The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there a future for the Sedins after their current contracts?

bohoforpresident

The sedin brothers and their combined total 14 million dollar cap hit come off the books at the end of the 17-18 season. As they have stated relentlessly over the past two years...they would like to remain canucks for the remainder of their NHL careers. Most people have to have figured out by now that the brothers do not intend on having next year be their last. In this years exit presser, Henrik reaffirms this by saying he believes the brothers can achieve 60-70 point seasons next year.. The brothers also shoulder alot of the blame for the disappointing year, stating that their contracts hold them accountable for better production, and basically that they believed when they had signed the contracts, that the money they earned to this day would still be market value. Henrik also talks about failing their teammates most of all.

If the sedins play a full season with granlund OR goldobin next year

AND Boeser shores up their PP unit

AND they dont play half the season with megna or chaput... I dont see a 10-20 point increase/60-70 point seasons as unrealistic

Obviously if they continue to decline...their isnt much in the way to discuss.

HOWEVER

If they did put up 60 plus point seasons, is everyone dead set on walking away?

We all know they would take a ludicrous discount contract. At this point in their careers they truly play in vancouver because they want to win here and consider it their home. The leadership of two canuck legends and (theoritical) 60 plus point guys is no doubt of value to the team. But....by the 18-19 season, prospects; Dahlen, Gaudette, Virtanen (off-wing) and our 2017 first round pick (strong chance of it being a center), lockwood and potentially other prospects may be ready to take the next step. Are the sedins still just holding up roster spots at this point, even with resurgent seasons??

@ center; h. sedin, horvat, sutter, gaunce?, granlund? megna? molino?  plug plug 
@ lw; d. sedin, baertschi, eriksson, goldobin? boucher? plug plug
@ rw; eriksson, goldobin? boeser, dorsett plug, plug

I only included players who already have a spot on the team, and who i thought could realistically have a spot on the team in the 18-19 season. as you can see the canucks already play a ton of natural centers on the wing to make room...which makes for a good two way forward...BUT! as you can see, signing the sedins again makes a bit of a logjam if you try to add any more players... as surely a prospect or two might be ready to earn a spot on the team in the 18-19 season.

Im trying to preach patience...I think getting our blue chip prospects into the AHL for a year AT LEAST before the NHL is a road we should be more open to. If the prospect is ready for the NHL.. then obviously make room for them but alot of our prospects arent going to be able to walk in and make an impact right away (ie virtanen, goldobin and future prospects) and could benefit from that route.. I think its better for our most promising players to play big minutes in the AHL for a full year than 3rd or 4th line minutes playing catch up in the NHL. The AHL is a good development league we shouldnt be afraid to use it. 

IMO...if the sedins have a good season next year, we shouldn't rush them out to rush prospects in.
And if the sedins have a good season next year and prospects are truly READY to come in...well then that's a good problem to have. Thats why the san jose sharks had goldobin in the AHL when we traded for him.

The Sedins are great guys and they were great players but in my opinion it's time to leave the past behind. The Sedins showed this year how sharp their decline is happening. Sure, most of their linemates were complete crap but they were even almost completely ineffective on the powerplay which they were getting most of the prime time of all year.

Personally, unless they take a massive pay cut I dont want to see them back after next season. Even then I think it's time to start the new era of the Canucks and I would've been happier if it was happening this coming fall.

I think with the change this organization is seeing, I can see a one year extensin at 2.5-3M each. But with up and coming young talents and the direction of the team, we need those spots. Henrik-Bo-Sutter-Gaunce-2017pick-Gaudette. One could easily see us in a couple years with. Bo-2017pick-Gaudette/Gaunce down the centre. Not to mention UFAs/trades and college free agents(surely we land one C sooner or later haha

They're too slow now for the new speedy NHL. They also pretty much make up a whole line since they always play together and they have no physicality to their game and they're a defensive liability now. They can't even score on the power play anymore.

Unless they somehow put up 60+ points next season id say no...

All depends how they perform next season. Another dud year of no sedinery, defensive liablility, slow transitional play and there might not be a place on this team for them. As far as leaders, they are as good as they come. But, at this stage were seeing a major regression. Its sad really. They have been dominating for nearly 10 years. Ive never seen players like the sedins, whose hockey IQ is through the roof. They were a pleasure to watch on a nightly basis. Im really hoping they can turn this around. 

My measuring stick for whether I would want them re-signed has little to do with how many points they get.

Their defensive game (especially considering they must play together), the impact of their lack of speed and how that looks next year, what they are willing to sign for (1 year deals at 3rd line money or less), and whether they allow themselves to be support players rather than insisting on being the go to guys are all important considerations. Their willingness and ability to adjust the way they play on the PP is also a key.

Them scoring 70 points if they are as bad as they were this year in all other areas doesn't even get them to break even status let alone the positives outweighing the negatives.

It will be interesting to see if they play better with fewer minutes next year.  If they continue to slide next year, it will be tough for them to mentor young guys.....otherwise it's the "do as I say and not as I do" routine.  At some point they'll be best heard in coaching roles.

2 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

It will be interesting to see if they play better with fewer minutes next year.  If they continue to slide next year, it will be tough for them to mentor young guys.....otherwise it's the "do as I say and not as I do" routine.  At some point they'll be best heard in coaching roles.

It's already largely do as I say not as I do. Seeing them preach about young guys needing to play hard and committing to defense to ever take their spots is pretty hypocritical. Same as them saying the young guys need to strive to be better not just be happy they are in the NHL.

All good advice and true. But interesting considering they don't do the first two and they most definitely are looking guilty of the last one.

They'll probably still be able to be NHLers after next season.

However, for the Canucks, it would be best for them not to be re-signed. The Canucks need to become Horvat and Boeser and the Top 3 (likely) pick's team after next season. The Sedins being here only hurts the transition. They've been hall of fame NHLers and Canucks but... it's time for the team (and them) to move on after next season. Next year should be their Canucks swan song... and after next season they can either chose to stay as NHLers on another team or retire. That's my opinion.

How many hours and PP ice time and offensive opportunities to get to those 60-70pts they think they still have in them...  that's the real question.
Last season I don't think Horvat or Baer ever played at 5v3 - it was all Sedins.  Does it make sense.  Should they be always the ones in OT, extra attacker etc. 

I sure hope the focus will not be to get the Sedins to their 60pts but rather a fair competition between both lines to see if Horvat can get to 60pts.   

It reminds me of the Wild under Yeo where he catered too much to the vets.  Their younger players still took steps but slower than expected simply for the lack of opportunity.  Himself admitted that he wanted to learn from Hitch how to deal with the ego of the vets.

Depends on the improvement of the youngsters in the squad. If they progress as planned or better, there may not be room for the Sedins, as you don't wanna stifle the playing time for the future of this franchise. 

Also might need to make room for bigger players, as we are soft as butter, as it stands...

Archived