The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?  

768 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

• Gerrard Gallant (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - LAS VEGAS)
    • Travis Green
    • Ken Hitchcock (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - DALLAS)
    • Marc Crawford
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Doug Jarvis
    • Kevin Dineen
    • Paul MacLean
    • Bob Hartley
    • Other (please explain below)
    • Patrick Roy (added post poll creation)
    • Ralph Krueger (added post poll creation)
    • Michel Therrien (added post poll creation)
    • Darryl Sutter (added post poll creation)
    • Dave Lowry (added post poll creation)
    • Dallas Eakins (added post poll creation)
    • Kirk Muller (added post poll creation)
    • Sheldon Keefe (added post poll creation)
    • Brad Larsen (added post poll creation)
    • Todd Reirden (added post poll creation)

This poll is closed to new votes

23 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I'm sure Green would love the job in LA. Very good team and its LA of all places. I think LA would want an experienced head coach. 

Terry Peguila said he wants experienced people running things in BUF. I watched his presser today and he doesn't look like he's hiring a rookie coach or GM. He wants to win and he's on record saying he wants experienced people for his team.  

Green in Vancouver makes.good sense.  He'll be a stop gap guy here for 3 years. When team gets a bit better they'll bring another coach to create buzz and sell tickets. This is a long term project and there will be a couple of coaching changes over the next 5 years. 

Lombardi and Sutter to Buffalo?

I get the feeling if Benning wanted Green he would have hired him already. Maybe Green has already told JB he's going to leave his options open. Maybe he wants the LA job

On 4/21/2017 at 10:01 PM, WHL rocks said:

......................He'll be a stop gap guy here for 3 years. When team gets a bit better they'll bring another coach to create buzz and sell tickets. This is a long term project and there will be a couple of coaching changes over the next 5 years. 

This! 

Pretty much any NHL team that has played in SC finals, winners or losers, have gone through multiple head coaches post finals. Canucks are no different.

Not just multiple head coach changes but also players. The next SC contending team that the Canucks have will look very different. Here's hoping!

Welp.....with Montreal being knocked out.... looks like Kirk Muller is now available.

Jarvis and  Melanson are 2 pieces already in place.

Last piece HAS TO BE Muller.

Muller is still young, knows the current landscape, Has learned under the best while having experience running his own team (although unsuccessful) knows how to run a pp for exciting hockey and most importantly was NEVER  a Canuck.

We all mock the Coilers for recycling old ex Coilers and finally built a front office and coaching staff of outsiders

Jarvis/Melanson were outsiders...Muller is a perfect fit.

44 minutes ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Welp.....with Montreal being knocked out.... looks like Kirk Muller is now available.

Muller is still young, knows the current landscape, Has learned under the best while having experience running his own team (although unsuccessful) knows how to run a pp for exciting hockey and most importantly was NEVER  a Canuck.

We all mock the Coilers for recycling old ex Coilers and finally built a front office and coaching staff of outsiders

I find Muller to be a serious candidate. Broad range of experience and well respected. NHL experience as a player, NHL assistant coach and NHL coach. International experience which might help with the Euros. Knows Jarvis well. I like your idea of someone outside the org but in all honesty Benning was gone for a long time before he came back as GM.

Someone suggested that Green would go to LA but I doubt he would be hired there. He has viable cred as well but Muller has more NHL experience. Green would not be able to get the term of contract that Muller will be able to demand. This is an issue as who ever is hired will likely be gone in 3 seasons. Muller is a better candidate than Crow IMHO as well.

On 4/22/2017 at 6:25 AM, WHL rocks said:

I don't see Green getting either of those jobs. Kings and panthers want to compete for a cup and both have experienced ppl running the show.  They won't hire a rookie head coach who hasn't even been an assistant coach in the NHL before. 

According to McKenzie the Panthers want a young and upcoming coach that can grow with their team.  

Green is extremely well regarded across the league re McKenzie, Dreger, LeBrun, etc all claiming that everyone they've spoken to believes he is ready to be a head coach. 

Kings will name John Stevens - he was their coach in waiting. Press conference on Monday per LeBrun.

Now that my favorite Gallant has been chosen (mark my words he's going to be a fantastic coach for many years, I'm bummed we didn't get him) I think Green will be the next to get it. He won't make bone headed deployment decisions and we won't be competing for a cup for a while. He's also regarded across the hockey spectrum as ready for the big league. Why not?

9 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

I like Green a lot, but I would be equally happy to see Muller take over this team too.

1 hour ago, missioncanucksfan said:

can we please do a new poll since some of the choices we voted on are now gone?

I've touched on this earlier in the thread and in the op. You can vote again by clicking on "show vote options" at the bottom of the poll. This will allow you to vote for a new candidate. 

2 hours ago, Mattrek said:

Now that my favorite Gallant has been chosen (mark my words he's going to be a fantastic coach for many years, I'm bummed we didn't get him) I think Green will be the next to get it. He won't make bone headed deployment decisions and we won't be competing for a cup for a while. He's also regarded across the hockey spectrum as ready for the big league. Why not?

Sounds like he is the front runner and that a decision could come soon.

Willes in the Province - quotes by Linden on Green:

He was asked about the Canucks’ coaching search, which produced two interesting responses.

One, Freddy Krueger has a better chance of being the Canucks’ next head coach than Ralph Krueger, and, two, Travis Green remains the leading candidate to coach the Canucks next season.

“I don’t see a lot of organizational changes,” Linden said when Krueger was brought up.

As for Green, Linden said: “He’s an excellent candidate. It’s a real positive to have Travis in our organization.”

And he wasn’t done extolling Green’s virtues.

“He communicates well with young players,” Linden continued. “You just have to talk to (Canucks goaltending coach) Dan Cloutier and (director of player development) Ryan Johnson about the work he’s done in Utica to know that.

“(Green) has a program and a level of accountability. Relating to young players is so important in today’s game. I think the coaching game has changed.”

Linden was asked about a timeline.

“We’re well on our way,” he said. “I don’t expect this to drag on.”

Archived