The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks interested in Krueger for Head Coach

Ossi Vaananen

1 minute ago, SliteriousBlackbeard said:

People underestimate green. He uses young guys in areas they did not even feel comfortable and gained confidence in themselves. When we got Baertschi he was sent to Green, Green put him out there and helped him gain confidence now look. I'm not saying Green is best, I love him in Utica (wish he would stay forever, pipe dream I know) however I feel he is underestimated on CDC. He did wonders for Virtanen this year. 

I heard this about Green too; he builds confidence in his players.  Jake was sent down, and had no confidence left.  Then he looked good by the end of the season.  I still think we need a Sutter type of resume in our next coach, but of the guys with no resume, TG might be the best option.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Quenneville is let go, I'd hope that Linden/Benning would go hard after him. With a vengeance. While this team may not look like the most exciting team to coach, I could see Quenneville being interested in the challenge. 

If they landed JQ it would be their best move as a management team by far. 

I think an interesting aspect of the potential of a Krueger hiring is the stability it could offer to this Canucks re-build. 

I really feel that moving forwards, with the amount of young players entering the team in the next few years, there needs to be a really solid foundation within the organization that players will feel secure around and can just focus on getting better without a sideshow of firings and hirings.

In regards to the expectations of the next head coach of this team, the Canucks are in a difficult situation. The next chapter for the Canucks is player development. How do you fit that in with the expectations of a head coach? You need that coach to be fully committed to developing players while delivering acceptable results. For me, that means that the next head coach, ideally, has a role in the management side of the organization as well. To be way more involved in player development, transactions, and scouting. A head coach that is also an "assistant gm" so to say in order to shift the commitment to development rather than just wins and saving your own job. A person that is working under the same expectations, terms and goals as Benning and Linden. Krueger is kind off like a swiss army knife in the aspect, he's pretty much done it all. His experience of management alone would benefit the organization. He just happens to be a solid coach as well. 

Krueger - Benning - Linden

A clear red line throughout the organization

Synergy. 

Namaste. 

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I don't want our coach to look like an overgrown baby.

Yes, that's my reason for not wanting Bourdeu and yes, it's stupid as hell but I own it.

But hes sooooo good.  He can chew a pacifier instead of gum to intimidate the other team.

Joking aside he won't get fired no matter what after what he's done with Minny this year.  And I kind of hate him considering I have Suter, Granlund and Zucker (last pick) in my hockey pool...

11 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I think an interesting aspect of the potential of a Krueger hiring is the stability it could offer to this Canucks re-build. 

I really feel that moving forwards, with the amount of young players entering the team in the next few years, there needs to be a really solid foundation within the organization that players will feel secure around and can just focus on getting better without a sideshow of firings and hirings.

In regards to the expectations of the next head coach of this team, the Canucks are in a difficult situation. The next chapter for the Canucks is player development. How do you fit that in with the expectations of a head coach? You need that coach to be fully committed to developing players while delivering acceptable results. For me, that means that the next head coach, ideally, has a role in the management side of the organization as well. To be way more involved in player development, transactions, and scouting. A head coach that is also an "assistant gm" so to say in order to shift the commitment to development rather than just wins and saving your own job. A person that is working under the same expectations, terms and goals as Benning and Linden. Krueger is kind off like a swiss army knife in the aspect, he's pretty much done it all. His experience of management alone would benefit the organization. He just happens to be a solid coach as well. 

Synergy. 

Namaste. 

Thats a good point, there would be a lot of emphasis on development. If he does need to be paid what he's making running a soccer club tho I think this is probably not in the cards unless he wants a real shot at running an NHL club one more time. Edmonton may have given him the yips on coming back to do that as well. 

Honestly. I wouldn't mind either Kreuger or Green. 

I don't think the other coaches who's teams are in the postseason, will be fired. 

JQ will be given a little rope, considering all that he's accomplished with Chicago. He deserves a little bit of rope there. 

BT will be given some rope, I believe as well. But I honestly cannot see them giving in, to the Laffs. 

AV won't be fired from NY. He's too good of a coach, has made a few runs at Lord Stanley in the short time he's been there. He'll be given some rope as well. 

