The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden & Benning on TSN 1040 - April 10

CanadianRugby

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yep. And same thing kinda goes for JB's comments on Tryamkin. Another guy who apparently just played his way in. As if injuries weren't even a factor.

Not saying Tryamkin didn't earn his spot. He most definitely did. One of the biggest positive stories this season.

What are you saying then Sid?   That they should have went with 5 D until Tryamkin was ready, to 'prove' to folks like yourself that their intention was to have him in the lineup?

Honestly, I think you guys are trying to hard to find dishonesty there.

There was a pretty clear distinction drawn by Linden between Tryamkin - and Stecher (and Hutton).

Tyamkin was pencilled into the lineup after last season imo, but wasn't quite fit - no mystery there regarding what happened.

Stecher on the other hand wasn't expected to come in and command a spot (and neither was Hutton the year before).  Neither had never played a single professional game. However, four games in Utica - spots are already opening up on the Canucks blueline and Stecher gets recalled.  But, um, the Canucks spent a 5th round pick on a role player / lottery ticket so clearly they never 'intended' to create a spot for Stecher.  That stuff is tedious tbh.  They didn't expect Stecher to be ready so quickly.

You guys can assign whatever narrative you want to it - "they didn't really open a spot - injuries did" - as if that is what really matters.

Four games into Stecher's professional career he was recalled and has played 20 minutes a night since - 35 times this year he topped the 20 minute mark.

Honestly, these attempts to read-in an 'accidental' prospect/player - as if they hadn't gone out and signed Stecher in the first place - I suppose it might help qualify that Canucksarmy type mindset - that you're 'smarter' than management - something JamesB certain maintains regularly - but I think you guys are trying too hard.

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Let's be honest then, if you can handle some truth?

Was the fight between Horvat and Nurse an intense, I'm trying to hurt you, fight? No. Not even a little. In fact, if you look close, you can see Nurse mention to Bo that they should put on a show, or something to that effect, before they drop the gloves. It was acting.

As For Hutton's scrap, what do you think he yelled over at the other guy while they were in the box, I bet it was "thanks for not beating on me". All he did was hold on and the other guy completely held back. Nobody even skinned a knuckle.

Getting in a fight doesn't mean you are a fighter or mad, its for show, on these two occasions.

I rarely comment about players actually, I comment on the management quite a bit, so your comment could be true, in a way.

My comment about Hutton's newly emerging Snarl actually had nothing to do with his fight.

Not exactly sure why you are bringing up Bo either, his game will never be a knuckle dragging, if I cant score ill punch your teeth out kind of style. He will run guys over with sheer desire to get the puck to the net and I am sure he will stick up for himself and for his teammates, but his role is not that of meat tenderizer.

Hutton hit a sophomore slump to start the year, the whole team did. What I enjoyed seeing from Hutton as the year went on was a player who seemed to give a damn each and every shift ( well almost every shift, he is Human after all, hard to be motivated when its a 3+ goal deficit ) he started to push guys back a bit more each game, started to get chippie ( in a good way ) and even started trying to lay the body on guys more and more and if what was mentioned earlier is true that he has gained around 20 pounds from his first NHL game to now, that to me shows he has a desire to grow as a player. Not sure how anyone could dislike any of that, but then here you are.

33 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

My comment about Hutton's newly emerging Snarl actually had nothing to do with his fight.

Not exactly sure why you are bringing up Bo either, his game will never be a knuckle dragging, if I cant score ill punch your teeth out kind of style. He will run guys over with sheer desire to get the puck to the net and I am sure he will stick up for himself and for his teammates, but his role is not that of meat tenderizer.

Hutton hit a sophomore slump to start the year, the whole team did. What I enjoyed seeing from Hutton as the year went on was a player who seemed to give a damn each and every shift ( well almost every shift, he is Human after all, hard to be motivated when its a 3+ goal deficit ) he started to push guys back a bit more each game, started to get chippie ( in a good way ) and even started trying to lay the body on guys more and more and if what was mentioned earlier is true that he has gained around 20 pounds from his first NHL game to now, that to me shows he has a desire to grow as a player. Not sure how anyone could dislike any of that, but then here you are.

