The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden & Benning on TSN 1040 - April 10

CanadianRugby

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

That's actually a pretty crazy stat. 

It just goes to show how much of a mistake the Eriksson signing was. 

If we just accepted the re-build, the Sedin's salaries wouldn't really matter. Their value would be in leadership and mentoring youth. Giving a guy like Goldobin confidence in the NHL, or showing a young bro like Virtanen the ropes to becoming a true professional athlete. 

Throw Eriksson into the mix and it becomes awkward. The Twins salaries are off the books next year. If they re-sign for 2 million a piece then they are earning relative to their production but we are stuck with Eriksson for 5 more years on a bloat salary and we can't trade him. 

By the time Eriksson will be off the books Horvat will be 27. A prime age, but Eriksson does create a clog that could prevent the Canucks from competing even earlier or retaining younger talent once the new core is demanding 3-7 million per piece vs their rookie or bridge deals. 

Like Sutter, I don't mind Eriksson in a sense that both players can eat up defensive minutes to take the pressure off of some of the younger forwards. Eriksson just looks a lot worse as he is 3 years older, has one extra year on his contract, and eats up 1.5 million more in cap space and can't play centre. 

12 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

"We're focused 100% on making the playoffs."  - Trevor Linden before 2015/16 season.  If rebuilding was the goal then why after 3 years is there only 1 player drafted by Benning on the team?  Why has Vancouver had so few draft picks? 

Over the last 2 drafts.  The Maple Leafs had 10 draft picks in the first 3 rounds, Vancouver had 4.  I guess that explains why they had 6 good rookies this year that have already led them to the playoffs.  While the Canucks are just starting to bottom out, as they neither created a competitive environment nor did they start rebuilding until the last trade deadline. 

Generally the year after you make the playoffs one assumes, that given that the team did in fact seem improved ( Sutter, Bo's Second year, Etc. ) that you should be able to get there again. Had injuries not decimated the team, had Vrbata not turned into a piece of warm string cheese, if Sutter did not get 2 freak injuries, well you get the point, 15/16 was not an organic bottoming out, it was not a lack of quality players per se, it was a lack of performance and an inordinate amount of injuries, leading to the depth of the club being exposed for what it was, minimal. 

I Understand you wanted a tank from year 1 of Bennings tenure, but as I have already detailed earlier on this page, given what we witnessed and what was said by Linden and Benning, It would appear that ownership wanted to give the Sedins 1-2 more playoffs runs. Thankfully other than trading a few picks, only 1 or 2 floundering prospects where traded. ( Frosling may prove to be something good yet, however Jensen is looking like a bust, Shik may yet be something, but that trade was an upgrade )

As Far as only having 4 prospects, had Virtanen not had his shoulder injury, had he been able to go strait to the AHL ( per Nylander ) and if he had taken his fitness far more seriously he could have been a contributor this year. McCann was looking like a decent player, I don't think anyone would argue he didn't belong on the team after his first 20 games. Then the seasons started to go to hell and it killed McCann's confidence, once that happened his progress almost started going in reverse. Thankfully we turned him into Quads who I feel will be a solid player for us given he will be healthy to start the year.

Sometimes as a GM risks are taken, calculated risks, but still risks.

We also already had Bo on the team, Hutton made the team, Stecher made the team, McCann was turned into Quads which can't be ignored ( Provided he steps up his game this coming seasoon ). Sven/Granlund can in a way be considering Benning prospects in that he used prospects/picks to trade for players he felt where ready to take that next step and or step in immediately.

If VVirtanen/OJ/Gaudette/Lockwood/Brisebois/A Dark Horse, can all make the team somewhere in the next 2-3 years + whoever we get from this draft/Next I don't see what the problem is.

Also you talk about the Leafs 10 picks in the first 3 rounds like that means anything, are you just nut hugging the leafs because its the flavor of the month? Here are players playing on the Leafs roster that they drafted.

2014: Nylander ( Valiev had 10 games with 0 goals 0 assists )

2015: Marner

2016: Matthews

Yah they really showed us :rolleyes: .

Players who have played or are playing on the Canucks roster.

2014: Virtanen ( He did play 65 games ) McCann ( 98 games between Van/Florida ) Tryamkin ( 79 Games of pure potential ) Frosling ( 38 Games, Benning may wish a Mulligan here )

2015: Boeser ( We drafted 24 compared to 4, I would kind of hope Marner was quicker to the plate )

2016:  Still Developing and had we not been screwed by random chance we may had snagged Laine and this would be a moot year.

