The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Juolevi+Center (Top 5 Pick) vs. Tkachuk+Liljegren

Well if we win a top 2 pick it's a no brainer for me that Juolevi + Patrick or Hischier is better than Tkachuk plus Patrick or Hischeir. I guess the only argument is really will Liljegren be better than Juolevi?

Is Liljegren or has he ever been better than Olli?

Maybe offensively, but not as an all round D in my opinion.

Benning passed on Tkachuk, because he still had his eggs in the Jake Virtanen basket. He was/is counting on Jake to fill that power forward role. After watching the memorial cup last year, Tkachuk seemed like an absolute no-brainer, and I honestly thought he was going to be picked 4th overall. I couldn't believe that he fell to us, and when Benning said "From the London Knights.." I thought it was a sure thing he'd say "..the Vancouver Canucks are proud to select Matthew Tkachuk". Didn't happen.

I do believe Juolevi will be a solid defenseman for us, and you can't win games without high end defenseman . Whether we picked the BPA at #5 remains to be seen. I'm thinking we didn't, but I'll be glad to be proven wrong. History shows that picking defenseman that high in the draft is a total crapshoot (Bogosian, Gudbranson, Schenn, E. Johnson, Barker, Whitney, Pitkanen....the list goes on and it's frightening).

I yelled 'Oh, you've gotta be kidding me, this goddamn team!' at the tv when we took Juolevi instead of Tkachuk. 

And, that pick is only looking worse and worse each passing month.  Victor Mete was chosen almost 100 picks behind Juolevi - and out-played him almost the entire season.  Kind of like how everyone in the minors has out-played Virtanen since we drafted him.

Juolevi should have been absolutely dominant this season.  But, he wasn't.  At all.  He was rather far from dominant (and got passed on his team's depth-chart by someone who should never have passed him).  It was rather disappointing.  Extremely disappointing.

If they were to re-run the drafts, Juolevi doesn't go anywhere near the Top-5.  And, Virtanen doesn't even go in the 1st round.

Like seemingly always, we tossed our top picks right into the trash.  This team and it's managment...

Tkachuck Horvat Boeser 

one can dream.

They need a Getzlaf next. They need skill. 

I almost wonder if JB won't make a package deal to get another top pick or an impact player. Maybe get one of Philli's D or something crazy.

I'd like to see what Hutton and Goldy would fetch. Or Hutton and Sven. What's Trouba worth? Lowry? The team needs some size to go with the skill. 

I'm incredibly low on Liljegren. There are about 4 dmen from the last draft (Joulevi, Sergachev, McAvoy, Chychrun) I'd rather pick over him. Even if Tkachuk turns out the better player over Joulevi, I consider drafting Liljegren too much of a handicap. 

2 minutes ago, Great Granny said:

We also have to keep in mind that there's no way in hell Willie would have allowed Tkachuk to play this last year. He would've spent this last season in London without question.

Based on what? We had an even easier roster to crack then Calgary. 

4 minutes ago, Great Granny said:

We also have to keep in mind that there's no way in hell Willie would have allowed Tkachuk to play this last year. He would've spent this last season in London without question.

Correct that job was firmly grabbed by Megna and Chaput.

2 minutes ago, Great Granny said:

Based on WILLIE!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand the irrational hate on this guy. He's played players who were a lot less prepared for the NHL than Tkachuk (McCann, Virtanen, Hutton, Stetcher, Horvat). 

What about sticking with Juolevi, AND picking Liljegrin?  

Chances are we are going to be just as bad next year, and there are several franchise players in the next draft. 

We could have 2 potential number 1 defencmen.    One more D focused, and one more offence.  

Then what ever top pick forward we get next year.  

Building from the net out. 

I think we have our goalie in Demko. 

Juolevi and Liljegrin could end up as an all star pairing. 

1 hour ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

I yelled 'Oh, you've gotta be kidding me, this goddamn team!' at the tv when we took Juolevi instead of Tkachuk. 

And, that pick is only looking worse and worse each passing month.  Victor Mete was chosen almost 100 picks behind Juolevi - and out-played him almost the entire season.  Kind of like how everyone in the minors has out-played Virtanen since we drafted him.

Juolevi should have been absolutely dominant this season.  But, he wasn't.  At all.  He was rather far from dominant (and got passed on his team's depth-chart by someone who should never have passed him).  It was rather disappointing.  Extremely disappointing.

If they were to re-run the drafts, Juolevi doesn't go anywhere near the Top-5.  And, Virtanen doesn't even go in the 1st round.

Like seemingly always, we tossed our top picks right into the trash.  This team and it's managment...

You realize that Juolevi was played as the top pairing shutdown guy all season, didn't get much PP, and still put up nearly a PPG, right?

44 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I don't understand the irrational hate on this guy. He's played players who were a lot less prepared for the NHL than Tkachuk (McCann, Virtanen, Hutton, Stetcher, Horvat). 

Horvat (3 years of junior), Stecher and Hutton (22 years old; out of college) were more 'ready' than Tkachuk, if you're using experience as your measuring tool.

I'd argue that Virtanen and McCann didn't really get to "play". That first season was especially wasted on them. They were spot shifted 6 to 8 mins of ice time, in between 3-4 games of being a healthy scratch. They called it their "development plan", as though they had it all mapped out. Then they trade McCann, and give Virtanen the same treatment as year one before sending him down to Utica. I hold management and coaching equally responsible for the mishandling of Jake and Jared. If you're going to keep them in your lineup, you better be prepared to have a spot for them, and be ready to teach and coach. Not every young player is going to have a 40 year old head on their shoulders, like Bo.

My fantasy draft system had us picking Tkachuk over Juolevi and Ehlers over Virtanen.  Too bad I wasn't drafting for the Nucks, but I could understand why Benning made those picks.  He wanted size with the Virtanen pick to go up against the heavy teams.  He wanted Juolevi because of the need for future defensive depth.

Note to self:

When players like Tkachuk falls into your lap, you pick him...it was a "for sure" thing...as you can see he is contributing now.

The BPA when Canucks picked was Tkachuk.

If the Canucks don't need a player of his calibre, which is as ignorant as a fan can get if they think that, then you make a hockey trade like the Preds and Blue jackets made.

We can always say what if we got Nylander and Tkachuk which who knows if it would have happened. One thing is for sure we should go after a C this year if we can, and next year depending on where we land get the best player available. Canucks are being smart and got Joulevi who in the future can be traded for a star player. It is easy to get good forwards but not defenceman.

Yes Tkachuk would have been good but we are rebuilding over the next few years to come so get a defenceman and Virtanen who can be forces to be reckoned with in a few years.

Archived