The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden & Benning on TSN 1040 - April 10

CanadianRugby

23 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Lol I wondered too. No opportunity was given to a young player really until injuries forced it.

Yep. And same thing kinda goes for JB's comments on Tryamkin. Another guy who apparently just played his way in. As if injuries weren't even a factor.

Not saying Tryamkin didn't earn his spot. He most definitely did. One of the biggest positive stories this season.

But would Tryamkin (or Stecher) have even gotten the opportunity without key injuries to our top-6 D?

And when I say top-6 D, I mean the guys coaching and management considered our top-6 defensemen at the start of 2016-17 (Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson, Hutton, Sbisa, Larsen). That chart has certainly shifted after what Stecher and Tryamkin showed this season (as well as some disappointing performances from some members of our opening night top-6 D).

Have to wonder if Tryamkin would have even played this season if we'd stayed healthy on D? Certainly not 66 games. 

It's as if JB wants a big pat on the back for playing the young guys. But they only really got into the lineup when injuries necessitated it. Not because JB made room for anyone.

Unless Benning is responsible for the injuries? In that case, he did a great job making room for young players this season. Arguably the best at it in the league (going by mangames lost to injuries). ;) 

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yep. And same thing kinda goes for JB's comments on Tryamkin. Another guy who apparently just played his way in. As if injuries weren't even a factor.

Not saying Tryamkin didn't earn his spot. He most definitely did. One of the biggest positive stories this season.

But would Tryamkin (or Stecher) have even gotten the opportunity without key injuries to our top-6 D?

And when I say top-6 D, I mean the guys coaching and management considered our top-6 defensemen at the start of 2016-17 (Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson, Hutton, Sbisa, Larsen). That chart has certainly shifted after what Stecher and Tryamkin showed this season (as well as some disappointing performances from some members of our opening night top-6 D).

Have to wonder if Tryamkin would have even played this season if we'd stayed healthy on D? Certainly not 66 games. 

It's as if JB wants a big pat on the back for playing the young guys. But they only really got into the lineup when injuries necessitated it. Not because JB made room for anyone.

Unless Benning is responsible for the injuries? In that case, he did a great job making room for young players this season. Arguably the best at it in the league (going by mangames lost to injuries). ;) 

Lol epic

They tried to play chicken withTryamkin trying to get him to go to the AHL. Had they forced that to keep Larsen, it is very likely Tryamkin would have just gone back to Russia. 

Room wasnt made for any rookie so Benning is kind of full of crap on that.

9 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

The draft after this one.  Swedish defenseman getting compared to Nick Lidstrom.  Hoping for the top pick next year!  I'll take top 2 this draft :P 

What in the actual hell are you talking about?  I guess you missed the multiple interviews where management said the plan has changed?  They were actively trying to win for the first 2 years.  Now they're trying to rebuild because they've exhausted every option to succeed at winning with the old vets.  There will be no signings of guys like Vrbata or Eriksson, there will be no trading away of draft picks.  It's a new chapter, not a continuation of an old one.  Trading away picks for players to make immediate impact was not part of some grand rebuilding scheme for 3-4 years from now. 

Why is it that Spector is a "troll" for pointing out facts that our team is awful, which BTW he is not wrong about and it's his job.  Yet John Garrett isn't ridiculed for picking the Canucks to win the cup every year?  Turn down your homer dial a bit so there can be an objective conversation in here. 

Ah yes, Rasmus Dahlin right?  16 year old from WJ's this year 

17 hours ago, oldnews said:

Listening to Linden's comments regarding experience, and Benning's regarding young coaches stepping up to the NHL - I'm more and more convinced that they're leaning towards promoting Green - even if they submit it to due process - and wait before they tip their hand, perhaps in part to the distraction it may cause Utica.

But I think it is very clear that they are quite open to promoting Green.

I'll be somewhat surprised if that isn't what happens.

The underlying message was this...Green will be the next coach.

21 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nice haha.

Honestly, I would like to think that Injuries simply made the process of inserting Stecher and Tryamkin into the lineup all that much easier. Benning may well have had plans in place to make the room and thanks to the aforementioned injuries did not have to go through with said plans. We will never know.

