The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there a future for the Sedins after their current contracts?

bohoforpresident

I'm guessing they likely have 2 or 3 more seasons left in them.  I'm guessing they will retire at age 39 or 40.

Maybe they'd play beyond that but I can't see them being more then 3rd liners after 2 seasons from now.  

I hope they play as long as they contribute and are not liabilities.   this season was a struggle no doubt. I was honestly shocked when hank said he had zero injuries this season.   I could understand an injury impacting his play but not really any injuries is surprising.

3rd or even 4th line role who eat up first unit PP time isn't a bad option. Doesn't really happen around the league but why not? Have the 2nd line as the checking line with Sutter, or Horvat. Have a special unit with the Sedins and a skilled guy like Goldobin which clearly works. Put them out for 10-12 minutes a night, mostly get the Sedins powerplay time. If they can pot 40 points that's all we need from them, and make them focus on the powerplay. Spreads out our scoring and takes pressure away from Horvat to produce offence.

Next year we're still a mess with the Sedins and Horvat sharing first line minutes, but the following season I'd re-sign them cheaply. This in 2018-2019:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - Hirschier (or another center acquired this offseason) - Virtanen

Granlund - Sutter - Gaudette/Gaunce

Sedin - Sedin - Goldobin

Obviously those wingers are all very interchangeable, but if we build our team around those main centers with Gaudette as the wild-card 5th center, we've got a solid foundation. Got to get that 2nd top-6 center this off-season though to give him some time to develop.

Possibly. It depends entirely on how they perform next year versus prospects coming up. We had a number of "place holders" on the roster this year. For the most part they will be replaced for next year. If the Sedins perform even reasonably well next year and nobody stands out as a "must be on the roster" replacement it certainly wouldn't hurt to have some decent young forwards playing in Utica as potential call-ups for the inevitable injuries that will occur. That would certainly be a nice change from having to call up a career AHL'er to cover injuries.

Imagine if they weren't twins? Rather 2 former stars of the same age, who played yrs together effectively? Probably we wouldn't even be talking/debating about future options. Said it the other day..what was initially their advantage(paired, as they climbed towards their peak), now seems a liability. They should have been played seperately(most of the time) for about the last two yrs.

Here's another hypothetical: Imagine they were always speedsters(like 2 old Mike Gartner twins)? Well, that would be completely different. I'd probably keep them together, if that were a big part of their arsenal. You simply DON'T put two old, slow fwds on a line together. Not with how the game has evolved.

For them to state in these pressers that they weren't good enough, & NEXT yr they're gonna blah, blah, blah..portends to more of the same. These statements become irritating. If they ARE the accountable leaders that everyone claims, by now they would have spoken with the coaching: "Guys, you'd better split us onto different lines. We're a little long in the tooth, to get back speedily."

A teammate would never even hint at what I've said. As a Canuck fan, kinda feel bad typing it - yet it needs stating. Leadership is certainly about sacrifice.

IF the twins played seperately, & strongly contributed towards a team trending upwards, I'd keep signing them(1 yr at a time) as each summer arrived.

Seems to all boil down to everyone hanging on to their 2011 memories for far too long.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

3rd or even 4th line role who eat up first unit PP time isn't a bad option. Doesn't really happen around the league but why not? Have the 2nd line as the checking line with Sutter, or Horvat. Have a special unit with the Sedins and a skilled guy like Goldobin which clearly works. Put them out for 10-12 minutes a night, mostly get the Sedins powerplay time. If they can pot 40 points that's all we need from them, and make them focus on the powerplay. Spreads out our scoring and takes pressure away from Horvat to produce offence.

Next year we're still a mess with the Sedins and Horvat sharing first line minutes, but the following season I'd re-sign them cheaply. This in 2018-2019:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - Hirschier (or another center acquired this offseason) - Virtanen

Granlund - Sutter - Gaudette/Gaunce

Sedin - Sedin - Goldobin

Obviously those wingers are all very interchangeable, but if we build our team around those main centers with Gaudette as the wild-card 5th center, we've got a solid foundation. Got to get that 2nd top-6 center this off-season though to give him some time to develop.

Virtanen better be ready for a fight. This will be the soft team... Wonder how long their bodies can cope with the pounding... Sedins may retire in 1 bedroom boxes...

Having seen the Twins from draft day on, my take us that they need a fast (ish) gritty winger with decent scoring hands to make them effective.   Think Trent Klatt, Anson Carter, Alex Burrows,  Jannik Hansen.  Skilled wingers didn't do well .... Naslund was not a fit, nor were Demitra or Raymond.

That's why I don't see Goldy fitting in with the Twins (and why I think WD persevered with Megna and Chapeau for so long, trying to find that grit/speed/shot combination)

If Jake has truly matured, and is committed, he might provide that elusive combination, otherwise, as others have suggested, split up the Twins.  Both are still elite passers, but this past season saw a huge decline in Daniel's shooting accuracy (so much so that Henrik stopped passing to him, but elected to shoot, thus tying his brother in goals for the first time since they were 21 year olds or Daniel's injury year, when they tied)

I'd re-sign them, give Jake a 30 game tryout with them next season and keep them as a line if that works, otherwise split them up but let them reunite on the 2nd PP unit.

