The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking for thoughts on Vilardi as the 2nd or 3rd pick in the NHL Entry Draft

sockeye

46 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Looking at this picture would anybody know 6 years later that this would be the best player on the planet. lol.

10. BABYFACED CONNOR

58f165e83af79_McJesus13yrsold.jpg.e489bf2649b1d3cbad10ef8657bacfe2.jpg

via pintrest.com

From his days with the Erie Otters, it was evident that this kid was the real deal. Although he looked like a 13 year old that couldn’t even lift a five pound dumbbell on a good day, the kid had once in a lifetime skill. He cemented his legacy during his final OHL season, scoring 120 points in 47 games. Oh, and don’t forget his playoff performance, scoring 49 points in 20 games.

His NHL rookie year didn’t do his skill justice, as it was shortened due to injury. This year, however, we’ve seen his brilliance first hand, as not only does he lead the league in points but, more importantly, he’s leading the Oilers back into the post-season after a staggering decade long drought. Looking at his campaign, he’ll definitely be a Hart Trophy contender.

Don cherry knew. He rambled about McDavid for years and years saying he was gonna be the best.

3 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Yeah exactly. I've actually seen Vilardi play a handful of games. He's been the best player on his team every game I've watched. People in love with Necas... have you guys even seen him play before? 

vilardi seems to be getting a lot of fan fare here.  makes me curious.  all talking heads kinda just pass over him in talking.

I should go back and watch more of Bob's preview shows.  Maybe I can better paint myself a picture of this young chap.

21 hours ago, sockeye said:

Everybody is talking about Nico Hischier and Nolan Patrick being the top 2 picks of this years NHL entry draft.  I would like to know more about Gabriel Vilardi who is often slated as the number 3 pick.  After all, there's no guarantee (with the lottery) that we can land either of those top 2 picks.  

I'm intrigued by Vilardi because of what I've seen in a few video clips and because he has done very well on an OHL team (Windor Spitfires) that went through lots of injuries; and the team was not considered one of the best OHL teams this year.  Rocky Thompson (Head Coach of the Spitfires) was interviewed on TSN 1040 a few weeks ago and he had lots of good things to say about Vilardi (good character, makes players around him better, a leader through the injury spell, etc.). 

Another thing to consider is that Vilardi is 11 months younger than Patrick.  Lots of development can happen in 11 months at their age.  

Let's assume that we fall to third in the draft.  I'd like other people's insight on Vilardi or other top 5 picks.

The consensus is... if you are picking top 5 this year, as the Canucks are, you are gonna get a good player.....like you just are.

Time will tell if they are "real gud" though.

I will be content with any of:

Patrick; Hischier,Vallardi, Middelstadt,

Big 4 on most boards in terms of NHL ready currently

At #5  Necas,Makar,Glass,Lilegren,

Things get interesting...

Hopefully the Canucks don't pick worse than 3.

4 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Looking at this picture would anybody know 6 years later that this would be the best player on the planet. lol.

10. BABYFACED CONNOR

58f165e83af79_McJesus13yrsold.jpg.e489bf2649b1d3cbad10ef8657bacfe2.jpg

via pintrest.com

From his days with the Erie Otters, it was evident that this kid was the real deal. Although he looked like a 13 year old that couldn’t even lift a five pound dumbbell on a good day, the kid had once in a lifetime skill. He cemented his legacy during his final OHL season, scoring 120 points in 47 games. Oh, and don’t forget his playoff performance, scoring 49 points in 20 games.

His NHL rookie year didn’t do his skill justice, as it was shortened due to injury. This year, however, we’ve seen his brilliance first hand, as not only does he lead the league in points but, more importantly, he’s leading the Oilers back into the post-season after a staggering decade long drought. Looking at his campaign, he’ll definitely be a Hart Trophy contender.

Question: What does that have to do with this years draft?

51 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

vilardi seems to be getting a lot of fan fare here.  makes me curious.  all talking heads kinda just pass over him in talking.

I should go back and watch more of Bob's preview shows.  Maybe I can better paint myself a picture of this young chap.

I believe CDC is overrating Vilardi.  While he's a good prospect, I'd call this year a bust if we finish 2nd last and only end up with Vilardi to show for it

1 hour ago, mpt said:

I believe CDC is overrating Vilardi.  While he's a good prospect, I'd call this year a bust if we finish 2nd last and only end up with Vilardi to show for it

Agreed.  I'd rather trade the pick than waste it on Vilardi.  Not enough offensive skill to have any hope of becoming  a 1C.  He's this year's Dubois as the most overrated guy in the draft.

1 hour ago, mpt said:

I'd say finishing with the 2nd worst record makes this season a bust myself 

Just now, Warhippy said:

We were going to be bad regardless.  Going into next season with a good pick in addition to the deadline acquisitions, along with finally having a real coach is all that can reasonably be hoped for.