Your assessment of Hutton is your own opinion, as is mine.

If you think he's a big, snarling, body-laying, chippy D, have at it. The degree to which you believe these things is yours to enjoy, I don't care to debate it. I remain hopeful that he is traded for an upgrade to the small top 6. 

Thanks for the summary on Bo Horvat's game and style (Captain O). I don't want him fighting, staged or not. 

7 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Your assessment of Hutton is your own opinion, as is mine.

If you think he's a big, snarling, body-laying, chippy D, have at it. The degree to which you believe these things is yours to enjoy, I don't care to debate it. I remain hopeful that he is traded for an upgrade to the small top 6. 

Thanks for the summary on Bo Horvat's game and style (Captain O). I don't want him fighting, staged or not. 

At the end of the day his performance will either prove one of us or neither of us correct and maybe we will never be able to say for certain what type of player Hutton is, there are enigmatic players all around the league who never seem to commit to one style of play and continually tease us with glimpses of more.

If he is traded for a upgrade to out top six I wont loose any sleep over it, provided the return has realized results.

Also, not sure how to take your last sentence, was that pure sarcasm or a genuine sentiment mixed with just a little bit of sass?

Whatever the case, I completely agree with you on not wanting to see Bo fighting. Unless its a Stecher getting jumped by a goon scenario, I want Bo staying as far away from 5 minute time outs as possible.

14 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Did you see Benning at the presser?  He looked like he hadn't slept in days.   

Yes, I agree that is how he looked. Despite the attempt at the presser to be upbeat, this has been a tough year for Benning.And the last few days have probably hit him hard.

2 hours ago, R35Godz1lla said:

He has a bit of Karlsson in his game, to all, please take note that I said a "Bit" lol.

His ability to navigate in traffic around and below the net and the ability he started to show, making those quick decisions in the O-Zone to jump on a loose puck ( sometimes even driving to the net ) have me wondering what he may grow into. Burns didn't break out for quite a few seasons even after making it as a regular NHL'er, again, not saying Hutton will ever be Burns, I don't think he could grow a mountain man beard if he tried ;).

If Hutton can be a consistent 25-35 point #2 PP, second pair guy that would be fantastic, provided he can be solid 5v5 and play a clean game,  getting puck's out of the zone and to a forward instead of the standard off the glass or around the far boards move that lots of Canucks defense men in times passed seem to far to-oft resort too.

Many fans have long faces as the season ends. I never considered this a playoff contending roster so my season was more focused on the development of the young players. That considered I am pretty happy. Hutton went through a tough stretch but pulled out and ended strong. That says something about character.

Your point about Hutton's potential offensive upside is well taken. The Canuck FO % was better this year and that had to help the d-core. Their ability to move the puck out of the d-zone was improved. When considering next year I question what impact an improvement in team offence would have on the Canuck d-core. It has to help. With so many 1 goal games the need for more risky plays cost increased pressure on the d-core and increased GA.  IMHO McDavid's season helped the Oiler d-core in a major way.  Not just less pressure in the d-zone but greater ability to join the offense up ice. A change like that in Van helps Hutton, Stecher and Edler throw up bigger ppg. I'm not suggesting Van has a McDavid lurking on the bench but I doubt the GF next year are as bad as this year.

16 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Many fans have long faces as the season ends. I never considered this a playoff contending roster so my season was more focused on the development of the young players. That considered I am pretty happy. Hutton went through a tough stretch but pulled out and ended strong. That says something about character.

