The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden & Benning on TSN 1040 - April 10

CanadianRugby

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

If they drop to #5 and Mittelstadt,Vallardi and Patrick and Hischier are off the board expect Lilegren as the pick.

They want an offensive player bad. Either a center or d. But not a winger for sure.

That's what I took out of this. Couple players expected to be NHL ready that Benning mentions is likely the big 3 of Hischier,Patrick, and Vallardi because of his size and hockey IQ.

Nothing newsworthy here. Pretty obvious they have a gaping hole behind Horvat as the future 2C/ 1B Center to support him offensively and get the Canucks wingers Dahlen,Boeser, Goldobin, Baertschi,Granlund the puck.

Also Stecher and Hutton both had good rookie years but neither has a good shot to be that Offensive puck moving d man and qb the pp.

Another note is Benning says an offensive d man is a need to get the forwards going yet ignores Subban and Juolevi obviously he doesn't think they have 40 points a year upside in the NHL consistently.

Picking Liljegren would be a disaster, most overrated high ranked player in this draft imo.

If the Canucks do fall to 5th, I think they trade up for Patrick, Hischier, or Vilardi. 

4 minutes ago, apollo said:

Neither should do another single interview until sutter is signed. 

Throw the cheque book at him. Aquaman's got the real estate gains on our city's back to afford it! 3 years 6 AAV

Do you mean "Brandon, Sutter", the player currently signed by the Canucks through to the end of the 20-21 Season :huh: .

Or some other Sutter?

28 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Yes, let's make sure we keep him on the team so we can insure we can sign some UFAS, wtf lol

I have no problem with moving Edler. He needs to be a #3 or at most a #2 guy at this point in his career. My response was in regards to the lets tie up his girlfriend ( Wife? ) and put her on the train tracks to force him into waiving his NTC.

If Benning can sit down with Edler and go, " Look, this team is not headed up for at least another year, if we brought you a list of teams who may be interested in your services would you consider waiving your NTC for one or two of the teams on that List " , well thats a whole other story, one I myself hope happens this off-season as losing the steady 20-25+ minutes Edlers plays a night would be another step towards a top 5 pick next year as well.

Also Its not just Free Agents, really UFA's of other teams are often highly overrated and overpaid, but when it comes to signing your own home grown talent for decent term and length, that's where being a club that values its players and respects them as people comes into play.

6 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So there is still the delusion from management about trying to prop up the Sedins as go to guys next year with more support. Sad. 

We also kept our PP coach apparently. How the &^@# did he keep his job of all of them?

Linden said they failed to give the Sedins more support in surrounding scoring player...wtf was 6x6 at 36. LINDEN never even mentioned him bit of a head scratcher there.

1 minute ago, ice orca said:

Linden said they failed to give the Sedins more support in surrounding scoring player...wtf was 6x6 at 36. LINDEN never even mentioned him bit of a head scratcher there.

Okay well 6x6 is Loui, #36 was Hansen, who couldn't stop getting injuired . . . .  Which one are you talking about?

Hansen netted Goldobin, who in his last few games once places with the Sedins actually showed well.

Loui was most definitely underwhelming with the Sedins, but that went against every bit of international play the 3 of them had together. here is a thought, their collective bad play may have been just that. This was a down year for all 3, add that together and you get a whole lot of nothing. I thought Loui started to play allot better the last 15 games before his injury.

I will reserve my final judgement until the end of next season. Hopefully next season he gets some steady line mates. If he can be a 20/25 Goal. 20/25 assist player with positive possession numbers and other "Fancy" stats who plays well in all situations, for at least the next 3-4 years, then given the current standard for contracts and the fact that inflation will continue to lessen his over % of the Canucks cap space I would say he can be placed no where near worst UFA status.

He may not make the odd flashy play like a Lucic, or have an on ice persona that deflects away from his stats, but I do think he still has the ability to be an important cog in the Canucks engine going forward.

