The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?  

768 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

• Gerrard Gallant (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - LAS VEGAS)
    • Travis Green
    • Ken Hitchcock (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - DALLAS)
    • Marc Crawford
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Doug Jarvis
    • Kevin Dineen
    • Paul MacLean
    • Bob Hartley
    • Other (please explain below)
    • Patrick Roy (added post poll creation)
    • Ralph Krueger (added post poll creation)
    • Michel Therrien (added post poll creation)
    • Darryl Sutter (added post poll creation)
    • Dave Lowry (added post poll creation)
    • Dallas Eakins (added post poll creation)
    • Kirk Muller (added post poll creation)
    • Sheldon Keefe (added post poll creation)
    • Brad Larsen (added post poll creation)
    • Todd Reirden (added post poll creation)

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If he doesn't get a head coaching gig in the NHL he should take an assistant coach job to get some tangible NHL coaching experience on his resume. Taking his ball and going home only works if there is actual

NHL interest in him as a head coach.

Do we know for sure that TG is not going to coach Utica (or another AHL team) next season?  Did TG say he's done there?

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Vancouvercwould probably be the least attractive option currently to a top coach. Unless he likes bi-polar fans, interfering ownership, mind-numbingly idiotic media, and a management group who still believes Edler and the Sedins are the best options to build strategy around. 

It would take a boatload of cash and term to get a guy like Q to come here. 

You know that's completely false.

Yet Babcock went right into the Toronto tire fire... or was that "nuttin' but the money"?  Coaches, like many, enjoy opportunities not simply tailor-made for success that anyone could handle but for the challenge and subsequent sense of accomplishment.

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely. He just brings so much to the table. Honestly, he'd be a candidate for me whether we were replacing the coach, GM, or team president. I'd be pretty comfortable handing him he reins for any position with a sports franchise.

Along those lines, it's nice to see Linden and Benning (assuming rumours are true) opening the search up like this. They're basically considering hiring a guy who could be a legitimate choice to replace either of them. Not that I'd expect Krueger to be looking at the coaching job as a stepping stone to later leapfrog Linden/Benning and take over. Just that he's a highly accomplished guy, smart as they come, and has a wealth of experience at both the coaching and management side.

I've talked about "brain trust" hirings in the past (most recently when I advocated for hiring Hitchcock as an advisor). Krueger would be a big time "brain trust" hire for this organization.

He's the guy that did the advanced scouting for team Canada in 2014, watching every team in the lead up to the Olympics, breaking things down, helping design Canada's roster, and making sure our nation was the best prepared team at the tournament and ready to defend the gold medal on European ice.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sochi/krueger-hopes-his-work-makes-team-canada-best-prepared-country-at-olympics-1.1678609

He's also a guy who's written a best selling book on life skills, is a respected member of global political and economic organizations and thinktanks, does corporate leadership training, speaking tours, et cetera, et cetera. His CV speaks for itself.

"I've talked about "brain trust" hirings in the past (most recently when I advocated for hiring Hitchcock as an advisor). Krueger would be a big time "brain trust" hire for this organization."

I 100% agree with you & I have posted this a few times as well. Trevor & Jim could benefit greatly in my eyes if they hire someone like this as a coach or even as part of the Management group.

19 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

You know that's completely false.

Yet Babcock went right into the Toronto tire fire... or was that "nuttin' but the money"?  Coaches, like many, enjoy opportunities not simply tailor-made for success that anyone could handle but for the challenge and subsequent sense of accomplishment.

If it was "completely false" all three would already be traded or at the very least not still be the on ice go-to guys. Here's hoping the next coach has the balls to use all three as support players to minimize their weaknesses.

14 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Given they have not made it official with Green I am starting to think he is not the guy they are chasing 

maybe waiting for Ottawa to be eliminated to make it official? 

I don't know how much I would read into the timing. Even if Green is their guy they are wise to at least give the appearance of a comprehensive search. 

If they are smart they will wait until after the first round in case there is a surprise coach fallout. There's a risk there too though if they know who their guy is and there is any competing interest.

6 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is a nice sound byte but unfortunately it's not reality. 

You cant give full credit to Desjardins when his "methods" work on a player but inoculate him from any blame when they don't by placing it completely on the player.

Desjardins has certainly left many players behind. Those who don't want to play like AHL plugs. 

By the way, it's hard to win games without scoring goals. If you have players who can do that, your job as a coach is to also develop them there too. Not every player needs to be a defensive dynamo to be effective at the NHL level. The days of needing to completely break a player's confidence to get them to conform in order to build them back up should be left in the past where it belongs. With Desjardins education you would think he could have figured that out. But he couldn't and as a result he got fired.

I do agree a coach should not be insulated from blame when he could not get through to a player.  

But I dont agree a Goldobin should be allowed to be a goal leach, void of effect in other area's of the game.  Not that he is going to, in either instance? Or even that he was not telling Willie that he would...  But he hasnt put in the work yet? and you can pick that off watching him. And he does not have a mature game that helps in all areas, also noticed by Conacher in Utica. After having him for just a cpl games he commented that he was going to have to improve to be a NHL forward. Its not just Willie with Goldobin.  

