The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Case Against Travis Green

AK_19

1 minute ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Sorry double post this app won't allow me to remove quotes stupid sorry.

I don't know much about Green either, just learning from other posters who have seen his style. I want a coach who is willing to except mistakes and teach players to learn from them instead of benching them, and what I've read sounds like Green can be like this to a point sometimes. And that he prefers a defensive style of game another thing I'm sick and tired of here in Vancouver, let players play and score goals bring excitement back, let your goalie be a goalie. And also starting to hear he does like Veterans more then younger, to me all signs are leaning more to a similar style of WD and that's the last thing this team needs. 

I'm with you on that one..Under WD ,the Canucks played a passive game,they didn't attack...We're a bottom of the league team,and if were going to lose down the road here,we may as well come out swingin'.......I'm done with low event hockey.

1 minute ago, Honky Cat said:

I'm with you on that one..Under WD ,the Canucks played a passive game,they didn't attack...We're a bottom of the league team,and if were going to lose down the road here,we may as well come out swingin'.......I'm done with low event hockey.

Which is how the Comets play under Green......uptempo, hard forechecking and forcing turnovers 

8 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

I'm not liking some comments suggesting the next 2 -3 years will be a write off so don't sweat it. That's bulldhit. It starts now. Bring in a winner. I called in to team 1040 and got ridiculed for voting for Sutter. What a relief to find at least a few likeminded believers. This team needs a new attitude and a winning mindset. People are so intimidated by this guy and I love it. He would turn Horvat into Kopitar. 

I agree the time is now to start the foundation of this new core to become winners and not just competitors. I do believe this team has been soft for too many years and it all started from AV and his lack of talking to his players and pushing them harder with his words and actions. The team was spoiled to do as they wish and never punished or pushed to be better, but as soon as Torts came in and tried to implement this style the team couldn't handle it and crumbled it was sad actually, because they needed a coach to push them because AV never did that. What happened the players cried and whined to management that they couldn't handle this coaching style, and wanted a coach more friendly again which imo just makes them soft.

How is Sutter with young players though? Does he have the patience to let some young players learn from their mistakes or will he just bench them? If he does have the patience then he's someone I would definitely consider then, but I still think Crawford covers these issues already and feel he would do a good job. Going by what Crawford has said in the past that he would love to coach again in Vancouver, and if he still would want to would make a lot of sense because he wants to win here.

Just now, Green Building said:

Isn't AHL/junior hockey more prone to that in the first place? 

I agree, in that the players are less skilled at moving the puck.  Still, thays Greens style and that's the style JB wants in Van.

24 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Baer said it fits him because it felt like they always had the puck - they want to enter the o-zone with possession.  No dump & chase like in Calgary. 

He also said that they play the same way regardless of the score.

The roster has changed a lot since he was there - that was probably the most skilled lineup they ever had.   

15 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Yeah Goldy is a prime example get benched for trying to think offense instead of defense and he scored a breakaway goal but gets punished, ridiculous great way to push offensive players away from playing on your team. Why would offensive players want to come play on a defensive minded team if they aren't allowed to be creative and generate scoring, they wouldn't want to come end of story. Change the mindset here and get more offensive, I understand a lot of the NHL has adapted to a more defensive style of game and coaching, but you don't need to copy everyone else, be different that's what will win you games.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I agree, in that the players are less skilled at moving the puck.  Still, thays Greens style and that's the style JB wants in Van.

Yeah that's certainly part of it, as are mistakes and coverage breakdowns that lead to chasms of open ice that make the game much faster. I'm not convinced Green is the guy, but to be honest I'm not that convinced anyone is perfect for us right now.

I wonder if, during the interview process, the way WD described how he'd style offence was different than what actually happened on the ice.

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

Yeah that's certainly part of it, as are mistakes and coverage breakdowns that lead to chasms of open ice that make the game much faster. I'm not convinced Green is the guy, but to be honest I'm not that convinced anyone is perfect for us right now.

I wonder if, during the interview process, the way WD described how he'd style offence was different than what actually happened on the ice.

Well it sounds like Gallant is going to be hired in LV, so I don't see a better option than Green anyway.  Sutter is not going to want to coach a team who is still 2-3 years from being a true playoff team.

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

If Sutter is our coach next year I may just pull my hair out. I've never liked him, and we're not equipped with the players he's used to coaching in LA and Calgary over the last decade, but what do I know.

and he sure would get roasted by this market for his post game interviews

think willie had it bad? sutter would be received in a worse manner

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

and he sure would get roasted by this market for his post game interviews

think willie had it bad? sutter would be received in a worse manner

Probably, but at the same time you could say the same thing about any of our coaches, GM's, or logo's. Sometimes there's too much anger, frustration, and impatience to view things constructively. 

30 minutes ago, Green Building said:

If Sutter is our coach next year I may just pull my hair out. I've never liked him, and we're not equipped with the players he's used to coaching in LA and Calgary over the last decade, but what do I know.

Sutter is not coming to Van, imo.  Why would he?

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sutter is not coming to Van, imo.  Why would he?

I don't believe he would either, but to answer your question: $$$. 

Back to Green for a moment, if there were any internal doubts about WD last offseason I wonder why they allowed other teams to interview Green. You think they would have protected him for one more season similar to how LA blocked teams from discussions with Stevens. Perhaps they didn't believe he would actually be hired last season so they were able to both be, and appear, supportive with little to lose.

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

I tend to give Willie a pass here.

I think his first year was the closest we saw to how Desjardins really wanted to coach. The next year saw roster changes that IMO were a mixed bag in terms of whether they were actually improving the team (at least in the year-to-year short term).

And some of these roster changes arguably weren't altogether helpful to Willie (and the style he came in wanting to play). 

Plus the injuries. Which can't really be overstated. Especially for a team with depth issues.

The following year, more of the same.

And then there was also reportedly a directive coming directly from management for the 2016-17 team to play tighter structurally, especially defending through the neutral zone. Not the wrong idea necessarily. And the results were good early on. But as the roster became depleted, it definitely made for some challenging hockey to watch at times.

Honestly, I think Willie did the best he could with the hand he was dealt. 

Actually, if you can get past the snark, Canucks Army does a pretty good job breaking things down here: https://canucksarmy.com/2017/04/11/safety-was-death-the-willie-desjardins-story/

I believe Gallant was just hired in Vegas.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Baer said it fits him because it felt like they always had the puck - they want to enter the o-zone with possession.  No dump & chase like in Calgary. 

He also said that they play the same way regardless of the score.

The roster has changed a lot since he was there - that was probably the most skilled lineup they ever had.   

Some of Baer's best hockey came off the forecheck in Portland..

.. and if you think about it, the forecheck is where "the 200' game" begins... not in your own zone.

Archived