The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Firing] Kings Fire Lombardi/Sutter

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not sure Lombardi did a whole lot to keep them competitive.

Not being able to get rid of Brown, letting their depth on D get significantly worse, and giving up way too much for Lucic (Jones + White/Connor/Barzal) was their downfall.

I didn't make it explicit in my post, but yeah, many of Lombardi's moves backfired in retrospect. Losing Voynov for nothing (justifiably so) also didn't help their cause.

29 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not sure Lombardi did a whole lot to keep them competitive.

Not being able to get rid of Brown, letting their depth on D get significantly worse, and giving up way too much for Lucic (Jones + White/Connor/Barzal) was their downfall.

To be fair, Voynov being a wife beating scumbag was well beyond his control. 

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Wow...

This day just keeps on getting better.

Big loss by the Kings. Gives us a couple more options.

He's not an option.  he's not someone we want around our young players, It we thought Torts was bad yelling at Hansen, this guys is known for going around the room (in front of everyone) and ripping apart each player one by one.  And not in an encrouaging way, like straight up telling Saprykin that he best start preparing for his depart for Russia since he wasn't ever going to let a wannabe hot shot play under him.  

He's the last thing a player like goldy and sven need around this team.

4 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I'm actually a bit surprised both of them were let go. Yes, they've missed the playoffs twice in the last 3 years but they also are responsible for LA's two cup wins. Management had to know something like this would happen when they gambled and won, sacrificing the future for the present and those cups.

Well we fired management a couple years after losing in game 7 of the SCF and not to mention 2 president's trophies. Not to mention Boston did the same thing.

hockey  is now about what have you done lately not your overall career highlights

15 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

Well we fired management a couple years after losing in game 7 of the SCF and not to mention 2 president's trophies. Not to mention Boston did the same thing.

hockey  is now about what have you done lately not your overall career highlights

Yes and no. We were in a steady decline when we cleared house. Not to mention the debacle that was Torts and the Luongo/Schneider trades. 

Boston's was a bit more preemptive, I'll give you that, but I would have thought the King's management and coaching staff would have a little bit more leeway.

55 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He's not an option.  he's not someone we want around our young players, It we thought Torts was bad yelling at Hansen, this guys is known for going around the room (in front of everyone) and ripping apart each player one by one.  And not in an encrouaging way, like straight up telling Saprykin that he best start preparing for his depart for Russia since he wasn't ever going to let a wannabe hot shot play under him.  

He's the last thing a player like goldy and sven need around this team.

Crow used to yell at players all the time to, look how much he's mellowed out.

I dunno, but Sutter seems much calmer than in his Calgary days. I think the fact that he's a two time cup winner means players are more likely to buy into what he's saying.

What's with organizations giving ex-players coaching/management positions just because they were good players in the league or fan favourites?

The only recent one that's been successful that I can think of is Yzerman in Tampa.

Roy did nothing as coach in Colorado, Gretzky was a disaster in Arizona, Linden is terrible so far here, etc.

I guess it's hard to sit here and criticize these two people., Sutter and Lombardi managed to do what no Canucks management or coach has ever done...twice in three seasons no less. In LA, it's just another sports championship, nobody really cares that much.

If someone were to accomplish this feat in Vancouver even ONCE, let alone twice, their name would be raised to the heavens and deified among the great gods of hockey. Forget having a street named after them, they would probably rename Grouse Mountain and possibly even an entire bedroom community after them. 

I don't think LA is done just yet. They still have a lot of talent on that team, and Drew Doughty is a stud who is still only 27 (not sure why he isn't the captain to be honest, the guy is freaking awesome)

7 minutes ago, Bo053 said:

What's with organizations giving ex-players coaching/management positions just because they were good players in the league or fan favourites?

The only recent one that's been successful that I can think of is Yzerman in Tampa.

Roy did nothing as coach in Colorado, Gretzky was a disaster in Arizona, Linden is terrible so far here, etc.

The Avs won 52 games Roy's first year as head coach. That ties their 2001 season. He won a Jack Adams award that season. You don't win those for doing 'nothing'.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Also, Roy has been a very successful coach in junior.

Are we talking about Roy as head coach now?

We better get some players with thick skin if we were to do that. You think Tortorella is a jerk? Wait till Roy gets in that room.

Just now, DeNiro said:

We better get some players with thick skin if we were to do that. You think Tortorella is a jerk? Wait till Roy gets in that room.

LOL I don't think anyone was suggesting that...although now that you mention it, it's so crazy it just might work!

It would actually be crazier if Roy ever ended up coaching Montreal one day...the city he vowed he would never play for again...

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'm not saying he's a good fit here but he's not nearly as bad as some on here think.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm not saying he's a good fit here but he's not nearly as bad as some on here think.

He's won the Stanley Cup which puts him ahead of other candidates for me. I think that's a must for our next coach.

That's why Sutter and Crawford are my top two choices with Gallant or Green as assistants.

If I were a betting man, I would bet Sutter goes to Vegas. 2 reasons: a) the team is going to be like an island of misfits for the first few years and needs a coach who can get the most out of "grinders". B.) Vegas owner, Bill Foley wants to make a Stanley Cup contending team within 5 years(his words.) What better way to make a statement than to back a truckload of money up to Sutter's doorstep?!?!

To me it makes sense. Go ahead and call me crazy, people!!! Lol

Archived