Your point about Hutton's potential offensive upside is well taken. The Canuck FO % was better this year and that had to help the d-core. Their ability to move the puck out of the d-zone was improved. When considering next year I question what impact an improvement in team offence would have on the Canuck d-core. It has to help. With so many 1 goal games the need for more risky plays cost increased pressure on the d-core and increased GA.  IMHO McDavid's season helped the Oiler d-core in a major way.  Not just less pressure in the d-zone but greater ability to join the offense up ice. A change like that in Van helps Hutton, Stecher and Edler throw up bigger ppg.

I honestly can't begin to count the number of bad pinches in the O-zone that lead to a 2v1 the other way and the in turn the nail in the coffin 2 goal lead, with 2-5 minutes left in the third this year. That more than anything else was painful to watch.

I can handle a 2-1 or a 3-2 loss. Those games are often hard fought, could have gone either way matches, but this year it seemed that by about game 40 or so, the Canucks stopped believing they could tie the game up late, it was only after they would go down by 2 goals that they would loosen up and seem to get one, but with like 20 seconds left.

I hate to do it, but I place that blame more on Willie than any single player. The coach can dictate the mood on the bench and by using the proper players at the proper times, can hopefully fire the team up to push for a tying goal. AKA: NO! to Megera, Shampoo, Bulldog in the last 2 minutes.

Yes we lacked depth and skill, but even during the Nonis era the team could trap out a 2-1 win. Willie seemed at time like he wanted the team to play an uptempo, push the offence style but then it seemed like he would continually tap the brakes. It's as though he couldn't make up his mind as to what type of team identity he wanted. I think that was his biggest downfall, he wanted to be a Vet dominant team that "Led the way by example!" but due to injuries and the need to bring our young players along was forced to play allot of rookies. Players who would have probably done better attempting to outscore opponents ( Yes, Yes, like Toronto :sick: ) 

Let Goldobin exit the D-zone early and hail marry him some passes, at least if we lost it would be entertaining. Yes, the young guys need to learn to play a 200.FT game, but don't stifle creativity, encourage growth in all areas of the game.

So back to the player at hand, Hutton. I think what he was able to do with his season despite the conflicting team identity, lack of forward possession skill and multiple injuries to all positions is a testament to as you mentioned, his "Real Gud Character" .

Hopefully he and other like him Re: Stecher, Boeser, Horvat, Sven, Tryamkin, continue this upwards trajectory as the new tight knit core of this team.

3 hours ago, Zedlee said:

After the presser, I'm left wondering what ownership is thinking.  They cannot be happy with 2 consecutive lousy seasons and must be wondering if Linden & Benning are the management team to rebuild the Canucks.  Personally, I would like to hear more from Acquilini...to assure us that they are on the same page as managment.    

Not to mention what will happen next year, and then the year after once the Sedins are gone.

3 hours ago, Zedlee said:

After the presser, I'm left wondering what ownership is thinking.  They cannot be happy with 2 consecutive lousy seasons and must be wondering if Linden & Benning are the management team to rebuild the Canucks.  Personally, I would like to hear more from Acquilini...to assure us that they are on the same page as managment.    

Hmmmmmm

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Not to mention what will happen next year, and then the year after once the Sedins are gone.

I already touched on this previously, but I think the ownership knows there is no quick fix at this point.

This is no longer a team with prime age players that you can simply add trade deadline acquisitions and Sign Free Agents to and keep things rolling.  

Management and I believe ownership knows that there is a massive need to bring along the new draft picks ( Boeser, OJ, this years top pick, even Virtanen ) and successful reclamation projects ( Sven, Granlund, Quads ) , to sign quality College Free Agents ( Stecher, maybe Molino )  and to get the best out of the more Veteran players we have who will still be here, even after the Sedins retire ( Loui, Sutter, Tanev, Guddy ) if this team has a hope in hell of not being Edomton oilers 2.0. ( minus the Generational McJesus thanks to the new draft rules put in place because of said team <_< )

This is a team fighting to figure out its identity going forward, I actually think that only once the Sedins retire will we see the new core truly take over and begin to write their own story of success.