And here are some of my notes;

But some guys just "get it." Horvat has been credited with that.  McAvoy or Carlo in Boston?  WD in his exit interview mentioned he could trust Boeser, in a similar way to how he trusted Horvat almost immediately.  Because he had a "maturity." A guy like Goldobin may even want to be a good defensive player?  However, these mature players like Boeser and Horvat had already spent years in the gym know how bad they wanted it. Horvat's weakness was skating, already looked like a bull athlete, but went to work with a power skating coach who fixed his stride. He's now among the fastest Canucks?  Did not wait till a coach ragged on him for having twiggy pipes, like Shinkaruk.  Boeser arrives, and he's being given the same credit the moment he gets here? He already back checks, gravitates to open zones, skates hard into puck battles. Horvat worked on face-off's, and killing penalties when he was 16 to round out his game...

A guy like Goldobin has some great skills, but has waited till age 21 to start learning these finer details?

He's only 6 months younger than Horvat, and look at the difference that maturity makes!

6 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I do agree a coach should not be insulated from blame when he could not get through to a player.  

But I dont agree a Goldobin should be allowed to be a goal leach, void of effect in other area's of the game.  Not that he is going to, in either instance? Or even that he was not telling Willie that he would...  But he hasnt put in the work yet? and you can pick that off watching him. And he does not have a mature game that helps in all areas, also noticed by Conacher in Utica. After having him for just a cpl games he commented that he was going to have to improve to be a NHL forward. Its not just Willie with Goldobin.  

And here are some of my notes;

But some guys just "get it." Horvat has been credited with that.  McAvoy or Carlo in Boston?  WD in his exit interview mentioned he could trust Boeser, in a similar way to how he trusted Horvat almost immediately.  Because he had a "maturity." A guy like Goldobin may even want to be a good defensive player?  However, these mature players like Boeser and Horvat had already spent years in the gym know how bad they wanted it. Horvat's weakness was skating, already looked like a bull athlete, but went to work with a power skating coach who fixed his stride. He's now among the fastest Canucks?  Did not wait till a coach ragged on him for having twiggy pipes, like Shinkaruk.  Boeser arrives, and he's being given the same credit the moment he gets here? He already back checks, gravitates to open zones, skates hard into puck battles. Horvat worked on face-off's, and killing penalties when he was 16 to round out his game...

A guy like Goldobin has some great skills, but has waited till age 21 to start learning these finer details?

He's only 6 months younger than Horvat, and look at the difference that maturity makes!

These are fair points. I think people need to look at the context a bit though from managements perspective.

Our team couldn't find a goal let alone an exciting one with a spotlight and an army of ground search personnel. 

Benning trades the vet player seen by many as the best one to keep as a mentor for a young, raw offensive talent.

Benning didn't seem to want anything this year other than to put Goldobin in and see just what he had there. The added upside was that he might give the weary fan base a reason to get excited about the potential of some dynamic offense. If he didn't score Benning had the built in blame that he is still young and raw while still allowing for fans hope to shine through.

I think making Goldobin a morecwell rounded player is absolutely the end game and should be. This year though I don't think that ranked as important as getting the kid in and building some confidence.

The Goldobin situation really feels like the straw that broke the camels back for Willie. Fair? Probably not. But reality most likely. 

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

These are fair points. I think people need to look at the context a bit though from managements perspective.

Our team couldn't find a goal let alone an exciting one with a spotlight and an army of ground search personnel. 

Benning trades the vet player seen by many as the best one to keep as a mentor for a young, raw offensive talent.

Benning didn't seem to want anything this year other than to put Goldobin in and see just what he had there. The added upside was that he might give the weary fan base a reason to get excited about the potential of some dynamic offense. If he didn't score Benning had the built in blame that he is still young and raw while still allowing for fans hope to shine through.

I think making Goldobin a morecwell rounded player is absolutely the end game and should be. This year though I don't think that ranked as important as getting the kid in and building some confidence.

The Goldobin situation really feels like the straw that broke the camels back for Willie. Fair? Probably not. But reality most likely. 

Some people seem to forget that the ultimately the Canucks are in the entertainment business.  While its one thing to watch a boring but successful winning team, its quite another to have to watch a boring losing team.  We were out of the playoffs ages ago.  You incorporate some skill and youth at the end of the season, Fans expect to see it.

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I remember so many on here mocking the Oilers for their best ex-oiler or loyalty approach for several years for any available position.

The Canucks are just as stuck on loyalty hires as the Oilers ever were.

What utter nonsense though.

Wadr, you have no idea what they are "stuck" on - neither in terms of who or why they will hire a particular person.

And who is to say that Green isn't the best candidate available in any event?  People here know next to nothing about him or the other candidates for that matter - most analyses of the candidates stops at a couple thoughts on the matter - and most people here couldn't name a single system this team employed or the preferences of other candidates.  Wadr, I trust Benning's judgement on the matter far more than any armchair here - and pretending to know what they're going to base a decision on - before it's made - is basically just straw.

Btw, that idiot Dale Tallon evidently considers Green a serious candidate - with no 'loyalty' involved - simple experience of having built a Stanley Cup Champion.  Something to consider before writing off Green or reducing him to a mere 'loyalty hire'.

Archived