The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Comparing our prospects

JAVALE MCGEE

2 minutes ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

There is no "collusion" Alf. We all are people just like you, who get upset or are annoyed at certain things, just like you. Let's just agree to disagree on this one and keep this to private messages from here on out so we don't de-rail the topic at hand. I was merely trying to help the fuzzy little alien, not hurt his feelings. My apologies. 

Would you like to chime in then? What comparisons do you have for some of our prospects? 

I forgot about our defensive and goalie prospects. My bad.

Juolevi - Karlsson because they are both great playmakers with incredible IQ

Brisebois - Garrison because he has some offensive potential and h is decent on the backend

Subban - Y. Weber because he has a hard shot but not the best defense

Demko - Schneider because they both play a similar stay in deep game

37 minutes ago, ken kaniff said:

Brock Boeser - Kyle Okposo

Jake Virtanen - Raffi Torres

Adam Gaudette - Alex Killorn

Bo Horvat - Ryan O'Reilly

Sven Baertschi - Ondrej Palat

Markus Granlund - Jiri Hudler

Jonathan Dahlen - Mike Cammalleri

Nikolay Goldobin - Nikita Kucherov (I think he's the most skilled prospect we have)

Olli Juolevi - Marc Edouard Vlasic

Ben Hutton - Jake Gardiner

Nikita Tryamkin - Andrej Sustr (could be the next Chara)

Troy Stecher - Tyson Barrie

Thatcher Demko - Corey Schneider

I think we have a decent prospect pool. We're just missing the high end talent. 

I think Juolevi could turn into a Ryan Suter #1D and Tryamkin has shown flashes of that dominant #1 like Chara.

We're just missing a 1C imo. Patrick, Hischier or someone else could fill that hole in this draft.

Are you a Tampa fan?

My take...

Boeser- A beta version of Brett Hull.  Similar flow, finds the sweet spot and rifles the puck. Needs a set up man to realize his potential. Not saying he will ever reach the same heights, just similar in style and skill set. 

Virtannen- Kieder.  Needs to play an uptempo game, get physically involved and shoot the puck. His improved 2 way game will get him into the show, then his natural abilities will surface. If the guy gets his fitness up to the level of Bo, watch out, he is fast enough to out skate most players.  

Gaudette- someone earlier said Mike Fisher.  If he is anywhere near as good, awesome. 

Demko- Roy ;)  Screw it, he will be the best goalie to lace them up in a nucks uniform. Will go down as the best player from his draft year. 

Lockwood- Gallagher/Hansen/Burrows Has a motor, hits, forechecks and irritates the heck out opposing players. If his scoring touch translates then we are going to love this guy. 

OJ- Tempo Numamnen (sp?). In an era of Bourque/Coffee/Carlyle/Macinnis/Leetch and Housley Tempo was often overlooked, but had advanced stats been around he might have been considered the best of the bunch. Smooth, always does the right thing with the puck, sublime at neutralizing the rush.  Gets good points but is so reliable defensively that he takes tougher minutes and allows others to take the spotlight. OJ is going to be our best defender for years to come. 

Dahlen-Dahlen. Like father like son. Great secondary scorer and bonified top six forward. Does all the right things.  

Goldy- Beta version of Molginy if he puts it together.  Valeri Bure without the fundamentalism otherwise. He skates like Almo just hasn't the maturity that Almo did when he came into the league. The tools are there, but like Boeser, he needs the center that can put the puck on his stick.  

Brisbois- Brisbois. Stalwart of the last cup teams in Montreal.  Good all round defender that has great leadship abilities.  

Thats all I got for optimism tonight.  Working a night shift and turning 43 at midnight. &^@#. 

EmW 

28 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Are you a Tampa fan?

Perhaps lol. 

I watch Canucks and Tampa more than any other team so I see how our prospects play similarly to theirs. Those comparisons are based on me watching Tampa games when I can and the highlights from our prospects. I don't think they're exactly the same but very similar play styles. 

Goldobin however plays exactly like Kucherov. If you had a highlight reel of Goldy and Kucherov you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. They score the exact same way and look identical.

Just now, ken kaniff said:

Perhaps lol. 

I watch Canucks and Tampa more than any other team so I see how our prospects play similarly to theirs. Those comparisons are based on me watching Tampa games when I can and the highlights from our prospects. I don't think they're exactly the same but very similar play styles. 

Goldobin however plays exactly like Kucherov. If you had a highlight reel of Goldy and Kucherov you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. They score the exact same way and look identical.

Tyramkin is already better than sustr

4 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

I'm sorry but none of your comparisons really make sense.

Boeser is an average skater who has a wicked shot and a knack for getting to the right place on the ice.  Skinner generates chances by being an elite skater and strong puck handler.

Virtanen is a strong skater and has a good shot, but while he can throw a solid hit, he has never shown a penchant to being overly aggressive (as a pro) or being a guy that sticks up for his teammates.  Kassian is not a particularly strong skater, but he is extremely strong physically and is always crashing and banging.