I agree with what most of TL had to say. Developing players take time and doesn't happen over night. If you have a McDavid, Matthews, etc, your rebuild is complete and you can build around him and get into the playoffs right away if you have enough depth and right linemates to play with him along with some secondary scoring. This might be the year where we get our very own or similar to in Patrick or Hischier. We are well underway and this young core is a year or two away from contending. Would love for the group to make it into the playoffs but its going to be tough. Sedins would have to have a good final potential farewell year as they'd be hungry to make the playoffs next year and would need to have a good bounce back years. If Guddy, Dorsett, potentially Rodin but don't want to put him in unless completely healthy, all stay healthy, we have a good shot of being a playoff team. We're not going to be an easy out considering the work ethic every player puts in game in and game out. We would push the team we're facing to its limits and keep the series going as long as possible. I would love to see Marky take the next step and see how he handles a workload. Millsy has been great but age is not in his favour but it would be good to have him back around in a backup role maybe just to ease Marky into being the guy in net. Boeser, Goldy, Bo, Baer, Granny, Tram, Stecher, Hutty are the foundation of this team going forward and they're going to be key contributors. Sedins should be playing less minutes and in a 2nd/3rd line capacity should do them wonders as they aren't getting any younger. Excited for the future and what the kids will bring next season as they'll be motivated and hungry to win knowing they'll have a new coach. 

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

WTF was JB talking about when he said Stecher earned a spot out of training camp and they made room for him?

Somehow I remember Stecher being assigned to Utica before the Canucks opened the season. And then recalled due to injuries. And then Stecher getting reassigned (so they could keep Biega and Larsen), when they had 9 Ds. And then recalled when Tanev went on IR.

How is that earning a spot out of camp?

How is that making room?

Seems like JB's memory is a little selective here.

Well...like and stuff. 

1 hour ago, R35Godz1lla said:

Do you mean "Brandon, Sutter", the player currently signed by the Canucks through to the end of the 20-21 Season :huh: .

Or some other Sutter?

I was referring to Daryll sutter as our new coach! Can't extend Brandon lol :P

8 hours ago, awalk said:

When's the next draft with a generation player? Don't see this team anywhere but bottom feeding for another couple seasons, or even a way to overhaul the lineup to make that happen. Patience, lots of it :s 

The draft after this one.  Swedish defenseman getting compared to Nick Lidstrom.  Hoping for the top pick next year!  I'll take top 2 this draft :P 

7 hours ago, R35Godz1lla said:

Now that that process is finally almost done and the actions at this years Trade Deadline did seem to signal that the true "Re-Build" has started they simply don't want to give the media vipers who ignored the plan that Linden and Benning outlined from day one and instead of objectively discussing the moves being made, spewed putrid negativity and toxic panic inducing hysteria of each and every move unless it fit their pre-determined views of the perfect re-build " AKA Toronto is dah best, durr " .

What in the actual hell are you talking about?  I guess you missed the multiple interviews where management said the plan has changed?  They were actively trying to win for the first 2 years.  Now they're trying to rebuild because they've exhausted every option to succeed at winning with the old vets.  There will be no signings of guys like Vrbata or Eriksson, there will be no trading away of draft picks.  It's a new chapter, not a continuation of an old one.  Trading away picks for players to make immediate impact was not part of some grand rebuilding scheme for 3-4 years from now. 

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's shameless, the level of them trolling, gloating fools. Media's evolved into a f***ing disease.

Why is it that Spector is a "troll" for pointing out facts that our team is awful, which BTW he is not wrong about and it's his job.  Yet John Garrett isn't ridiculed for picking the Canucks to win the cup every year?  Turn down your homer dial a bit so there can be an objective conversation in here. 

37 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

What in the actual hell are you talking about?  I guess you missed the multiple interviews where management said the plan has changed?  They were actively trying to win for the first 2 years.  Now they're trying to rebuild because they've exhausted every option to succeed at winning with the old vets.  There will be no signings of guys like Vrbata or Eriksson, there will be no trading away of draft picks.  It's a new chapter, not a continuation of an old one.  Trading away picks for players to make immediate impact was not part of some grand rebuilding scheme for 3-4 years from now.

