bohoforpresident

Is there a future for the Sedins after their current contracts?

Rate this topic

191 posts in this topic

Sorry but I am tired of the excuses why they didn't play well or why they didn't get it done. Tired of their defensive liabilities and pass,pass,pass,pass,pass til we are blue in the face. Their time has come and gone and now they are just holding the team back. Hank won't give up the "C" and they will not play on separate lines despite the obvious disability of having 2 very slow players on the same line.

That cap money can be spent on a way better player. We save 14 million with them off the books and at least half of that if we do not resign them.

Edler should find a new home as well but he is a little more useful to the team in the near foreseable future for now. When he wants to play he can be very effective but he is like the Sedins in that he does not appear to deem it important to play hard day in and day out. Maybe its a European thing I don't know but this attitude needs to change ASAP and will not change until these players are gone.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Sorry but I am tired of the excuses why they didn't play well or why they didn't get it done. Tired of their defensive liabilities and pass,pass,pass,pass,pass til we are blue in the face. Their time has come and gone and now they are just holding the team back. Hank won't give up the "C" and they will not play on separate lines despite the obvious disability of having 2 very slow players on the same line.

That cap money can be spent on a way better player. We save 14 million with them off the books and at least half of that if we do not resign them.

Edler should find a new home as well but he is a little more useful to the team in the near foreseable future for now. When he wants to play he can be very effective but he is like the Sedins in that he does not appear to deem it important to play hard day in and day out. Maybe its a European thing I don't know but this attitude needs to change ASAP and will not change until these players are gone.

You are entitled to your opinion re Sedins and Edler and I will just say I disagree with all of it.  But your last comment is not only off the mark, it is ignorant.  'A European thing' to not play hard day in and day out?  Did you think that when the Sedins took turns winning the Art Ross?  And tell that to guys like OV, Karlsson, Zetterberg, Laine, Chara... the list goes on...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next season will tell the tale of what follows after their contracts end. I thought the Twins were pretty upfront about their season and what they had to do to be effective.

 

Whether they want to come back or not is one question the other being whether management sees enough advantage in resigning them or not. Again, to an extent, it might come down to how the younger players progress next year. The assumption appears to be that Horvat can anchor a 1st line. That is a lot to put on a 4th year player. If the Twins can produce at a 2nd Line ppg then it might work. If Green is the coach it will be all about performance as to who gets the TOI.

 

If the Twins play a 2nd Line it drives Sutter and likely Ericksson down to the 3rd Line. A lot of CAP to play a 3rd line. Might work. Since I do not see the Twins as effective 3rd Line players my assumption is they likely retire after next season or choose to move to a CUP contender.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could tell the Sedins were dialing-it-in this year way back in October/November.  Everyone seems to blame their decline on age and skill - but, that's not the case.  They simply stopped trying.  They stopped competing (and these are players who had a rather low compete-level to start with). 

 

You DO NOT want players like that on your team.  Like ever (look no further than Messier).  No matter how good they were once upon a time.  And especially not when they are earning 20% of your cap.

 

Oh yeah, and then you have the fact that Loui spent 2 years trying to get onto this team, one of the worst teams in hockey, just to play with the Sedins - and, when he finally accomplishes it, they do this to him!  From Day 1, they ruined everything for him.  Their good friend.  The Sedins appear to have completely broken his spirit by doing this.  That's another $6 million thrown right into the trash.

 

If they had actually competed this season, we'd probably still have Hansen and Burrows too.  Two of the only players we had on our roster with heart...

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on how they're managed by the new coach, how they perform and how much they're willing to re-sign for.

 

There's also the concern of the new core not truly being able to take ownership until they're gone. So them re-signing (or not) has just as much to do with how ready the kids look to take over not only production but leadership and ownership. 

 

We'll know a lot more at this time next year. Too soon to make a definitive decision IMO. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be open to them returning but only if we get their combined cap hit to 5 or 6 million. I think they'd be valuable guys to have in the room mentoring our transition to youth but the price has to be pretty low. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

You are entitled to your opinion re Sedins and Edler and I will just say I disagree with all of it.  But your last comment is not only off the mark, it is ignorant.  'A European thing' to not play hard day in and day out?  Did you think that when the Sedins took turns winning the Art Ross?  And tell that to guys like OV, Karlsson, Zetterberg, Laine, Chara... the list goes on...

I have watched these guys since day 1 and I also seen Linden and Ronning play. The desire to win at all costs between these players is like night and day. The Twins play in the playoffs the exact same way as they do in  the regular season. Its sad to say but it is true. Same as the guys you mention above. There are exceptions to the rule and Lidstrom and Chara come to mind.

On the other hand, things look a lot different in the playoffs when you mention names like Linden, McLean ,Yzerman ,Lemieux ,Sakic, Brodeaur ,Crosby ,Toews , Roy, Gretzky , Neidermeyer etc.etc.etc. See the difference?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/04/2017 at 11:04 PM, ajhockey said:

If they can manage 60 points, I'd be okay with signing them for 1 or 2 more years at $5-6M per. If they have 40 point seasons, it's either one more year at $3.5M-$4.5M or retirement.

I remember Selanne and Kariya playing for $1 M per season with the Ducks with performance bonuses...perhaps JB/ TL can be creative enough to do something similar.

Play the Sedins as the third line and sign young, fast, skilled forwards with the increased cap space.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

 

Play the Sedins as the third line and sign young, fast, skilled forwards with the increased cap space.

