The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there a future for the Sedins after their current contracts?

bohoforpresident

1 hour ago, Davathor said:

Actually I didn't bring up cup winners, I just asked since when is Toronto and Edmonton (who haven't won a single playoff round) a measuring stick for us? Still not satisfied with your answer either. Chicago and Pitt are still the measuring sticks, you've just been watching too much TSN and bought into the hype. Here's another one, why would I need to ask you about cup winners? You may want to sit down to read this, but I don't know you and your opinion really doesn't matter to me 

I'm not satisfied with your answer either because you didn't bother to answer my question.  Which player or players on the Ducks and Sharks are 38 years old and are playing on the third line?  They are cup winners correct?  We should be following their examples correct? 

Your opinion really doesn't matter to me either as your claim that the Sedins on the third line at age 38 would be better than the Bonino line that won a cup is laughable at best...

40 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I'm not satisfied with your answer either because you didn't bother to answer my question.  Which player or players on the Ducks and Sharks are 38 years old and are playing on the third line?  They are cup winners correct?  We should be following their examples correct? 

Your opinion really doesn't matter to me either as your claim that the Sedins on the third line at age 38 would be better than the Bonino line that won a cup is laughable at best...

I have 0 interest in completing this, or starting any future discussion with you. Take care

As great as the two of them have been, I believe their time is up. Never the fastest skaters in the world, their talent allowed them to be quick, rather than fast. Their reactions to getting pucks into open areas, and onto the sticks of sometimes disbelieving wingers (...how the F... did he see me?) caused them to be superstars. They were fully deserving of the awards each one got.

But now, Father Time has caught them. Sure, Big Joe is just as slow, but he's too bloody big for all but a few Dmen to handle. 6'1'' and 190 is not that big. The two will likely be asking for a contract (well, their agent will) in the neighborhood of what Sutter is making, or just a little less. No way. The twins have never been all that good on the PK (the one major blemish they had); neither one is capable of winning enough defensive zone draws to justify placing them in that scenario. They have become somewhat predictable on the PP, though their talent did show a few times this year. Add another year on their "tires", and they will just keep getting slower. They are not 3rd line type players, but that's pretty much where they are, now.

@Harvey Spector, you point out the lack of veteran leadership on the Laughs and Oilers, and their continual floundering (until this year). I see your point, but...where do you draw the line between veteran leadership and worn-out veterans? My opinion is that next year needs to be their last...period. I would rather see them retire with just a little tread left, than to keep playing and just flat out become an embarrassment, both to themselves and to whatever organization they remain with.

52 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

As great as the two of them have been, I believe their time is up. Never the fastest skaters in the world, their talent allowed them to be quick, rather than fast. Their reactions to getting pucks into open areas, and onto the sticks of sometimes disbelieving wingers (...how the F... did he see me?) caused them to be superstars. They were fully deserving of the awards each one got.

But now, Father Time has caught them. Sure, Big Joe is just as slow, but he's too bloody big for all but a few Dmen to handle. 6'1'' and 190 is not that big. The two will likely be asking for a contract (well, their agent will) in the neighborhood of what Sutter is making, or just a little less. No way. The twins have never been all that good on the PK (the one major blemish they had); neither one is capable of winning enough defensive zone draws to justify placing them in that scenario. They have become somewhat predictable on the PP, though their talent did show a few times this year. Add another year on their "tires", and they will just keep getting slower. They are not 3rd line type players, but that's pretty much where they are, now.

@Harvey Spector, you point out the lack of veteran leadership on the Laughs and Oilers, and their continual floundering (until this year). I see your point, but...where do you draw the line between veteran leadership and worn-out veterans? My opinion is that next year needs to be their last...period. I would rather see them retire with just a little tread left, than to keep playing and just flat out become an embarrassment, both to themselves and to whatever organization they remain with.

Great post and I agree 100%.  I think the leadership from the Canucks has to start with BO.  He IS the future captain, there is no disputing that.  After BO, you have Gudbranson, who was brought in for many reasons but one reason was for leadership.  Then you have Sutter and probably Miller if he is back for another year or two.  Dorsett is also a cagey veteran that can add leadership on the 4th line.  That should be enough really.  Once the kids get older another leader will come to the forefront.  Maybe it is Baertschi or even Boeser, who knows.  Sbisa is another guy that is a veteran presence, as long as he stays around.

