team, and hopefully taking it all the way to the Stanley Cup?

I find it odd that Krueger would leave a Premier League club that he runs to coach an NHL team, unless as you say there might be a high level position in management. Running a Premier League team is a pretty lucrative gig where he is the big boss. Of course it's all a rumor and speculation, it just seems odd to me.

17 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I don't think the lack of wins or the end result of the season were the reasons he got fired. Maybe partially due to impatient ownership but it seems to not fit as reasoning.

The problem with Desjardins was that some could not "earn it" in his eyes no matter what they did. Others didn't need to earn it at all.

His lineup decisions were largely similar after the public "clarification" by Benning that Desjardins would be on board with giving the kids bigger opportunity to see what they were working with. Desjardins couldn't adjust and it cost him his job.

I don't agree. 

There is a coaching process to earning ice time. With some it is longer than with others and by the way, scoring has nothing to do with it. This happens with every coach and in every team. AV  had it with CoHo and I remember the same wingeing outcries on here every day over his deployment and ice time. Now of course these people know better.

No one was ever abandoned by WD as long as they took on the message and even when they didn't (Kassian) he went to extraordinary lengths to try to re-focus him.

People like you are saying it seems, that it is ok for your "favourites" to ignore the message and get a free pass. The same people who whined about Baertschi's treatment at the beginning, and look at the player he is now. (and much of it he himself credits WD for.)

It was not and never was a case of WD not adjusting, it was a case of doing it the right way. He had proof that it worked with every other rookie who was ready to come into the NHL and in time (unless Goldy was stupid and I don't think he is) it would have worked with him. Boucher too probably.

Some players just get it earlier and realise the coach wants only the best for them and to ensure they have a long NHL career. Others are more self entitled (Jake) and think they know best, an attitude probably rooted in pre NHL dominance due to their physical advantages.

45 minutes ago, ice orca said:

I find it odd that Krueger would leave a Premier League club that he runs to coach an NHL team, unless as you say there might be a high level position in management. Running a Premier League team is a pretty lucrative gig where he is the big boss. Of course it's all a rumor and speculation, it just seems odd to me.

One issue to consider is that Saints are on the lower tier in terms of the value of the team and its prestige relative to the top dogs like Man United and Arsenal (although they've doubled in value under Krueger and are possibly the fastest growing brand in the EPL).

But even still, you're correct that being the chairman of a EPL side (which is the absolute top boss and a higher position relative to what Linden has in Vancouver) is several steps higher than that of an NHL coach. 

Not sure what Krueger gets paid, but Southampton has been fairly generous in spending over recent years, and I'd expect he's making more money now than nearly any NHL coach, GM, or president.

Plus he's in absolute control of his team right now. Basically the owner has given him authority to act on her behalf in nearly every aspect of the club's operation, from the game on the pitch to the economic responsibilities of the entire business. 

So it's hard to imagine Krueger leaving all that behind just to coach the Vancouver Canucks (and all the pros and cons that position currently entails).

But he does love hockey. And moreso than footy. And maybe you can't place a value on that.

I just feel like he's worth enough for the Canucks to start getting creative with job titles and responsibilities. And also throwing a nice amount of money at him. He's a great coach. And he's also top notch sports executive.

If we can find a way to get him into the organization, I think he makes this team better. 

It'll be interesting to see if this rumour goes anywhere. And if Krueger decides he's really interested in an NHL return, I hope Linden and Benning find a way to create an opportunity that is attractive enough to bring him over as a long term addition to our "brain trust."

I think he's one of the best hockey people not currently employed in the NHL. And he's a world class sports executive who can help any NHL management team. Adding him would be a major coup for the Canucks and could potentially improve this franchise on a variety of levels.

But first he'd need to want to come here. And that much has yet to be determined.

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

One issue to consider is that Saints are on the lower tier in terms of the value of the team and its prestige relative to the top dogs like Man United and Arsenal (although they've doubled in value under Krueger and are possibly the fastest growing brand in the EPL).

But even still, you're correct that being the chairman of a EPL side (which is the absolute top boss and a higher position relative to what Linden has in Vancouver) is several steps higher than that of an NHL coach. 