Op is among others and all are beating a dead horse. Yes they can contribute still, but at a consistent decrease of points for not just this season as op says due to half a season with plugs.. Megan/ Chapoop. I don't see why we shouldn't let another page turn in Canucks history. Horvat is ready. Let's build the team around him.      We have lots to look forward too, Virtanen Boeser Horvat , Bear granny goldy, Dahlen sedins ( for one more year) and there's still frickn Sutter and Erickson (hope he turns it around) and our defence is stacked and improving with Hutton Treebeard, guddy Tanev, sketchy elder  and Pizza, still got Pedan and subban maybe gets a shot with a new coach if there are injuries again. Along with this years pick and Joulevie how ever you spell that, and other lower round picks like stukel who is doing alright. We have finally enough to replace the sedins, so let's let them retire or walk, sign a young superstar with some of their coin... and move on. This half rebuild ain't working. Im glad we didn't burn down the barn like some teAms but letting them go is a huge part of moving on. Keep em for next year to let the guys grow more but please everyone let's move on. God.

12 hours ago, spook007 said:

Virtanen better be ready for a fight. This will be the soft team... Wonder how long their bodies can cope with the pounding... Sedins may retire in 1 bedroom boxes...

How about this;

virtanen horvat boeser

bear sutter granny 

dank hank dahlen/goldy

dorsett gaunce (insert fast hitting plug here)

hutton Tanev

Stecher Gudd

Sbisa tryamkin

19 hours ago, Lancaster said:

They can still contribute in a depth role. 

2nd PP unit with 2nd/3rd line minutes.

This precisely.  Limit their ice time and give them a better winger than they've had lately, and they will still produce. Yes, this is the twilight of their careers and no, they are no longer 1st line players.   But I'm guessing if any players would be willing to take a huge pay cut to help the only team they've played for and have a final chance to win, it is these two guys.

I can see Benning talking candidly with them and tell them the way it is.  They are now average second line players at best but they are deeply loved by staff and fans, and their leadership is most welcome.  They can and would still provide secondary or tertiary scoring.  Sign them for 3 mil each for either two years or go year to year and see how they feel after each.

I'm not saying we can contend, but I very strongly believe we make the playoffs next season.  Maybe if they experience that again they will feel rejuvenated enough to see this team through to being good again.

I don't believe theyre being on the team is a particular detriment to our young guys.  We certainly have more decent prospects now but we are hardly overflowing with elite prospects who must all be in the nhl right away. 

I would consider them back if they put up at least 60 points on a 2nd line role next season and I'd have them back for one year deals for as long as they produces 40 points in a season which is a reasonable and realistic goal and the year they failed to meet that goal is when we say farewell.   The prospects need not to be rushed so we can either use the Sedins as a stop-gap with a performance bonus laden contract if they reach 60 points.   That's what I would do so if they do not meet 50 points next season then I would say good bye but if they surpass that goal, then I'd have them back for one-year at 2 million base salary with performance laden bonuses up to 5 million if they meet the goals and 3 million if they win a Hart trophy or Art Ross.   So that would tally up to 8 million so that's a reasonable performance laden contract. 

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

too early to tell - we'll find out next year imo.

Agree on this. Next season will be a real eye opener as they will likely get less minutes 5 v 5  and greatly less PP1 time.

Hard to see them having a bounce back year under these conditions.......

My heart tells me to bring them back....   but  my gut tells me they are done......

Sucked when Nazzy left but the club moved forward...

Well, they have one more year in their contracts, this upcoming season. How they play, with and without the puck, will be the true indication. 

They took responsibility for the crap season, and they did bear quite a bit of it, but not all. They said that they can have a better season next year. So it remains to be seen.

After their contracts are up, I'd prefer that they retire. For their sake and for the team's sake 

I think after this season we will have another two to three C's and wingers also that could step in

To me I would move them now or st the TDL but they would rather retire then help the team out and be leaders

so to me it is obvious that after this year they DI NOT come back

far as points I can't see them breaking 45 anymore and be third liners at best from what they did last season they looked like third line players at best!

Get the two of them under the knife, I think they could probably use surgery for some sort of ailment, they have played a long time and have taken a lot of punishment in the corners, side boards, infront of the net and have taken some dirty hits aswell. The abuse their bodies have taken has caught up with them. I think a little surgical tuneup would be best for them this offseason and less TOI each game will keep them fresher longer and they can achieve those point totals. IMHO.. I'm all for keeping them, even if it puts a little bit of a log jam for a couple years more, just means our prospects will be that much more ready to step in

The Sedins can be effective in a reduced minutes secondary scoring role. Unfortunately we don't have the offense or the sand in our top 6 to Trott the Sedins out as a 3rd line. To those that say split them up! As obvious as the idea seems it isn't going to happen for obvious reasons. 

Archived