The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is there a future for the Sedins after their current contracts?

bohoforpresident

13 hours ago, rypien=hero said:

Would love to see the twins brought back after they're final year, not as players but as either coaches, trainers, executive etc.. they are life long Canucks and deserve to stay within the organization if they so choose.  Has any one heard if they will return to sweden after retirement? I almost guarantee they stay in van where they've been raising their families for years.

They're leaning towards retiring here because this is where their kids were born, made friends, and, gone to school. They said the plan is stay another year here after retirement before making the decision on staying or going back to Sweden. They also said there'd be no SEL hockey, they intend to retire Canucks.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It's was all the lazy penalties on their back check and a horrendous plus minus. Hockey loves the scorer but not if their going to cherry pick and not help with some of the tough minutes in the defensive zone. Watching the playoffs I remember how hard it was for the Sedin's in these tough physical games.  

The last time I saw Guy Lafluer at the Coliseum he never left the red line tapping the ice for the pass all game.

3rd line? I don't think that is a realistic option.

I agree. When you think how much the game has changed since the Twins began their careers it has to be tough. They have to be top 6 players they cannot play a good enough d-game to be 3rd liners. Ultimately it comes down to TOI. How much of it does the Twins need to be offensively effective. If you do give them that TOI then what is the purpose of doing so? Playoffs? Very short sighted if that is the situation. When it comes to TOI it has to go to younger players who they can develop  into core players or raise their value enough that other teams might want them in a trade. A classic example might be a choice between giving Danny the TOI or Boucher?  

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It's was all the lazy penalties on their back check and a horrendous plus minus. Hockey loves the scorer but not if their going to cherry pick and not help with some of the tough minutes in the defensive zone. Watching the playoffs I remember how hard it was for the Sedin's in these tough physical games.  

The last time I saw Guy Lafluer at the Coliseum he never left the red line tapping the ice for the pass all game.

3rd line? I don't think that is a realistic option.

Exactly what I have been trying to say for years. Awesome "regular season" players and "entertainers" but when it comes down to the other "nitty-gritty" aspects of the game they faulter big time. I would like to see the leaders of the team lead in "ALL" aspects of the game not just being "gentlemanly" players or great with public relations. I want a leader who will go to "WAR" in the playoffs and work hard on the ice day in and day out.

• 1 month later...
On 2017-4-13 at 7:05 AM, bohoforpresident said:

Idk man. I'm a huge Horvat fan and he sounds hungry as ever to have a huge offseason and take another step next year. 

But IMO Horvat still needs to take that next big step to truly be ready. Media and fans are relentless in this market and if Horvat was the true leader...7 assists and 0 goals in 17 games...He would see a huge backlash and he would be the one answering the tough questions to the media. He doesn't need that right now...

He needs to find his game playing the tough minutes and I believe he will. But why would we want him to struggle with confidence in producing at the next level and having to answer to Vancouver's scummy media after every game and practice..?? Same goes for any new young player. If the Sedins can still play...Let them answer the tough questions...We know they can handle it. And let our prospects be READY...Not just ABLE, to play in the NHL when it's time.

If the Sedins do have a bounce back year.. there's isn't any harm in leaving prospects to develop in another league. As long as there is another step for them to take there...Perhaps in a leadership role, tougher minutes, or more minutes even.

One more year riding coattails will only do good I agree. 

The stress of being #1 is unfair. I love the beans.a lot of us blame them for the fall but they carried us ( with kess and burr and others) for a long time. Its just time for change. My co worker wants them back at 3.5 for 1 year.. I say 2 max for supporting offense. Let the kids play they can be like a set of Sundins..lol juat a pair of matts. But hey they killed it for so long... They had an amazing shift beggining of the year and I was jumping off the couch and saying they still got it! You see this! Holy S#!* but they do need to drop 5 mins a game and let boho and company take most of that ice time.. 1/3 to Sutters line. 

UNLESS THE CANUCKS CAN GET SOME "REAL" TALENT OTHER THAN BO AT CENTER WE ARE REALLY GOING TO BE IN TROUBLE WHEN THE SEDINS RETIRE.

THEY WERE OVER WORKED LAST SEASON, AND THE FACT THAT HALF THE TIME THEY WERE PLAYING WITH AHL CALIBER TALENT DIDN'T EXACTLY ENSTIL CONFIDENCE IN OUR BELOVED TEAM.

AS FAR AS PHYSICALITY,THAT IS FOR FAR LESS TALENTED GENTS TO MAKE A NAME IN THE GAME.SUPERSTAR PLAYERS DON'T NEED TO THROW DOWN, IN REALITY,THEIR JOBS ARE TO SCORE AND SET UP THOSE AWESOME PLAYS WE HAVE GROWN SO ACCUSTOM TO OVER SO MANY YEARS.