Gaudette is overly tenacious for his size, and a relatively strong skater.  Eric Fehr is a big strong player who is often criticized for not being as tenacious as he could be, and is an average skater at best.  

Dahlen is a smart offensively skilled player with great hands and a strong shot, but not considered to be overly special physically or defensively.  Alfredsson was a premier all around player who was more so lauded for work ethic and being well polished in every aspect.

Goldobin is a pure skill player, great at skating shooting and puck handling, while his effectiveness off the puck is his greatest weakness.  Larkin is extremely intense while he's on the ice all the time, and is a very versatile defender.

For me (style-wise not necessarily not production wise):

Boeser - Mark Stone

Virtanen - Raffi Torres (if he picks up his aggressive play)

Gaudette - Brendan Gallagher

Dahlen - Mike Cammaleri 

Goldobin - Alex Semin

I agree with most of what you say. My only things would be Boeser with a bit higher ceiling if he hits it is another question. a stall type?

Virtanen reminds me of Torres as well, but I think their is more to him Like a Torres with the ability to score 30 goals like big bert one day

Gaudette is too fresh IMO to gauge but some scouts say he has the skill to maybe one dat be a solid #2 centre

Dahlen is a guy I have wanted and so glad we got him. I will go out on a limb and say points wise he could be as good as backstrom. His D on  the other hand will need work.

Goldy also is someone I was hoping we could snag in the draft. Might never be that great away from the puck, but is a guy if paired with a playmaking centre and a winger with a great one-timer (jake) He could put up a lot of points in the NHL. We haven't had an electrifying player like him in a long time.

Again these are all best case scenarios but it would be nice if we get a few bounces our way. Plus if we pick top 2 it will only help at least 2 of these guys reach their potential. Since we don't really have a playmaking centre after hank.

These are just my opinions I am only basing this on clips I have watched on each player.

BTW if we pick 1st who would you take?

Bo Horvat - Patrick Bergeron

Brock Boeser - Zach Parise

Thatcher Demko - Jonathan Quick

Olli Juolevi - Oliver Ekman-Larsson (if he is able to produce offense at the NHL level, if not he is more like a Dan Hamhuis)

Nikita Tryamkin - Zdeno Chara

Troy Stecher - Torey Krug

Adam Gaudette - Derek Stephen

Nikolay Goldobin - Alex Semin

Jonathan Dahlen - Filip Forsberg

Bo Horvat - O'Reilly

Jake Virtanen - Killorn

Brock Boeser - Oshie

Thatcher Demko - Holtby

Olli Juolevi - Fowler

Nikita Tryamkin - Hjalmarsson

Troy Stecher - Spurgeon

Adam Gaudette - Stepan

Nikolay Goldobin - Filppula

Jonathan Dahlen - Tatar

4 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Bo Horvat - Patrick Bergeron

Brock Boeser - Zach Parise

Thatcher Demko - Jonathan Quick

Olli Juolevi - Oliver Ekman-Larsson (if he is able to produce offense at the NHL level, if not he is more like a Dan Hamhuis)

Nikita Tryamkin - Zdeno Chara

Troy Stecher - Torey Krug

Adam Gaudette - Derek Stephen

Nikolay Goldobin - Alex Semin

Jonathan Dahlen - Filip Forsberg

After reading your list I  think its pretty bang on I had Goldy compared to Backstrom I meant to say Kucherov After taking the advice of another poster I watched there highlight packs they are very similar. Dahlen reminds me of the the other Forsberg. Though obviously the chances of him becoming that are pretty far fetched. especially on his 200-foot game. I keep hearing he won't be here next year because of the fact he is not used to the smaller ice surface. Well at some point wouldn't he have to get used to it.He can always start in Utica, and if he earns a promotion great, if not he can adapt on the farm. 

I have heard this more than once. That making the transition to the smaller ice surface is easier than going from small to big. OJ and Laine both said the same thing last year when asked about making the switch. Oj said when he came over to play for London, he was surprised that it was actually easier for him. Laine when asked the same question and if he thought it would affect his scoring with less room to work with said the same thing. Dido with Austin. Obviously, they were right based on the phenomenal seasons they had.,

Some people who just like to find any reason to be negative have said Dahlen will never wear the orca this year since he will need aa lot of time getting used to the smaller ice surface. If He signs a pro contract his chezck team has to release him. As you can tell I am very high on this kid and can't believe we got him for Burrows.  I hope all of our young kids are forced to earn their chance under the new coach. As a fan for 31 years, I haven't been this excited about the direction this team is taking. Brock Goldy Dahlen Demko Oj Gaudette Bo Jake Stetch tram hutton Subban Guddy. A chance at a #1 centre and hopefully JB can trade into the top 6 Tanev and a little plus and could nab Timothy Liljegren My goodness what a bright future Edler should also return a good piece. Ya it might be tough next year with the rooks going through growing pains, but they would be fun to watch and may surprise people. Or fail miserably securing us another lottery pick in a very very deep draft. cheers

Archived