The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there a future for the Sedins after their current contracts?

bohoforpresident

5 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

How about this;

virtanen horvat boeser

bear sutter granny 

dank hank dahlen/goldy

dorsett gaunce (insert fast hitting plug here)

hutton Tanev

Stecher Gudd

Sbisa tryamkin

Hope Virtanen becomes the machine, we all hoped for, when he got drafted, but it remains to be seen if he will be even a top 6 player, (he could still be useful further down the line up).

For me its top 6 for the Sedins or nothing. I love them to bits, but we have been plummeted for years, and I want some push back. Also I want somebody, who can step up, if liberties are taken to our youngsters...

I think a few of these players will be gone in a couple of years, as we are transitting into a bigger team. At the moment we are drafting close to BPA, and this will give us the bargaining chips needed, when we becomes proper playoff contenders.

11 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Op is among others and all are beating a dead horse. Yes they can contribute still, but at a consistent decrease of points for not just this season as op says due to half a season with plugs.. Megan/ Chapoop. I don't see why we shouldn't let another page turn in Canucks history. Horvat is ready. Let's build the team around him.      We have lots to look forward too, Virtanen Boeser Horvat , Bear granny goldy, Dahlen sedins ( for one more year) and there's still frickn Sutter and Erickson (hope he turns it around) and our defence is stacked and improving with Hutton Treebeard, guddy Tanev, sketchy elder  and Pizza, still got Pedan and subban maybe gets a shot with a new coach if there are injuries again. Along with this years pick and Joulevie how ever you spell that, and other lower round picks like stukel who is doing alright. We have finally enough to replace the sedins, so let's let them retire or walk, sign a young superstar with some of their coin... and move on. This half rebuild ain't working. Im glad we didn't burn down the barn like some teAms but letting them go is a huge part of moving on. Keep em for next year to let the guys grow more but please everyone let's move on. God.

Idk man. I'm a huge Horvat fan and he sounds hungry as ever to have a huge offseason and take another step next year. 

But IMO Horvat still needs to take that next big step to truly be ready. Media and fans are relentless in this market and if Horvat was the true leader...7 assists and 0 goals in 17 games...He would see a huge backlash and he would be the one answering the tough questions to the media. He doesn't need that right now...

He needs to find his game playing the tough minutes and I believe he will. But why would we want him to struggle with confidence in producing at the next level and having to answer to Vancouver's scummy media after every game and practice..?? Same goes for any new young player. If the Sedins can still play...Let them answer the tough questions...We know they can handle it. And let our prospects be READY...Not just ABLE, to play in the NHL when it's time.

If the Sedins do have a bounce back year.. there's isn't any harm in leaving prospects to develop in another league. As long as there is another step for them to take there...Perhaps in a leadership role, tougher minutes, or more minutes even.

Interesting piece by Jeremy Davis at CA.  Says the Sedins still get the toughest d-matchups even late in the year.  

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/04/08/is-bo-horvat-being-shut-down-by-opponents-top-pairings/

I agree with with the comment pointing out that d matchups aren't everything, but I'm not sure this team is ready to toss them away just yet.  

I also thought they had better jump later in the year.  Can't ask for better place holders if you want some prospects to cook an extra season.

So many, "if' Sedins this," and, "if Sedins that," in this thread. 

It's evident they're not in their '10 -'12 prime years of performance. However, they can perform duties as 2nd liners, as they were pre 2007 when the WCE were the #1's. That being said....................... it'll be a couple of seasons or so. There is not a definitive #1 line as of yet except the Sedins and whoever is assigned their third. There in lies the rub. Who plays with the Sedins. 

It took the addition of Anson Carter with them to put 'em over the top, matching and surpassing what was then #1 WCE line. Clearly the Sedins are not on an upswing in performance as they were back then. Matching them with a speedy, gritty, soft handed winger is still an option, but who is that player. We have them, but try as WD did, no one was found. 

It's my hope that the next coach, whoever that is, will see this dilemma and act upon it. Play 'em 2nd line minutes with whoever or, split 'em up! 

Is there a future for them after the current contract?  Got a crystal ball?  Common sense says it all depends on how they do next year.  If they have a decent skilled winger to work with (not a Megna, not a Chaput or a Shore) they might have a good bounceback year.  So we keep'em on a year by year basis.  If they continue to drop in production even in a second line role, then you send them off with the best tribute party ever at the end of the season.  They themselves would know when the party's over.

Henrik - 15 goals, 50 points -27

Joe Thornton - 7 goals 50 points +7 

Of course we want them back, but need to at least make a real attempt to see if there is a way to deploy them better  5 on 5 to help deal with several issues:

• their decline in speed/increased speed of the league, 
  • to make other lines better, and
  • to help with youth development.

The only difference between Thornton and Henrik this year on production is on +/-, Joe's got better defensive/faster line mates in guys like Pavelski and now Hansen. We've seen the rotating door of RWs this year have little impact on their defensive play other than Hansen and we don't have an option like that anymore for next season. So to me putting them on different lines makes a lot of sense to at least try out.

