The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden & Benning on TSN 1040 - April 10

CanadianRugby

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/linden-it-s-hard-when-you-re-29th-encouraged-by-where-canucks-are-1.720814

COACHING

In what ways did Willie fall short as a coach?

• He's a great person, great character. - Linden
  • Decision based on the need to make change. - Linden
  • There's some areas that can be improved on. - Linden

Why retain Doug Jarvis?  (Powerplay/Penalty Kill guy)

• Love what he does in the assistant capacity. - Benning

What are you looking for in new coach?

• Not sure experience plays that big a role. - Linden

How important is it for new coach to develop players, do you have support of ownership to miss playoffs for maybe next 3 years?

• I've never felt better about the alignment of our organization. - Linden
  • Ownership has always been great, understand what it takes. - Linden
  • If the player earns opportunity the coaches will play him.  Can't fault Willie. - Benning

How much is this management's fault, was Willie given enough tools?

• This falls on everyone but feel things can be done better. - Linden

Was there a philosophical divide between you and Willie going down the stretch?

• No.  As a manager you always evaluate people, had good communication. - Benning
  • At end of day you don't always agree but that's normal for President/GM/Coach. - Linden

If you look at teams with young players that have succeeded Edmonton, Toronto, Columbus.. Would it be fair to bring in young coach or are you looking for a veteran?

• Young coaches are more ready than they used to be, they're good at communicating with young players. - Benning

Will the next coach understand importance of development and will be given green light to live with mistakes of young players?

• In part you have to recognize what players have earned their spot even though they make mistakes.  The other part is every coach wants to win so coach will do what he thinks will help that.  There's a fine line.  - Linden

FUTURE

How do you sell this team going forward?  Last two years you sold it as playoff bound.

Are you honestly going to rebuild as opposed to retool?

• Want to develop young players. When they're ready they will play. - Benning
  • We have a lot of players coming in the next 1 or 2 years, names all the young players on team now. - Benning

-Linden interrupts next question to also answer the rebuild question.

• I'm a lot more optimistic now than any time since I got here. - Linden
  • Call it what you want, we know where we are and where we want to get to.  Added young players and we need to continue down that path. - Linden
  • Impressed by players added and by improvement of young players but a lot of work to do - Linden

Seems this year marked change in priorities of organization, is development priority over winning?

• Our actions have supported a longer term view. - Linden
  • Tried to support lineup with free agency (Eriksson). - Linden
  • We have to bring in players that are NHL ready (Stetcher, Tryamkin).  When Brock comes in next year he has to come in ready to knock door down.  But if player isn't ready then has to start at right place. - Linden

How long until this team is in contention?

• Hard to put time table, you never know how long a player takes to develop. - Linden
  • Have good players but they're not ready right now. - Linden
  • Encouraged but a lot of work to do, need to be patient. - Linden
  • We have no choice, this is the path we're on. - Linden

OTHER TOPICS

Did injuries have a big impact on the season?

• Coming into the season we knew we'd have depth issues.  Can't use injuries as an excuse but need to have more depth in the future.  Can't compete without good players too hard of a league. - Benning
  • We thought we would have a more competitive year. - Benning

How do you handle the Sedins going forward since scoring and power play is so bad? 

• They're still some of our top scorers.  - Benning
  • They're excellent people, have really set example for players (names Tryamkin). - Benning
  • If you look at Henrik he had 50 points, if you put him on a playoff team he'd be a good supportive player on that group.  It's not their fault we haven't been able to find players to help them contribute. - Linden

What philosophy do you have going into the draft?

• No generational player like last couple of years but will be able to get a good player that scores 20-25 goals for many years. - Benning
  • Where we're at we're going to take the best available player, we need a playmaking centre or a true power play defenseman and chance to get one in top 5. - Benning
  • Couple of players in draft can make jump right away but won't have big impact like some players this year. - Benning

Goal scoring will be an issue, will you look to free agency to help with that?

• If we were healthier we would have scored more, will look for more of a role player in free agency. - Benning
  • Going in healthy we knew scoring would be an issue and injuries didn't help. - Linden

What's the message you want your fan base to take forward today?

