The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Firing] Kings Fire Lombardi/Sutter

I'm actually a bit surprised both of them were let go. Yes, they've missed the playoffs twice in the last 3 years but they also are responsible for LA's two cup wins. Management had to know something like this would happen when they gambled and won, sacrificing the future for the present and those cups.

Tough one on Lombardi. Only so much magic his wand had with cleaning up the salary cap issues they faced.

That said, those were all issues he created. Dustin Brown and Marion Gaborik. Those two alone are massive hurdles to overcome.

Rob Blake's first move, aside from turning water (Brown & Gaborik) into wine (literally anything), should be to trade Alec Martinez for some scoring help up front.

12 minutes ago, Monty said:

Tough one on Lombardi. Only so much magic his wand had with cleaning up the salary cap issues they faced.

That said, those were all issues he created. Dustin Brown and Marion Gaborik. Those two alone are massive hurdles to overcome.

Rob Blake's first move, aside from turning water (Brown & Gaborik) into wine (literally anything), should be to trade Alec Martinez for some scoring help up front.

I don't think you can blame him too much for the Brown signing... obviously it turned out horrible but at the time, I bet most GM's would have handed out the same deal under those circumstances. Gaborik on the other hand... that was terrible. 

Wouldn't mind Sutter here whatsoever. Aquaman, please throw the bank at him and get him to come home to Canada! 

5 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Although Sutter is on the market, this just means one more team Gallant or another coaching candidate might choose.

True... LA can take Gallant. 

It's time for aquaman to flex his wallet like the leafs did when they got Babcock. There's a 2 time recent cup winner on the market and he should come home to Canada.

6 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

i know sutter did well with a stacked team in LA......but what was his record like in Calgary?

02/03: 19 W, 18L 8 Ties 1 OTL for 47 points (Didn't qualify for playoffs)

03/04: 42 W, 30L 7T 3 OTL for 94 points (Led them to the SC Finals)

04/05: 46 W, 25L 11 OTL for 103 point (Lost in Conference finals)

Archived