I AM CONFIDENT THAT GMJB WILL SCOUT US SOME REAL GOOD CENTER MEN .

I HOPE WE DON'T GET SCREWED AT THE DRAFT AGAIN AND WE FIND SOME GEMS TO HELP US WITH THE TRANSITION TO WINNING AGAIN.

MAYBE EVEN A STANLEY CUP,THAT WOULD BE GREAT FOR THE WHOLE PROVINCE.

These are both HOF calibre players and deserve to be respected but unless they both elevate their game into the 50 point plus and turn the plus/minus meter into positive territory, I would not offer them much at all.   They have made a boatload with Vancouver and are beyond set for life and if they want to stick around to assist the rebuild then it would have to be at a very team friendly rate of not much more than 2 or 2.5 per player and then for one year plus perhaps a team option second.    

Sounds harsh but you cannot have a big chunk of your cap space spent on players of this age and present (and declining) ability and be remotely serious about a rebuild.  The key aspects of professionalism etc. that has to be passed onto Horvat and a few others will have happened or will be reinforced this coming season.

Sorry Hank and Danny but if decision was mine, you would probably walk as I would be insulting you with the offer if I offered anything at all.

If they play well I'd trade them at the deadline to a contender for 2 2nds 2018 and 2019 or whichever the team has and take back a bad player on a good team ( Cap dump )

They deserve a chance to win the cup and then id resign them in the offseason. They don't hurt us coming back because we suck anyway and won't have a second line without them here

I think they do have a place on this team, at least for one more season after this one. I can think of three reasons.

1. This season will be the first season where Bo will be competing for first line minutes as well as prime PP time. That internal competition for prime ice time can only be good for Bo as he adapts to tighter checking and learns to deal with stretches of scoring droughts that he will inevitably experience along the way. Having the Sedins share that offensive load will make it easier for Bo. And, although I think Bo will get around 55-65 points next season, it's also possible that he settles around 45-55 range as well. In that case, the Sedins are absolutely needed next season to shelter Bo from having to carry all the offensive burden going into next season. Having the Sedins around takes pressure off from Bo until Bo is truly ready to take over. 

2. Basically, we don't need to look further than the Sedins themselves to know how important it is to have a bit of shelter early on in your career. Imagine 2001-05 seasons without Naslund and Bertuzzi, where we would be forced to thrust the Sedins into the first line roles right away. They probably would have be playing in Sweden right now. Until 05-06 season where the Sedins went near PPG, we didn't know for sure if the Sedins were ever going to become the offensive threats that they were capable of. Unless Bo comes in next season, and scores, 65+ points, I think there is definitely place for the Sedins. And even if Bo scores 65+ points next season, I think Sedins are good enough to fill up the second line roles until the young players are truly ready to take over from them.

3. The important of having quality players filling in your second line is not just for the playoffs, but to give the young guys that sense of getting better. If you watched Doughty interview on TSN recently, basically he talks about how he actually never thought that they would win in 2012. It just happened when he didn't expect it. He said it was important for the team to continue to get better together. That's why that second line roles for the Sedins are important after this season. If you take them off when the other young players are not ready, then you may lose that momentum of improving season after season. You look at that LA team in 2012, and they had veterans. You can't just play everyone under 25. You need some quality veterans that can fill their roles well. And who knows, as the young guys drive this team forward, we might be able to contend sooner than we thought.

5 hours ago, DADDYROCK said:

UNLESS THE CANUCKS CAN GET SOME "REAL" TALENT OTHER THAN BO AT CENTER WE ARE REALLY GOING TO BE IN TROUBLE WHEN THE SEDINS RETIRE.

THEY WERE OVER WORKED LAST SEASON, AND THE FACT THAT HALF THE TIME THEY WERE PLAYING WITH AHL CALIBER TALENT DIDN'T EXACTLY ENSTIL CONFIDENCE IN OUR BELOVED TEAM.

AS FAR AS PHYSICALITY,THAT IS FOR FAR LESS TALENTED GENTS TO MAKE A NAME IN THE GAME.SUPERSTAR PLAYERS DON'T NEED TO THROW DOWN, IN REALITY,THEIR JOBS ARE TO SCORE AND SET UP THOSE AWESOME PLAYS WE HAVE GROWN SO ACCUSTOM TO OVER SO MANY YEARS.

I AM CONFIDENT THAT GMJB WILL SCOUT US SOME REAL GOOD CENTER MEN .

I HOPE WE DON'T GET SCREWED AT THE DRAFT AGAIN AND WE FIND SOME GEMS TO HELP US WITH THE TRANSITION TO WINNING AGAIN.