• I understand skepticism, but more encouraged than have been in last 3 years because he knows they have a future with kids that haven't played yet and some on team now. - Linden
  • It's fun for a young team to grow, it's up to himself and Benning to make that happen. - Linden

OTHER NOTES

• Will resign Horvat before preseason
  • Nobody needs surgery
  • Nobody indicated if they are going to World Cup
  • Want Ryan Miller back
  • Sedins will probably decide their own future year to year

9 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

"We sit up here every bit as responsible as Willie." How come only he was fired then? Scapegoat...

They said this so not to make Willie the scapegoat. They're nice guys who accept responsibility. Why they weren't fired is probably because they don't really deserve to be.

TL and JB have done a great job so far, despite what Tiger Williams (and the many negative people here) may think.

Every good administrator / manager has    hard working coach / employee sitting on the side ready to be fired / blamed as the FALL  guy.

Thats just good management.

Willie knew exactly what he was signing up for.   Played out just as predicted.....

I really want to hear some candid talk on our D.  We have some amazing forward prospects.  But our D cupboard is like a can of corn or two away from being completely empty.

How do they plan to address the regressive tendencies of Edler and Sbisa?  Who are they going to protect on D?  If the Canucks do not get #1 or #2, will they trade down and take another D?

I am so done with Edler. His disinterested play, continuous big mistakes, zero pushback and emotion.

Loved seeing Hutton drop the gloves last night, and you can bet it was because Horvat dropped them game before. I love these new guys. They're wide-eyed, engaged and competitive, and I'm sure they have a lot of fun out there.

Edler just looks miserable, and at his age now, he's not going to get better.

WTF was JB talking about when he said Stecher earned a spot out of training camp and they made room for him?

Somehow I remember Stecher being assigned to Utica before the Canucks opened the season. And then recalled due to injuries. And then Stecher getting reassigned (so they could keep Biega and Larsen), when they had 9 Ds. And then recalled when Tanev went on IR.

How is that earning a spot out of camp?

How is that making room?

Seems like JB's memory is a little selective here.

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

WTF was JB talking about when he said Stecher earned a spot out of training camp and they made room for him?

Somehow I remember Stecher being assigned to Utica before the Canucks opened the season. And then recalled due to injuries. And then Stecher getting reassigned (so they could keep Biega and Larsen), when they had 9 Ds. And then recalled when Tanev went on IR.

How is that earning a spot out of camp?

How is that making room?

Seems like JB's memory is a little selective here.

I heard that too.  :) ill let it slide baby! lil stech is the bomb.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I am so done with Edler. His disinterested play, continuous big mistakes, zero pushback and emotion.

Loved seeing Hutton drop the gloves last night, and you can bet it was because Horvat dropped them game before. I love these new guys. They're wide-eyed, engaged and competitive, and I'm sure they have a lot of fun out there.

Edler just looks miserable, and at his age now, he's not going to get better.

yeah if guddy was in de lineup he would've dropped them as well 

tbh idk what who we should keep: tan man or eddie 

6 minutes ago, xereau said:

I really want to hear some candid talk on our D.  We have some amazing forward prospects.  But our D cupboard is like a can of corn or two away from being completely empty.

How do they plan to address the regressive tendencies of Edler and Sbisa?  Who are they going to protect on D?  If the Canucks do not get #1 or #2, will they trade down and take another D?

Ummm.... we have Juolevi AND of our existing roster, most of them are still years away from their prime.

You don't need a fist full of prospects if your roster is effectively set for the next five years.

As Edler declines, Juolevi should be capable of replacing those minutes.  

Sbisa has just had his best year in his career and is just entering his prime at 27.  He may not replicate this year, but there is not a single sign of "regressive tendencies".  If anything, they worry would be more around Tanev's body falling apart.

Edler-Tanev
Sbisa-Stecher
Hutton-Gudbranson
Juolevi-Tryamkin
Biega-Subban

Not Cup calibre depth... but way ahead of where we are on forward as almost all of those guys have already shown they are NHL players vs. prospects who may or may not work out.

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I heard that too.  :) ill let it slide baby! lil stech is the bomb.

I'm not even mad about how they handled the situation. Understood the reasons at the time. And once Stech was here on his second stint, they gave him plenty of opportunity and he earned the spot and never looked back.

I just don't get why they try sell it as something else.

The truth was fine. Why mess with it?

Archived