The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?  

768 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

• Gerrard Gallant (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - LAS VEGAS)
    • Travis Green
    • Ken Hitchcock (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - DALLAS)
    • Marc Crawford
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Doug Jarvis
    • Kevin Dineen
    • Paul MacLean
    • Bob Hartley
    • Other (please explain below)
    • Patrick Roy (added post poll creation)
    • Ralph Krueger (added post poll creation)
    • Michel Therrien (added post poll creation)
    • Darryl Sutter (added post poll creation)
    • Dave Lowry (added post poll creation)
    • Dallas Eakins (added post poll creation)
    • Kirk Muller (added post poll creation)
    • Sheldon Keefe (added post poll creation)
    • Brad Larsen (added post poll creation)
    • Todd Reirden (added post poll creation)

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, oldnews said:

Who knows (aside from management and Green) but the time frame doesn't really tell us anything one way or the other.  As I pointed out, Green may have other options he's weighing, the Canucks may have other people they're evaluating - neither of those things necessarily preclude Green from being the guy here in the end.

I think you're reading too much into the fact they haven't made a public decision yet.

Fair enough but tell me... do you think Green has been offered the job? If so what in the world would make him think he could get a better job. What... Buffalo??? The reality is if you are an AHL coach and you're offered a head coaching job in the NHL, you take it and run. End of discussion. He cant run the risk of saying no to the Canucks hoping another job comes up. There are only 30 NHL coaching jobs in the entire world. Its fairly prestigious ya know

5 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

Fair enough but tell me... do you think Green has been offered the job? If so what in the world would make him think he could get a better job. What... Buffalo??? The reality is if you are an AHL coach and you're offered a head coaching job in the NHL, you take it and run. End of discussion. He cant run the risk of saying no to the Canucks hoping another job comes up. There are only 30 NHL coaching jobs in the entire world. Its fairly prestigious ya know

It's Florida that expressed interest - haven't heard anything about Buffalo, who don't even have a GM at this stage.

Who knows if he's been offered the job - or if they're talking contract terms - or if there is another candidate that they consider close - I just don't think the timeline alone indicates he's not getting the job.

4 minutes ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

There are all kinds of scenarios behind the scenes we aren't privy to. One thing's for certain, though. We've learned by now that this management, especially the ownership in particular, is very concerned with optics. They don't want it seen that they made a hasty decision on a new head coach without doing their due diligence. It only makes sense, in either case, that they talk to Ruff, Lowry, and whoever else is currently being hyped by the media. 

Also, the very real possibility exists that they've already come to an agreement with Green, and are just waiting for an acceptable time (i.e. without it seeming like a knee-jerk reaction) to announce it.

I'd think the announcement would be forthcoming before the ping pong ball/placard one hour super-hype network draft lotto next week. This isn't a players' July 1st UFA situation. If Green really wants to be here, he'll wait a week or two.

And you may be right here except that is exactly what's wrong with this organization. Screw optics. I mean any yokel can look at the standings and see exactly where this team sits. They're not fooling anyone. I know Italians are hyper concerned of what others think and say about them in terms of social standing and family reputation and so on, so you may be on to something there but at this point ... WHO CARES!. We suck okay. If its the right thing to do then it don't matter if the optics are that its a knee jerk reaction or not. At this point I think Green is out and their waiting on a coach who is still involved in a playoff series. Just my opinion

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

It's Florida that expressed interest - haven't heard anything about Buffalo, who don't even have a GM at this stage.

Who knows if he's been offered the job - or if they're talking contract terms - or if there is another candidate that they consider close - I just don't think the timeline alone indicates he's not getting the job.

I do

If Greens their guy then there is absolutely no reason not to announce it last week

On 4/23/2017 at 11:54 PM, two drink minimum said:

And you may be right here except that is exactly what's wrong with this organization. Screw optics. I mean any yokel can look at the standings and see exactly where this team sits. They're not fooling anyone. I know Italians are hyper concerned of what others think and say about them in terms of social standing and family reputation and so on, so you may be on to something there but at this point ... WHO CARES!. We suck okay. If its the right thing to do then it don't matter if the optics are that its a knee jerk reaction or not. At this point I think Green is out and their waiting on a coach who is still involved in a playoff series. Just my opinion

Well, we're all just speculating in the dark, but my point is that if Green's their man, it doesn't do any harm in waiting an extra week or two. There's literally no negative fallout in terms of hockey preparation for next season to hire a guy May 4 instead of Apr 20.

8 minutes ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

Well, we're all just speculating in the dark, but my point is that if Green's their man, it doesn't do any harm in waiting an extra week or two. There's literally no negative fallout in terms of hockey preparation for next season to hire a guy May 4 instead of Apr 20.