Now you may say, but Virtanen is in the AHL. McCann and Frosling where traded, Boeser has only played 9 games. All True, but if you add in the games played of Sven, Vey & Quads ( Granlund was acquired via a Gilli's era Asset ) we actually have more games played from our drafted ( Drafted By means of trade using picks/prospects ) than the leafs do, what we don't have is a #4 / #1 overall pick. OJ may yet become just as important as a player like Marner. Yes between Virtanen/Nylander at this moment is the better pick, and Matthews will always be a first overall.

If the Canucks draft top 2 this year, all you can really say is that we are 1 year behind the leafs as this years draft being as week as it is means the leafs may only get a player in the ilk of McCann and even that's a maybe as most players drafted after 15 have way less of a chance of being something that players in the top 10.

1 minute ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Can you force yourself to admit that the Leafs purposefully approached the last few drafts, as mentioned, with many quality picks, whereas the Canucks did not?

That would be a departure from the norm here, from your camp.

I think the problem is half the time Benning does the right thing, the other half he does the wrong thing.

Between the 2016 trade deadline, trading a high 2nd + McCann for Gudbranson, drafting Juolevi over Tkachuk, dumping Etem over a bad training camp (after a strong showing to finish the season - the dude just had a new born baby) and signing Eriksson I was quite frustrated with how the future was shaping up. 

That said, Benning was the winner of the 2017 trade deadline. He dumped Desjardins who again seemed to be all over the play in terms of direction. 

If we make the playoffs next year that would be great. But I want to see it on the backs of a young core, not high priced veteran free agents. 

48 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Can you force yourself to admit that the Leafs purposefully approached the last few drafts, as mentioned, with many quality picks, whereas the Canucks did not?

That would be a departure from the norm here, from your camp.

The Leafs sure did have purpose, Tanking.

Canucks where trying the make the playoff's for the first 2 years, it is only this year and only once trade deadline rolled around that the Canucks knew they would probably be drafting top 5 ( and to ensure that it took, what? 13 strait losses? )

Everyone is so damn hung up on draft picks outside round 1. Yes Benning has found some gems outside of round 1, and yes, there is the saying that the more crap you throw at a wall the better the chance you have for some to stick.

But Baertschi ( aquired via trade for 2nd ) has already done more than any Leafs second rounder from 2009 to present.

So I am really not sure what we are actually disagreeing on? The fact that the leafs did a scorched earth rebuild and that the Canucks where never going to?

Canucks where never going to jettison every vet the moment Benning took over, so just accept that fact and move on. Laine was picked by a team who finished better than the Canucks  ( Thanks allot Edmonton ) and in 2015, other than one of McDavid or Eichel, I feel Boeser has as good of a chance to be one of the top players form that draft year as anyone.

So he "MAY" have missed on Virtanen, it was Benning's first draft, his first year with the Canucks, his first year ever as a GM. That said Demko / Tryamkin may make us forget all about should have drafted Kopitarzz, oops I mean should have drafted Ehlers / Nylander. This draft requires some patience. If Virtanen yet puts it together and scores 20+ goals a year for the next 10 years all that's been accomplished by complaining is an increased chance of heart disease latter on in life. Stress and negativity kills.

So lets see, 2014 may yet be a fantastic draft. If Demko becomes our #1 Goalie of the future, even a solid #3 out of Tryamkin is a massive win and Virtanen may yet be a very good middle 6 player. McCann became Quads who may yet be a solid Second pair shutdown physical D for years to come.

2015, Boeser, need I say more? Okay I will, if one, just one of Briesbois, Gaudette or Jasek make the team 2015 will become a Stellar year, a year in which Canucks where in the last 1/3 of the draft. Not #4 like the Leafs.

2016? Well as I already said, Winnipeg finished better than the Canucks and walked away with Laine, so what can we really do? Sure Calgary got a good forward in Tkachuk, but if OJ become a 30-35 point #1 or #2 D-man, can we really complain? When Edler is the last D-Man the Canucks drafted to be anything close to a top pair player it was time to roll the dice on picking up a top end rear guard.

I do not understand the Leafs nut gobblers, they had as much of a chance of being the next Edmonton Oilers, as they did making the playoffs this year. They had 20% odds to pick Matthews, they lucked out, had they lost and picked Laine they would not have made the playoffs this year. Had the Canucks somehow won and picked Matthews we probably would have made the playoffs.