The Sedins have been great for this City and they have had hall of fame careers.  Their numbers will certainly be retired and they will probably make it into the Hall of Fame. But as you have already stated, father time has caught up to them, just as it caught up to Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Bure, Linden and all the other greats of this game.  They have one more year to go and perhaps they can have a better year next year under a different coach with a better wingman than Megna.  But most certainly next year will be their last with Vancouver and the BO era will take effect starting in 2018.  

16 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Great post and I agree 100%.  I think the leadership from the Canucks has to start with BO.  He IS the future captain, there is no disputing that.  After BO, you have Gudbranson, who was brought in for many reasons but one reason was for leadership.  Then you have Sutter and probably Miller if he is back for another year or two.  Dorsett is also a cagey veteran that can add leadership on the 4th line.  That should be enough really.  Once the kids get older another leader will come to the forefront.  Maybe it is Baertschi or even Boeser, who knows.  Sbisa is another guy that is a veteran presence, as long as he stays around.

The Sedins have been great for this City and they have had hall of fame careers.  Their numbers will certainly be retired and they will probably make it into the Hall of Fame. But as you have already stated, father time has caught up to them, just as it caught up to Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, Bure, Linden and all the other greats of this game.  They have one more year to go and perhaps they can have a better year next year under a different coach with a better wingman than Megna.  But most certainly next year will be their last with Vancouver and the BO era will take effect starting in 2018.  

I agree with you and Father Ryan on this. Canucks have to move into the future and TOI for a younger group has to be priority. My hope is the Twins have a good enough season that CUP teams will be interested in taking them on for a run. I doubt that happens however.  

21 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

If the Sedins can't play in the top six, they shouldn't be in the lineup. They are offense only, especially now. Their back checking skills are pedestrian.

Ah...

Answer is no.

Both Hank and Danny's game will not translate well to 3rd line players.

Nazzy left the canucks after a  25 goal season....

Hank and Danny only got 15 each this year....    

Time is up and Sedins are both legends.  So many good memories.  But time to move on. 

Henrik passes are not as crisp as they used to be, actually same as Daniels, their skating remains the same, limit their minutes even more and take Edler off the top PP and put Stecher there.  Stecher will actually feed the puck to a waiting Boeser.  No hockey in the off season too, they are getting worn out faster, but if theu r minutes are reduced, maybe they can be used more effectively.  Plus use only in offensive situations, for God's sake, don't put them in the defensive zone or on the PK either, that's what we have Horvat, Sutter, and Gaunce for.

Please NO!  Just NO... after next season we have 14 mil in cap space to sign bigger/faster hard nosed players to help to improve this team from pussies to tigers to find a playoff spot in the west!  Do we really need to keep them? F NO!

No Chances Hank and Danny are signed here in Van after their current deal.

It is no longer 2011 Canuck fans.... Time to move forward.

Love to see Edler and / or Tanev moved this summer.

Hopefully we don't protect Sutter in the expansion draft.

Soon we should hit rock bottom.....   and then we reload for our CUP. 

I'd expect if the Twins have any amount of gas left in the tank - a choice between a lowball NHL contract or ending their careers in the SEL wouldn't be a tough choice for them.  Just my opinion though.

A sad though when they do retire.  Regardless of how they're playing right now - two likely HHOF forwards....we might not see another in a Canuck uniform (in their primes) for a long time.

Would love to see the twins brought back after they're final year, not as players but as either coaches, trainers, executive etc.. they are life long Canucks and deserve to stay within the organization if they so choose.  Has any one heard if they will return to sweden after retirement? I almost guarantee they stay in van where they've been raising their families for years.

The Sedins play at borderline NHL pace now. Their cycle, once a means of creativity, has been relegated to a survival tool. It's not creative anymore. They keep moving the puck to keep from surrendering it, but they don't create nothing off it any longer. It's the equivalent of dogpaddling just to keep from drowning. They have their final year to go, but I hope that is the end here. Room must be made for up-and-comers on all lines. Having the Sedins cluttering up the roster on the second or third line is assinine. Jim and Trevor need to be clear with them early next season that new offers will not be forthcoming. 

It's was all the lazy penalties on their back check and a horrendous plus minus. Hockey loves the scorer but not if their going to cherry pick and not help with some of the tough minutes in the defensive zone. Watching the playoffs I remember how hard it was for the Sedin's in these tough physical games.  

The last time I saw Guy Lafluer at the Coliseum he never left the red line tapping the ice for the pass all game.

3rd line? I don't think that is a realistic option.

Archived