Do you mean use the money to sign our own young players, or offer sheets? because young, fast, skilled free agents rarely if ever exist.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe vets have an important role on a team but the Second aren't it. They have become a huge defensive liability. Their effort at times are suspect. Them and Edler are on vacation mode. IMO not good for the young players. Team needs to move on

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I have watched these guys since day 1 and I also seen Linden and Ronning play. The desire to win at all costs between these players is like night and day. The Twins play in the playoffs the exact same way as they do in  the regular season. Its sad to say but it is true. Same as the guys you mention above. There are exceptions to the rule and Lidstrom and Chara come to mind.

On the other hand, things look a lot different in the playoffs when you mention names like Linden, McLean ,Yzerman ,Lemieux ,Sakic, Brodeaur ,Crosby ,Toews , Roy, Gretzky , Neidermeyer etc.etc.etc. See the difference?

The difference is those players won cups (aside from Linden and McLean). So basically, it seems like you're putting Linden and McLean in with players who have won cups due to personal bias and then claiming Linden and McLean are different than the Sedins even though Linden, McLean, and the Sedins have all made it to the SCF.

 

One thing I've noticed people miss when comparing the Sedins with Linden is that they are very different players. I get it that some people don't like what the Sedins have brought; however, to straight up say the desire to win is not there when both players have reached pretty much the same point in their careers as Linden, at the end of the day, the evidence on paper makes things fairly equal.. The Sedins did play a big part in distracting the opposition in that run which resulted in Kesler getting more time and space to score. Linden obviously played a big part in the 94 run. The evidence is right there with both.

Edited by The Lock
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shazzam said:

I believe vets have an important role on a team but the Second aren't it. They have become a huge defensive liability. Their effort at times are suspect. Them and Edler are on vacation mode. IMO not good for the young players. Team needs to move on

Much like Burr is rejuvenated in Ottawa, likely the Twins and Edler would experience the same renaissance if traded.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The difference is those players won cups (aside from Linden and McLean). So basically, it seems like you're putting Linden and McLean in with players who have won cups due to personal bias and then claiming Linden and McLean are different than the Sedins even though Linden, McLean, and the Sedins have all made it to the SCF.

 

One thing I've noticed people miss when comparing the Sedins with Linden is that they are very different players. I get it that some people don't like what the Sedins have brought; however, to straight up say the desire to win is not there when both players have reached pretty much the same point in their careers as Linden, at the end of the day, the evidence on paper makes things fairly equal.. The Sedins did play a big part in distracting the opposition in that run which resulted in Kesler getting more time and space to score. Linden obviously played a big part in the 94 run. The evidence is right there with both.

 

The difference is 'stoic' vs 'heart on their sleeve' and neither has anything to do with 'desire to win'. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Lock said:

The difference is those players won cups (aside from Linden and McLean). So basically, it seems like you're putting Linden and McLean in with players who have won cups due to personal bias and then claiming Linden and McLean are different than the Sedins even though Linden, McLean, and the Sedins have all made it to the SCF.

 

One thing I've noticed people miss when comparing the Sedins with Linden is that they are very different players. I get it that some people don't like what the Sedins have brought; however, to straight up say the desire to win is not there when both players have reached pretty much the same point in their careers, at the end of the day, the evidence on paper makes things fairly equal.. The Sedins did play a big part in distracting the opposition in that run which resulted in Kesler getting more time and space to score. Linden obviously played a big part in the 94 run. The evidence is right there with both.

I think you are misunderstanding my comparison. Its not that they just won cups but that they stepped up their games during the playoffs, it just so happens that MOST of them Won Stanley Cups to boot.  

Linden was forced to be a our top center because we had no one else and he stepped up to the plate in 94' and stepped up his game admirably. He was not the typical #1 Center but he made it work and almost pulled off a miracle that year.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a future for the twins after this contract; however it should not be playing in the NHL.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sedins don't shoot, don't score, are useless in the PP, their extra-passes creates countless turnovers, their lack of speed make them a defensive liability. Together with Chaput, their line gave up 75% of the Canucks goals scored by the opposition. They are probably decision makers in which young prospect can make this team even though they are not scouts. Obviously they don't like Virtanen as they openly criticized his work ethic. They probably don't like flashy Goldobin either as Hank only praised Boeser for being not flashy. I think there is no place for these faded stars after their contracts expire next year.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel they will sign one year contracts for a few years after this contract depending on their health and energy level.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It's kind of sad the way old legends go out in this city.  Smyl and Linden rode the pine for their final seasons.  Everyone complained about Naslund the exact same way they're complaining about the Sedins now.  Brodeur and McLean were traded unceremoniously.

 

The Sedins were second and third in scoring on the team.  If they want to continue playing here and for a discount, there's no way they wouldn't be the best third line in the NHL if that's where they slotted in.

 

People are talking about them like they are now the equivalent of Messier when he was here.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It's kind of sad the way old legends go out in this city.  Smyl and Linden rode the pine for their final seasons.  Everyone complained about Naslund the exact same way they're complaining about the Sedins now.  Brodeur and McLean were traded unceremoniously.

 

The Sedins were second and third in scoring on the team.  If they want to continue playing here and for a discount, there's no way they wouldn't be the best third line in the NHL if that's where they slotted in.

 

People are talking about them like they are now the equivalent of Messier when he was here.

Messier sucks

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.