54 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

So if these guys want to play till they're 45 the management is just going to scratch out a check every year and play them?  Be done already, next year is the last for them! Until they are gone and new leadership takes over, nothing will change.

I doubt the Sedins play past 38/39 , they will be 37 next season and if they have a slight resurgence to 60/65 point players and are given reduced responsibility I could see one more two year deal and if by the end of that contract they have not completely lost their games "Maybe. Maybe!" one more, one year deal as a last Hurrah at a Cup as third liners, as by that point we should have restocked the teams top 6 and top 4 and Demko should hopefully have taken over.

6 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

Is there a future for them after the current contract?  Got a crystal ball?  Common sense says it all depends on how they do next year.  If they have a decent skilled winger to work with (not a Megna, not a Chaput or a Shore) they might have a good bounceback year.  So we keep'em on a year by year basis.  If they continue to drop in production even in a second line role, then you send them off with the best tribute party ever at the end of the season.  They themselves would know when the party's over.

Exactly, Benning has stated it is up to the Sedins, if they feel ready to play another season they will sit down and as a collective figure out if it makes sense for everyone.

As you noted a non plug winger is key, the Sedins need someone to take the physical play away from the Sedins and allow them to play the skill game that they can when given some space to work with. Also, progression of players like Hutton, Stecher, Juolevi who can distribute the puck will be key to ant success the Sedins may yet experience in a lesser role, where winning games is not pinned on their production and or lack of.

19 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

Common sense isn't the way of the road around here. People were calling for the sedin's to be traded and exposed to the expansion draft all year lol.

I did say theoretically in the OP and it was more aimed at people who have the day their contract expires marked on the calendar. The same people who have drawn up future lineups without the Sedins all year long. I wanted to hear their opinion most. Because I'm assuming theyre thinking the Sedins will continue a steady decline .

I also argued what I thought was the main reason why those people would want them gone even after a resurgent season, which is to make room for future players. 

All theoretical, all in the OP.

They need a new approach, but as a second/third line, playing fewer minutes, deployed selectively against the lower d pairings, they'd be a hell of a weapon, Danny needs to shoot less like a baby and henrik needs to look at hockey like before his art Ross seasons and actually try and score.

Just now, Westcoasting said:

This right here...time to move on.

I know its not a popular opinion on here, but I am guessing that the majority of the older fans would agree. I'd rather they didn't come back next year.

Time to get a new brand of hockey back in Vancouver, a new image and identity. Canadian style. Guys like Koivu and Iginla. Guys like Chara and Stevens. Guys like Bo and Guddy.

I've been waiting for this for a long, long time.

The decision is being made for them... they don't really have a choice.  When age catches up with you, there is nothing you can do about it.  Gretzky said it best, although I'm paraphrasing:  it's not fair in a way, because as you get older and understand the game to the extend that it seems easy, your body doesn't allow you to play at the level you know is possible.  I don't believe the Sedins can do anything about their slide in performance...  they would have done something about it this year if they could have done anything... if they couldn't do anything about it this year, next year will be worse.

im not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.  Country singer lyrics, can't remember who... but great point.  All these old players can play to their previous level for a game or a shift.... but they can't do it consistently cause they don't have the energy.  The Sedins need to conserve energy in a game, you can see it in the lazy plays ....  there is no way they want to make lazy plays.  And there is no way they aren't aware of it.  But there is nothing they can do about it, they don't have the gas anymore. 

The Sedins know all this and so they are ready at the start of each season... they train better than almost anyone.  However, the second half Sedins are nothing like the first half Sedins.   Been this way for a while now.  There is no way they can prepare for an entire season... but they can prepare for the start..

for them to succeed they need to be 2nd or 3rd line players.  Diminished ice time and roles (the pp should be diminished as well) will enable them to be valuable contributors next year and potentially beyond.  The new coach will see it... when their pp production dips.  Unless the coach is not seeing reality - which is common, most people just see what they want to see - this transition will be made based on performance.  As it should.  And while they might start as first line players next year - for the last time... they won't end the season that way.  And there is nothing they can do about it, age is making the decision for them.

peace

On 12/04/2017 at 1:34 AM, RetroCanuck said:

I think with the change this organization is seeing, I can see a one year extensin at 2.5-3M each. But with up and coming young talents and the direction of the team, we need those spots. Henrik-Bo-Sutter-Gaunce-2017pick-Gaudette. One could easily see us in a couple years with. Bo-2017pick-Gaudette/Gaunce down the centre. Not to mention UFAs/trades and college free agents(surely we land one C sooner or later haha

I like you cap hit for re-signing but I worry a bit if they do bounce back what might happen when it comes to re-signing them.  If they do get sixty points each and want a two year deal at say 5 million each per year this teams rebuild will continue to stall.   Hopefully it will be more of the same possibly with a slight reduction and Benning can say no thanks and this team can move on.  

Archived