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Can't argue with you there.  Just makes it seem less brutal if we add a guy like Patrick to our roster

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

The consensus is... if you are picking top 5 this year, as the Canucks are, you are gonna get a good player.....like you just are.

Time will tell if they are "real gud" though.

I will be content with any of:

Patrick; Hischier,Vallardi, Middelstadt,

Big 4 on most boards in terms of NHL ready currently

At #5  Necas,Makar,Glass,Lilegren,

Things get interesting...

Hopefully the Canucks don't pick worse than 3.

That always seems to be the case but every year usually has a bust pick in there that shows up. It's not an easy thing to do, draft a kid at 18 and hope his game trends upwards and stays at the top of the game.

8 hours ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

Agreed with that. In Bennings tenure we've had a lot of success picked players from the USHL system and in general the number of players that have had NHL success after spending a year or two in college hockey seems to definitely be on the rise. I'd be all for trying to get that 2nd overall pick and draft Hischier though. I think Hischier has a much higher upside then what we've seen just yet. After all, this was his first year ever playing on an NHL sized rink combined with having to learn English and everything that comes along with that transition. I suspect next year might be a big breakout year no matter where he plays 

Exactly this. I know JB made a hard play for Reinhart in that draft trying to trade up and I think he should do the same this season, he'll have far more success as well because now we have useful pieces to trade (young D-men, Tanev). Hirschier gives us a much better top-6 than Vilardi or Mittelstatd. He's a two-way playmaking center who can play a gritty game as well, and may have some nice Swiss chemistry with Baertschi. The exact type of center this team needs to complement Horvat and replace Henrik. Hirschier gives us that 1-2 punch that we had with Hank-Kesler, and that most Cup contending teams have now. Mittelstatd or Vilardi aren't really that elite and aren't putting up as big offensive numbers as Hirschier so I worry they're more like 2nd or 3rd line centers in the future, which is all well and good, but we really need someone to push Horvat for ice-time, not someone to strictly play below him.

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

No doubt. The #1 priority of this team has to be finding a #1 center to replace Hank. I don't think after Patrick a true # 1 center exists. Maybe Hischier could fit that role down the road if all goes well but I'm not sold just by what scouts are saying. If we land a pick outside the top 2 I'd want to se JB look to trade it for a potential #1 center.

16 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

I am very high on Vilardi due to his scoring, size and other intangibles. His pedigree could take a big load off of BoHo.

Hope to get either 2nd or 3rd overall. Patrick's recent health situation worries me. 

I don't get the feeling Vilardi is a true #1 offensive center in the NHL just from what the scouts are saying.

22 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

I am very high on Vilardi due to his scoring, size and other intangibles. His pedigree could take a big load off of BoHo.

Hope to get either 2nd or 3rd overall. Patrick's recent health situation worries me. 

4 hours ago, mpt said:

That would suck if we drop to 3rd or lower for sure. I think Patrick is the true prize of the draft. Hischier is just another Niederiter if you ask me. I mean his stats aren't even close to Mackinnons yet he's some CDC darling to the point that some on here believe should go ahead of Patrick. For the love of Pete

19 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

That would suck if we drop to 3rd or lower for sure. I think Patrick is the true prize of the draft. Hischier is just another Niederiter if you ask me. I mean his stats aren't even close to Mackinnons yet he's some CDC darling to the point that some on here believe should go ahead of Patrick. For the love of Pete

Maybe if you watched Hischier play instead of stat-watching and blindly comparing him to Niederreiter who doesn't even play the same way, you'd know he's a challenger for 1st. 

Also coming out of this draft with a Neiderreiter would be pretty good considering, the talent pool of this year's draft. 

11 hours ago, nowhereman said:

The real question, how many people in this thread have actually seen Vilardi or any of his competition play?

I love threads like these. People form such cold, hard opinions, based pretty much on the opinions of others.

I've seen Vilardi play about 8 times this year. Every game he was Windsors best player. He never gives up on the play. He's really big and uses his body really well to shield the puck down low. His board work is great. He's not fast but he's not slow either. He's quick to loose pucks. High iq, good hands. 

13 hours ago, The Aquamen said:

Thought you said something else sorry bro, BUT you did imply that we need size to compete, ie how they are 6'3 200+ pounds. This organization needs skill, size whatever nice to have it but we need SKILL up and down our line up

The Edmonton Oilers say hi. Size, skill and speed and add physicality. Canucks are woefully short of all of the above in their forward group. The question you might ask is how many smaller skilled guys can a roster have? From what I can see the only player with size and hopefully skill who might come up is Virtanen. Boeser at 195 pounds is a move in the right direction. Losing Zach Kassian was a serious set back to the org. I am not pointing fingers just stating a reality that the Canucks are no where near big enough to be serious Western Conference contenders.

The organization needs a 1C who is + 200 pounds. At #2 pick Benning should be able to draft that player. IMHO you do not take that high a pick and spend it on a talented small winger or even center unless he is a generational talent. It comes down to BPA or the priority org need. To me the org need should carry the day in this draft. 

Archived