The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?  

768 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

• Gerrard Gallant (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - LAS VEGAS)
    • Travis Green
    • Ken Hitchcock (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - DALLAS)
    • Marc Crawford
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Doug Jarvis
    • Kevin Dineen
    • Paul MacLean
    • Bob Hartley
    • Other (please explain below)
    • Patrick Roy (added post poll creation)
    • Ralph Krueger (added post poll creation)
    • Michel Therrien (added post poll creation)
    • Darryl Sutter (added post poll creation)
    • Dave Lowry (added post poll creation)
    • Dallas Eakins (added post poll creation)
    • Kirk Muller (added post poll creation)
    • Sheldon Keefe (added post poll creation)
    • Brad Larsen (added post poll creation)
    • Todd Reirden (added post poll creation)

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I have and he played very well 

Might be a blessing for him that the fanbase has lowereed their expectations so dramatically.

I personally  think he'll surprise people - he has a great toolbox and under-rated hockey intelligence imo.

15 hours ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

There are all kinds of scenarios behind the scenes we aren't privy to. One thing's for certain, though. We've learned by now that this management, especially the ownership in particular, is very concerned with optics. They don't want it seen that they made a hasty decision on a new head coach without doing their due diligence. It only makes sense, in either case, that they talk to Ruff, Lowry, and whoever else is currently being hyped by the media. 

Also, the very real possibility exists that they've already come to an agreement with Green, and are just waiting for an acceptable time (i.e. without it seeming like a knee-jerk reaction) to announce it.

I'd think the announcement would be forthcoming before the ping pong ball/placard one hour super-hype network draft lotto next week. This isn't a players' July 1st UFA situation. If Green really wants to be here, he'll wait a week or two.

I think your right on ...  I also think they are gonna make that announcement and that it'll be green 

I would go with Travis Green first and foremost.  He's worked already with most of the Canucks players, let alone the Utica players that will become Canucks.  It probably makes the most sense to move this very young and mistake-prone group forward. If Green doesn't get the job, for sure he'll probably bolt to another NHL club this offseason as there are (currently) Buffalo and Florida also needing a new bench boss (other than the Canucks).

Other than Green, the only other guy I'd go after would be Marc Crawford.  Yes, he could be viewed as a re-tread coach in these parts, but you can't argue with what he did with this team when he was the head coach.  Also, he likes to play a very 'up-tempo' offensively skilled type of game.  As a fan, that is exactly what we've been missing - with the boring Willie D structure shoved down our throats the past three seasons. 

Time to not only play the youth, its time to play them MORE - let them make their mistakes on-the-fly and learn first hand what it takes to 'stay' in the NHL.  (ie: Maple Leafs 2016-17).  Babcock knew they would make mistakes, but he also played them in tough situations knowing that each player would be better for the mistakes and learn from them - LONG TERM!

14 hours ago, stawns said:

I have and he played very well 

Are we expecting a top 6 pick to score 8 goals a year in the minors?  Getting a 3rd or 4th liner as a top draft pick is not a successful pick.  He has a long ways to go and frankly I'm not sure if he has the offensive awareness or the intelligence to get there; only time will tell and I hope he gets there and proves me wrong.

9 hours ago, vancouverdepression said:

Baert Bo Boeser

Dahlen (Hischier or Patrick) Goldobin

Demko

If you told me that would possibly be my top 2 lines and starting goalie in a couple years i would be all over this job as coach.  

You do realize that we have an over 63% chance of picking 4th or 5th in the draft right?

4 minutes ago, Xbox said:

An Oilers fan told me he hates what we're doing to our franchise :(

11 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

The poll is not meaningless. Lots of people have re-voted, and you can easily disregard the votes for the two candidates who are out of contention, which have been appropriately marked.

Therefor the poll currently reads:

1st - Travis Green - 228 votes

2nd - Marc Crawford - 218 votes

3rd - Darryl Sutter - 84 votes

4th - Ralph Krueger - 42 votes

5th - Lindy Ruff - 28 votes

etc, etc....

Marc-Crawford-coach-featured.png

9 hours ago, vancouverdepression said:

Baert Bo Boeser

Dahlen (Hischier or Patrick) Goldobin

Demko

If you told me that would possibly be my top 2 lines and starting goalie in a couple years i would be all over this job as coach.  

Or if out of the top-2, a good-sized hard-working character guy who puts up points (especially at even strength) and is a Canadian boy to boot in there (Glass) would be a pretty nice future top-6 as well.  We're going to get a good player regardless.

Looks like a done deal.

Congrats to Travis Green. He's been deserving of an NHL gig for a while now. Glad to see him get his shot with us and stay within the organization.

He might not have been my absolute first choice for head coach but I'm more than satisfied with the selection.

Should be an excellent coach for where this team is right now. And if all goes well, he can grow with this young group and be the guy that guides this team through the remainder of the rebuild and hopefully into its next iteration as a contender (if he's still here whenever we get to that point).

Archived