We where never, ever, ever, going to out Tank the leafs last year. Even if we say, finished second last we would have still have probably picked 4th, giving us Pul-A-Rv, who yes, will be a good player, but he is no Matthews / Laine.

32 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I think the problem is half the time Benning does the right thing, the other half he does the wrong thing.

Between the 2016 trade deadline, trading a high 2nd + McCann for Gudbranson, drafting Juolevi over Tkachuk, dumping Etem over a bad training camp (after a strong showing to finish the season - the dude just had a new born baby) and signing Eriksson I was quite frustrated with how the future was shaping up. 

That said, Benning was the winner of the 2017 trade deadline. He dumped Desjardins who again seemed to be all over the play in terms of direction. 

If we make the playoffs next year that would be great. But I want to see it on the backs of a young core, not high priced veteran free agents. 

McCann and a second for Guddy, I do every single time with no exceptions

Juolevi is going to be every bit as impactful As Tkachuk, probably more.  You can trade for a top 6 winger, you almost always have to draft a top 2 dman.

I liked Etem, but he had a terrible camp......not like he went on to have a breakout season.

Eriksson signing has no impact on the rebuild at all.  For me, he gets a pass.....he's an excellent two way fwd who plays in all situations.  As he did in Boston, he may very well follow up a poor first season with a very good second one.  I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

McCann and a second for Guddy, I do every single time with no exceptions

Juolevi is going to be every bit as impactful As Tkachuk, probably more.  You can trade for a top 6 winger, you almost always have to draft a top 2 dman.

I liked Etem, but he had a terrible camp......not like he went on to have a breakout season.

Eriksson signing has no impact on the rebuild at all.  For me, he gets a pass.....he's an excellent two way fwd who plays in all situations.  As he did in Boston, he may very well follow up a poor first season with a very good second one.  I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Yep, Quads may yet be a big piece of the D moving forward ( Especially if we eventually trade/let go of Tanev and Edler ).

Agreed on OJ. Top 2 D demand first line Centers. Huge value both to the team and in terms of a trade piece if he meets his potential.

Etem for Jensen was just a delaying of a prospect washing out anyways.

Also on Eriksson other than players not named Bo, Granlund, Stecher, Tryamkin or Sven, Who didn't have close to career worst years this past season?

1 hour ago, R35Godz1lla said:

The Leafs sure did have purpose, Tanking.

Canucks where trying the make the playoff's for the first 2 years, it is only this year and only once trade deadline rolled around that the Canucks knew they would probably be drafting top 5 ( and to ensure that it took, what? 13 strait losses? )

Everyone is so damn hung up on draft picks outside round 1. Yes Benning has found some gems outside of round 1, and yes, there is the saying that the more crap you throw at a wall the better the chance you have for some to stick.

But Baertschi ( aquired via trade for 2nd ) has already done more than any Leafs second rounder from 2009 to present.

So I am really not sure what we are actually disagreeing on? The fact that the leafs did a scorched earth rebuild and that the Canucks where never going to?

Canucks where never going to jettison every vet the moment Benning took over, so just accept that fact and move on. Laine was picked by a team who finished better than the Canucks  ( Thanks allot Edmonton ) and in 2015, other than one of McDavid or Eichel, I feel Boeser has as good of a chance to be one of the top players form that draft year as anyone.

So he "MAY" have missed on Virtanen, it was Benning's first draft, his first year with the Canucks, his first year ever as a GM. That said Demko / Tryamkin may make us forget all about should have drafted Kopitarzz, oops I mean should have drafted Ehlers / Nylander. This draft requires some patience. If Virtanen yet puts it together and scores 20+ goals a year for the next 10 years all that's been accomplished by complaining is an increased chance of heart disease latter on in life. Stress and negativity kills.

So lets see, 2014 may yet be a fantastic draft. If Demko becomes our #1 Goalie of the future, even a solid #3 out of Tryamkin is a massive win and Virtanen may yet be a very good middle 6 player. McCann became Quads who may yet be a solid Second pair shutdown physical D for years to come.

2015, Boeser, need I say more? Okay I will, if one, just one of Briesbois, Gaudette or Jasek make the team 2015 will become a Stellar year, a year in which Canucks where in the last 1/3 of the draft. Not #4 like the Leafs.