He has shown a desire to make the team younger ( something he has in fact done, the average age of the team us under 26 now is it not? ) and a willingness to at least somewhat let the team live and die on the progress of the rookies ( Hutton, Stecher, Tryamkin, Boeser, Etc. ) so who knows.

Really I feel as if this last Trade Deadline is the true start of the Benning Era. Going forward, we have the Sedins ( for 1 more year, then who knows? They might possibly come back on 1 Year Contracts at a time possibly ), Edler ( Who I feel is not long for the Canucks Sweater ) Tanev ( Who also hopefully gets moved once a few more D prospects make the jump to the NHL ) and then who? Really the rest of the team are Benning players minus Bo and Hutton who where Gillis picks. Lets see what he can do with a top 5 pick this year and hopefully next.

After the presser, I'm left wondering what ownership is thinking.  They cannot be happy with 2 consecutive lousy seasons and must be wondering if Linden & Benning are the management team to rebuild the Canucks.  Personally, I would like to hear more from Acquilini...to assure us that they are on the same page as managment.    

12 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

Nice haha.

Honestly, I would like to think that Injuries simply made the process of inserting Stecher and Tryamkin into the lineup all that much easier. Benning may well have had plans in place to make the room and thanks to the aforementioned injuries did not have to go through with said plans. We will never know.

He has shown a desire to make the team younger ( something he has in fact done, the average age of the team us under 26 now is it not? ) and a willingness to at least somewhat let the team live and die on the progress of the rookies ( Hutton, Stecher, Tryamkin, Boeser, Etc. ) so who knows.

Really I feel as if this last Trade Deadline is the true start of the Benning Era. Going forward, we have the Sedins ( for 1 more year, then who knows? They might possibly come back on 1 Year Contracts at a time possibly ), Edler ( Who I feel is not long for the Canucks Sweater ) Tanev ( Who also hopefully gets moved once a few more D prospects make the jump to the NHL ) and then who? Really the rest of the team are Benning players minus Bo and Hutton who where Gillis picks. Lets see what he can do with a top 5 pick this year and hopefully next.

I don't disagree with your idea that both Tanev and Edler will ultimately be moved. Whichever one is not moved by the Vegas draft will likely play another 3 seasons in Van. I say that as a vet d-man will be needed.

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't disagree with your idea that both Tanev and Edler will ultimately be moved. Whichever one is not moved by the Vegas draft will likely play another 3 seasons in Van. I say that as a vet d-man will be needed.

If Tanev's body can sustain his current level of play for the next 3 years I would have no problem with him being the senior player on defense until such time as Stecher, OJ, Hutton, Tryamkin, ( Quads if he can be the player I hope he can ) and whoever else from the prospect pool / future drafts can take over the Gauntlet of leadership and responsibility.

I like Sbisa, but I feel like he is possibly redundant, Tryamkin and Quads can handle the physical play, Stecher is the little engine that could, Hutton has really started to show some snarl and his confidence seemed to be returning in the last 25 games of this season. So really with players like OJ, Brisebois, possibly McEneny and whoever else emerges I think for even just the cap space one of Edler/Tanev and Sbisa need to go. Hell even just to make sure there is a spot for new players to work for.

Now Vegas may make the issue of Sbisa go away, who knows, will have to wait and see what happens there I guess.

24 minutes ago, Zedlee said:

After the presser, I'm left wondering what ownership is thinking.  They cannot be happy with 2 consecutive lousy seasons and must be wondering if Linden & Benning are the management team to rebuild the Canucks.  Personally, I would like to hear more from Acquilini...to assure us that they are on the same page as managment.    

Aquaman is not a hockey mind and he lets his management take care of things... as poor of a job as Linden is doing, it's all on him. Aquaman has given him full power.

59 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

There are so many here that don't want to believe in this reality.

3 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

If Tanev's body can sustain his current level of play for the next 3 years I would have no problem with him being the senior player on defense until such time as Stecher, OJ, Hutton, Tryamkin, ( Quads if he can be the player I hope he can ) and whoever else from the prospect pool / future drafts can take over the Gauntlet of leadership and responsibility.

I like Sbisa, but I feel like he is possibly redundant, Tryamkin and Quads can handle the physical play, Stecher is the little engine that could, Hutton has really started to show some snarl and his confidence seemed to be returning in the last 25 games of this season. So really with players like OJ, Brisebois, possibly McEneny and whoever else emerges I think for even just the cap space one of Edler/Tanev and Sbisa need to go. Hell even just to make sure there is a spot for new players to work for.