MAYBE EVEN A STANLEY CUP,THAT WOULD BE GREAT FOR THE WHOLE PROVINCE.

old.jpg.ca4b0d440164f29644ccb042f5100234.jpg

Maybe there is one or two years left in the Sedins after this year and a varying degrees of pay and production.  Personally I'm not sure they play a third line game, or a shut down second line game, chasing pucks unless it's the cycle in the offensive zone, isnt their game.  Benning is going to have a tough decision to make next summer, whatever he does I'm fine with as long as they are one year contracts and in line with am average of what they produce over the last two years, and if it's a decline again, that is taken into consideration to continue.

I cannot see the point in another contract. It comes down to how many vets you carry and how well the young prospects are developing. The other aspect is how well their game is standing up. Quite frankly I do not see enough of a versitile game from the Twins that will allow them to morph into a defensive game. I do see that in Sutter, Erickson and Dorsett. Horvat-Baer-Granlund are all coming into their own. 

I was hoping the Twins would waive their NMC so they could be exposed to Vegas. Daon did that for his team in Arizona. Realistically Vegas never would have picked up one of the Twins.  

Ideally, the twins can re-sign for 1 year contracts at $2.5 mil each. Then we can flip them at the deadline for picks.

They get another shot at the cup, and they can return more assets in furthering the rebuild for the team. Win-Win. 

How easy it is that snowflake fans throw away our Canuck heroes away after admirable years of service to this team and for the community.

I still believe they have roles on this team even if they are not going to get the majority of the playing time.  

The coaching team will have to devise a plan to shelter their minutes to save their legs for more offensive moments of the game.    Experience can still be a factor over youth so long as they don't exhaust themselves.  

The Sedins are still going to be a factor going forward.  They are class acts and great leaders for this organization. 

9 hours ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

Yes and it will be here. I will guess that they put in at least two more years. I will also guess it's 5.5-6mil contracts. 

OK lets look at the facts:

1. Not #1 line players anymore. They would need an extremely quick , hard checking winger(ala Hansen) to make up for their downfalls if they were to assemble a #2 line for next year only.

2. Not PK's or shutdown players

3. Were never fast or hard checkers and their "go to" skills of passing and shooting skills have diminished in the last 2 years

4. Overall point production has diminished to about 50%

5. PP effectiveness has diminished significantly over the last couple of years in which they received the most of the ice time.

So..........Am I missing something? Which part of their game constitutes 5.5 to 6 million dollar contracts after their current contract expires?

It seems too many people want to hang on to the past. Let's face it, the Sedins have become a shell of their former selves. If it were only one Sedin then I could see a re-signing being practical after next year, but of course there's two of them and they always have to play together. They always have to have offensive zone starts, top powerplay time, and no penalty kill. They had all this last year and were still largely ineffective in relative terms, how much more effective are they going to be this upcoming season with or possibly without these benefits and potentially after that with a re-signing? Not at all would be my guess. Great guys or not, Canuck legends or not, every player's time comes. It's time to move on.

On 4/24/2017 at 0:36 PM, EdgarM said:

Exactly what I have been trying to say for years. Awesome "regular season" players and "entertainers" but when it comes down to the other "nitty-gritty" aspects of the game they faulter big time. I would like to see the leaders of the team lead in "ALL" aspects of the game not just being "gentlemanly" players or great with public relations. I want a leader who will go to "WAR" in the playoffs and work hard on the ice day in and day out.

I'd add... a leader that doesn't turn the other cheek.  Tired of watching this team get bullied/owned physically so often.

12 hours ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

Yes and it will be here. I will guess that they put in at least two more years. I will also guess it's 5.5-6mil contracts. 

Please no.

5 mill combined I'd prob say no. Younger, bigger, & faster please. This book needs a new direction.

3 hours ago, EastVanCanuck said:

How easy it is that snowflake fans throw away our Canuck heroes away after admirable years of service to this team and for the community.

I still believe they have roles on this team even if they are not going to get the majority of the playing time.  

The coaching team will have to devise a plan to shelter their minutes to save their legs for more offensive moments of the game.    Experience can still be a factor over youth so long as they don't exhaust themselves.  

The Sedins are still going to be a factor going forward.  They are class acts and great leaders for this organization. 

Climate change has gotta reduce this snowflake-metaphor to a tear on yer cheek. I'm weary of people hauling out this tired expression.

Would also argue 'Snowflakes' wanna hang on to that which makes them feel comfy/familiar.

Offer them off-ice opportunities, outa' respect. That's fine & dandy.

It's high time to start fresh with youthful-enthusiasm. 

Archived