The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Firing] Kings Fire Lombardi/Sutter

44 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I'm actually a bit surprised both of them were let go. Yes, they've missed the playoffs twice in the last 3 years but they also are responsible for LA's two cup wins. Management had to know something like this would happen when they gambled and won, sacrificing the future for the present and those cups.

Never has the phrase "What have you done for me lately" been so true...and so harsh.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Wow...

This day just keeps on getting better.

Big loss by the Kings. Gives us a couple more options.

Am I the only one who thinks LA might be interested in Willie?  I can see him behind their bench lol.

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I'm actually a bit surprised both of them were let go. Yes, they've missed the playoffs twice in the last 3 years but they also are responsible for LA's two cup wins. Management had to know something like this would happen when they gambled and won, sacrificing the future for the present and those cups.

I would do that all day every day for a 2 cups...

Sutter is a really good coach (terrible GM)...and after 2 Stanley Cups I don't think he has anything to prove to anybody...I've noticed that he's lightened up a lot..I'm sure he's in no rush to find himself a coaching position.

He is also a coach that prefers experienced players...I don't see him as fit here.

Obviously,its a surprise that Lombardi got canned...almost seems like there might have been a power struggle somewhere within the  LA organization.

38 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Never has the phrase "What have you done for me lately" been so true...and so harsh.

One playoff win in 3 years will do that, unfortunately.

Now the Kings get to experience the thrill of trying to squeeze what's left out of the shell of their former Cup-contending team, much like the Bruins and Canucks. They still have a good core of players (Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, Carter, Toffoli etc.). The challenge will be to replace the depth they've lost over the years while their window is still somewhat open, which I'm not sure they have the time or cap flexibility to do at this point.

31 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

One playoff win in 3 years will do that, unfortunately.

Now the Kings get to experience the thrill of trying to squeeze what's left out of the shell of their former Cup-contending team, much like the Bruins and Canucks. They still have a good core of players (Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, Carter, Toffoli etc.). The challenge will be to replace the depth they've lost over the years while their window is still somewhat open, which I'm not sure they have the time or cap flexibility to do at this point.

Not sure Lombardi did a whole lot to keep them competitive.

Not being able to get rid of Brown, letting their depth on D get significantly worse, and giving up way too much for Lucic (Jones + White/Connor/Barzal) was their downfall.

Archived