Now Vegas may make the issue of Sbisa go away, who knows, will have to wait and see what happens there I guess.

Your comment about Hutton's snare sure is appropriate. He seemed to want to make a statement with his scrap in Edmonton. Horvat started it and Hutton joined. Noted that Shorty said Hutton was playing at 207 pounds. That is a big gain from 186 pounds when he broke in. It strikes me that Hutton is more calculating about his prep than the grin suggests. I like his future.   

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Your comment about Hutton's snare sure is appropriate. He seemed to want to make a statement with his scrap in Edmonton. Horvat started it and Hutton joined. Noted that Shorty said Hutton was playing at 207 pounds. That is a big gain from 186 pounds when he broke in. It strikes me that Hutton is more calculating about his prep than the grin suggests. I like his future.   

Horvat's scrap was a joke, basically. Two buddies throwing as if to protect each other and their hands.

And Hutton's faking of being aggressive, in any regard, is false advertising. He is as soft a Dman as you can find. If we trade one young player, I hope he's it.

Just now, Boudrias said:

He has a bit of Karlsson in his game, to all, please take note that I said a "Bit" lol.

His ability to navigate in traffic around and below the net and the ability he started to show, making those quick decisions in the O-Zone to jump on a loose puck ( sometimes even driving to the net ) have me wondering what he may grow into. Burns didn't break out for quite a few seasons even after making it as a regular NHL'er, again, not saying Hutton will ever be Burns, I don't think he could grow a mountain man beard if he tried ;).

If Hutton can be a consistent 25-35 point #2 PP, second pair guy that would be fantastic, provided he can be solid 5v5 and play a clean game,  getting puck's out of the zone and to a forward instead of the standard off the glass or around the far boards move that lots of Canucks defense men in times passed seem to far to-oft resort too.

36 minutes ago, Zedlee said:

Usually rebuilding and playing lousy go hand in hand. It would make zero sense to fire Trev and Jim. They're doing exactly what they said they would, younger and faster. Plus draft day is a hundred times better in the Benning era. I'm not sure why your wondering this...

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Horvat's scrap was a joke, basically. Two buddies throwing as if to protect each other and their hands.

And Hutton's faking of being aggressive, in any regard, is false advertising. He is as soft a Dman as you can find. If we trade one young player, I hope he's it.

Your a soft joke. 

41 minutes ago, Zedlee said:

So his tweet where he stated that he accepts that the the path to a competitive team is not a quick nor easy one didn't do anything for you?

5 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

:huh: . . . Sure, okay. Why don't we just relocate the team to Seattle, seems like that would suite you just fine as I don't think I have ever read a positive comment about a Canuck player come from you. Now, if being the Devils advocate is your thing you are doing you to a T.

5 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

At least I can spell.

The "proper" reply would have been, Ahem . . .

At least I can use the proper punctuation and grammar required to constructing my sentences.

As Camel Toe can spell just fine.

The more you know. knowing.jpg

Just now, R35Godz1lla said:

So his tweet where he stated that he accepts that the the path to a competitive team is not a quick nor easy one didn't do anything for you?

:huh: . . . Sure, okay. Why don't we just relocate the team to Seattle, seems like that would suite you just fine as I don't think I have ever read a positive comment about a Canuck player come from you. Now, if being the Devils advocate is your thing you are doing you to a T.

Let's be honest then, if you can handle some truth?

Was the fight between Horvat and Nurse an intense, I'm trying to hurt you, fight? No. Not even a little. In fact, if you look close, you can see Nurse mention to Bo that they should put on a show, or something to that effect, before they drop the gloves. It was acting.

As For Hutton's scrap, what do you think he yelled over at the other guy while they were in the box, I bet it was "thanks for not beating on me". All he did was hold on and the other guy completely held back. Nobody even skinned a knuckle.

Getting in a fight doesn't mean you are a fighter or mad, its for show, on these two occasions.

I rarely comment about players actually, I comment on the management quite a bit, so your comment could be true, in a way.

After listening to Linden yesterday and then watching the Sedins in the exit meetings today. I come away think to myself that once their careers are over I wonder if they could replace Linden.

they would get my vote.

Archived