1 minute ago, R35Godz1lla said:

I already touched on this previously, but I think the ownership knows there is no quick fix at this point.

This is no longer a team with prime age players that you can simply add trade deadline acquisitions and Sign Free Agents to and keep things rolling.  

Management and I believe ownership knows that there is a massive need to bring along the new draft picks ( Boeser, OJ, this years top pick, even Virtanen ) and successful reclamation projects ( Sven, Granlund, Quads ) , to sign quality College Free Agents ( Stecher, maybe Molino )  and to get the best out of the more Veteran players we have who will still be here, even after the Sedins retire ( Loui, Sutter, Tanev, Guddy ) if this team has a hope in hell of not being Edomton oilers 2.0. ( minus the Generational McJesus thanks to the new draft rules put in place because of said team <_< )

This is a team fighting to figure out its identity going forward, I actually think that only once the Sedins retire will we see the new core truly take over and begin to write their own story of success.

Yep, we haven't seen rock bottom yet...unless, JB can acquire some stud forwards once the Sedins are gone.

12 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Yep, we haven't seen rock bottom yet...unless, JB can acquire some stud forwards once the Sedins are gone.

Honestly I think we have :huh: , we may repeat this season next year ( #2 or #3 draft slot ) but I can't see us being Colorado bad.

They had worse structure, worse compete, horrible goal tending and historically poor offence from all their players, they set NHL record of how bad a team can be :blink: .

We have a group of youngster all on the rise, say what you will about Benning trying to insulate the age gap with quick fixes, but I feel it has brought the rookies along without them having to jump right into the fire that is being the go to guys night in and night out. It has made them better and will make for a team that competes hard every game. We where starting to see that in the last 1/3 of the games this year, they may have lost most nights ( every night near the end ) but they sure tried damn hard.

The skill will come and having a growing culture of desire, sheer will to win and heart to do it with, I feel that the skill will be amplified. Its what makes teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago winners, where as teams like the NYR, or Sharks just can't seem to get to that next level. Even last year with the Sharks coming close, Pittsburgh willed its way to that cup.

I don't see a ton more goals next year, but I do think GA will drop significantly.

1 hour ago, R35Godz1lla said:

but I feel it has brought the rookies along without them having to jump right into the fire that is being the go to guys night in and night out.

McCann? Virtanen?

Both these guys were shoved into the NHL too early because Benning didn't add any depth to the team. He let depth guys like Matthias and Richardson walk for nothing (both of whom had good years and could have been flipped at the next deadline) and then when we ran into the inevitable injuries, we had McCann and Vey playing center.

18 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

McCann? Virtanen?

Both these guys were shoved into the NHL too early because Benning didn't add any depth to the team. He let depth guys like Matthias and Richardson walk for nothing (both of whom had good years and could have been flipped at the next deadline) and then when we ran into the inevitable injuries, we had McCann and Vey playing center.

Letting Richardson go was a huge mistake, Matthias wanted the $$$, and good for him he got it.

Not every decision of Bennings has been the correct one. However, at least in McCann's case, I don't think a single Canucks fan thought he should be anywhere but the team after the first 20 or so games, it was the final 50 games that showed why he was traded. He had the bravado, but not the ability to play consistent night in and night out. I do think a year or two of development would have possibly turned him into a 20/20 guy and that might yet happen for him, but I don't know if his ceiling he is much more than that.

It took time to bring Sven and Granlund along, Vey had potential, but again it was never realized. I think too much was asked of him, but then again those highlights how much we needed those stop gap players. Benning could not restock the team in a single year, or even two. Only this coming season do I really see things starting to take shape the way he has been planning all along. That said I have at no point thought we would be any further along than we are, so I am perfectly happy with the progression of the team, given what Benning started with, which was bupkis, jack squat, hell Kassian had Negative value lol.