2016? Well as I already said, Winnipeg finished better than the Canucks and walked away with Laine, so what can we really do? Sure Calgary got a good forward in Tkachuk, but if OJ become a 30-35 point #1 or #2 D-man, can we really complain? When Edler is the last D-Man the Canucks drafted to be anything close to a top pair player it was time to roll the dice on picking up a top end rear guard.

I do not understand the Leafs nut gobblers, they had as much of a chance of being the next Edmonton Oilers, as they did making the playoffs this year. They had 20% odds to pick Matthews, they lucked out, had they lost and picked Laine they would not have made the playoffs this year. Had the Canucks somehow won and picked Matthews we probably would have made the playoffs.

We where never, ever, ever, going to out Tank the leafs last year. Even if we say, finished second last we would have still have probably picked 4th, giving us Pul-A-Rv, who yes, will be a good player, but he is no Matthews / Laine.

Lots of words.

Why would a rebuilding team go into a few drafts in a row with fewer quality draft picks than other rebuilding teams? It's because the plan wasn't to restock the shelves as quickly as possible. Accidentally picking high isn't a plan, it's a puck up, but I'll take it. Just don't expect me to be singing his praises or agreeing that it was somehow part of the plan. 

1 hour ago, R35Godz1lla said:

2014: Nylander ( Valiev had 10 games with 0 goals 0 assists )

2015: Marner

2016: Matthews

Yah they really showed us :rolleyes: .

Players who have played or are playing on the Canucks roster.

2014: Virtanen ( He did play 65 games ) McCann ( 98 games between Van/Florida ) Tryamkin ( 79 Games of pure potential ) Frosling ( 38 Games, Benning may wish a Mulligan here )

2015: Boeser ( We drafted 24 compared to 4, I would kind of hope Marner was quicker to the plate )

2016:  Still Developing and had we not been screwed by random chance we may had snagged Laine and this would be a moot year.

Yeah, they did show us actually (how to rebuild).  Matthews alone is better than Virtanen, Boeser and Juolevi put together.  4th rookie in NHL history to score 40+ goals.  They had 3 rookies score 60+ points this year, we didn't even have one player let alone rookie that came close to scoring 60. 

But wait.  This is CDC, where duds like Virtanen are praised and players like Matthews are disregarded because they're on a team you don't like. 

Last year the homers on here were predicting that Vancouver will be a better team faster than the Leafs, that the Leafs will still be at the bottom this year.  Now the story changes and Virtanen is somehow comparable to Nylander?  What a joke. 

Everything that analysts have been saying for the last 3 years has come to fruition.  The Leafs did a masterful job of acquiring a ton of draft picks, rebuilding the right way through the draft.  Vancouver was in denial, refused to blow it up and was predicted to become the burning dumpster fire that they are right now. 

At least Benning/Linden are smart enough to admit their plan didn't work and are now blowing it up and tanking. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Lots of words.

Why would a rebuilding team go into a few drafts in a row with fewer quality draft picks than other rebuilding teams? It's because the plan wasn't to restock the shelves as quickly as possible. Accidentally picking high isn't a plan, it's a puck up, but I'll take it. Just don't expect me to be singing his praises or agreeing that it was somehow part of the plan. 

You are judging Benning on his ability to re-build when even you yourself admit that this trade deadline was the true start of the "Re-Build" phase.

Do you understand the contradiction there? You are complaining that he is bad at something he has not yet been doing for more than one trade deadline.

You say that he is bad at rebuilding when one can reasonably argue that his task for the first 2 years of his tenure where to give the team another shot at a playoff run, while doing his best to add prospects to the depleted pool. He did just that and the team has now run its course and the only reasonable option is to now go into full rebuild mode.

You even just said the plan was never to restock as quickly as possible . . like ARGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!! :frantic::frantic:

You seem like an intelligent fellow but you have this agenda of proving that Benning is not the right GM for this team and I don't understand what you get out of it.

Ill address why it's all a moot point anyways in my next reply below.

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

Yeah, they did show us actually (how to rebuild).  Matthews alone is better than Virtanen, Boeser and Juolevi put together.  4th rookie in NHL history to score 40+ goals.  They had 3 rookies score 60+ points this year, we didn't even have one player let alone rookie that came close to scoring 60. 

But wait.  This is CDC, where duds like Virtanen are praised and players like Matthews are disregarded because they're on a team you don't like. 