Ahhhh, I see, your a Leafs fan. You're a member of the, you either win it all or you blatantly tank for Matthews brigade.

In the first two years of Benning's time as GM what was the majority age-group, was it maybe over 26? :rolleyes: . What prospects did we have? Horvat and? Um, Jensen???

Yah the fanbase would have loved to hear that from day one they where going to enact a scorched earth policy and vets be damned. Never mind that half the team had full NTC's, but why let facts get in the way. Of course they where going to try and win, what other option did they have? I guess they could have signed no one, been meh and drafted 15'the for 2 years, sure let's go with that.

Even if they had traded Hamhuis ( we all know that saga ) and lost the last 3 games last year we may still have ended up picking 4'the, possibly still chosing a player who would play this year in juniors even if it wasn't OJ.

So it was a swing and a miss with Vey, but who knew his dad was going to jail, maybe we don't sign vrbatta, I mean, we still probably make the playoffs that first-year, I guess we go with Bonino and his fancy stats instead of Sutter? Maybe we keep " it is what it is McCant?" . Seeing as the only Benning draft pick not still developing is groo, I mean Tryamkin ( and even he has lots of room to sprout, I mean grow ) I don't think we missed the next Datsyuk or Zetterburg with one of those traded away picks and even with that said, there are a number of possible late round steals currently ino the NCAA. Never mind picks like Breisbois(sp?) who seem like potential NHL players. If in 2 years one of the draft picks Benning traded away turns into the next Jamie Benn I still won't be crying as you just never know for certain what a player will ammount to.

So any changing of tune in my mind was a pandering of the slow witted fan who needs to hear the words re-build like that makes everything better, as if somehow not calling it a " re-build " doomes the team to failure, the very thing they technically want, a team build to lose, hmmmm, how about that.

Given the players, their contracts and the prospect situation when Benning took over, even if he had drafted one of Nylander/Ehlers and taken Chuckles last draft all we would have is a team poised to maybe be 8'the seed, Benning is building a solid team back to front, that takes time are there are no quick fixes.

9 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

If Doug Jarvis is in charge of special teams, why are we keeping him? Our PP was 29th in the league and our PK was 28th. Willie's deployment obviously plays a role in that but it's something I just don't understand. 

the new coach will have the final "option" on weather jarvis sticks,

he is still a valuable hockey mind in a support role, the powerplay isn't much to brag about though

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

Listening to Linden's comments regarding experience, and Benning's regarding young coaches stepping up to the NHL - I'm more and more convinced that they're leaning towards promoting Green - even if they submit it to due process - and wait before they tip their hand, perhaps in part to the distraction it may cause Utica.

But I think it is very clear that they are quite open to promoting Green.

I'll be somewhat surprised if that isn't what happens.

that's what i got also

all of their descriptions of what they might be looking for in a future coach described greens situation to a tee

17 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

WTF was JB talking about when he said Stecher earned a spot out of training camp and they made room for him?

Somehow I remember Stecher being assigned to Utica before the Canucks opened the season. And then recalled due to injuries. And then Stecher getting reassigned (so they could keep Biega and Larsen), when they had 9 Ds. And then recalled when Tanev went on IR.

How is that earning a spot out of camp?

How is that making room?

Seems like JB's memory is a little selective here.

Lol I wondered too. No opportunity was given to a young player really until injuries forced it.

18 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/linden-it-s-hard-when-you-re-29th-encouraged-by-where-canucks-are-1.720814

COACHING

In what ways did Willie fall short as a coach?

• He's a great person, great character. - Linden
  • Decision based on the need to make change. - Linden
  • There's some areas that can be improved on. - Linden

Why retain Doug Jarvis?  (Powerplay/Penalty Kill guy)

• Love what he does in the assistant capacity. - Benning

What are you looking for in new coach?

• Not sure experience plays that big a role. - Linden

How important is it for new coach to develop players, do you have support of ownership to miss playoffs for maybe next 3 years?