Ill say it, "should have picked Ehlers", are you all Virt hatters happy? ( or Nylander I guess ) but we didn't. I understand all the reasons behind the Jake pick and at the time of the Draft I wanted him as well. A big, fast, hitting sniper, whats not to like? Where there warning signs that he might have aspects of his game that needed progression? Sure!, but everyone not in the top 2/3 of a draft class have those. Even some 1/2 overalls have issues they have to overcome. I understand why they thought they could bring him along on the Canucks roster. Had Jake had the same drive as Horvat it may well have been the correct decision. I don't 100% blame Benning. I split it 50/50 between management and Jake himself. Only he could lace up his skates and play the game and sadly to say he did not do it well, so here we are, with him in the AHL hopefully ( Fingers crossed ) regaining the game that got him drafted #6.

As a closing thought, lets not forget the growing pains the Sedins underwent, those first couple seasons lots of Canucks fans wanted to drive them to the airport and send them off for a bag of frozen Swedish meatballs.

9 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

Letting Richardson go was a huge mistake, Matthias wanted the $$$, and good for him he got it.

Matthias wanted the $$$ but didn't get it, he got 2.3M x 1 year and then got flipped at the deadline by a team who actually knows what they are doing when it comes to rebuilding. We could have easily matched that and maybe it would have saved McCann from being thrown into the fire like he was.

10 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

Only this coming season do I really see things starting to take shape the way he has been planning all along. That said I have at no point thought we would be any further along than we are, so I am perfectly happy with the progression of the team, given what Benning started with, which was bupkis, jack squat, hell Kassian had Negative value lol.

That's the problem with our fan-base right now: pure apathy. We're 3 years into this and still headed towards rock bottom, yet people are okay with it. Talk about low expectations. This was once a passionate market, and all the losing and boring hockey seems to have squashed it out of us. Don't know if any other management team in sports has been looked upon so fondly after 3 years of a tire-fire with no end in sight.

13 minutes ago, R35Godz1lla said:

Ill say it, "should have picked Ehlers", are you all Virt hatters happy? ( or Nylander I guess ) but we didn't. I understand all the reasons behind the Jake pick and at the time of the Draft I wanted him as well. A big, fast, hitting sniper, whats not to like? Where there warning signs that he might have aspects of his game that needed progression? Sure!, but everyone not in the top 2/3 of a draft class have those. Even some 1/2 overalls have issues they have to overcome. I understand why they thought they could bring him along on the Canucks roster. Had Jake had the same drive as Horvat it may well have been the correct decision. I don't 100% blame Benning. I split it 50/50 between management and Jake himself. Only he could lace up his skates and play the game and sadly to say he did not do it well, so here we are, with him in the AHL hopefully ( Fingers crossed ) regaining the game that got him drafted #6.

You can try to rationalize all you want, but the simple fact is that it was an extremely important decision that would have a massive impact for about the next decade and it seems like they completely botched it. There is no excuse for that.

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Matthias wanted the $$$ but didn't get it, he got 2.3M x 1 year and then got flipped at the deadline by a team who actually knows what they are doing when it comes to rebuilding. We could have easily matched that and maybe it would have saved McCann from being thrown into the fire like he was.

Ah, a Toronto Fan, gotcha. By the time Matthias was ready to play ball lots of GM's where not, including ours truly. First reports where he wanted, what 3 years at 3+ mill? Just because one of the worst ( at the time we came off of a somewhat decent season ) teams in the leauge was willing to take him did not mean Matthias himself was willing to come crawling back to the Canucks after Benning presumably laughed at his initial demands. Should benning have found some more depth that off season? Yes he should have, but Sutter was also not suppose to have 2 freak injuiries either and I was suppose to win the lottery, crap happens, deal with it and move on.

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

That's the problem with our fan-base right now: pure apathy. We're 3 years into this and still headed towards rock bottom, yet people are okay with it. Talk about low expectations. This was once a passionate market, and all the losing and boring hockey seems to have squashed it out of us. Don't know if any other management team in sports has been looked upon so fondly after 3 years of a tire-fire with no end in sight.