Last year the homers on here were predicting that Vancouver will be a better team faster than the Leafs, that the Leafs will still be at the bottom this year.  Now the story changes and Virtanen is somehow comparable to Nylander?  What a joke. 

Everything that analysts have been saying for the last 3 years has come to fruition.  The Leafs did a masterful job of acquiring a ton of draft picks, rebuilding the right way through the draft.  Vancouver was in denial, refused to blow it up and was predicted to become the burning dumpster fire that they are right now. 

At least Benning/Linden are smart enough to admit their plan didn't work and are now blowing it up and tanking. 

Do you even hear yourself? Nice martyrdom syndrome by the way. I have never dismissed Matthews, he is and will be a fantastic player, but don't act like Toronto did anything amazing to get him. They out Tanked Everyone! for an addition 10% chance to pick him. That's it. They had a 20% chance, we had a 10%, we lost, they won, get over it.

Benning didn't control where the Canucks picked in the Virt year and we have gone over and over the fact that Ehlers/Nylander would have been the better pick, but don't act like Toronto has anyone from 2014 other than Nylander on the team right now. Its convenient that you ignore my points on Demko / Tryamkin as well.

The "Analysts" have wanted Van to tank, that is true. Ownership seems to have wanted 2 more runs at the playoffs. Just accept that and move on, you will be happier for it.

Again, what are you even arguing? Toronto tanked for the last 3 years, Canucks didn't, That it, end of story. There is no other narrative to be applied here.

What do you expect to gain from comparing Toronto to Vancouver? Even if the Canucks had blown it up for the 14-15 season I would bet my life on the fact that Edmonton and Buffalo would still have been picking #1 and #2 . Even blowing it up I doubt we do worse than #6, so Zacha or Provorov, because that would have pushed us so much further ahead. Now lets say in 2016 we occupy the #2 draft slot come lottery, know who we get? JP

So instead of Boeser and Oj, we have one of Zacha/Provorov and JP.

So if Boeser can match the career of JP ( Big, big IF ) and OJ can be as good as Provorov ( I see no reason he can't ) we are right where we would have been.

Zilla, it's not a contradiction, it's merely acknowledging that his plan hasn't worked and this "plan" of accidentally tanking to get the high picks he's had is a miracle of good fortune, considering the aim. Nobody should get off the hook for this mislabeld, creeping wreck of a "playoff team" turned tanker, from the fans.

If he and Slim want to be pimped out by Aquaman, and standup there and be politicians, then they should and will get hammered by the fans. A spade is a spade.

Will you and I agree that this TDL was the start of a long-overdue rebuild?

I define a basic rebuild simply by employing a strategy of drafting with as many picks as possible. This hasn't really happened here yet. The Burr and Hansen trades signalled the rebuild to me. Nothing he's done previously, indicated he was going to aggressively rebuild the core. That's what the rebuild goals is, after all; rebuild the core. He dumped lots of spare parts, but he did nothing for the core. Chicago has rebuilt their core with the same rigour and approach as Vancouver, if you catch my drift; one first rounder at a time... with a few late rounders too, supplementing their roster by trading second rounders for support and role players. 

Regardless, I am a happy camper, minus the wait and the jargon around retool, reset, refool crap. I have faith in the guy, but less in Linden. His words are as hollow as his PR stint of a hire. Never thought he'd be the kind of guy to put lipstick on a pig for a few bucks; refool. 

10 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

You are judging Benning on his ability to re-build when even you yourself admit that this trade deadline was the true start of the "Re-Build" phase.

The "tank" crowd throw out the "extra draft picks" line a lot, but their vision also relies on: 20/20 drafting hindsight and the assumption that we'd have won the draft lottery.  A whole lot of unlikely things would have needed to fall into place for the mythical 2014 rebuild to have panned out significantly better than today.

It also completely disregards the impact NTC/NMC's can have on trade negotiations, the will of ownership or the need for veteran leadership on the roster to play with the young drafted talent.  

It also conveniently forgets how bare the prospect pool was when they took over and how a wholesale clean out (for picks no less) would have left the roster in even worse shape than it was this year.

Finally, snark abounds over JB's "Winning environment" quote but the logic behind it stands - you need quality players on the roster to both insulate, support and push the prospectsAs if the team finishing low the past 2 years somehow negates the positive impact keeping the Sedins, Burrows, Hansen had on Bo and co.   