• I've never felt better about the alignment of our organization. - Linden
  • Ownership has always been great, understand what it takes. - Linden
  • If the player earns opportunity the coaches will play him.  Can't fault Willie. - Benning

How much is this management's fault, was Willie given enough tools?

• This falls on everyone but feel things can be done better. - Linden

Was there a philosophical divide between you and Willie going down the stretch?

• No.  As a manager you always evaluate people, had good communication. - Benning
  • At end of day you don't always agree but that's normal for President/GM/Coach. - Linden

If you look at teams with young players that have succeeded Edmonton, Toronto, Columbus.. Would it be fair to bring in young coach or are you looking for a veteran?

• Young coaches are more ready than they used to be, they're good at communicating with young players. - Benning

Will the next coach understand importance of development and will be given green light to live with mistakes of young players?

• In part you have to recognize what players have earned their spot even though they make mistakes.  The other part is every coach wants to win so coach will do what he thinks will help that.  There's a fine line.  - Linden

FUTURE

How do you sell this team going forward?  Last two years you sold it as playoff bound.

Are you honestly going to rebuild as opposed to retool?

• Want to develop young players. When they're ready they will play. - Benning
  • We have a lot of players coming in the next 1 or 2 years, names all the young players on team now. - Benning

-Linden interrupts next question to also answer the rebuild question.

• I'm a lot more optimistic now than any time since I got here. - Linden
  • Call it what you want, we know where we are and where we want to get to.  Added young players and we need to continue down that path. - Linden
  • Impressed by players added and by improvement of young players but a lot of work to do - Linden

Seems this year marked change in priorities of organization, is development priority over winning?

• Our actions have supported a longer term view. - Linden
  • Tried to support lineup with free agency (Eriksson). - Linden
  • We have to bring in players that are NHL ready (Stetcher, Tryamkin).  When Brock comes in next year he has to come in ready to knock door down.  But if player isn't ready then has to start at right place. - Linden

How long until this team is in contention?

• Hard to put time table, you never know how long a player takes to develop. - Linden
  • Have good players but they're not ready right now. - Linden
  • Encouraged but a lot of work to do, need to be patient. - Linden
  • We have no choice, this is the path we're on. - Linden

OTHER TOPICS

Did injuries have a big impact on the season?

• Coming into the season we knew we'd have depth issues.  Can't use injuries as an excuse but need to have more depth in the future.  Can't compete without good players too hard of a league. - Benning
  • We thought we would have a more competitive year. - Benning

How do you handle the Sedins going forward since scoring and power play is so bad? 

• They're still some of our top scorers.  - Benning
  • They're excellent people, have really set example for players (names Tryamkin). - Benning
  • If you look at Henrik he had 50 points, if you put him on a playoff team he'd be a good supportive player on that group.  It's not their fault we haven't been able to find players to help them contribute. - Linden

What philosophy do you have going into the draft?

• No generational player like last couple of years but will be able to get a good player that scores 20-25 goals for many years. - Benning
  • Where we're at we're going to take the best available player, we need a playmaking centre or a true power play defenseman and chance to get one in top 5. - Benning
  • Couple of players in draft can make jump right away but won't have big impact like some players this year. - Benning

Goal scoring will be an issue, will you look to free agency to help with that?

• If we were healthier we would have scored more, will look for more of a role player in free agency. - Benning
  • Going in healthy we knew scoring would be an issue and injuries didn't help. - Linden

What's the message you want your fan base to take forward today?

• I understand skepticism, but more encouraged than have been in last 3 years because he knows they have a future with kids that haven't played yet and some on team now. - Linden
  • It's fun for a young team to grow, it's up to himself and Benning to make that happen. - Linden

OTHER NOTES

• Will resign Horvat before preseason
  • Nobody needs surgery
  • Nobody indicated if they are going to World Cup
  • Want Ryan Miller back
  • Sedins will probably decide their own future year to year

Not a very good endorsement for JB (see red).

Archived