Apathy? more like reality. Tell me oh grand yogi of hockey wisdom. How do you deal with the majority of the team having NTC's, or there being 0 prospects outside of Horvat and I suppose Hutton ( who was always a long shot anyways ) How do you try and keep a fan base interested that prior to the Torts season was used to president trophies and 100 point seasons from each Sedin, 2011 was still a somewhat close memory. Gillis had a chance to do what Chicago has done, maintain the core and insulate that core with cheap contracts and gems in the rough. That said Chicago was on the way up around the same time we started our decline.

Linden, Benning, hell Ownership has mad decisions that if anything delayed the inevitable by maybe 1 or 2 years, but at the time, for the players we had and the fanbase ( remember 3 years ago a rebuild was repugnant to all but a edmonton lover section of the fanbase ) the choices made sense. Had we been fortunate to have the % fall in our favor last year and gift us Matthews or Laine, I highly doubt we are having this discussion.  All of this is 20/20. All we can do is look forward and take positives where they are. It seems as though Benning has drafted as many potential steals as he has duds and of those players who may be duds, the only one who would truly be a shame is Virtanen and that is only because of the handful of players drafted after him doing well. Every team makes a bad pick. Gillis made multi bad first round picks. With Boeser, Benning has already bested him at last first round picking. OJ has tons of time to be the player his ceiling says he can be and Virtanen is still not a lost cause.

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

You can try to rationalize all you want, but the simple fact is that it was an extremely important decision that would have a massive impact for about the next decade and it seems like they completely botched it. There is no excuse for that.

Yah man, that single draft pick, a #6 pick at that, is going to haunt the team for 10 years. Can you be more melodramatic? I guess NYI should just give up now all well? Hell Edmonton should have relocated after the Yakupov draft. At the time no one expected them to suck as bad as they continued to do and pick up arguably this years best player.

We cant predict the future, all we can do is hope for the best and try and discuss that may happen, although in your case we can also nit pick the past, freak out, hyperventilate and run around screaming that the sky is falling.

On 2017-04-10 at 4:36 PM, luckylager said:

Wow, so much WTF in that interview. I'm kinda at a loss, don't really know where to start.

Most mind blowing - How in the sweet baby cheeses did Jarvis manage to keep his job? Real good at assistance, like he makes a good coffee, not to mention killer grilled cheese sammies? 

Did JB and TL not witness our special teams this season? Wow

When the radio hosts were talking later it sounded like there's a possibility he is being kept on as more of a senior advisor type role IF they get a rookie (Green ) coach they definately need a new/fresh approach to the special teams problem so hopefully he won't be involved in that area

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

Yes, I agree that is how he looked. Despite the attempt at the presser to be upbeat, this has been a tough year for Benning.And the last few days have probably hit him hard.

Well, they set a plan 3 years ago and you have to review, assess and adjust the plan periodically.  I think they've said that was what they had been doing.  This year, it's clear that Willie isn't fitting any more because he hasn't adjusted as the line up has gotten younger. What I mean is, he still tries to rely on his vets.  This is what is behind his playing Biega on the forward lines rather than a younger forward imo.  

So this is Bennings story as I'm reading it.  Now Benning had to pull the trigger on a very hard decision.  Willie is what he is, now it's time to move on.  It'll get easier for Jim in the future.  It's business.  Not personal.

5 minutes ago, nucksnavsfan said:

When the radio hosts were talking later it sounded like there's a possibility he is being kept on as more of a senior advisor type role IF they get a rookie (Green ) coach they definately need a new/fresh approach to the special teams problem so hopefully he won't be involved in that area

Ya, was it Tomlinson who said that they like to keep one assistant to help the new coaching staff transition to the new team rather than clean house altogether in which case none of the new staff would know the players etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Lidster and Pearn were Willie's guys while Jarvis was Bennings (who he knew from Boston)

Archived