AK_19

The Case Against Travis Green

Rate this topic

points taken.  green is still my guy though.  that's just me though.  would take way to long to break down my opinions which may opposite. you make some valid claims but the one stand out thing for me.

Willie didnt earn an nhl shot until what he was 60? greener is like what 45?  too me that shows green has a better natural ability if he can climb the ranks 15 or so years faster.  wish I could put up some counter points but am at work at the moment. :/ 

you make some fair points but I think context could explain a fair bit of those away.

Just now, Rush17 said:

points taken.  green is still my guy though.  that's just me though.  would take way to long to break down my opinions which may opposite. you make some valid claims but the one stand out thing for me.

Willie didnt earn an nhl shot until what he was 60? greener is like what 45?  too me that shows green has a better natural ability if he can climb the ranks 15 or so years faster.  wish I could put up some counter points but am at work at the moment. :/ 

you make some fair points but I think context could explain a fair bit of those away.

he is 46 years old.

I think the fact that he was an NHL player definitely holds some weight with younger players.....The Canucks are really not going to be seriously competing for the next couple of years anyway,and they cannot get any worse than that are now...I admire the fact that he refuses to be an assistant,he wants to be his own boss... 

Part of me suspects that Green has known for quite some time that he was going to land the Canucks head coach gig...It feels like you could almost book it.

• Upvote 4

i think travis is their guy

he is a coach in their system who they will lose if they do not promote him

he is green.. . pun intended

he will work for cheap.. the nucks are already paying 2 former coaches to not coach . they are unlikely to pony up any large amount of money for any body to coach this team that will lose often next season

i think the nucks are open to a place holder coach for the next 2 seasons

and if that coach ends up being a good coach that is a bonus and he can be resigned

enter green . who fits the profile the canucks are seeking

but of course they will dress it up a lot

he is young.. and the av comparison helps (i don't think it is accurate though)

he knows the players

he certainly could have some upside

every good, great or average nhl coach had to start somewhere

• Upvote 1

I also chose Green, but damn I would agree that the best thing for him, especially if he has his sights on Vancouver or any other major market, is to take an assistant position. It would be one thing to become a first time NHL head coach, but to do it in Vancouver is.. well I think we all observed how Willie was being treated by most at the end. 

I chose Green but the sound of a Marc Crawford HC (knows the market, seems to have the style a lot of people like) and Green as an assistant is sounding more appealing. Seems unlikely though, and who knows how Crow would feel knowing his successor is right beside him.

*In any case I would hope, for those fearing that Green would be too much like Willie, that management would notice that is really not what the team needs and quickly move on, but who knows with this group. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

His unwillingness to be an assistant coach. This one bothers me because it makes him seem pretty arrogant especially considering his lack of experience compared to many of his peers who made the jump to the NHL as a head coach.

This is probably the biggest red flag for me, although admittedly one of quite a few.

Is someone who's not willing to go through the process really the right guy for the job? 

At the end of the day, Gallant would be my guy.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 2

Yeah these things need to be considered, lets not go rushing in to anything here. I don't agree with people and their views on coaches

a lot of people think that a coach that's good with a young team, is a younger coach. That could actually be disastrous for us, like show

me where it has worked all of CDC I beg you. Dallas Ekins lasted one year and he was supposed to be huge for the Oilers. I think we need

experience, I love the idea of Sutter coaching here, I know people don't like that but the guy just won 2 Stanley cups. Babcock has tons of

experience. What about Joel Quenville? You wouldn't take Quenville? If they were available I mean. Its seems as though we like Green

simply because he is young.

Edited by Shirotashi
  • Upvote 1

Dang it man, you're writing the Vancouver media's articles for them

They snoop on here after all

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Dang it man, you're writing the Vancouver media's articles for them

They snoop on here after all

he might be botchford or don taylor;)

I think most people are okay with green because hes used to this system, should be more willing to let the kids play through mistakes and I mean you know he knows what we hated about willy so I think he would be smart to hangs those things. 

I mean gallant is my first choice cause he did real well in Florida and then playing a pretty tight structure last year.

Crawford would play high tempo but I can't see how that would be a happy ending in the end, he hasn't done anything at the NHL level in years. The guy to me would be simply a buffer till the next guy, not a guy to grow this into something. 

• Upvote 2

AV point taken.

Love AV,.

Let's do it again.

Green is our guy.

• Upvote 4

really interesting read man . you gave me a lot to think about there and you make some very valid points 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Would anybody really be surprised if they had accounts on here and regularly posted inflammatory things to see what gets the most response?

Though I agree with @AK_19. I don't think Green is our man. I would much rather have Gallant.

lol .. honestly think we would be shocked to see who actually posts here .

12 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

he might be botchford or don taylor;)

Let's not put Botch and Donnie in the same sentence. 

• Upvote 1

In the modern history of this franchise the most successful coaches have arguably been Quinn,  Crow and AV - all had previous NHL head coaching experience before arriving here.  Is this a prerequisite for success - no, but imo it shouldn't be a criteria taken lightly. 

• Upvote 3