Absolutely but it also does no harm in not waiting to announce he's the new coach. I think the local media would have been able sniff it out by now if Green was in line for the job. Its a pretty hard secret to keep in this market not to mention it would be a god PR move to get it out there

I'm pretty sure Green will be their man.It will have to be a coach Benning and Linden can keep under their collective thumbs under.A guy like Sutter(as an example, but who I don't want)with NHL experience as a coach and GM would tell them to eff themselves if they tried to step in and tell him who to play and for what minutes.A guy like Ruff would do the same.Green is just another Willy as far as I'm concerned.Absolutely no NHL experience but being handed the keys to the castle anyway.Such a Benning and Linden thing to do.I want them both gone but that's a topic for another day.

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

When a player gets sent down to the AHL, a 'wake up call' - is obviously disappointed, and then plays under a coach that tough-loves him to improve his game without the puck, not leading to the kind of production that he might hope and expect - that can tend not to be terribly well received by young players.

If true, I think it definitely says something positive about Green, that Virtanen went through a season like this but privately raves about his coach.  It would suggest that Green got through to him and developed a strong relationship that Virtanen trusts in.

Very true, but a lot of players go down for a "wake up call" and don't wake up.  I hope Jake does, but only time will tell.  I haven't seen him play in the AHL but offensively from statistics (which is limited) he hasn't done much.

42 minutes ago, mpt said:

Very true, but a lot of players go down for a "wake up call" and don't wake up.  I hope Jake does, but only time will tell.  I haven't seen him play in the AHL but offensively from statistics (which is limited) he hasn't done much.

I have and he played very well 

3 hours ago, cowboy644 said:

I'm pretty sure Green will be their man.It will have to be a coach Benning and Linden can keep under their collective thumbs under.A guy like Sutter(as an example, but who I don't want)with NHL experience as a coach and GM would tell them to eff themselves if they tried to step in and tell him who to play and for what minutes.A guy like Ruff would do the same.Green is just another Willy as far as I'm concerned.Absolutely no NHL experience but being handed the keys to the castle anyway.Such a Benning and Linden thing to do.I want them both gone but that's a topic for another day.

He had NHL experience - he was assistant in Dallas. Green hasn't even been an assistant as far as I'm aware.

9 hours ago, two drink minimum said:

They fired WD two weeks ago and they've had Green in the organization for almost four years. I believe they know what they have in Green by now but if they don't... why not? What's this process you're talking about. If Green is their guy then hire him and move on to the next order of business. During his exit media presser WD said he had a sense he would be let go after the season back in February. Its no small time frame at all. In fact it seems to be Green isn't in their plans at all. Am I wrong here

Just because they know Green does not mean they don't explore options. The reverse logic would be 'what is the hurry'? They talked to Green in Van last week. I do think they will want the new coach in place as soon as the draft draw is done. I suspect the announcement will be this week. I am fine with Green as a choice.

I like Muller as well. I don't think he has played in the west, however. This is a consideration as easterners have little concept of the travel sched in the west and what that means to players. Apparently Torts had a real problem with it.

6 minutes ago, prix57 said:

Is Marc Crawford only signed as an assistant coach for the Sens for just this season or did he do 2 years or more?

Was it Crawford's influence that made the Sens go after Alex Burrows? If so his stock has likely jumped in Ottawa. Burrows is playing 2011 hockey right now.

IMHO some of the attraction for Crawford is a gut feel by some fans that a particular coach can get better results in Vancouver. While there is little doubt a coach can influence play it is over rated to a degree. The over riding concern, for the Canucks, should be a coach and system that develops players over the next 3 seasons. My issue with Crow is that he has coached in Van before. The inevitable ups and downs of a rebuilding team will likely exhaust any cache he might have with many fans relatively quickly. Green or Muller, on the other hand, come in as unknowns.  

1 hour ago, Provost said:

The poll is pretty meaningless now that so many different candidates are available and some gone.

A new one could be in order to reflect the new realities.

16 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

I've touched on this earlier in the thread and in the op. You can vote again by clicking on "show vote options" at the bottom of the poll. This will allow you to vote for a new candidate. 

The poll is not meaningless. Lots of people have re-voted, and you can easily disregard the votes for the two candidates who are out of contention, which have been appropriately marked.

Therefor the poll currently reads:

1st - Travis Green - 228 votes

2nd - Marc Crawford - 218 votes

3rd - Darryl Sutter - 84 votes

4th - Ralph Krueger - 42 votes

5th - Lindy Ruff - 28 votes

etc, etc....

Archived