The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comparing our prospects

JAVALE MCGEE

Just what the title says. Compare our prospects to NHLers.

Boeser - Boeser reminds me of Jeff Skinner. He will be a 25+ goalscorer almost every year, and the rest of the NHL will wonder how he became this good. 

Virtanen - Virtanen reminds me of Zack Kassian. Jake won't be a top 6 in my opinion, but he will be a solid top 9 in the NHL. He will hit hard, and protect our teammates just like Kass.

Gaudette - Gaudette reminds me of Eric Fehr. Gaudette won't be as good as many of us think, but he will be a good penalty killer, and a 3rd/4th line centre.

Dahlen - Dahlen reminds me of Daniel Alfredsson. He has a very nice skill set, and his speed will lead to easy goals. 

Goldobin - Goldobin reminds me of Dylan Larkin. He won't have lots of points, but he will have lots of speed and a good shot.

Tell me your comparisons or tell me how mine are.

27 minutes ago, JAVALE MCGEE said:

Just what the title says. Compare our prospects to NHLers.

Boeser - Boeser reminds me of Jeff Skinner. He will be a 25+ goalscorer almost every year, and the rest of the NHL will wonder how he became this good. 

Virtanen - Virtanen reminds me of Zack Kassian. Jake won't be a top 6 in my opinion, but he will be a solid top 9 in the NHL. He will hit hard, and protect our teammates just like Kass.

Gaudette - Gaudette reminds me of Eric Fehr. Gaudette won't be as good as many of us think, but he will be a good penalty killer, and a 3rd/4th line centre.

Dahlen - Dahlen reminds me of Daniel Alfredsson. He has a very nice skill set, and his speed will lead to easy goals. 

Goldobin - Goldobin reminds me of Dylan Larkin. He won't have lots of points, but he will have lots of speed and a good shot.

Tell me your comparisons or tell me how mine are.

I'm sorry but none of your comparisons really make sense.

Boeser is an average skater who has a wicked shot and a knack for getting to the right place on the ice.  Skinner generates chances by being an elite skater and strong puck handler.

Virtanen is a strong skater and has a good shot, but while he can throw a solid hit, he has never shown a penchant to being overly aggressive (as a pro) or being a guy that sticks up for his teammates.  Kassian is not a particularly strong skater, but he is extremely strong physically and is always crashing and banging.

Gaudette is overly tenacious for his size, and a relatively strong skater.  Eric Fehr is a big strong player who is often criticized for not being as tenacious as he could be, and is an average skater at best.  

Dahlen is a smart offensively skilled player with great hands and a strong shot, but not considered to be overly special physically or defensively.  Alfredsson was a premier all around player who was more so lauded for work ethic and being well polished in every aspect.

Goldobin is a pure skill player, great at skating shooting and puck handling, while his effectiveness off the puck is his greatest weakness.  Larkin is extremely intense while he's on the ice all the time, and is a very versatile defender.

For me (style-wise not necessarily not production wise):

Boeser - Mark Stone

Virtanen - Raffi Torres (if he picks up his aggressive play)

Gaudette - Brendan Gallagher

Dahlen - Mike Cammaleri 

Goldobin - Alex Semin

In terms of playing styles this is what I see, (does not reflect they will have the same success)

Brock Boeser - TJ Oshie - Short in stature but heavy bottom which makes him to knock of pucks.  Relentless pursuit of the puck.

Jake Virtanen - Chris Krieder - Fast straight line skater, shoot first mentality, reactionary and less processing of the game.  Undisciplined

Adam Gaudette - Mike Fisher - tenacious, chip on a shoulder, plays both ends effectively, solid energy - tweener pivot.

Jonathan Dahlen - Mats Zuccarello /Sebastian Aho - won;t let size deter their ability to make plays intight and in the dirty areas. Great vision

Nikolay Goldobin - Tyler Ennis - shifty, creative offensively, but play the perimeter, but when they go to the net, they score some pretty plays

Olli Juolevi - Jay Bowmeester/Alex Pietrangelo - nothing spectacular in any area but solid in all forms.  Think the game, and stabilize the backend

Guillaume Brisebois - Dan Hamhuis - calming influence and leadership on the backend.  Could do more, but are solid nonetheless

Will Lockwood - Vladimir Sobotka - versatile and gritty sandpaper. Speedy and off the rush plays are calling cards

Jordan Subban - Torey Krug - high offensive rewards but defensive coverage reads are constant problems.

A Canuck fan from Rhode Island eh? How'd that happen?

Brock Boeser - Luc Robitaille. Don't get your knickers in a twist, I am not saying he will ever reach the numbers that Robitaille had but in terms of play style, I think it is fair. Not the best skater, fantastic shot, and release, and gets to the goalscoring areas.

Jake Virtanen - Going back for this one, Tomas Sandstrom. This was actually a comparison that my dad brought up, and I see it in JV's game quite a bit. If he even becomes half the player that Sandstrom was we got a real good piece to the puzzle

Adam Gaudette - A more shoot first Travis Zajac

Jonathan Dahlen - A smaller Milan Michalek

Nikolay Goldobin - Nikita Kucherov

11 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Trying...not to be...sarcastic...

Boeser = Bossy

Virtanen = Shanahan

Gaudette = Gardner

Dahlen = Selanne

Goldobin = Bure

Demko = Roy

Juolevi = Neidermayer

Sorry:( I did try.