No, if JB's plan was to retool the roster into a younger but still competitive version I'm fine with him overshooting on the younger while missing out on the competitive.  It comes with a built in contingency plan and natural transition into the current roster, which is basically a full rebuild... difference is we're chalk full of 20-somethings with upside to grow with that we didn't have 3 years ago.

14 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Zilla, it's not a contradiction, it's merely acknowledging that his plan hasn't worked and this "plan" of accidentally tanking to get the high picks he's had is a miracle of good fortune, considering the aim. Nobody should get off the hook for this mislabeld, creeping wreck of a "playoff team" turned tanker, from the fans.

If he and Slim want to be pimped out by Aquaman, and standup there and be politicians, then they should and will get hammered by the fans. A spade is a spade.

Will you and I agree that this TDL was the start of a long-overdue rebuild?

I define a basic rebuild simply by employing a strategy of drafting with as many picks as possible. This hasn't really happened here yet. The Burr and Hansen trades signalled the rebuild to me. Nothing he's done previously, indicated he was going to aggressively rebuild the core. That's what the rebuild goals is, after all; rebuild the core. He dumped lots of spare parts, but he did nothing for the core. Chicago has rebuilt their core with the same rigour and approach as Vancouver, if you catch my drift; one first rounder at a time... with a few late rounders too, supplementing their roster by trading second rounders for support and role players. 

Regardless, I am a happy camper, minus the wait and the jargon around retool, reset, refool crap. I have faith in the guy, but less in Linden. His words are as hollow as his PR stint of a hire. Never thought he'd be the kind of guy to put lipstick on a pig for a few bucks; refool. 

Fair enough. I can understand being frustrated with what has transpired. We missed the playoffs in 2/3 seasons and I agree, it would be nice to see some more concrete progression at this stage given what the team has achieved on the ice.

The problem witht he franchise as i see it, is that the rebuild should have transpired the moment they let AV go, problem was then the same as it was when Benning took over, how do you gut a team that contained the Sedins + all the other NTC saddled contracts it did, because with all of those players Ownership still felt we had the bulk of a plyoff capable team in place.

I suppose we are not really all that far off in perspective, it's simply that I chose to look at it from a standpoint that accepts that Bennig's plan while not to miss the playoffs last year was executed to the best of what he was tasked with doing.

If anything Benning may have stopped what could have been a worse situation had a different GM been put in place who was not as focused on the drafting / getting younger aspect. Say someone in the cloth of Burke who trades picks and prospects like he is popping them out of a pez dispenser.

I admit if Linden / Benning had maybe said what they have in a bit more strait forward terms there may be less anger and confusion, but I also think the reason what they have said has not always matched what they have done is that they are trying to please far to many sections of the fanbase at the same time, something that I think in turn falls back onto the fans for. I say that because no matter what Linden / Benning say or do there is always a mob ready with pitch forks.

I do hope the new direction takes shape as I would hate to see our fans get to the point of Toronto fans, wearing paper bags and throwing Jerseys on the ice. Even then it still took a couple years before they lucked ( In large part you have to agree luck was involved ) into picking up Matthews. Marner and Nylander are good and all but those 2 players alone would never have taken Toronto into the post season.

10 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

"Snip"

Great post! 

2 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Cause and effect...deployment and TOI were two factors against the young players.

WD stuck with playing the Sedins on the PP, Ozone faceoffs 19 minutes per game plus 3rd period minutes...

Toronto on the other hand played their young guys who became their go to guys with their development and increased confidence.

Canucks management/ coaches need to start doing what they say and stick to playing and developing the young guys over playing the vets (who we already know what their limitations are).

39 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Cause and effect...deployment and TOI were two factors against the young players.

WD stuck with playing the Sedins on the PP, Ozone faceoffs 19 minutes per game plus 3rd period minutes...

Toronto on the other hand played their young guys who became their go to guys with their development and increased confidence.

Canucks management/ coaches need to start doing what they say and stick to playing and developing the young guys over playing the vets (who we already know what their limitations are).

Matthews & Marner are also a #1 and a #4 pick.

If we did a redraft of 2014 Larkin/Ehlers/WN and Pastrnak all go before Bennett, Dal Cole & Virtanen anyways.

Forget should have picked Ehlers/WN it should be, "should have picked Pastrnak" .

Another thing is you don't deny players like the Sedins ice time, true Willie really leaned on them far too heavily.

Hopefully going forward whoever our new coach is finds a nice balance of using both Vets and Rookies.

Archived