The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there a future for the Sedins after their current contracts?

bohoforpresident

23 hours ago, dank.sinatra said:

If they prove they still have value in the league after this year then sign them for 1 year at 2.5m and give them 3rd line minutes. If they can't take the pay cut and reduced roll then they're really just hurting the team, barring an unprecedented return to form. If you think 2.5 isn't enough for slow secondary scoring players that aren't gonna throw big hits or play scrappy then sorry I don't agree. 

Sedin - Sedin - Virtanen could be an effective third line to start the 2018 season but the top six needs to be rebuilt without the Sedins after the upcoming year. Hell, if we had the talent pool the top six should be rebuilt without them this year but unfortunately that's not the case. You can't blame the Sedins though, management should have had prospects ready to take their top line minutes years ago. In a perfect world the twins would have been anchoring the second line for the last two seasons and starting this season on the third. Too bad multiple short-sighted management groups forced them to carry the first line offensive duties for much longer than they should have. I'm fairly certain even the twins have stated something like they'd "love to see someone step up and take the top line minutes".

This is also another reason the Erikson singing was so awful. It wrongfully convinced everyone that the Sedins could finish their careers as first liners with the help of another aging Swede, who they had past success with. Clearly that didn't work, very ill-advised stop gap contract that will handcuff the team way past the Sedins retirement. Would have been much smarter to just admit the Sedins aren't first line players anymore, rebuild the first line quicker, and play the Sedins on the second line with a speedy prospect.

Oh well, I guess a small chance of achieving short term mediocrity is so tempting to our management that they would disregard the future.

You can't blame the Sedins though....

Actual you can.  Normally when a core gets old the key players that still above value ( say the Sedins just before Torts or after their bounce back year) are traded no matter what clauses their contract has, to a contender.  

Those multiple first round picks and high end prospects would be in the system right now and some probably roster players, possibly already young stars.

It's admirable having their services until they retire, but I bet everyone here would be happier if we had value back for them instead of zero.

The time to trade them was when Luongo left. It would have hurt, seeing everyone go all at once, but it is better than having a rebuild held hostage and dragging out an extra three or four years or whatever it's going to take to draft actual star replacements.

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

They still may be able to produce but probably not on the PP. That one has been played to death. How bout PKers? Nope can't do that either. Those plus minus numbers were atrocious for them last year. Do you really think they can improve those from last year?

Much like Shane Doan, they WERE generational talents and now they are one step away from helping the team on the OTHER SIDE of the bench.

I wish they were Shane Doan. Then they could still produce until they were forty and beat the crap out of anyone that takes a cheap shot on another player.  

10 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Just like your last statement was an assumption no one else can do the same as you? All of my examples were "On ice" observations and if I see them I am sure they can as well.

I made a prediction based on what I've seen from watching the twins for 16 years that was quite clearly phrased as an opinion. You made a statement based on some kind of preeminent knowledge of what has happened.

Depends how next season plays out. If they're still contributing (offensively / defensively) and both get 60+ points while playing a reduced minutes, I wouldn't mind having them back for another year to help ease the transition.

If Thornton and Marleau can do it, so can the Sedins.

Naslunds last season he got 25 goals for the Canucks.

Why would we want a couple of 10 goal scores  ( H and D ) back again for another contract ? No thanks.

No disrespect to H and D.  Both were franchise best player for us.... but clearly it is time to turn the page and let Bo  take this club over. 

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

I made a prediction based on what I've seen from watching the twins for 16 years that was quite clearly phrased as an opinion. You made a statement based on some kind of preeminent knowledge of what has happened.

Haha this getting too deep for a "hockey" discussion. I am not a lawyer deliberating a case so lets just agree to disagree. thanks.

1 year at a time, large, and increasingly diminished role and pay.  And club positions after.  These guys are legends.

This being said, I would like to see the team move away from the impossible pass perimeter Sedin cycle mindset.  You know exactly what I mean...

34 minutes ago, xereau said:

1 year at a time, large, and increasingly diminished role and pay.  And club positions after.  These guys are legends.

This being said, I would like to see the team move away from the impossible pass perimeter Sedin cycle mindset.  You know exactly what I mean...

What kind of diminished role do you expect them to play? They can't play defence anymore and clearly the perimeter cycle game doesn't work either especially on the powerplay where they used to do most of their damage offensively. They cannot keep up with the speed of today's game and if you've noticed a trend in today's game but as soon as you lose a step your good as done as an NHL'er. Look we all love them and they have been arguably the best Canucks of all time but sports are cutthroat and it's time to move on after this year. 

12 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

I never said they should be signed for 5m each. I'm just saying if they want to keep playing I'm sure they'll stay with a reasonable contract.

I love the Sedins and what they've done for this team, this community and this province, but anything above $3.5m per and I'd rather they retire. Anything below that and I'm happy to have them around. Regardless of what people say I think they've still got some juice for a few more 40-50 point seasons in them, which (if they signed for $3.5m) is pretty cheap for that production level.

7 hours ago, Mattrek said:

I love the Sedins and what they've done for this team, this community and this province, but anything above $3.5m per and I'd rather they retire. Anything below that and I'm happy to have them around. Regardless of what people say I think they've still got some juice for a few more 40-50 point seasons in them, which (if they signed for $3.5m) is pretty cheap for that production level.

I agree and if they were going to agree to take a huge pay cut then they would have to agree to also playing on separate lines. They really are a liability playing on the same line defensively. I would also think that Hank would also need to give up the Captaincy. If these aren't part of the agreement then I say they retire so the team can move on to the next era.

not the way they played the last half of this last season - except for a few games.

players get paid for past performance - but this year they were almost the worst value in the league.  Taken on average throughout their careers, it's not that bad however... and its not as if we need salary cap space now anyways (although it would help if people actually went to games in person).

But I'd say no.  If their contracts expired now, there wouldn't be anyone who would take them - they are slow, it's a fast young game, they can't play at the same level as the players around them....  if they were big they could slow the game down a bit, but they still get pushed around a bit...  It's over.  Power-play anyone?  This season is going to be painful.  They have played less and less of a full season at top performance now for about 5 years... which makes sense given their age.  But it is getting worse of course, this next season logically will be worse than their last.  If they prove me wrong I'll be happy, but I can't see it.  I expect a 10 game sprint and some sedinery at the start of the season, then nothing the rest of the season.  SO:  IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE SEDINS AT THEIR BEST ONE LAST TIME - WATCH THE FIRST 10 GAMES!  I KNOW I WILL BE ;) Cause after that it is all over.

They should really bench them periodically... like 10 games on, 5 games off, repeat...  they would only play 2/3 of the season, but they might play at closer to a high level and might be fun to watch still.   Or if that doesn't work, then 10 games on, 10 games off.  then maybe 5 games on, 10 games off... whatever works.   Cause the other games when they just coast around, and can't get to the areas they know they should be in - they should just not be playing... 

Archived