I'm assuming Valeri Bure because in no way whatsoever is Goldobin Pavel Bure. 

6 minutes ago, zzbottom said:

Boeser = Kyle Okposo
Virtanen = Kyle Beach
Gaudette = Kyle Brodziak
Dahlen = Palffy? I wish. Burakovsky 
Goldobin = Semin
Demko = Schneider
Juoveli = Maatta before he forgot how to play

1. Lol JV is a far better skater and has a far better shot.

2. Burakovsky is 4 inches shorter and a better skater

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Alf is in again before a Mod posts this OP needs a Tag:)

Another win!!!

our prospects are the best!  Okay, maybe not:(

Alf, I have seen you make this comment on a few different threads, so I want to clear the air on this.

Not every thread requires tags. Only those in the Proposals and Armchair GM'ing sub-forum, and the Trades, Rumours, Signings sub-forum.

This is laid out in the Sticky at the top of both of the aforementioned sub-forums. Threads in all other sub-forums DO NOT require tags.

Hope that clears up any confusion that yourself or any of the other members may have. Cheers.

3 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

I'm sorry but none of your comparisons really make sense.

Boeser is an average skater who has a wicked shot and a knack for getting to the right place on the ice.  Skinner generates chances by being an elite skater and strong puck handler.

Virtanen is a strong skater and has a good shot, but while he can throw a solid hit, he has never shown a penchant to being overly aggressive (as a pro) or being a guy that sticks up for his teammates.  Kassian is not a particularly strong skater, but he is extremely strong physically and is always crashing and banging.

Gaudette is overly tenacious for his size, and a relatively strong skater.  Eric Fehr is a big strong player who is often criticized for not being as tenacious as he could be, and is an average skater at best.  

Dahlen is a smart offensively skilled player with great hands and a strong shot, but not considered to be overly special physically or defensively.  Alfredsson was a premier all around player who was more so lauded for work ethic and being well polished in every aspect.

Goldobin is a pure skill player, great at skating shooting and puck handling, while his effectiveness off the puck is his greatest weakness.  Larkin is extremely intense while he's on the ice all the time, and is a very versatile defender.

For me (style-wise not necessarily not production wise):

Boeser - Mark Stone

Virtanen - Raffi Torres (if he picks up his aggressive play)

Gaudette - Brendan Gallagher

Dahlen - Mike Cammaleri 

Goldobin - Alex Semin

Kassian = Torres :bigblush:

Brock Boeser - Kyle Okposo

Jake Virtanen - Raffi Torres

Adam Gaudette - Alex Killorn

Bo Horvat - Ryan O'Reilly

Sven Baertschi - Ondrej Palat

Markus Granlund - Jiri Hudler

Jonathan Dahlen - Mike Cammalleri

Nikolay Goldobin - Nikita Kucherov (I think he's the most skilled prospect we have)

Olli Juolevi - Marc Edouard Vlasic

Ben Hutton - Jake Gardiner

Nikita Tryamkin - Andrej Sustr (could be the next Chara)

Troy Stecher - Tyson Barrie

Thatcher Demko - Corey Schneider

I think we have a decent prospect pool. We're just missing the high end talent. 

I think Juolevi could turn into a Ryan Suter #1D and Tryamkin has shown flashes of that dominant #1 like Chara.

We're just missing a 1C imo. Patrick, Hischier or someone else could fill that hole in this draft.

1 hour ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Alf, I have seen you make this comment on a few different threads, so I want to clear the air on this.

Not every thread requires tags. Only those in the Proposals and Armchair GM'ing sub-forum, and the Trades, Rumours, Signings sub-forum.

This is laid out in the Sticky at the top of both of the aforementioned sub-forums. Threads in all other sub-forums DO NOT require tags.

Hope that clears up any confusion that yourself or any of the other members may have. Cheers.

Is there some unwritten rule that states Alf can't make a VERY harmless post such as pointing out he's in before the Mods Tag post?  I read a great many posts here, where there are insulting and demeaning comments, yet a harmless post is openly criticized?  Seriously we are more concerned about Alf than so many nasty posts?  Alf is now hurt, and upset for being singled out. :(  

Just now, Alflives said:

Is there some unwritten rule that states Alf can't make a VERY harmless post such as pointing out he's in before the Mods Tag post?  I read a great many posts here, where there are insulting and demeaning comments, yet a harmless post is openly criticized?  Seriously we are more concerned about Alf than so many nasty posts?  Alf is now hurt, and upset for being singled out. :(  

It was not my intention to single you out in a negative way Alf. I was simply trying to help as this is a common misconception that I was trying to clear up. 

7 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

It was not my intention to single you out in a negative way Alf. I was simply trying to help as this is a common misconception that I was trying to clear up. 

Considering another Mod gave .Alf a negative mark for the harmless post, Alf wonders if there is Moderator collusion?  :P

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Considering another Mod gave .Alf a negative mark for the harmless post, Alf wonders if there is Moderator collusion?  :P

There is no "collusion" Alf. We all are people just like you, who get upset or are annoyed at certain things, just like you. Let's just agree to disagree on this one and keep this to private messages from here on out so we don't de-rail the topic at hand. I was merely trying to help the fuzzy little alien, not hurt his feelings. My apologies. 

Archived