Not sure what Krueger gets paid, but Southampton has been fairly generous in spending over recent years, and I'd expect he's making more money now than nearly any NHL coach, GM, or president.

Plus he's in absolute control of his team right now. Basically the owner has given him authority to act on her behalf in nearly every aspect of the club's operation, from the game on the pitch to the economic responsibilities of the entire business. 

So it's hard to imagine Krueger leaving all that behind just to coach the Vancouver Canucks (and all the pros and cons that position currently entails).

But he does love hockey. And moreso than footy. And maybe you can't place a value on that.

I just feel like he's worth enough for the Canucks to start getting creative with job titles and responsibilities. And also throwing a nice amount of money at him. He's a great coach. And he's also top notch sports executive.

If we can find a way to get him into the organization, I think he makes this team better. 

It'll be interesting to see if this rumour goes anywhere. And if Krueger decides he's really interested in an NHL return, I hope Linden and Benning find a way to create an opportunity that is attractive enough to bring him over as a long term addition to our "brain trust."

I think he's one of the best hockey people not currently employed in the NHL. And he's a world class sports executive who can help any NHL management team. Adding him would be a major coup for the Canucks and could potentially improve this franchise on a variety of levels.

But first he'd need to want to come here. And that much has yet to be determined.

Yeah that pretty well sums it up, maybe someone higher on the food chain than Linden/Benning wants Krueger.

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I don't agree. 

There is a coaching process to earning ice time. With some it is longer than with others and by the way, scoring has nothing to do with it. This happens with every coach and in every team. AV  had it with CoHo and I remember the same wingeing outcries on here every day over his deployment and ice time. Now of course these people know better.

No one was ever abandoned by WD as long as they took on the message and even when they didn't (Kassian) he went to extraordinary lengths to try to re-focus him.

People like you are saying it seems, that it is ok for your "favourites" to ignore the message and get a free pass. The same people who whined about Baertschi's treatment at the beginning, and look at the player he is now. (and much of it he himself credits WD for.)

It was not and never was a case of WD not adjusting, it was a case of doing it the right way. He had proof that it worked with every other rookie who was ready to come into the NHL and in time (unless Goldy was stupid and I don't think he is) it would have worked with him. Boucher too probably.

Some players just get it earlier and realise the coach wants only the best for them and to ensure they have a long NHL career. Others are more self entitled (Jake) and think they know best, an attitude probably rooted in pre NHL dominance due to their physical advantages.

This is a nice sound byte but unfortunately it's not reality. 

You cant give full credit to Desjardins when his "methods" work on a player but inoculate him from any blame when they don't by placing it completely on the player.

Desjardins has certainly left many players behind. Those who don't want to play like AHL plugs. 

By the way, it's hard to win games without scoring goals. If you have players who can do that, your job as a coach is to also develop them there too. Not every player needs to be a defensive dynamo to be effective at the NHL level. The days of needing to completely break a player's confidence to get them to conform in order to build them back up should be left in the past where it belongs. With Desjardins education you would think he could have figured that out. But he couldn't and as a result he got fired.

On 2017-04-11 at 7:47 PM, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

(Update) Thanks to @StealthNuck we have figured out a way to allow you to re-vote now that there are new coaching options available. Just go to page 1 where the poll is and click on "Show Voting Options". This will allow you to vote again for your new desired option. 

For those who wish to change their vote. 

11 hours ago, cuporbust said:

krueger was the best pre mcdavid coach the oliers had with the current core. He is an awesome coach. Look at the wins and losses around 2012 2013 to compare.

He was almost at .500. If u add the points pace to 82 games , they would have finished with 87. Pretty friggin good considering the following years were in the 60's. Doesn't take a genius to connect the dots.  He had them finish the highest in their division in almost a decade. 

The years surrounding his season???? Big gap man. He had far better results then eakins. Not even close. 

As go as far as to say he would be a perfect style of coach for where this team is at. 

Fair points 

I think the Canucks are looking at him as an assistant though 

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Fair points 

I think the Canucks are looking at him as an assistant though 

I think there is no incentive for Krueger to leave where he is at to take an assistant role in Van.

If you need to hire a guy like Krueger to work under a guy like Green (as an example) you should probably just hire Krueger to be the head coach to begin with.

Archived