I think it honestly is Green, and maybe Kreuger. But I also find it difficult to believe that Kreuger would leave his lofty post at SouthHampton to come to Van. It's too comfortable for him at this moment, unless he's looking for a challenge, in that case, maybe. 

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

OT:  Winning the Cup wasn't enough to save Al MacNeil his job (technically he wasn't fired but demoted) for the Habs.  He had the misfortune of not getting along with Henri Richard (who didn't think much of his coaching abilities).

Do you think that was a forehand or backhand slap? Met Henri in the Van airport years ago. Very quiet and unassuming guy. Classy to say the least.

53 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Synergy. 

Namaste. 

This is a very interesting take. I like the thought process here. It would not work with many coaches though. Krueger for sure as he has experience on that side. Green not so much. Guys like Sutter have that experience (God no for him making any perssonel decisions lol Weisbrod is enough of a loose cannon).

I could really see this being a good situation for all parties. Plus if the players know management and coaching are completely on the same page and have a say in who stays and who goes it might give them that little more sense of urgency too. 

Not a lot of downside. Other than Benning and Linden needing to possibly look over their shoulder if things get rocky as Krueger could be seen as an heir apparent at either position especially if they give him AGM experience.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Barring any major transactions this offseason, the Canucks likely project to finish no higher or lower than they did this season.

How does this pass as journalism? 

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think the idea of Quenneville being fired is an utter pipe dream however.

He has term left on his deal with Chicago - signed for three years last January (2016).  I'd be utterly shocked if they let him go - and were that the case, he'd be in as much or more demand than Babcock (would likely take a similar, ridiculous contract to bring him on board).

Gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that firing Quenneville aint gonna happen.  If Chicago made decisions based on two weeks of results, they wouldn't be the franchise they are much longer.  They've cycled through playoff failures before.  That said - I hope they do lose a screw and fire him (I just have little illusion of that happening).

I tend to agree. Chicago doesn't strike me as the type of team to panic. The only way I see him let go is if there is some kind of riff in the locker room we don;t know about.

As for taking the job here.I think we would be more appealing than some think, The guy has already won 3 cups in 6 years> <Maybe he would look at Vancouver as aq challenge to build them into contenders. I do think however if he were to come here, he would be named coach and special advisor to the gm. I still like Krueger tho Maybe he could teach linden how to run a club lol.

3 hours ago, Baggins said:

Finishing 1st in the west and getting swept in the first round could potentially cost him job after a first round exit last year. I wouldn't call it a certainty, but definitely a possibility.

Who out there is better than JQ? If they fire him maybe they can hire WD and hear him say day after day the phrase real good. "how did Bo play tonight4goals 4 assists 9 hits ) "he played real good. How did Megna play willie (0 goals 17 turnovers and a minus 6) "he played real good He will play with the twins Gaunce will stay on the 4th and never be given a chance to show what he's got cuz he's real good on the 4th line

I wonder if we hire Krueger as HC, if Green would be willing to accept a assistant position. that would be the best case scenario. 

he's certainly young enough to take over for Krueger in the future and he gets to learn and grow with the team as well. 

So the Province is reporting Krueger as a candidate for a front office hire and not the next head coach: http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/report-canucks-interested-in-hockey-coachsoccer-exec-krueger

Basically the article says Krueger would become the third voice in the primary leadership group (alongside Linden and Benning).

This makes more sense to me.

Krueger would be the perfect addition to management, especially if we go with a younger head coach like Green.

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So the Province is reporting Krueger as a candidate for a front office hire and not the next head coach: http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/report-canucks-interested-in-hockey-coachsoccer-exec-krueger

Basically the article says Krueger would become the third voice in the primary leadership group (alongside Linden and Benning).

This makes more sense to me.

Krueger would be the perfect addition to management, especially if we go with a younger head coach like Green.

Yeah this would make sense, especially if part of his mandate would be as a liaison for Utica, something that the fans there say has been lacking since Gilman left.  Linden did indeed make a point of them needing to have more focus on the Comets just a week or so ago.

Archived