The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?  

768 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks?

• Gerrard Gallant (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - LAS VEGAS)
    • Travis Green
    • Ken Hitchcock (NO LONGER AVAILABLE - DALLAS)
    • Marc Crawford
    • Lindy Ruff
    • Doug Jarvis
    • Kevin Dineen
    • Paul MacLean
    • Bob Hartley
    • Other (please explain below)
    • Patrick Roy (added post poll creation)
    • Ralph Krueger (added post poll creation)
    • Michel Therrien (added post poll creation)
    • Darryl Sutter (added post poll creation)
    • Dave Lowry (added post poll creation)
    • Dallas Eakins (added post poll creation)
    • Kirk Muller (added post poll creation)
    • Sheldon Keefe (added post poll creation)
    • Brad Larsen (added post poll creation)
    • Todd Reirden (added post poll creation)

This poll is closed to new votes

2 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Why the hell do people want travis green as our next head coach? Maybe im missing something but was has Green done? This is the same hype people had with willie d when he was considered the next best coach from the ahl. Ill pass on green seen that movie before...

Green has done an awesome job in Utica with teams that have been pretty lean on talent and getting the most out of kids. Considering that's what we're looking at for the next few years, think its a pretty good idea to have someone good at getting the most out of his players.

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Travis Green, Marc Crawford, Gerrard Gallant, Lindy Ruff.

In that order.

I would be happy with Green, Crawford, or Gallant, but not Ruff.

We would see more offense with Crawford, which would be more entertaining. But one thing I like about Green is that every year in Utica the team got better as the year progressed. And the team seemed to really come together with each guy buying into the team philosophy. Green does favour a defensive philosophy, however, making sure guys stay "on the right side of the puck" instead of anticipating break out opportunities. As far as I can tell, Green and Willie are pretty similar in terms of philosophy and systems. But Green seems to be better at adjusting and, while I expect him to just as tough as Willie on young guys, I also expect him to hold veterans accountable.

So I do not expect guys like Sutter, Edler, Eriksson, and the Sedins to get a free pass with Green like they did with Willie.

The Sedins are great guys but it is not an accident that Henrik was contending for the green jacket with a -27 plus/minus this year after being a career +206 with the Canucks previously. His only previous negative year was -2 in his rookie season. He is still the franchise all time career leader in +/-. He was just overplayed. He needs fewer minutes and more protected minutes. But it is obvious that the Sedins are most complementary pieces going forward. We need a coach who will build the team around the emerging young core (not that there is a whole lot of choice now).

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

You missed, it has nothing to do with Vancouver the city, it has to do with the team, ownership, management and players.

Would Ken Hitchcock rather coach the Canucks or the Islanders for example...

At least I have a little self-esteem.  I'm so tired of so-called "fans" parroting the biased media that nobody wants to come here.  It's such a lie! 

And no I didn't miss the point that people think our team and management are terrible, I just choose to ignore that.  And even if they are terrible, which I don't think is the case, the point is to make it better not just keep up the "woe is me", "how terrible is our team", "nobody likes us" routine (disgusting, I can't stand that low-self-esteem crap).  GCG!

Gallant or Dineen. 

We need coaches that are good with young players. Gallant fits the bill perfectly. Takes a rather inexperienced Florida team to the playoffs and somewhat revived Jagr's career. Also very calm and diligent man. 

Bring Green as an associate next year. 

1 hour ago, Fanaholic said:

every game will be let's fall asleep now while we play 60 minutes of D.   Originally I gave you a negative vote but then decided you didn't deserve one because everyone has their own opinion.    You might not like Crawford and that is who I want!!!

Acrually I like the idea of Crow/Green. Maybe Hitch isn't the best coach to raise youngsters... but I am fully against another rookie head coach.

48 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Green has done an awesome job in Utica with teams that have been pretty lean on talent and getting the most out of kids. Considering that's what we're looking at for the next few years, think its a pretty good idea to have someone good at getting the most out of his players.

But he didn't turn Virtanen into Lucic in one season like everyone wanted

:lol:

We dont need another rookie coach, and agree with others on another ...we need someone with experience....green should be a assistant 1st than work his way into a head coaching job in a couple years , atleast he will get the xp

as for candidates

1) Gerrard Gallant

2) Marc Crawford

3) Ken Hitchcock ( he be perfect, fix the canucks, and than green can take over in a year or two )

4) Lindy Ruff

In this order, all have exp and would be a great fit for the nucks

It should be me.  I'm a cross between a powerful wizard and a dapper hotdog wearing a tuxedo.  Who is better qualified.....

....Marc Crawford.  In fact I choose Crow instead.  Crow has a good demeanor and would likely have a good balance with the younger and older players....based on no real evidence other than coaching Auston Matthews.

I like the idea of Travis Green but we have a rookie GM, President and are relying on rookies to play.  We need some vets other than what's left of our former core.  I wouldn't be upset with Ken Hitchcock.

I like the idea of Crawford. I just believe he has matured as a coach and as a person and has broadened his experience. He did manage Auston Matthews first pro season so he's as current as anyone out there, especially with another year in the NHL as assistant in Ottawa. He is also immediately knowledgeable about what it takes to function in a city with lunatic fans like Vancouver's. I think he'd work well with Doug Jarvis but I don't know who he'd want to hire to fill out his staff. Crawford also has a good rapport with the local media, for what that is worth. Really, there wouldn't be a huge adjustment period and because he is a real student of the game, he already knows a lot about the Canucks players, so he could get to work right away.

Archived