The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Case Against Travis Green

AK_19

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

pretty sure gallant signed with LV today did he not?

Currently stuck at work, so not really able to follow any news until I get home.... If LV got Gallant, good for them, it just makes our list a little shorter unfortunately. All I keep hearing about today is the MOAB the states dropped on Afghanistan...

16 minutes ago, Beeekz37 said:

Currently stuck at work, so not really able to follow any news until I get home.... If LV got Gallant, good for them, it just makes our list a little shorter unfortunately. All I keep hearing about today is the MOAB the states dropped on Afghanistan...

Making Merica great again one Moab at a time!

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎12 at 2:41 PM, Hutton Wink said:

So that's why the Kings players locked him out of the dressing room?  If you want a coach who will burn a team out in a couple years, why not just bring back Keenan?

Like Hitchcock, it's no thanks to Sutter.

Two Stanley Cups in three years and a burnt out Vancouver Canucks team will be widely accepted here me's thinking.....

12 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Good summary on Green's history. I thought Ray Ferraro's comments about Travis Green were to the point. When he came to the Islanders as a top junior scorer he was told he would not be the 1C or 2C and would have to change his game to stick. Ray said Green developed his checking game to make that happen.

I disagree with your idea that the Canucks could be contenders in 2 years. Lucky would be the key word. 3 years would be very lucky and 5 more realistic. But in all reality it is guess work which ultimately comes down to how good a job Benning does in acquiring players and how well coaching develops that talent. This is why Green as the coach makes sense. He has played NHL, he has coached both junior and the AHL and he is young enough to, hopefully, mentor young players effectively. Whoever is hired as coach will not likely lead the Canucks back to serious playoff contention. Long term tenure, especially for a rebuilding team, is not long. Willie got 3 years and I don't expect the next coach gets much longer.    

Thanks for the response and I agree.  Just for clarification, I was suggesting that, if we were lucky, we might be contending/pushing for a playoff spot in two or three years (not that we would be a Stanley Cup contender).  Like you said, our best years (where we could be a solid playoff performer) are probably about 5 years down the road; but I can always dream it might be sooner. I just hope Benning can pull a few more Stechers and Tryamkins out of the hat.

15 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Lmao i still can't believe they elected him. And still can't believe the only other person for president is a Hilary... could they not seriously find some decent candidates down there. 

This is the same country that elected Bush, so I can't say I'm surprised but yeah.... at least Bush was good for a laugh or two.

Also the same country that decided to put a blue streak for a pass and a red streak for a shot in order to teach the Americans more about hockey and make it "easier" for them to understand while watching TV... I still remember hearing the disappointment in some fans when they went to a live game and there were no streaks.

41 minutes ago, Beeekz37 said:

This is the same country that elected Bush, so I can't say I'm surprised but yeah.... at least Bush was good for a laugh or two.

Also the same country that decided to put a blue streak for a pass and a red streak for a shot in order to teach the Americans more about hockey and make it "easier" for them to understand while watching TV... I still remember hearing the disappointment in some fans when they went to a live game and there were no streaks.

Yeah that was awesomely stupid wasn't it.

8 hours ago, Beeekz37 said:

I remember the Molson Canadian commercial mocking that. 

Altough to be fair, a lot of the blame has to go to Bettman for entertaining that monstrosity. 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Altough to be fair, a lot of the blame has to go to Bettman for entertaining that monstrosity. 

Would you include marketing in Europe years ago and China now amongst the many monstrosities that Bettman has performed? I know I would. What does the future hold?

The imp needs to go. This could be new thread worthy... if for some unforeseen circumstance Bettman could not carry on in his duties as commissioner of the NHL, who would be a suitable replacement? Would the owners try to take on another ex-NBA commish? 

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Actually that was Fox. They were willing to sign a broadcast deal but wanted the NHL to find a way to make it easier to follow the puck. Of course back then a 32" TV was big.

32 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Actually that was Fox. They were willing to sign a broadcast deal but wanted the NHL to find a way to make it easier to follow the puck. Of course back then a 32" TV was big.

And if we'd had a respectable commissioner Fox would have been told to pound sand. 

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And if we'd had a respectable commissioner Fox would have been told to pound sand. 

The major mandate Bettman was given by the the owners from the beginning was to expand the NHL in the US and get a US broadcast deal. Money is money. You guys can keep harping about Bettman but he's been doing what the owners wanted all along. If he was simply doing as he pleases, as many seem to believe, he would have been out of a job long ago instead of getting a fat raise on a long term deal.

Unfortunately for Fox the pucks with the chip proved to be too expensive to have them flying over the glass.

9 hours ago, Beeekz37 said:

Would you include marketing in Europe years ago and China now amongst the many monstrosities that Bettman has performed? I know I would. What does the future hold?

The imp needs to go. This could be new thread worthy... if for some unforeseen circumstance Bettman could not carry on in his duties as commissioner of the NHL, who would be a suitable replacement? Would the owners try to take on another ex-NBA commish? 

Chelios had the right idea.

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

I get the feeling we may hire Green. My fear is that we will have the same inexperience problems we had with Willie. I like Green but right now only as an assistant 

really want Crow 

I agree it looks like Green will be our next coach and as much as I'd prefer an experienced coach I don't want Crow back. Good offensive coach, bad systems coach. His only real success was pre-salary cap with a free spending team that had no budget limit.

It's really simple for me. You've got a great skating defense which is only going to get faster with OJ coming before too long and hopefully getting rid of Sbisa. The forward speed has already improved and is going to get a lot better. This team needs to start transitioning to an up-tempo attacking style of play. Think Jon Cooper and Tampa Bay.

That is not Travis Green. I don't know how I feel about it but the crow might be a good fit.

Archived